Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

View Poll Results: Would you buy a rear wheel drive Mitsubishi 380?
Yes, I would buy one 40 32.79%
No, I dislike the vehicle style and/or Mitsubishi 31 25.41%
No, I am a FORD man/woman 31 25.41%
No, I prefer front wheel drive 0 0%
No, although I like the idea, my needs are different (ute etc) 20 16.39%
Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Old 23-02-2006, 11:56 AM   #31
XR Davo

I'd guess it's only a matter of time before we see AWD 380. And that will really put the cat amongst the pigeons. Personally I like the 380 styling.
XR Davo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2006, 11:56 AM   #32
MeestaNob!
XR5T - Sea Grey.

No.

The 380 is not in any way a desirable car until the GT model. $43,000 (plus on roads) is a lot of money...
MeestaNob! is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2006, 12:03 PM   #33
Fairlane
V8 Powaah

Yes, id look at one for sure and it would make it onto my short list. (RWD couldnt happen if they wanted it to though, you seen the engine bay of a 380, no space for N/S orientated engine)

I also think that Mitsubishi isn't going to try AWD any time soon, they tried it before and it failed. It had good mechanicals and a solid advertising campaign behind it, but no one bought any.

XF S pack Sedan- AU 302 Windsor, T5, 2.77 LSD, Many Mods
Fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2006, 12:05 PM   #34
Paxton
Cobblers!

I can see an AWD 380, however money would be the biggest drawback. If MMAL can get an AWD out before the end of the year (here's hoping), MMAL will have MUCH more interest in the car than they do now. I would love to have an AWD 6 Cylinder at a Falcon price. If only MMAL can pull this off.
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2006, 01:05 PM   #35
Cav
HUGH JARSE
Donating Member2

I think teh 380 is a nice car.

I have had a couple of Magnas as work cars and they were quite good - they cruised well and were quiet and comfortable. They are also cheap to own (if you exclude the depreciation)

I haven't driven the 380 yet. I've had a good look at the VRX and I thought it was a good car.

On the road they look OK except the rear needs a change to make the rear wheel arch a bit tougher looking.

New cars? I bought a BA new in 2002, it will be my last new car due to the depreciation. They are selling for $15,000 now - my BA was $38,000 in 2002.

I would consider a 380 as a second hand car down the road though. It would be cheap, reliable family car.
Cav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2006, 02:32 PM   #36
chief
FTF Club Moderator

I dont think the styling is quite right. Even if it came out as a RWD still wouldn't buy one. Plus I am a big man and need the room so thats why I have a Ford.

Falcon Tickford FPV (FTF) Car Club of NSW

Fords in the Park 2010

I use and recommend Stingray Car Security.
http://www.stingraycar.com.au/
chief is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2006, 05:27 PM   #37
Martyvan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by chief
I dont think the styling is quite right. Even if it came out as a RWD still wouldn't buy one. Plus I am a big man and need the room so thats why I have a Ford.
Im pretty big as well, and i found the old shape T.O.T Wagons at work had plenty of space up front...

New one "Apparantly" has more room. Havnt looked, and probably wont til the motor show.
Martyvan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2006, 06:42 PM   #38
RavenLS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Monty
If I could afford it, Id test it, and I would take a step from there. In general, it would be more desirable to me as a rear wheel drive.
same here.
Old 24-02-2006, 03:31 PM   #39
markb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_au
Very valid point if your going for the "win on sunday, sell on monday" approach, but on the other hand, Mazda and Toyota don't have a hero car, nor a rwd car (bar lexus etc) and they sell well.
They are seen to have excellent quality and reliability and that is one thing that Mitsubishi really buggered up on.

Any remember the 1980-1990 Magnas and before then the Sigma, they were such ИИИИeboxes anyone that ever owned one would NEVER purchase a mitsubishi anything..ever!

Toyota and Mazda I don't think have ever had such a model and really Mitsubishi Oz is still bearing the brunt for the crap Magnas they made for 10 or so years.
markb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2006, 03:54 PM   #40
luke

Haha... Front wheel drive loses. :

luke is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2006, 04:39 PM   #41
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

They still can't get it right after so many attempts, in saying that the last model VRX I came so close to buying,19's lowered and black ! Looked awesum got to say, the salesman and I couldn't come to a happy medium as I argued I could get into my current AUXR8 for less. Drove past and honked the horn to him the following weekend in the XR.

I have looked at the 380 VRX/GT, I like the look except the front could be better and the steering wheel suxs.
Dumped with 19's will look great, could I buy one ? Yer maybe if the price is right !
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2006, 05:10 PM   #42
sphell
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sometimes you just feel like slapping these car designers in the face and telling them to wake up! I mean really, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that if you want to compete with Falcon and Commodore, you need to have a RWD car. Big six buyers want kilowatts and RWD FFS!!!!!!!!!! If the 380 was RWD, they'd sell a hell of a lot more. As it is it's very good value but I could never see myself getting over the fact that it's FWD.

However saying that and putting value and FWD aside, I still probably wouldn't buy one because the rear styling looks a bit gumby and the lettering on the instruments is made for retards. Could they get it any bigger!!

The Toyota Avion or whatever it's called will fizzle out too because it's FWD. I think that actually looks really aggressive and has great power output and I got excited when I saw the liftout in the car's guide. However after going to the motor show and checking for a diff and seeing nothing......well it lost my vote. Tisk tisk...when will they learn?
sphell is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2006, 05:23 PM   #43
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

Despite the cliche, i dont think RWD "makes" a car. Having said this, mitsubishi seem to be somewhat confused as to who this product is being offered to. Days of old, one could forgive the magna as "not being sold to that type" (i.e. our type lol) but the new styling suggests they are looking to make the car more attractive to "that type"... so why FWD??

Toyota seem to do just fine without RWD. They know their market and they stick to it... and do very very very well.

I have to question mitsubishi's decision to jump halfway between the boring market and the "that type" market when the company's future is being wagered...

And is the new look Toyota (the aurion?) going to find a similar fate???
Old 25-02-2006, 12:35 AM   #44
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.9 EF Futura
And is the new look Toyota (the aurion?) going to find a similar fate???
Hell no. We're enthusiasts so we don't count in statistics to start with.

Second of all, whatever toyota touches (usually) turns to gold, Avalon Mk1 was a bit of a mess because they were using a design from 1993 America. Had that car been against the EF an VR, it probably would have sold pretty well.

I think the sportier styling will sell a car, look at all the sales of sportivo 2.4L Camrys - it may be a marketing gimmic, but as we all know in the modern age, the looks of a car take precidence over performance and safety
Dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post