Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 03-03-2016, 05:12 PM   #1
V8kado
Mondeo Titanium Estate

Default Buying a car from Vic and registering in NSW

Possibly looking at purchasing a car from Vic with 3 months rego left and bring it back home to NSW.

What's the go with transferring rego to NSW, need a Blue slip, Green slip, New plates, Rego?

How long do I have to transfer.
I've heard it should be done within 14 days but thought that was only from NSW-NSW or Vic-Vic.
Also read somewhere I have a full 3 months before I need to transfer it, which is ironically the amount of rego remaining? Is this correct?
Seller will obviously write down a date of sale on the Vic transfer papers and ODO.

I have already organised Comprehensive Insurance for the date I'm going down for a look (no longer do cover notes I just found out).
Done a PPSR Cert (Revs check).

And if I do need to transfer straight away who gets the reimbursement of remaining rego fees, seller or purchaser?

Any one else gone through this recently?

Cheers
Old 03-03-2016, 09:40 PM   #2
Jess1992

Default Re: Buying a car from Vic and registering in NSW

You need a blue slip, a years rego and new plates.. Make sure the car doesn't have mods or it makes it hard to get blue slipped (I learned this the hard way)
Jess1992 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2016, 10:09 PM   #3
b2tf
not here much anymore

You will need to transfer as soon as you get it home, the seller has to inform Vicroads of the sale of the car before you can register it. Any money refundable goes to the seller not you.

You will need a blue slip, after that you will need insurance and you will need to pay for a year's rego. Can't do 6 months rego straight after a blue slip, has to be 12.
Old 03-03-2016, 10:45 PM   #4
foxtrot3
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical articles. 

Hi. To buy it with rego so that you can drive it home the seller will need to get a vic roadworthy cert. When you buy car you both fill out the transfer papers and seller sends them off with transfer fees. When you get home you can arrange new rego in your state and cancel the vic rego and apply for refund. The other way is to buy without roadworthy and rego (seller keeps plates to take back to vicroads and to cancel rego/get refund) and you buy a 1 day permit to drive unregistered car. This gives you a day to get home/out of vic and get permit in your state. Cheers MD

HI

I'M MICHAEL

2003 ACID RUSH BA FUTURA WAGON

light up window switches | auto on cruise control | doubleclick window lift from remote
foxtrot3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2016, 11:47 AM   #5
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxtrot3 View Post
Hi. To buy it with rego so that you can drive it home the seller will need to get a vic roadworthy cert. When you buy car you both fill out the transfer papers and seller sends them off with transfer fees. When you get home you can arrange new rego in your state and cancel the vic rego and apply for refund. The other way is to buy without roadworthy and rego (seller keeps plates to take back to vicroads and to cancel rego/get refund) and you buy a 1 day permit to drive unregistered car. This gives you a day to get home/out of vic and get permit in your state. Cheers MD
Michael, agree with everything except the bold. Responsibility for submitting paperwork and paying transfer fee lies with the buyer, not seller, ie

Quote:
Step 2: Give completed paperwork to the buyer
Fill in the ‘seller’ section of the application for transfer of registration form [PDF 368 Kb].

Note: You are required to inform the buyer in writing whether the vehicle is entered on any Written-off Vehicle Register, either in Victoria or interstate. This can be done by ticking ‘Yes’ or ‘No’ in the appropriate section of the transfer form.

Give the buyer a receipt as proof of purchase and ownership of the vehicle. The receipt should be dated and included:

your name, address and signature
the buyers name and address, and
vehicle’s details such as Vehicle Identification Number (VIN), engine number, make and model.
The buyer is responsible for submitting the application for transfer of registration form and Certificate of Roadworthiness to VicRoads.
as per https://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/regi...stered-vehicle

Craig

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2016, 06:53 PM   #6
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

When you pick up the car, complete the transfer paperwork, you will get a copy and so will the seller.

You or the seller will then need to take the transfer papers to Vicroads and hand them in. It is important for that the transfer papers get handed in, so you can get the left over rego refunded.

If the paperwork does not get handed in to Vicroads you will be unable to get a refund.

Once the transfer paperwork have been handed into Vicroads you will have 14 days to provide a RWC or the rego will be suspended, but being from NSW you will need to register the car with the RMS and wont be able to continue with the Vic Rego.

No roadworthy is needed as Vicroads will give 14 days for a RWC to be provided before suspending the rego.

The other option is to buy the car unregistered and then get an unregistered permit from Vicroads. Can be purchased online. This will cover your trip home.

https://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/regi...ehicle-permits

Then all you need to do is arrange for the car to be registered with RMS.

http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/roads/regi...-registration/

Last edited by xisled; 04-03-2016 at 07:03 PM.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2016, 07:55 PM   #7
foxtrot3
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical articles. 

Hi. The last few cars that I have purchased have been from dealers and it is their responsibility to collect transfer fees and send it all off to vicroads. If I was selling a car I would take responsibility for doing this or at least notifying vicroads rather than have someone say that they will and then drive up and down eastlink or whatever or drive through red light/speed cameras in StKilda on my plates. Cheers MD

HI

I'M MICHAEL

2003 ACID RUSH BA FUTURA WAGON

light up window switches | auto on cruise control | doubleclick window lift from remote
foxtrot3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2016, 08:29 PM   #8
FPV+fteT3
Performance Inc.

When I bought the TE50 from Vic the process was simple.

1 Vic owner takes the plates off and hands them in to Vic roads and gets refund. No transfer fees at all paid at this stage.
2 New owner gets unregistered vehicle permit from Vic Roads can be done on internet and phone calls vin and current vic rego number req'd.
3 drive back to NSW and when your ready anytime after you can legally drive to station for blue slip test just book the test prior to leaving home incase mr plod pulls you up.
4 As far as the cover note thing goes take out insurance but don't pay straight away ask to be sent the certificate and PDS in the post and you will pay later after reading the PDS. If you buy the car pay the premium if not don't waste your money.

Simple process really others will have a different view but I can only recall what I actually did.

FPV Super Pursuit Build no 0080/91
Lotus Exige S/C S240

Kart Hasse Chassis 100J Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Rental cars, the equipment of choice to get to destinations where 4WDs fear to drive......
FPV+fteT3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 05-03-2016, 07:52 AM   #9
EB#
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Constant helpful advice and step by step guides in easy to understand format with pictures. 

Agree with the above comments by FPV+fte as the easiest method.
Tip: Negotiate a price without VIC rego and the plates/rego refund/notice of disposal can all stay with the seller.
EB# is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 05-03-2016, 08:18 AM   #10
xxx000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I agree with the above 2 posts re process

don't think you'll be able to transfer Vic rego into your name as you live in NSW anyway

UVP is the best option for both parties imho, the seller gets the plates so it's a clean break plus you can negotiate them a little lower as they may get a small amount of $ back
xxx000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2016, 09:12 PM   #11
trev57

Similar story...
I'm from Perth and was in Adelaide a couple of weeks ago,short story 4x4 i had that did the trip well,but brokedown in Adel. and become too expensive to repair
Bought a 07 awd ghia,with 160k,full service history....mickey mouse for age.had to get on road back to wa next day,excellent drive back to perth,no probs
Then the s... hit the fan when tried to transfer rego from sa to wa
you CANNOT transfer a vehicle without going over the pits and having a full inspection without owning it and being registered in your own name for 12 mths or more.In fact as soon as i crossed the border,i was driving an unregistered car!!!!!!
So today had to get a special movement permit to take for inspection tomorrow......gets inspected get a transfer if all Ok.....have heard some horror stories that they want everything like new....
So crossing fingers,toes,and anything else,stations of the cross and hoping,nothing comes up thats too expensive to fix.
So if any one thinking about buying any car from a defferent state to where you live.....you have been warned
just to show how stupid this is......if i had owned a registered $500 bomb for 12 mths in SA,i could have walked into WA rego place with plates paid a transfer fee and got wa plates
My understanding this the above situation is applicable for ALL states
trev57 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post