Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 23-09-2015, 09:23 PM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Post Toyota Landcruiser 70 Series 2016 Update

"The Toyota LandCruiser 70 Series is set to benefit from a significant safety upgrade in the second half of next year.
Toyota Australia says the upgrades are intended to help the top-selling 70 Series single-cab ute increase its ANCAP safety rating from three stars to the maximum five.
In addition to their currently standard driver and passenger front airbags, 70 Series single-cab variants will gain front side, curtain and driver’s knee airbags, taking the count to seven.
All 70 Series body styles – single- and dual-cab, wagon and troop carrier – will also be equipped with electronic stability control, brake assist and cruise control.
Toyota Australia executive director sales and marketing Tony Cramb said the safety upgrades due next year would secure the future of the LandCruiser 70 Series for local customers.
“These updates will support continued strong buyer demand for an unapologetically rugged vehicle that is renowned for its heavy-duty capabilities,” Cramb said.
“We have worked closely with employers in mining, agriculture, construction, communications support and recreation to develop these improvements.
“Toyota’s commitment to them – as well as to the towns, rural communities and work sites where the LandCruiser’s reputation was born – will further cement the unique bond with customers forged over the past 30 years.”
The Toyota LandCruiser 70 Series range is priced from $56,990 to $65,990 plus on-road costs."

Read more at http://www.caradvice.com.au/384934/t...y3MlKel5TuG.99

Last edited by csv8; 03-10-2015 at 01:15 PM.
csv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2015, 09:43 PM   #2
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Default Re: Toyota Landcruiser 70 Series 2016 Update

Interesting, how are they going to do all that (curtain airbags for example) with the existing body structure?

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2015, 10:11 PM   #3
deadfish2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Interesting, considering originally Toyota word was they were not going to invest in it
deadfish2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 23-09-2015, 10:34 PM   #4
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just goes to show the mammoth levels of profit these things rake in when they can engineer 7 airbags into a 30 year old cab chassis body.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2015, 10:41 PM   #5
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

These things are all the rage out here, I'm not a fan.

Its too damn basic.

But they keep wanting accessories installed so ill keep taking their money.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 24-09-2015, 10:22 AM   #6
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

I hired one of these to tow my car to Wakefield and back... needless to say that I'll never be doing that again. The thing was terrible to drive, the steering was vague and all over the place. The one redeeming factor was the V8 pulled effortlessly. The car itself was shocking! I'd hate to own one of these no matter how well priced.
kypez is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2015, 11:17 AM   #7
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

I hope they rectify the 100mm difference between the front and rear track while they are at it. This surely has to be a bigger update than simply jamming airbags into a 30 year old cab, the structure simply wasn't designed to accommodate them and 5 star safety is from a strong body structure as much as it is passive safety aids.

Unless they dish up some sort of franken-cruiser, Euro 5 comes into play next year as well, so they must be planning a more significant change than just retrofitting airbags to an old design..?

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Old 24-09-2015, 11:24 AM   #8
mac_man_luke
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo View Post
These things are all the rage out here, I'm not a fan.

Its too damn basic.

But they keep wanting accessories installed so ill keep taking their money.
So damn basic but still has a CRD motor that will let you down with electrical gremlins.

IMO if you want a 70 series get one with a previous 6cyl direct injection motor with less electronics
Old 24-09-2015, 02:08 PM   #9
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadfish2 View Post
Interesting, considering originally Toyota word was they were not going to invest in it
Seems the loss of fleet sales with 5 star safety requirements was too big to ignore
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2015, 02:13 PM   #10
Buttnekid
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

they needed to do this because BHPB and RTIO have changed their requirements for minespec equipped vehicles - how much revenue do you think Toyota would lose if all the miners stopped using them for LVs
Buttnekid is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2015, 02:19 PM   #11
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

How much must they make out of every 70! The thing is a 30 year old design. Rnd must have paid off 25 years ago. In saying that if the gxl was 50k I'd get one tomorrow. I have a mate looking at a gxl dual cab and once all is done it will be about 85k
Giant Cranium is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 24-09-2015, 02:19 PM   #12
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

This mob reckon the body structure will receive changes

Quote:
Motoring.com.au understands structural changes will also be made in order for the 70 Series single-cab to achieve the top ANCAP rating now required by many large fleet customers.
But then say it only applies to single cab utes?

Old 24-09-2015, 06:48 PM   #13
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant Cranium View Post
How much must they make out of every 70! The thing is a 30 year old design. Rnd must have paid off 25 years ago. In saying that if the gxl was 50k I'd get one tomorrow. I have a mate looking at a gxl dual cab and once all is done it will be about 85k
How the locals have got it wrong. In our high cost economy perhaps this was the way to go, keep pumping out XF Utes, BF3 Wagons to fuel the tradies and taxi industry and Telstra indefinitely. Joining the world rat race of latest and greatest ultimately killed the industry. Like Toyota have done, why innovate???
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2015, 10:21 PM   #14
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i think part of it is having a good base product to start with, toyota makes most of its stuff fairly bullet proof from the very beginning, for a lot of people,
being very reliable and long lasting takes precedence over having more gear that adds price to the unit, and that is probably how they have managed to change the vehicle so little and have steady sales.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post