Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 22-02-2006, 05:33 PM   #31
LUXO_8
windsor user

they're mad cars, had a sit in one at the motorshow and loved it.....
i'd love to own one:P
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2006, 05:34 PM   #32
Psycho Chicken
Banned

Ford and Holden have nothing on the 300C.

Body roll, poor aerodynamics, couch on wheels? These are all properties of a big cruiser!

Ford need to pull their finger out. Make the LWB look different to the SWB (when was the last time that happened? NC? They tried with the AU, pity it was butt ugly), give the LTD more gucci features. Not just some half arsed attempt.

Sadly in this day and age of uniform platforms and parts sharing it ain't gonna happen.
Psycho Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2006, 05:34 PM   #33
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Didnt the Fairmont Ghia Rate better in the Wheels comparison to it?

Personally I dont like them only because of the previous history Cryslers have had in Australia in the last 10 years and the terrible resale they have along with Jeeps. Theres obviously going to be a market for these cars due to the amount of people in this market with 60 k to spend (older business type people).

Id prefer a V8 Fairmont Ghia only because i prefer the more conservative looks and the quality of the Crysler worries me down the track, plus im a Ford man!
2024.50 Mustang Darkhorse 6M Blue Ember + Appearance pack ETA Jan 25.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2006, 05:38 PM   #34
Polyal
The 'Stihl' Man
Donating Member2

Someone buys a 300C for two reasons:

- Looks
- V8 rumble

the fairmont Ghia is a hell of car, but not in teh same league..the fairlane is hopeless. This segment doesn't give two sh|ts about handling...its about the badge, the look, and the sound.

Its stll got me buggered why the holdens have such a harsh ride.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2006, 05:42 PM   #35
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRated
Ditto. Who gives a rat's ars3 about handling? You hardly go out to buy a LTD or Caprice for handling. A mere comfortable cruiser that looks cool - with 22s they look superb!! They need the mesh type grille though to pull it off.
Agreed totally about the handling, its a cruiser not a go-kart.

A couch on wheels that goes hard in a straight line - surely thats a compliment for this sort of car, because thats exactly what that market wants.
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2006, 05:47 PM   #36
MrSparkle
An Old Boss™©
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin
Agreed totally about the handling, its a cruiser not a go-kart.

A couch on wheels that goes hard in a straight line - surely thats a compliment for this sort of car, because thats exactly what that market wants.
... and presence. The Fairlane is a pretty competent car as a package but sadly it has the on-road presence of a Camira. The G220 in black looks good but still falls short when put next to a black 300C.

There's really no argument in favour of the locals anyway, as the segment has spoken with sales numbers! :dj:
Old 22-02-2006, 05:52 PM   #37
AuFairlaneV8

Im hoping there resale is as bad as a fairlanes, 25k for a 3 year old 300c would be nice!
AuFairlaneV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2006, 06:03 PM   #38
ltd
Force Fed Fords

In the limo industry the major stumbling block to these cars is that they are not as generous in the legroom as ford or Holden. But that is the only negative of this car for that purpose. I agree they are pure Horn and as I drive past the dealership everyday, I find myself more and more looking at them.

As for Ford, I love em to bits but geez, the LTD and Fairlanes aren't that special, when you think that you get to pay an extra 10-20 thousand more than a Fairmont Ghia. All the plastic in the BA and BA2 is really uninspiring, especially when compared to the AU2 LTD which had huge plush leather seats, gathered leather on the door trims, Leather centre console, woodgrain everything - dash, rear cupholders, light and window switches, chrome everywhere especially the bling wheels, and a pure Luxo feel to the car - whilst having a completely different look to the donor falcon.

Ford isn't in the race as far as I am concerned as the LTD and Fairlane used to be closer to what the market wants, just like the 300C is now.

Someone mentioned on another thread that ford is speculating getting out of the LWB, has anyone got a source?
If they do hopefully we can get some of the towncars in CKD form and build them here as a replacement but with some of our own components; barra 230, zf 6 auto etc. Though some find them ugly they would have a huge market with limo companies, as the buggers are almost 5.6 metres long, and have air suspension, with a humungus boot for luggage.

Maybe Chrysler is setting a new trend with the 300C and all niche cars that once were locally made locally may end up with import replacements, like Holden and the Cadillac

Quote:
Powered by GE
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2006, 06:15 PM   #39
YELLAUTE
old fart

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuFairlaneV8
Im hoping there resale is as bad as a fairlanes, 25k for a 3 year old 300c would be nice!
I wish, Ford offered me $17,500.00 for my 56,k 02AU2 LTD (not a mark on it with new tyres a full Ford service book). In may 06 it will be 4 years old, thats $58,000 depreciation in four years and 56,k or $1220/month and $1.00/klm depreciation.

The rub is they said they would offer me as high as $18,000.00 if it was a six instead of an eight. The strange thing this was a trade price offered on a brand new V8 Fairlane or LTD worth nearly $80k on road. Why would anyone take that deal?

"Old fartism" like "young d!ckheadism" is an attitude and lifestyle choice......

PX Ranger XLT 3.2 6sp Auto Super Cab
2012 Focus Mk2 Sport Manual
YELLAUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2006, 06:23 PM   #40
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by YELLAUTE
I wish, Ford offered me $17,500.00 for my 56,k 02AU2 LTD (not a mark on it with new tyres a full Ford service book). In may 06 it will be 4 years old, thats $58,000 depreciation in four years and 56,k or $1220/month and $1.00/klm depreciation.

The rub is they said they would offer me as high as $18,000.00 if it was a six instead of an eight. The strange thing this was a trade price offered on a brand new V8 Fairlane or LTD worth nearly $80k on road. Why would anyone take that deal?
Ford depreciation has always been excessive, at an auction i was recently at an early 04 Fairmont Ghia with a 5.4 v8 and 32000klms sold for $21400.

I too have had people disinterested in my fords because they are 8's, less than 5 years ago people were disinterested if they were'nt 8's.
It's bloody crazy. The Luxo cars are always worth about 60% of their new price after just one year. I bought my AU2 at auction in 2002 when it was less than a year old and 30K for $38500. It was ex government so in a way, it was our taxes at work to cover the 33-35k loss. (yes I know government gets a discounted rate compared to private sales, but after all resale is both public and private sector)

Quote:
Powered by GE
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2006, 08:43 PM   #41
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Fortunately the hair is not yet grey enough to consider any of those three - BUT having experienced the SRT version I could certainly go one of those.

With 317 kW and 560 Nm from the 6.1 Hemi (370 CID) and a 3.08 rear end coupled to the 5 speed auto in an 1835 kg vehicle performance should be brisk. US tests have seen 5 sec even to 60 mph (96.5 km/h) and the 1/4 mile in 13.4.

The 20" wheels don't hurt the look either (apart from the no doubt horribly expensive 255/45ZR20 tyres). Presumably here they'll pick up the Premium audio set up and DVD Sat Nav too. The leather and suede power seats are nicely shaped (comfy too) and with dual zone climate control, ABS, ABD, stability control, traction control, tyre pressure monitors, power adjustable (memory) pedals & steering wheel (height & reach in this one), HID headlamps, alarm and some big brakes (360mm front with 4 piston Brembos & 350mm rears) there won't be a lot missing against a GT-P.

It's a decent handler too being 1/2" lower and with firmer springs, shocks and bigger anti roll bars at both ends.

Pricing - and having the balls to do it, will be what determines the success of the SRT.

If it arrived soon enough it would probably get my vote.

Russ
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 300cSRT.jpg (19.0 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg 300cSRT2.jpg (27.2 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg 300cSRT3.jpg (27.5 KB, 75 views)

Observatio Facta Rotae

Last edited by russellw; 22-02-2006 at 09:05 PM.
russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2006, 09:10 PM   #42
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

It's worth adding too that the SRT-8 makes that power tuned to run on good old US "Regular gas" which is 91 Octane - it's likely that we'll see more like the extra 20 kW or so that the Europeans have been getting for their 95!

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2006, 11:21 PM   #43
UNR8D
FORMER T3 OWNER

they are just PURE HORN!

last good LWB ford did was the NL as it looked different enough from the SWB but had nice lines, the AU looked like a half baked attempt at looking american and the BA well... it may as well be a SWB.

The 300C gives people exactly what they want in that segment, a comfortable cruiser with all the LOOK at me while retaining a high ammout of class. and has a v8 that makes the right noises and will slingshot the limo into the skyline and hold its head up with the best.... lookes like a car worth twice the money.

you can sleep in your car, but you cant drift your house...
UNR8D is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2006, 02:33 AM   #44
JADED6
V8 Ghia & BF2 XR6 + Wagon

Odd to see so much support for a car that's competing with something ford sells. Shows we're not biased after all.
Youll always see support for the Porsche 911 or $200K plus vehicles from Mercedes or BMW on here but rarely have i seen this much support for a car priced with in reach of what some users currently drive.

Surprised it took over 40 posts for someone to post a pic
Old 23-02-2006, 02:47 AM   #45
YELLAUTE
old fart

I think it is sad Ford have lost interest in this segment, as someone said earlier they (Ford )started it all (That is their LWB prestige models with the early Fairlanes) Way back then the Ford dealers treated Fairlane owners like kings . My old man had a new one in the sixties and I can still remember the way the local ford dealer treated him when it went in to be serviced. I remember the old man saying " I paid twice what the next guy paid for his falcon so I expect twice the courtesy" and he got it. At the very least I remember when things went wrong they were fixed and I remember the dealer saying " these things should not happen and we will fix them straight away" I guess those memories were some of the reasons why I bought the LTD a few years ago, and how attitudes have changed.

"Old fartism" like "young d!ckheadism" is an attitude and lifestyle choice......

PX Ranger XLT 3.2 6sp Auto Super Cab
2012 Focus Mk2 Sport Manual
YELLAUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2006, 08:07 AM   #46
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by JADED6
Odd to see so much support for a car that's competing with something ford sells. Shows we're not biased after all.
Youll always see support for the Porsche 911 or $200K plus vehicles from Mercedes or BMW on here but rarely have i seen this much support for a car priced with in reach of what some users currently drive.

Surprised it took over 40 posts for someone to post a pic
Quick, someone get all the one eye or bias accusers, and point em to this thread. :
Yes, even I can appreciate cars that are not Ford, especially when they are so affordable compared to ford.

Quote: