Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 21-09-2015, 05:30 PM   #31
snowcone

Default Re: Thoughts on a Lexus LS400?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMXR6T View Post
Lexus = boring. Sign of giving up on life. Yes, I have driven them. Life is too short to waste time. Friend had 1990's V8 , engine problem, too expensive to fix.
Gee in all the years I was on the Soarer forum I never experienced anyone with a V8 failure, and some of these guys were fitting blowers too.
In 10 years I only had to replace the engine ecu when a missfire occurred but I was able to pick up a second hand one from off the forum.
No other engine issues at all.
2002 Ford Explorer

I only drive V8's
snowcone is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 21-09-2015, 05:39 PM   #32
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Lexus = boring. Sign of giving up on life. Yes, I have driven them. Life is too short to waste time. Friend had 1990's V8 , engine problem, too expensive to fix.
too each his own , they are not known to have problems as rule , but like any engine they are prone to be hurt lack of maintenance and abuse especially at 20+ years old .
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2015, 06:51 PM   #33
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Boring is a common argument against Toyota. LS400 is a Toyota , best one they could muster at the time . They are boring as in they just do transport you around in superb comfort without much going wrong with them . So they do lack excitement in a way.
Any car can have issues but LS is probably one of the most reliable cars ever built . Engines are their strong point and are very popular in conversions .
You can even drift it if you like :-)
http://youtu.be/HdVnrT6bAIM
SumoDog68 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 21-09-2015, 07:00 PM   #34
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowcone View Post
Gee in all the years I was on the Soarer forum I never experienced anyone with a V8 failure, and some of these guys were fitting blowers too.
In 10 years I only had to replace the engine ecu when a missfire occurred but I was able to pick up a second hand one from off the forum.
No other engine issues at all.
I’m not rubbishing Soarers as I think they are a pretty smick bit of gear.

My neighbour’s son had a twin turbo one stored in his garage and occasionally he’d come around and start it up.

When he did you would swear the space shuttle landed next door, it was amazingly loud.

It really did sound tuff but 5 or 6 years ago he blew it up.

All he would say when I asked him how it happened was he pushed it a bit too hard.

He was a car nut and it was in great nick and lowered on a nice set of rims.

If you can get one at a good price they are well worth owning.
Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2015, 08:29 PM   #35
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

What happened to the Toyota of the 1990s?

Honda and Toyota from the 1990s were banging out some wicked cars.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 21-09-2015, 09:21 PM   #36
Warrenk

I have a 1UZFE in a kit car I own. These motors are almost bullet proof. They rev well and sound great. Parts aren't an issue, even with the lower dollar value against US they are still reasonably priced delivered to Australia.
It is a reasonable size job to replace the timing belt, but doable at home(change the water pump as well when changing a timing belt).

Does the motor in the LS400 have the 1UZ with the variable cam timing?

Check out lextreme.com , this is a good web site and they have an excellent forum as well.

Warren
Old 21-09-2015, 09:28 PM   #37
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrenk View Post
I have a 1UZFE in a kit car I own. These motors are almost bullet proof. They rev well and sound great. Parts aren't an issue, even with the lower dollar value against US they are still reasonably priced delivered to Australia.
It is a reasonable size job to replace the timing belt, but doable at home(change the water pump as well when changing a timing belt).

Does the motor in the LS400 have the 1UZ with the variable cam timing?

Check out lextreme.com , this is a good web site and they have an excellent forum as well.

Warren
Vvti version was introduced in 98 together with 5 speed auto.
SumoDog68 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2015, 10:56 PM   #38
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

The Soarer also came out with !JZ 2.5.. 6..Little brother to the 3.0 Supra 2J ..
I have a forged 1UZ in Mustang shape Celica..With 80mm turbo..
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...ght=1uz+celica
The are used big time in NZ stock cars where max capacity is 4.0..
The VVTI engine breathed and revved much better.. As said had lighter rods and higher compression so boost threshold wasn't as tough as earlier engines..
The cam belts are easy to change in themselves .. Its ALL the accessories in the way..
Prasac family has black Capri with is engine with comfortable 1000 h.p

The Soarer itself will be like any luxury car with age.. Think LTD 20 or so years old?? Heaps depends on how its cared for ? As in ware a tear on seats etc..
The suspension is heavy and strong.. The cross member could easy do the job in a Landcruiser.. The where NEVER built to be a performance car.. Luxury cruiser..The starter motor is in a strange place.. In the valley under inlet...
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4

Last edited by ebxr8240; 21-09-2015 at 11:15 PM.
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 22-09-2015, 11:18 AM   #39
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo View Post
What happened to the Toyota of the 1990s?

Honda and Toyota from the 1990s were banging out some wicked cars.
yes they had some good cars , even a little earlier, if you had a look at a high spec ma70 supra, they where a pretty flash bit of gear, Tems suspension (Toyota electronically modulated suspension ) , 3.0 6 cyl turbo, targa roof, quite nice interior, and built like a brick out house, the only downer was the 7m engine was a bit prone to eat head gasgets, but it was fixable, they came Na with the 3.0 6, and i think also had a 4 cyl turbo model ?

Edit : its surprising just how good some of the toyo stuff was , some models came out with torsen diffs and all sorts of good gear, but a lot of this stuff slipped by un noticed to the general public.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 23-09-2015, 12:37 AM   #40
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik View Post
As you become an old fart , practical and sensible starts to sound better and better for some reason .
My Dad had an eclectic array of cars over his life, from the practical to the absurd. He battled Lymphoma for around 10 years. Towards the end, when he knew he was dying, and was putting his affairs in order, shedding his assets, planning his funeral, etc, he went out and bought a Camry.

As far as I am concerned, they can bury me in my Ford.
2 users like this post:
Old 23-09-2015, 05:44 PM   #41
Carrion

Love luxury cruisers. I wanted to buy a Lexus but every time I see one on the road with the big "L" on the front of it I see this

http://luminaconsultinggroup.com/wp-...1/03/Loser.jpg

Just cant buy one

Carrion is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2015, 07:01 PM   #42
Eric A
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Can confirm build quality is second to none. 230,000kms on this girl and it drives better than most newer cars i've been in. And they are stupid low prices. Picked this one up for 8500 but a few are going for 7 and less now.
Eric A is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post: