Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 03-10-2015, 09:34 PM   #31
gozzaxr6t

Default Re: How much are number plates worth ?

Bet if she paid for it she wouldn't drive it like its stolen lol.
Better yet, get her some stupid number plates that know body gets, apart from yourselves, which will encourage her even more to think shes cool, driving like a fool.
gozzaxr6t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2015, 10:04 PM   #32
barrys123
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think most number plates only the owners would know what they mean. I have a BF RTV my number plates are RTV000 and while I think it's bloody obvious I keep getting asked what does it stand for
barrys123 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2015, 10:11 PM   #33
SSD-85
Donating Member
Donating Member1

I personally have a pet hate for anyone who attempts to sell plates for more than what they paid for them.

Just greed, pure & simple.
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 03-10-2015, 10:20 PM   #34
barrys123
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSD-85 View Post
I personally have a pet hate for anyone who attempts to sell plates for more than what they paid for them.

Just greed, pure & simple.
If their silly enough bad luck, anything is only worth what someone else is prepared to pay. Same with your car, if you bought it of a dealer you paid more then he did for it.
Old 03-10-2015, 10:24 PM   #35
SSD-85
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrys123 View Post
If their silly enough bad luck, anything is only worth what someone else is prepared to pay. Same with your car, if you bought it of a dealer you paid more then he did for it.

Of course, but it makes it no less a ba$tard act.
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2015, 10:34 PM   #36
barrys123
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yeah wasn't being fascicious, I know my number plates will stay on the veh when I sell it as they apply to the veh, not me. But some of the ones you see are just ridiculous.
Old 03-10-2015, 11:30 PM   #37
sleepisforthedead

Quote:

So everybody.. should do every thing.. for nothing?
XD - XE Ghia front, Arrow block - 427ci, Howards billet rods, CHI 225's, Active high rise, Transbraked C4 - full manual reverse pattern valvebody, 9" Strange alloy centre 4.11's & spool, 17x4.5 Drag Stars & 15x10 Weld ProStars, Wilwood Dynalite 4-piston calipers F&R, Calvert Racing split mono-leaf springs Caltracs and adjustable shocks, 90/10's and custom springs up front.. all just an expensive pile of parts in a shed.
sleepisforthedead is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 04-10-2015, 04:23 PM   #38
Carrion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz View Post
The other issue is that most of the "good" ones are taken.
If you got in early and have "GTHO 351" that's probably worth a bit.
"H15 GTSO" probably not much.
Quoted for truth.

The thing is "you" never own the plates, they belong to what ever gov organization that lets you register you vehicle in your state.

As a buyer you know that the above mentioned plate will never go in to circulation again and is worth big dollars.

Plates with "text speak" or other abbreviation's are less likely to attract any dollars as the owner will hang on to them as long as he can afford to keep them on hold at the registry.

The cost of hanging on to them will eventually outweigh to minimal sale value and they will go back into circulation and the next person with to much money to spend will get them.

Kind of wish I never ordered mine.

Last edited by Carrion; 04-10-2015 at 04:26 PM. Reason: spelling
Carrion is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2015, 04:45 PM   #39
XG_Falcon

I would never want personal plates, I don't know anyone that would. More people like going incognito these days than in the 90's when personal plates were "cool".

They're worth nothing to somebody like me (in fact they would be a burden) but they might be worth something to the person that chose them.
XG_Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 04-10-2015, 05:09 PM   #40
Revolver
Big Member
Donating Member1

Not much I believe.

People think that they can make money on plates. Even new combos that match certain cars, for instance the new FGX's.

What said people dont realise, is there are crafty ways to get around the taken combinations. So you may buy (or rent if your in another state) FGX-335, but someone may come up with 335-FGX.

Up here in QLD, 335 FGX was once a standard run of the mill plate. But may have been handed back in, and offered by PPQ for re-sale.

Thats how I got mine. 7 years ago, I was at work one day thinking of the car I wanted to build, came up with the combination, hoping it would be free, so decided to check when I got home.

Walked outside after my shift, pulled my car to the LPG bowser, started filling. I see one of my regulars roll in his wife's Camry. I glanced down at the plate. I was the exact combination that I wanted. No joke.

Unfortunately I only saw him once more and served him while I was flat out, so couldnt propose a deal for him, to make them personalised, cover those costs, buy him a new plate, and some $$ top.

I tried every other combo with the same number and lettering or variations of, everything was taken. And those varied combos didnt explain what that actual combo did. But continued to check every month on the PPQ website.

Earlier this year, I had resigned myself I would never get that combo. I assumed it was handed in, and someone else got it in between my checks. Then a girl at worked showed me the QLD rego checker app. I punched in the combo to see what car it was on.

"Registration not found"

Onto PPQ.

"Combo not available"

Which meant one of two things.

1. It was handed in and bought by someone who had put it in the cupboard,

or

2. Hand been handed in and was in limbo (an amount of alloted time to clear any outstanding tolls or fines attached to that plate so then new owner of that combo doesnt cop them).

At 9:01 the next morning, I rang PPQ and asked if they were handed in and not taken, and the lady said they were, and checked any fines or tolls, it came up clear. She said they werent available to purchase, but she could put through a request to QLD transport to get them released early. Which she did.

Two days later I got a phonecall from her telling me they had been released. Couldnt hand over my credit card details fast enough! And it now sits in my cupboard and will go on the car when I buy it.

The moral of the story?

Unless you have someone after that EXACT combination your not going to get alot (if the original purchase price) back. People resign themselves to that combo being taken and settle for something else.

I would have, but was lucky that I KNEW it would be handed in at some point (you know being a Camry and all.) because it was a standard issue plate and I saw it on a car as that, so I knew it wasnt taken as a personalised unit..

If anyone was really after your plate, they probably went for NELOT5. Some people dont mind the number.

Sorry bucko. Good luck with it.
/////Alpine Sound.
EBGT Momo Woodgrain Steering Wheel
The Scarlet Fairlane Build Thread

Project "White Knight"
93 ED XR6
ROH Alloys
Momo wheel
Cruise
Sunroof
Premo Sound
Manual
HO Goodies
PWK Build Thread

1990 Yamaha FZR 250: 59000ks & climbing. New fairing, old tank, my angry mosquito in a coffee tin! 14.977 1/4mile.

Last edited by Revolver; 04-10-2015 at 05:18 PM.
Revolver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2015, 05:47 PM   #41
Trump
bitch lasagne

As a general rule, personalised plates aren't worth more than what they cost to get from the various road authorities (except NSW, their plates are worthless; they can get stuffed with their yearly rental).

However, if as the others have said you happen to find someone that REALLY wants your combo, you might get twice what you paid for them. As an example, I had a set of plates I paid $395 for but ended up selling for $1000 a week later to a rather dense individual who just had to have them
Trump is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 04-10-2015, 06:42 PM   #42
Mowdit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

All good comments, thanks

Did make money on the last set I bought, sold them to my company

Will keep them all, for now

Never know when I might buy a vehicle they will suit again
2 users like this post:
Old 04-10-2015, 07:33 PM   #43
zombiehead19

I bought MIAMI 335 for my FGX. No interest in selling unless someone offered me the money. I know that not many people would know what they mean. I bought them for me. That's how personal plates are supposed tot be bought.
zombiehead19 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 05-10-2015, 10:19 PM   #44
Honest Gaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by FGX335 View Post
I bought FGX335 because I knew that even if I didn't end up buying the XR, I could certainly sell them for more than I paid for them. But I did get the XR, and the plates look schmick as!
I've got FRD335 on my FPV GT....would have liked FPV335, but I guess someone else has that.
Old 05-10-2015, 10:59 PM   #45
jmack
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

ive got personalized plates on most of my cars and bikes,each to their own.there are some realy weird ones out there.i was lucky when i got my xw 20 years ago i was able to get windsa which is self explanetary to which motors in it
jmack is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2015, 11:43 PM   #46
kazawaki
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I had a set XRGRT8 Sold for $100.00 ,now hanging over some guys bar.Put them on my BA XR8 in 2004 ,clearly not worth anything.
Old 09-10-2015, 04:22 AM   #47
FGX-351
Supercharged Mang-mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTF6 View Post
And maybe they won't if your being ridiculous with the price.

Which by the way is?
I've already had multiple offers higher than what I originally paid.

If they sell they sell if they don't they don't.
If I do get an FGX I've got them, or even as aman cave display with all the signatures on them.

I'm banking on their value going up if the upcoming XR8 Sprint has the 351 tune.
09/00 VX HSV XU6 Build #0001 of 0171
http://fordforums.com.au/showthread....09#post5571209
-- Best E/T: |14.982 @92.12mph | R/T:0.013 | 60' 2.213| 330: 6.283 | 1/8: 9.624 @ 73.17mph | 1000: 12.529 | 25Deg, N/A Hum, 1010mb | Willowbank Raceway 7/12/16

Tickford EL Falcon XR6 RIP
-- Factory Manual
-- Best E/T: |14.991 @ 92.71mph | R/T: 0.607 | 60': 2.215 | 660': 9.665 |13Deg, 86%H, 1024mb, 184RA @ Willowbank Raceway
FGX-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2015, 09:20 AM   #48
creative
I am Batman

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr8territory View Post
I have 'XR8UTE', Black with Silver lettering,NSW plates. I think they are worth $100k but would consider offers around $50k, or maybe even $25k. Ok Ok, maybe $15k. For Gods sake, $5k buts that it!
you have them....

I wanted this combo a while back.

Personally I wouldnt have an issue paying a lump sum for a set of plates and them being mine.. I do however turn my nose up at renting them for $400 a year for the privilege!
Rebuilt Boss260 with #Kellogs 1500hp forged and balanced crank#Manley forged flattop pistons with a 9.5/1cr#4340 forged h-beam rods with arp bolts#Clevit performance rod and main bearings#full ARP headstud kit#total seal rings#Mantic twin plate development clutch and lightened flywheel#Mellings uprated oil pump#Mainforce Performance Supercharger kit#AU motorsport 345mm big brake kit.

Now producing 369.7rwkw/496rwhp@6000 and 515ft/lb torque @ 11 psi.
Now sat on an engine stand going nowhere
creative is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2015, 09:55 AM   #49
99AUXR
Brad

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Installing starter motor advice on ba / bf 6cyc Falcon. 

NZ is good we have to pay NZD$899 for plates if we want to buy them then there is no yearly fee. Makes them soooo good
Old 09-10-2015, 11:33 AM   #50
barrys123
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In WA we only pay the one of upfront fee depending on type between $120-$200 and that's it, no further payment.