Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 18-12-2015, 09:00 AM   #1
Blue Shadow
R.I.P. Maggie

Default Synthetic or Mineral ?

Hi
A while ago im sure I saw a thread about Syn or Min oils. I am looking to see what you think is better. Im changing the Trans fluid in my AUII ute, it never carries heavy loads, I don't flog it and only drive on weekends. Ive asked the tech at work they are 50% each way. What would you use and why?
Blue Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2015, 11:33 AM   #2
4vxc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Synthetic or Mineral ?

I'd ask a auto trans shop
4vxc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 20-12-2015, 11:48 AM   #3
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

Hi Blue Shadow, if you service the trans regularly it probably wont matter if its synth or mineral, as long as the specified fluid is used you will be fine. Id be inclined to take 4vxc's advice though if you want to run the synth though. Good luck!

cheer's, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2016, 10:33 AM   #4
Engineer
Cookie Monster

Very True...frequent servicing, low heat and low loads makes the playing field more level for oils. Synthetics are simply better..they take more heat, more pressure, more load and last longer. The difference between synth and mineral gets wider as you increase any of the above parameters. And it is a pronounced difference...I have used Neo Synthetic oils for a while now and they will outlast other synthetics by 2-6 times. That is a big deal when you run trucks or cars that run all day all the time. I have also seen engines and gearboxes have their service life doubled by using Neo oils over their service life. So if you have a choice go with Synthetic.

If you want the ultimate Synthetic use Neo 75W90 HD for a road car if its a manual...or Neo ATF Hi-Vis if its an Auto. You will NOT find a better oil anywhere...its used in F1, NASCAR, Indy, Le Mans and Dakar rally motorsport events. It works...I have had very average experiences with oils from Royal Purple, Redline...plus more. I have access to a lab that analyses oil samples and some of the stuff that comes up under a microscope is hilarious (carbonised oil clusters, bearing metal (100 microns and larger), piston metal, ring metal, water, fuel its all in there.

It is also amazing to see metal particles reduced by 15X by switching to Neo oils. But most people aren't willing to go that hard because they cost a little bit more. Whatever you select just change it regularly...unless it's Neo...it has a lifetime warranty (for transmission fluids) in a road car...one fill
Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2016, 10:46 AM   #5
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

You'll actually find that when it comes to automatic transmission fluids many modern ones are vegetable oil (canola) rather than mineral oil based albeit the vegetable oil is highly refined and has many additives (you wouldn't want to cook your chips in it). While that won't necessarily be disclosed in the product data sheets or MSDS comments like biodegradable or "ingestion of large quantities may cause vomiting or diarrhea" is a good indicator (it's not toxic like mineral oil but it's a good cleansing agent).

Last edited by aussiblue; 08-01-2016 at 11:08 AM.
aussiblue is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2016, 07:01 PM   #6
Blue Shadow
R.I.P. Maggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maka View Post
Hi Blue Shadow, if you service the trans regularly it probably wont matter if its synth or mineral, as long as the specified fluid is used you will be fine. Id be inclined to take 4vxc's advice though if you want to run the synth though. Good luck!

cheer's, Maka
nks Mate, I service pretty regular approx every 10 to 12 thousend k, so I reckon you are right it dosent really matter, Ill probably use mineral (pentrie or nulon)
Old 08-01-2016, 07:12 PM   #7
Blue Shadow
R.I.P. Maggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engineer View Post
Very True...frequent servicing, low heat and low loads makes the playing field more level for oils. Synthetics are simply better..they take more heat, more pressure, more load and last longer. The difference between synth and mineral gets wider as you increase any of the above parameters. And it is a pronounced difference...I have used Neo Synthetic oils for a while now and they will outlast other synthetics by 2-6 times. That is a big deal when you run trucks or cars that run all day all the time. I have also seen engines and gearboxes have their service life doubled by using Neo oils over their service life. So if you have a choice go with Synthetic.

If you want the ultimate Synthetic use Neo 75W90 HD for a road car if its a manual...or Neo ATF Hi-Vis if its an Auto. You will NOT find a better oil anywhere...its used in F1, NASCAR, Indy, Le Mans and Dakar rally motorsport events. It works...I have had very average experiences with oils from Royal Purple, Redline...plus more. I have access to a lab that analyses oil samples and some of the stuff that comes up under a microscope is hilarious (carbonised oil clusters, bearing metal (100 microns and larger), piston metal, ring metal, water, fuel its all in there.

It is also amazing to see metal particles reduced by 15X by switching to Neo oils. But most people aren't willing to go that hard because they cost a little bit more. Whatever you select just change it regularly...unless it's Neo...it has a lifetime warranty (for transmission fluids) in a road car...one fill
That sounds great, can it be found in supercheap and the like, I have an AU2 xr6 ute auto it does work hard and I need to keep it in good order. What about the filter, even with neo synth should I still change filter every 10 thou k's ?