Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 06-03-2006, 01:22 PM   #1
LTDHO
The one and only

Default Traffic light switches

I thought this was common knowledge, but from what I have been seeing recently, it is clearly not the case.

FACT: Did you know there are car sensors under the road at intersections controled by lights?

Twice last week I saw drivers getting mad because the didn't get a green arrow because they had passed the sensors and were creeping over the line.

This is why creeping (impatience) doesn't make lights change quicker!!!

I always stop on these for two very good reasons. 1. so lights change quicker and 2. to leave safe space infront of my car.(gives motorbikes space too)

Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 01:24 PM   #2
agony
BLOWN 383 CHEV OWNER

yes you would think so wouldnt you!

just the same as pressing the crossing button a hundred times doesnt mean anything.
agony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 01:46 PM   #3
GT-E

I had to get out of my car and tell a Tarago driver to move forward, as they were 20ft from the lines. This was after 5mins of waiting for them and to see if the 5 other cars in front of me did anything......
Old 06-03-2006, 02:05 PM   #4
XA Coupsta
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So do you need to keep the sensor active (by staying on it) or are they simply ones that you can pass over and then they are activated?

I knew they had road sensors but was unsure how they activate.
XA Coupsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 02:07 PM   #5
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

Yeah we're slowly moving away from under road sensors here and camera operated intersections are becoming more frequent.

For anyone in Adelaide, can do tours of the centre:

http://www.transport.sa.gov.au/trans...ontrol_cnt.asp

Wouldnt mind heading down there next time i get some annual leave... just to see the place... altho next holiday i take, cars will prob be extinct by then!

Lol - creep away all you like.. just be sure to stop on the sensor for a bit!

Oh.. some more cool stuff on the ACTS system in SA:

http://www.transport.sa.gov.au/trans...cts_system.asp

Last edited by 4.9 EF Futura; 06-03-2006 at 02:20 PM.
4.9 EF Futura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 02:08 PM   #6
fiery
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think they forgot to put the sensors into anywhere when they did some of these lights here at Morayfield........ you can sit and sit and sit no matter how perfect you are to the sodden line........
drives me nuts...
:
fiery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 02:09 PM   #7
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I believe some are magnetic in their activation? I only know this as riders of certain makes of bikes strap a small strip of metal to the bottom of their fairing.
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 02:15 PM   #8
4.9 EF Futura

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiery
I think they forgot to put the sensors into anywhere when they did some of these lights here at Morayfield........ you can sit and sit and sit no matter how perfect you are to the sodden line........
drives me nuts...
:
They should be easy to spot... can see the black 'seam' where the plate is... altho that's probably only for intersections which have been retrofitted... may be different story if they're built in from day 1.
Old 06-03-2006, 02:18 PM   #9
BlackLS

Minor intersections don't have the switches.
Old 06-03-2006, 02:21 PM   #10
AnthonyQLD
Boss power

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin
I believe some are magnetic in their activation? I only know this as riders of certain makes of bikes strap a small strip of metal to the bottom of their fairing.
Im pretty sure thats right, Sometimes when I ride my bike it will not activate the sensor
Old 06-03-2006, 03:04 PM   #11
McobraR
me may my mo

Interesting, i thought they were weight activated (somethin like a minimum of 200kg), but thats just me :
McobraR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 03:19 PM   #12
Dauphin
Irregular member

At the advanced driving course I did the guy told us that there are 20 feet of sensors at each red light to detect the presence of vehicles and that going back and forth over the line doesn't do anything.

I think sometimes they get confused or the programming gets confused for a moment as I was stuck in a huge line once when the fuel prices were about to jump about 20 cents a litre. A huge truck was at the light in front of us, sticking outover the line and I think it messed up the sensors as it was taking 4 times as long as usual. I got out of line, turned left and did a U-turn and went passed them all still waiting for the green light. I got to the BP just before the guy came out to change the price!

Other times it has skipped or missed a green turning light for some strange reason, so I don't know how the great mystery works exactly.

My hovercraft is full of eels!

Movie Car Chase of the Week: Gene Hackman driving a 1971 Pontiac LeMans to chase an elevated train in The French Connection (1971).
Dauphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 03:20 PM   #13
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.9 EF Futura
Yeah we're slowly moving away from under road sensors here and camera operated intersections are becoming more frequent.

For anyone in Adelaide, can do tours of the centre:

http://www.transport.sa.gov.au/trans...ontrol_cnt.asp

Wouldnt mind heading down there next time i get some annual leave... just to see the place... altho next holiday i take, cars will prob be extinct by then!

Lol - creep away all you like.. just be sure to stop on the sensor for a bit!

Oh.. some more cool stuff on the ACTS system in SA:

http://www.transport.sa.gov.au/trans...cts_system.asp
Ive worked in norwood traffic control before, the cameras are for traffic monitoring(By humans), but the piezoelectrics still do the main work in ACTS. The cameras are mostly for operators to note areas of congestion(Pinpointed by ACTS software usually), and change the traffic signal management software to alter the sequences and length of sequences as required to clear abnormal congestion(sometimes due to something like an accident, or a scheduled road event). This can be done on more then one intersection to clear a stretch of road. Can also be done for cops, ambulances and fire trucks to clear the road ahead of them in an emergency.

1965 XP Falcon Deluxe Sedan
1978 XC Falcon Wagon Rallypack
2003 BA Fairlane G220

Windsor Powah!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7hT9dxD2hM

Sourbastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 03:24 PM   #14
4.9 EF Futura

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbastard
Can also be done for cops, ambulances and fire trucks to clear the road ahead of them in an emergency.
Yeah ive seen that in practical use. Seems to work quite well.

Hey - the glen osmond/hutt rd intersection - that bugger is still not sensored is it??
Old 06-03-2006, 03:26 PM   #15
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

unsure, not a road I take very often if at all. There are still many intersections being run by hard wired timed sequences.

1965 XP Falcon Deluxe Sedan
1978 XC Falcon Wagon Rallypack
2003 BA Fairlane G220

Windsor Powah!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7hT9dxD2hM

Sourbastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 05:35 PM   #16
The Monty
Just slidin'

All you have to do is step on them while your walking past. It really annoys drivers when you do it when they are the only car on the road at night, and the lights go red on them for no-one.
Old 06-03-2006, 05:57 PM   #17
MAD
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Monty
All you have to do is step on them while your walking past. It really annoys drivers when you do it when they are the only car on the road at night, and the lights go red on them for no-one.
They work on inductive loops which require a decent amount of metal (why some motorbikes dont trigger the sequence) to pass over it to create a small electric pulse by disrupting the magnetic feild in the coil embedded in the road.
So either you were wearing HEAVY steel boots, or it was a sheer coincidence that the light sequence was tiggered.

Read more here... http://www.humantransport.org/bicycl.../detection.htm
Old 06-03-2006, 06:23 PM   #18
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

The sensor near my place was not calibrated to pick up motorcycles, i used to sit there for 3 changes of lights then go through the red arrow, i don't know if the sensors detect weight or mass.
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 06:29 PM   #19
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

many intersections even have sensors quite a few meters away back from the line to sense if there is multiple cars waiting, to change the lights quicker, you can cheat them by sitting further back if you are the only car, providing you are on the sensor - not sure what the exact requirements are thought, but we have done it...
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 09:00 PM   #20
coyote
Paint Repairs Spoilers

Default How about the four new ones on the D Bay overpass

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiery
drives me nuts...
:
Yet to get a clean run with an average of having to stop at at least three of them.\

For those luckey enpough not to have to use them these four sets of lights are in the space of 500 m Qld transport Home of the smart state numberplates.
Old 06-03-2006, 09:33 PM   #21
XD 351 Ute
Excessive Fuel Ingestion

We should be allowed to shoot the people that push the 'walk' buttons and then go across anyway without waiting for the lights................

Ed
XD 351 Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 10:50 PM   #22
AMT
Come fly with P.S.I...

I am sure they are weight activated because my brother and i did a early morning paper round when we where young and we used to lift the front wheel on our bikes and slam it down hard on the black thin lines and the traffic lights would change straight away... maybe there different now...?
Old 06-03-2006, 11:05 PM   #23
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhanst
I am sure they are weight activated because my brother and i did a early morning paper round when we where young and we used to lift the front wheel on our bikes and slam it down hard on the black thin lines and the traffic lights would change straight away... maybe there different now...?
Nope, they are a piece of wire layed into a cut in the road surface which is then filled with sealing compound. Induction on the loop is monitored & when something metal (ferrous) get's close, the value changes.

Next time you have a steel rubbish bin lid handy, put it on the road loop & keep yourself entertained for hours. Nothing at all to do with weight.

ps - your pushy would do it to
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 11:45 PM   #24
Hunter
Ex EL Falcon

Yeah there's a sensor near work which is very very intolerant. If you're even 30 cm away from it, it won't work. Heaps of traffic congestion is caused by it yet nobody ever fixes.

I dunno why but Brisbane's traffic lights don't seem to be coordinated AT ALL. Some days you get absolute ИИИИty runs because of the lights not being synchronised. Like you'll get a green on one intersection but the intersection 50 m up the road is still red so all the traffic is held up because the lights ahead won't change for another 20-30 seconds. Its bloody stupid. And yes, there are many stretches with a half dozen of lights spread over a few hundred meters up here. : :
Old 08-03-2006, 04:47 PM   #25
BlackLS

Shopping trolleys work really well...

Maccas drive thrus have them at the start of the lane, and causes the drive thru high pitch beeps to go off. Go there 20 mins after they open/close on a quiet morning/night and ИИИИ off the workers inside. (I used to work at maccas and did this during a night out when i wasnt working)
Old 08-03-2006, 05:39 PM   #26
AC/DC
" Let there be Rock "

I used to work for the council as an Electrician in Townsville, and we did many traffic "loops" as you call them. They simply cut a large rectangular shape in the road with a concrete saw, and then we used to push in about 6 turns of normal wire, , push it down hard with a bit of flat steel and then seal with liquid nails ( about 40 tubes per intersection )

The loop is then fed a small current , and it notices a change in the impedance when a steel object (car) is over it.

We used to check they were working with the steel bin from the truck, that had all the empty silastic tubes in it !

So..

1. The are definatley NOT operated by weight.
2. They need steel above them
3. Yep, they do stuff up, as the ground moves, or water or trucks stopping, they might open circuit, and then we used to come along and re cut them and do it over again.
4. In North Queensland in Summer it SUCKED doing traffic loops....

Thats the low down on traffic loops !

(p.s. A traffic light controller costs about $20 000 , , so if you lose it on an intersection, try not to hit the controller box )

AC/DC
AC/DC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 05:41 PM   #27
AC/DC
" Let there be Rock "

pps... every intersection in Townsville has loops cut !

AC/DC
AC/DC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 06:11 PM   #28
megsy
Undergraduate EB Operator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed
We should be allowed to shoot the people that push the 'walk' buttons and then go across anyway without waiting for the lights................
i was under the impression that during normal traffic hours whenever you pressed the walk button it didnt affect the traffic lights at all it just added a walk sign to the specific part of the program where the traffic was flowing the other way,

although this isnt the same for special pedestrian lights.
-----------------------
megsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 06:15 PM   #29
chief
FTF Club Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackLS
Shopping trolleys work really well...

Maccas drive thrus have them at the start of the lane, and causes the drive thru high pitch beeps to go off. Go there 20 mins after they open/close on a quiet morning/night and ИИИИ off the workers inside. (I used to work at maccas and did this during a night out when i wasnt working)

My brother worked at Hungry Jacks for a while and the drive through is meant to take less thean 2 minutes. That never happened so at the end of the night take a steel bucket and just wave it over the sensor to bring down the average time in drive through.

Falcon Tickford FPV (FTF) Car Club of NSW

Fords in the Park 2010

I use and recommend Stingray Car Security.
http://www.stingraycar.com.au/
chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 06:47 PM   #30
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XA Coupsta
So do you need to keep the sensor active (by staying on it) or are they simply ones that you can pass over and then they are activated?

I knew they had road sensors but was unsure how they activate.
The strips under the road are magnetic, and should keep working whether you drive forward over them or you stay on top of them, the metal of your car trips them.