Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 13-02-2006, 11:20 PM   #1
Crapozo
Starter Motor

Default Work experience?

Hello,

I sometimes hear that people can get work experience in a particular industry with low pay or no pay at all
But the thing is i dont understand where they get these work?

So for example i want to get work experience in the automotive industry, how could i get that?

Crapozo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2006, 11:38 PM   #2
outback_ute
Ute Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

Are you talking about work experience for school? I wrote to 10 companies explaining about the work experience and my interest in their industry, and I got offers from 4 of them (major companies).

Post up what you are interested in and where you are, there may even be people on the forums who can help you out with work experience or contacts.
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2006, 11:52 PM   #3
Crapozo
Starter Motor

Not not talking about school, just general work experience
Old 14-02-2006, 12:08 AM   #4
RegSpec
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Exactly what area of the automotive industry are you interested in?
Mechanical? Sales? Spare parts?
There are so many facets to the auto trade......
New ride....07' RSpec manual Typhoon in Winter White....factory sunroof, Premium sound, Process West intercooler, upsized tubing, valve springs, 1000cc injectors, Delphi intank pump,*modified turbo, 4" dump, 5" cat, dual 2 1/2" Xforce exhaust, Mal Wood Opt 5 clutch, Herrod shifter, Ozrace coilovers with adj. Whiteline bars, 6 spot Brembos,
Edit by Crescent Motorsport.....382rwkws @ 1150nms on E85....
RegSpec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2006, 12:22 AM   #5
Crapozo
Starter Motor

Well to be specific,

I have very little knowledge of automobiles, so would it be possible to get work experience in
Automobile building or Fabrication of Automobile parts (preferably with sheet metal).
Old 14-02-2006, 12:47 AM   #6
16wantsI6
iRegular crossmember

just look in your local directory and find every Auto building or Fabrication of Automobile parts place you can, ring them up and say you want to do work experience and you are not looking to be paid. Most employers will jump at the opourtunity of free labour (lol dont be offended) but you will get experience aswell. Heck one of my mates did this and ended up with an apprenticeship!

ps. if you can try and find a company run by bretherans or other religouse people. (they dont believe in free labour one of my mates did a metal fabrication work experience through school with bretherans and got $800!!

haha so go for it, ring every company you can find and you will be bound to find one that'll take you on!

5 spd manual
2 1/2" manta S/S exhaust
After market alpine/soundstream stereo

18" tyhpoons
superlows waiting to go in....
spoilerless
16wantsI6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2006, 05:04 PM   #7
M14A-Mclaren
Foo Fighter

A mate of mine recently visited Aus, he said he went to a Auto Electrician and the guy offered him $5.90 an hour, I think he told it to shove it somewhere dark. I have to get 2400 hours of work experience by the time I've finished my course at polytechnic, so work experience is crucial, sometimes garages aren't that keen to take on a person unless they will actually be helpful to them.
M14A-Mclaren is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2006, 07:22 PM   #8
Crapozo
Starter Motor

ok Thankyou for the advice everyone,

and one more thing

Is it better to ask for work experience from a large company or small one? like which one is more willing to teach you things because i wouldnt want to go there and have them to tell me to clean up all day (would they?) . And if i get alot of job experiences for e.g in welding and metal work, could i then get a paid job in metal work? can work experience be that valuable?
Old 16-02-2006, 09:53 PM   #9
frenzal
EF XR6

how long is a peice of string?
frenzal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post