Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 19-03-2006, 11:19 AM   #1
avro
Starter Motor

Default AU1 v AU2

I am a long term Ford fan but have not had one for a while. I am looking to buy an AU Fairlane series 1 or 2. What are the major differences between these. Is it worth searching out a series 2 or are the series 1 just as good (and usually lower priced)? I will consider either a 6 cyl or v8 as they seem pretty close in specs anyway.

Would appreciate any thoughts.

Regards avro

avro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2006, 11:47 AM   #2
Rob
Living the dream

Taken from http://www.geocities.com/falconfacts...rlaneltd.html:
"A Series II upgrade arrived in July 2000, bringing with it memory for the driver’s now 10-way power adjustable seat, and standard satellite navigation in the LTD"

I believe there are some minor styling tweaks too. Generally, the first run of any car is the least refined, successive updates ironing out most bugs. AU2 would be the best bet IMHO, but you'll probably pay more for it, albeit not a lot.

As for the I6/V8 question, its really a question of how you drive. A 6 is probably a better bet at the moment, given fuel prices, and the fact that the Fairlane is gonna weigh quite a bit which will affect economy. Plenty of mods for a bit more oopmh with the 6, too, almost makes the 8 a bit redundant considering its in 175kw tune, if you can let go of the awesome note :

Really depends on you though mate.
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2006, 12:02 PM   #3
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

I would go S2, as BLC said they would have ironed out alot of the bugs by then, as for the V8 V I6 debate, both will perform quite similar, but i would choose the V8, the Windsor sounds great and with a few little Mods you can get the V8 going pretty well.
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2006, 12:05 PM   #4
Windsor220
Now Fordless

While I dont know the fairlane specifics, the AU2 falcon in general got heaps better brakes(AU1 still had brakes similar to EL), an insulated firewall for better noise reduction and better looking interiors. The exterior was changed mildly to.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2006, 12:09 PM   #5
Rob
Living the dream

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV8U
I would go S2, as BLC said they would have ironed out alot of the bugs by then, as for the V8 V I6 debate, both will perform quite similar, but i would choose the V8, the Windsor sounds great and with a few little Mods you can get the V8 going pretty well.

True, you could get a real beast of an 8 if you were so inclined. 14 second 1/4's from an AU 'Lane.. cool :sm_headba
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2006, 01:48 PM   #6
Smoked
Burnin Rubber

I6 is cheaper to mod than a 8 for the amount of omph that you get out of it. Big big bucks to get the windsor to really move.
***Coming Soon: Clear Side Repeaters***
Quote:
Originally Posted by The-ShowStoPPa
...dont get me wrong this 3.8v6 is pretty special, it does come with the popular shake rattle and roll option and the auto compliments this with the ever popular snap crackle and pop feature
Smoked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2006, 01:58 PM   #7
loxxr6
XB in parts...

While there's nothing wrong with a series 1 car, the series 2 would be better due to the fact of the brake upgrade alone.

If the car is well looked after then you should be happy either way.

Daily Driver 2019 Ford Escape...looking for XR6T's.

loxxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2006, 09:12 PM   #8
AU-MUSTD
Flat floor shifter

Mines a series one lane and i've never been left wanting more brakes and considering l tow a tandem daily l just dont get why everyone bags there brakes?? Definatly get the 6 unless it's the note your after cause the power dif in the two is unoticable one you get extracters and exhaust on the 6 plus fuel economy is heaps better. The only thing l found worth upgrading between 1 and 2 was the climate screen as the orange one is pathetic during the day to say the least.
AU-MUSTD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2006, 09:14 PM   #9
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by loxxr6
While there's nothing wrong with a series 1 car, the series 2 would be better due to the fact of the brake upgrade alone.

If the car is well looked after then you should be happy either way.
agree 100%

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2006, 09:22 PM   #10
xd5.8l
Banned

Get a 5L avro. I've driven many AU LANES and can tell you that the initial shove in the back you get from the V8 is gold. The six can't match it in smoothness, acceleration or note. It all comes down to how much you value fuel economy? 14L per hundred around town from the six or 16L in V8.
xd5.8l is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2006, 10:05 PM   #11
HLC
Audi S3

we got a series 2 Fairlane sportsman VCT, the computer reads 13.6 litres/100klms... only has an exhaust. thats my mum driving. but it was that low when my dad had it and threw it around as well. so....
Old 20-03-2006, 12:43 AM   #12
loxxr6
XB in parts...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU-MUSTD
Mines a series one lane and i've never been left wanting more brakes and considering l tow a tandem daily l just dont get why everyone bags there brakes?? Definatly get the 6 unless it's the note your after cause the power dif in the two is unoticable one you get extracters and exhaust on the 6 plus fuel economy is heaps better. The only thing l found worth upgrading between 1 and 2 was the climate screen as the orange one is pathetic during the day to say the least.
I have a series one and the brakes are adequate for the type of driving I do (occasional quarter mile run and day to day traffic).

However what I'm saying is that if you can afford the next series then you're definately going to score some worthwhile upgrades over the first series.

Old 20-03-2006, 12:46 AM   #13
loxxr6
XB in parts...

Quote:
14L per hundred around town from the six or 16L in V8.
I'm not so sure that the 8 would be that close in economy as the 6.

Either way if petrol isn't a concern go with what you really want.

Old 20-03-2006, 12:58 AM   #14
RspecAU
BA GT-P Owner

They both have there good and bad points...If u get a 6 or an 8 remember one thing...Drive it like u stole it
ON MAXXIS MAV1's 275/45/17 13.27 @ 106mph
RspecAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2006, 08:02 AM   #15
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

Do some research on the au1 1/4 mile times vs AU2 in the 4.0 version motor. You will see that they were quoted to be faster by ford.However a newer car is going to be better.

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2006, 12:19 PM   #16
avro
Starter Motor

Thanks for the input. Sounds like the series 1 and 2 (and3) in both l6 or v8 are good vehicles, but as usual the later versions have some extra goodies. These AU's seem supa value these days particularly in the trade. Fuel consumption not a real issue as I currently dive a petrol 4wd so the 'lane can only be better!

Thanks again avro
avro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2006, 06:29 PM   #17
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

While I rarely venture into this neck of the woods, I thought I'd put my 2c in this thread

The AU 5.0 is the pinnacle of the stock Windsor offerings. Sure, it has "175kw" in base tune, but this 175kw motor comes with GT40P heads and Explorer manifolds. Whack on a full exhaust system (which will cost a few hundred more than an equivalent full exhaust for a six), swap the cam for a much hotter aftermarket example, and get a set of roller-rockers to match the cam, and you've got an extra 50kw. They really wake up with a cam and exhaust, as everything else is already there. Add a chip or similar into the equation, and that's 50kw at the rear wheels, rather than the flywheel. All this for $2-3k. Try getting similar power out of the six for a couple of grand.

For pre-AU Windsors, the six equivalent is much better bang for buck however.

-Dave-
mcflux is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2006, 08:38 PM   #18
GlennBA
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Basically the only difference between AU1/2 fairlane and LTD is the orange LCD displays in the interior is changed to grey on AU2, and the brakes on AU2 are twin piston whereas AU1 are single piston.
Oh and i think they upgraded the sound system on series 2.. not that it matters... ford sound systems suck anyway
GlennBA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2006, 10:52 PM   #19
Fez WQ

AU1 had more headgaskets go get au2
Fez WQ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2006, 11:09 PM   #20
xd5.8l
Banned

Ford sound systems are awesome for a stock unit compared with HOLDEN'S EUROVOX!!!!!!!!! poxy crap that is.
xd5.8l is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2006, 12:01 AM   #21
loxxr6
XB in parts...

Quote:
Try getting similar power out of the six for a couple of grand.
Its not as hard as you think...

I went from 110rwkw to 151rwkw in my 6 for $2200 (exhaust 1k, unichip $1200). The stock headwork *might* hold me back any more than this.

Anyway...Avro, how's the decision looking now ?