Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 25-10-2005, 09:15 PM   #1
get_bonked
XG UTE

Default Timing Chain Noise

Has anybody else had any problems with timing chain noise in their JMM motors. I have quite loud timing chain noise from about 1600 revs to 1900 revs. Very distinctly starts at 1600. I was originally told that it would lessen after approx 1000 to 1500 ks but its still there. Any ideas on how to fix it?

94 XG Falcon ute. Phantom mica, bonnet scoop, lowered peddars suspension, 17" chrome quake mags, JMM DEV 5 kit, 2.5" exhaust and JMM extractors, minispool, XR6 ECU, autometer gauges, full pioneer stereo, 2x 10" subs, 2x 6x9 speakers. HAULS **** for a six and beats most eights. What more could you want?
get_bonked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2005, 12:50 AM   #2
FG8PSI

had the same thing with my set up it did go away after a while, but cant remember how long after woulds it stop.
Old 26-10-2005, 08:42 AM   #3
get_bonked
XG UTE

yeah well my motor is probably bout 15,000 ks old now so its not a new motor anymore
94 XG Falcon ute. Phantom mica, bonnet scoop, lowered peddars suspension, 17" chrome quake mags, JMM DEV 5 kit, 2.5" exhaust and JMM extractors, minispool, XR6 ECU, autometer gauges, full pioneer stereo, 2x 10" subs, 2x 6x9 speakers. HAULS **** for a six and beats most eights. What more could you want?
Old 26-10-2005, 09:28 PM   #4
FG8PSI

sorry mate not to sure then, prob best to go past JMM workshop and show them if you can.
Old 26-10-2005, 10:22 PM   #5
get_bonked
XG UTE

That doesnt help me too much when i live in Mackay, QLD and they're in Melbourne!!
Old 26-10-2005, 10:26 PM   #6
FG8PSI

dam sorry mate not to sure, prob give them a ring and see what they say.
Old 27-10-2005, 07:57 AM   #7
get_bonked
XG UTE

Yeah I have but its hard when we're that far away from each other. Prob is is that one of my guides broke and jammed in the timing chain and it jumped a few teeth and bent all my valves and smashed all of my exhaust rocker arms off and i was just wondering if that is why it's making the noise and since it's done it before will it do it again!!!!
Old 27-10-2005, 12:48 PM   #8
get_bonked
XG UTE

ALTHOUGH... I'm pretty sure it was just one of those freak things though coz I've had no problems otherwise.
Old 02-11-2005, 10:26 PM   #9
V8 Ghia
Formally ED I6

Quote:
Originally Posted by get_bonked
Has anybody else had any problems with timing chain noise in their JMM motors. I have quite loud timing chain noise from about 1600 revs to 1900 revs. Very distinctly starts at 1600. I was originally told that it would lessen after approx 1000 to 1500 ks but its still there. Any ideas on how to fix it?
It's a common issue when the head is shaved. My ED does it between 2100-2300rpm, but it didn't start until about 10,000km after the rebuild. Brenden mentioned to me a few months back he figured out how to fix the problem, but I never went any further.

---------------------------
Other
93' ED 5spd 4.0L NA Fairmont
13.75 @ 101mph
V8 Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2005, 09:01 AM   #10
get_bonked
XG UTE

ok thanks for that. I might get back on to them. Its REALLY loud thats all and quite distinct.
Old 07-11-2005, 04:51 PM   #11
INJECTED_250
Custom user title

i have that probelm..... a shorter cam chain would fix it perfectly.. im pretty sure its the drivers timing chain guide and the angle with the upper gear
INJECTED_250 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2005, 10:41 PM   #12
get_bonked
XG UTE

Have you had the problem and is that the way you fixed it?
Old 10-12-2005, 01:18 AM   #13
Wild EB
custom EB

Try a new timing tensioner they are only about $30 from Geoff Walsh, fairly easy to put in.
Wild EB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2006, 02:24 PM   #14
SLYEL
Starter Motor

timing chain tensioner for sure last time i had my el at mockys i think he changed it now it is pretty sweet ,but they all do it try thicker oil and keep your eye on the oil level wen it drops slightly it can be noisy ,ive had same problem full dev5 kit 5spd el futura,jmm interceptor tuner
SLYEL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2006, 11:03 PM   #15
tjb45

How could a drop in oil level make a difference. The oil pickup is at the bottom of the sump. So in reality the only way it would get nosier is if there was less oil pressure, which shouldn't change with a drop in oil level, unless the sump was nearly empty and the pickup was starving.

Cheers
tjb45 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post