Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 24-08-2015, 07:43 PM   #31
Ippy289XP
Banned

Default Re: QLD Drivers 9 points for using mobile fom Sept 1..

If I see someone beside me at the lights texting I rev my car and move forward bit.

Every time I have done this the car texting goes to take off.

Couple of months ago one of these idiots got tee boned because of this(nothing bad, only got hit by a car doing about 10k)

He was ****ed off big time and was also charged with dangerous driving.

Since then,I have seen this dick head doing it again!

You can't help stupid!
Ippy289XP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2015, 01:05 AM   #32
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ippy289XP View Post
If I see someone beside me at the lights texting I rev my car and move forward bit.

Every time I have done this the car texting goes to take off.

Couple of months ago one of these idiots got tee boned because of this(nothing bad, only got hit by a car doing about 10k)

He was ****ed off big time and was also charged with dangerous driving.

Since then,I have seen this dick head doing it again!

You can't help stupid!
Hate to say it but you are not much better than the person texting causing another innocent motorist to have an accident.
You will get you what you deserve one day for being stupid.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2015, 06:40 AM   #33
LTDHO
The one and only

Ban phones all together. Concentrate on the road and the person you are talking too.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2015, 06:47 AM   #34
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I don't answer the phone while I'm driving, I struggle to breathe and do something else at the same time let alone pay attention to someone over the phone.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2015, 07:51 AM   #35
Road Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC View Post
You are allowed to toot/honk them; the horn can be used to warn of impending danger......
LOL i would never do that ....
Road Games is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2015, 12:04 PM   #36
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Express View Post
Now I know I’m on my own with that kind of thinking and times have moved on but I do believe you can go a few minutes without answering or making a call.
Its more on Facebook or twitter or the other pointless mundane social media. They need to reply to someone getting a coffee at 3pm on a Wednesday and liking the photo of said coffee.

Very rarely does a phone need to be used in an emergency situation.

Also I would like to see police officers stop texting and talking on the phone while driving cars.
Old 25-08-2015, 06:32 PM   #37
Ippy289XP
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by trublu View Post
Hate to say it but you are not much better than the person texting causing another innocent motorist to have an accident.
You will get you what you deserve one day for being stupid.
If the dick head beside me was paying attention there wouldn't have been an accident!!!
Old 25-08-2015, 06:43 PM   #38
marty351
Shenanigans..............

Zebra crossing could have been fatal. Or any pedestrian crossing. No need to instigate the idiot.
marty351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2015, 08:18 PM   #39
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ippy289XP View Post
If the dick head beside me was paying attention there wouldn't have been an accident!!!
Does not absolve your actions.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2015, 09:52 AM   #40
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I feel the penalty for texting whilst driving should be an automatic on the spot 30 day licence suspension and $500 fine.Second offence automatic 12mths $2000 fine.
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2015, 06:46 PM   #41
Ippy289XP
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by trublu View Post
Does not absolve your actions.
Firstly, an action cannot be absolved, only the guilt associated with said action.

I felt no such guilt. I revved my engine simply to remind the other driver he was on a road with other vehicles whilst he was on the phone.
The ensuing event's were entirely his fault for not paying attention.
If anyone is guilty, it is he, not I. Perhaps you can absolve him.
Old 26-08-2015, 11:04 PM   #42
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by blk6t View Post
Since having a phone cradle and Bluetooth I don't need to touch the phone at all. Taking calls is no more a distraction than having a passenger, it all runs through the cars audio system. The good thing is most cars now have this technology. I can even have my text messages read out to me and reply by talking through my assistant Siri. Even still most days I ignore texts because when I drive, its my time.

The bad things are that younger drivers are not utililising this technology and it ****** me off. Most new cars that P Platers are buying have this tech in built. Aftermarket Bluetooth systems are readily available for older cars. I can clearly see when someone is texting and driving and its dangerous and scary to watch.

Although having said all that, it's often not texting that's the distraction, its social media...facebook, snapchat, instagram etc...these apps need you to physically control the phone and it's those apps that need to be blocked on a phone when driving.

So I say bring in 9 demerits points if caught with a phone in your hand, first offence.

I agree with you about taking calls with a remote device. You do this with both hands on the wheel and looking out the screen. I did it for years when mobile phones first became available. If you can't talk and concentrate on your driving then you should never carry a passenger, as you are probably one of those people who look at their passenger when engaged in a conversation.

The biggest problem is people texting. They have to look at the screen when doing this. Just today I was driving down the Gold Coast Hwy towards Burleigh and I noticed the left lane going much slower than the right. I came across the culprit after a while. It was a tradie driving a Falcon ute, weaving around his lane with his right hand on the wheel and his left hand texting. Nuff said.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2015, 08:22 AM   #43
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Quote:
Originally Posted by blk6t View Post
Since having a phone cradle and Bluetooth I don't need to touch the phone at all. Taking calls is no more a distraction than having a passenger, it all runs through the cars audio system. The good thing is most cars now have this technology. I can even have my text messages read out to me and reply by talking through my assistant Siri. Even still most days I ignore texts because when I drive, its my time.

The bad things are that younger drivers are not utililising this technology and it ****** me off. Most new cars that P Platers are buying have this tech in built. Aftermarket Bluetooth systems are readily available for older cars. I can clearly see when someone is texting and driving and its dangerous and scary to watch.
I agree with you with this, however even if you are using voice commands are you not diverting your attention away from concentrating on the road for a split second to use your concentration to speak the correct command?

Even that split second could cause an incident.
Old 27-08-2015, 11:29 AM   #44
Speedyblue
Starter Motor

While I was in the US (Colorado) I discovered P-platers aren't allowed to use a phone, but anyone else can. I'm referring to talking on the phone, not texting or updating your bookface.

Obviously, some people get too 'involved' in their conversations on the phone and that's where the issues come from; they forget they are driving and the talking takes precedence.
Speedyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2015, 12:31 PM   #45
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDHO View Post
Ban phones all together. Concentrate on the road and the person you are talking too.
Not only while driving...
I was out at dinner with a friend of mine (a restaurant owner) and she said how annoying it was to see people sitting at a meal and instead of talking to one another, both would be buried in their phones. She said "If a man did that to me when I was out with him I'd just get up and walk away".

At that point my hand sloooowly moved out of my coat pocket where it had been reaching for my phone...
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2015, 04:44 PM   #46
Kingsley
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by castellan View Post
Young drivers are the worse, so I am informed, that the phone rules their life and they can not keep away from it and it's causing a lot of danger on the roads, that we now have to have such strict laws to try to prevent the stupidity of such people.
No discrimination here in the Hunter, All age groups and walks of life are doing it. People too busy with their head down at the lights and missing the green isn't just young people. Every second car seems to be doing it.

Where I pick my son up from school there's usually a fleet of middle aged mums who are busy throwing u-turns over double lines in front of oncoming traffic out the front of the school with phones wedged in their ear so they can get as close as they can to the gate. Best part is none of them miss a beat while they get the other kids out of the car one handed and walk down to the gate still with the phone wedged in their ear!!

I've also seen a handful of tradies that are not only talking on the phone while driving, but doing their paperwork at the same time!! Multi tasking at it's most dangerous.
Kingsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2015, 04:53 PM   #47
Beastie
The Terrain Tamer
Donating Member3

I have a 23 yo and a 19 yo and when I was teaching them how to drive, I told them both that if they ever get caught driving with their phone, I would take their car off them!

So far so good...Not that they would tell me
Old 27-08-2015, 08:20 PM   #48
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by superpursuit05 View Post
No discrimination here in the Hunter, All age groups and walks of life are doing it. People too busy with their head down at the lights and missing the green isn't just young people. Every second car seems to be doing it.

Where I pick my son up from school there's usually a fleet of middle aged mums who are busy throwing u-turns over double lines in front of oncoming traffic out the front of the school with phones wedged in their ear so they can get as close as they can to the gate. Best part is none of them miss a beat while they get the other kids out of the car
I reckon I see more people over the age of 25 on the phone while driving than people under the age of 25. Of course that's because the majority of drivers are over the age of 25. This is not an age problem, it's right across the board of green P platers to people in their mid 50s or so.

Hardly see red p platers on the phone. Probably because they are not confident or comfortable enough to do it straight away.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2015, 09:40 PM   #49
twodogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAZZLR View Post
In the truck I see every other driver texting while they pass me it is an absolute joke !!

Yep,I see the same **** every day too .
The best one I saw one day ,a car all over the road so I got up on his left side and he had his head down using his laptop with both hands. Blew the **** out of air horns he threw it on the floor pretty quickly.
twodogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2015, 10:03 AM   #50
The G6ET Spot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT0132 View Post
In my view this type of offence has the potential for the same degree of catastrophic consequences as drink driving.

That being the case loss of license and a fine should be the most likely outcome if caught.

I don't get why losing 9 points only occurs if caught a second time
I agree.
If the authorities think that it is as bad as drink driving let the penalty reflect it.

I would have it as 1 month suspension for 1st offence. The 3 months for 2nd. Then the morons may have a second thought before using it.

The things that I see while driving the truck are just beyond belief sometimes.
The best being a girl driving through the M5 tunnel in Sydney doing 40kph with her laptop sitting on her lap opened up doing whatever she thought was more important than driving.
Fortunately I had an offsider with that took a pic of her (she didn't even bat an eyelid when she noticed him doing it) and I contacted the police.
People like that shouldn't be on the road EVER!

Last edited by The G6ET Spot; 28-08-2015 at 10:12 AM.
The G6ET Spot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2015, 03:12 PM   #51
xrystl

Quote:
Originally Posted by twodogs View Post
Yep,I see the same **** every day too .
The best one I saw one day ,a car all over the road so I got up on his left side and he had his head down using his laptop with both hands. Blew the **** out of air horns he threw it on the floor pretty quickly.
I do the same , I get as close to the drivers door as I can then hit the horn it gives them a real reality check .
xrystl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2015, 09:59 PM   #52
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i miss phones with oldskoools buttons

you could punch a half decent txt out just by feel and not be all over the road

bring them back
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2015, 10:25 PM   #53
castellan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by superpursuit05 View Post

Where I pick my son up from school there's usually a fleet of middle aged mums who are busy throwing u-turns over double lines in front of oncoming traffic out the front of the school with phones wedged in their ear so they can get as close as they can to the gate. Best part is none of them miss a beat while they get the other kids out of the car one handed and walk down to the gate still with the phone wedged in their ear!!

I've also seen a handful of tradies that are not only talking on the phone while driving, but doing their paperwork at the same time!! Multi tasking at it's most dangerous.
Sure they are, but it's young girls that are the worst, not all young girls mind they hear it beep and have to go look directly.

Metro boys are the next mob that can't control their urge for phone use.

Trades do as you say, but are mainly not as stupid as some and have good reason to be on the phone because they have too, as it's not just for a load of bull.
Truckies can use UHF and they have to.
Cops have to as well.
But they don't text do they, but if they do well

I have an idiot builder mate who was always on the phone when driving and has never had a smash because of using the phone, I have said why don't you get hands free phone. he is a full on rubber neck looking at woman in cars or walking about, I say yer yer yer keep ya pants on and watch the road tiger.
The bastard was laying his signature out front my house, 1st gear then 2ed he was doing well, then got way out of control and lost it, so I have black marks all the way up the street now from my place. he will never live that one down.
castellan is offline   Reply With Quote