Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 10-11-2015, 11:19 AM   #1
Matty4
Banana

Default First car....Mk V Golf?

I'm after some thoughts.
I've just stumbled upon an extremely tidy, very low K, 2005 VW Golf that will be traded in very shortly. I can get it for approx half what it would be going for on the private market at the moment. I'm looking at it for my daughter who will be 18 next year for her first car.
It is an auto (not DSG) and have done some reading up on those issues.
I haven't driven it, checked the service history (although the owner has it serviced by VW when it's due) and he's elderly, so I know it hasn't been abused. The back seats look like they've never been sat it....haha.

What should I be looking for?
The price is almost too good to pass up and we could sell it again if she doesn't want it.
Old 10-11-2015, 11:51 AM   #2
Qwerty321
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: First car....Mk V Golf?

Seriously though, I know a few people with VWs and they drive pretty nice. They're supposedly always breaking. I remember a mate of mine was talking about his VW and he said "the check engine light's always on and if it's not on, it's blown the bulb" He might have been exaggerating though, I think it's just some banter.

They're nice cars though, but if they do break, parts will be pretty costly considering there aren't many VW's on the roads around here. Personally, I'd say maybe look at a Jap alternative? If you're daughter isn't really big on the "driving experience" and just wants a reliable safe car to get her from A to B, a Swift might be your best port of call.

If you're getting a really good bargain though and it's really low KM like you say, and has no outstanding issues. Get it. But if any big issues pop up in the future, scrap it and move on.

"If in doubt, flat out" - Colin McRae
"Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall. Torque is how far you take the wall with you"
"Cheap, fast and reliable. Pick Two"

Qwerty321 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2015, 12:26 PM   #3
99AUXR
Brad

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Installing starter motor advice on ba / bf 6cyc Falcon. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty4 View Post
I'm after some thoughts.
I've just stumbled upon an extremely tidy, very low K, 2005 VW Golf that will be traded in very shortly. I can get it for approx half what it would be going for on the private market at the moment. I'm looking at it for my daughter who will be 18 next year for her first car.
It is an auto (not DSG) and have done some reading up on those issues.
I haven't driven it, checked the service history (although the owner has it serviced by VW when it's due) and he's elderly, so I know it hasn't been abused. The back seats look like they've never been sat it....haha.

What should I be looking for?
The price is almost too good to pass up and we could sell it again if she doesn't want it.
I say just go for it.
Old 10-11-2015, 12:45 PM   #4
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My mum bought one new in 2007 and is still going well today. Only problem I think she had was when the boot wouldn't latch.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 10-11-2015, 01:06 PM   #5
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You can't go wrong on a 5k mkv golf , hopefully it is not 1.6 though . Regardless of reputation that's a great first car for young person.
SumoDog68 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2015, 03:08 PM   #6
Matty4
Banana

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumoDog68 View Post
You can't go wrong on a 5k mkv golf , hopefully it is not 1.6 though . Regardless of reputation that's a great first car for young person.
Nah....it's the 2.0 FSI
10 years old, 83000K's, 12 months reg, less than $5K.
Could flip it in 12 months and at a minimum get our money back.
Old 10-11-2015, 03:13 PM   #7
v8snerlo
v8snerlo

Go for it mate. I just traded in my Mk5 Turbo Petrol Jetta (which is essentially a golf with a boot) and it was a great car. Beautiful to drive, handle well, well put together/build quality. The build quality is better in the Mk5's than the Mk6's as well as they went a little cheaper to break into different markets. If you find a good mechanic (like I did) then the whole parts and servicing thing is no different to Ford or any of the others. In fact the Japanese cars can be a lot more. If you go down this route, and I suggest you do, sign up to vwwatercooled.com.au as you will get as good a advice there as you do here. Jump on it.

2008 VW Passat R36 Wagon - Black, Leather, DSG, 18" Omanyt, Sunroof, LED Mods = Best and quickest car I've owned

Previous Rides
2006 VW Jetta 2.0L FSI Turbo
2000 AUII XR8 (200kw) - Miss my old girl
1996 EF Falcon Gli - Rare manual
1988 Mazda 626 Hatch
1982 Mazda 626 Sedan
v8snerlo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2015, 04:02 PM   #8
XG_Falcon

It will be a great first car. Go for it.
XG_Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2015, 05:35 PM   #9
FG50T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Do it. My sister had two mk5's, they were great.
FG50T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2015, 10:51 PM   #10
Matty4
Banana

Well, took it for a test drive this arvo and had a good look around and over it.
It's as straight as a die, full VW service history from day one by both owners, drove brilliantly, it's as tight as a drum, not a squeak, rattle, hum at all. Trans shifted really well, pulled up straight and true, all electrics worked.

I guess the only downside is that it appears a little thirsty, average fuel was sitting at 10.2l/100 and it hadn't been reset for over 2000k's. That and the fact that it has to run premium unleaded (95 minimum) means it will cost a little bit more to run for her, but I can somehow see us funding this for a while anyway, so no real biggie there.

Just gotta wait for him to get another trade-in val on it at the Honda dealer tomorrow. He's updating to a new Jazz..