Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 11-03-2006, 08:51 PM   #1
onfire
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Few 99 AU Forte Questions

Iv noticed when I give it some.. when it reaches approx. 60-80kms and its still revving hard the Battery light flashes on and off a few times.. what is the cause of this?

The next question is probly connected to the first question. I had my stereo installed on wednesday.. even prior tot he stereo being installed the problem in question 1 was happening.. however, the Headunit fails to store any information.. such as presets, settings, etc. Is this connected to the first question.. maybe the result of a faulty battery or alternator.

The stereo consists of a Sony Xplod HU.. 250watt 2 channel Xplod Amp and 12" Song Sub.

Iv also noticed, since in the installation of the stereo, the Headlights dim with the bass.. Im guessing this is just down to dodgey installation?

Question 1 is the most important.. I can deal with Question 2's problem.

onfire is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2006, 09:15 PM   #2
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

I'de be checking your battery first , usually ull get that warning light as a sign the battery is running low voltage , also if your battery is half dead then this could be the cause of you loosing your preset radio stations. And with you saying your lights are dimming with the extra bass then ( and if this is with the motor running ) then i would almost put it down to your alternator, but check the battery first as you do also draw power from the battery and not just the alternator when you are powering alot of stuff. But a very low battery can cause the above .

:eclipsee_
XR6-VCT-2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2006, 09:18 PM   #3
onfire
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks very much.

Hoping its the battery.. btw whats the going cost of replacing the alternator?
Old 11-03-2006, 09:21 PM   #4
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by onfire
Thanks very much.

Hoping its the battery.. btw whats the going cost of replacing the alternator?
I wouldnt have a clue for the frice of an AU alternator , but there is a good chance i recon its gonna be your battery ;) .

Old 11-03-2006, 09:25 PM   #5
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Oh , a quick way to check , turn your headlights on for a few second with the car turned off , if the lights start dimming within seconds then your battery is knackered of half flat, try charge it first , if it still does the same thing after charging then its knackered. If you have a multimeter you can check the volts and amps of the battery , alot of knackered batterys will still show around 12 to 13 v but the amps rating will be very low ..gl

Old 11-03-2006, 09:36 PM   #6
onfire
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just tried that, and the lights stayed at the same level.

My Dad was just saying it could be the belt slipping, and all it needs it tightening.

Combine that with a dodgy install job or a fault in the Headunit?

Old 11-03-2006, 09:45 PM   #7
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Quote:
Just tried that, and the lights stayed at the same level.

My Dad was just saying it could be the belt slipping, and all it needs it tightening.

Combine that with a dodgy install job or a fault in the Headunit?
yeah spot on it could be that too , if your lights didn't dim after about 10 seconds while running the lights with the car OFF then it sounds like your battery is ok. yep maybe check the belt driving the alternator , make sure its tight enough , if it is then maybe it is your alternator. Isn't really anyhting else it could be off the top off my head i can think off ( as far as the light flashing on at high revs/speed ) , but as far as you loosing pre-set stations that also could be to do with if they have wired up your stereo in-correct. now i think of it there is a Good chance the belt is slipping , cos u mentioned it only flashes at high revs ( prolly when it slips ) , check it out ;) ... gl

Old 11-03-2006, 09:50 PM   #8
onfire
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks heaps for ur help.

Theres no issues starting up, or simply driving around town.. so the belt slipping is probly the problem.

As for the stereo.. I can live with that.

Thanks again.

Old 11-03-2006, 10:46 PM   #9
zoomzoom

WRONG GUYS
the reason why the alternator light comes on is because one of the diodes in the alternator is dodgy the alternator will eventually give up and you will have to replace it witha recond unit trust this has happened to me already
zoomzoom is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2006, 10:50 PM   #10
zoomzoom

question 2 i would say that the person who installed it has not applied constant voltage to the head unit thus the stereo wont hold any memory the reason why the headlight dull when the bas is on mmmmmmmmm im no electrician but it could be a couple of things one its not wired up correctly and maybe the dodgy alternator could also contribute to this problem or the amp is drawing to much current if this is the case get the car to a good stereo fitter
zoomzoom is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2006, 10:57 PM   #11
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

The battery and alternator combined should supply enough amps to supply the unit he decribed he is running np 250w 2 channel and a sub is bugger all ), he said the battery is ok so it sounds like the lights dimming is an alternator related issue, but also if it is a dodgy alternator then it will be loading the battery up pretty hard which could be stopping the stere from holding memory too , or its wired wrong , but i'de check the alternator first . Thats pretty dodgy if it is a diode gone in the alternator, i have never heard of this in my life on any other car , not to say it doesnt happen though ? ..

Old 11-03-2006, 11:50 PM   #12
My AU

Hi Onfire

Check fan belt per your dad, and Alternator operation per zoomzoom's suggestion. Remove and clean your battery connectors with a wire brush, apply Vaseline and refit. Clean the alternator connectors while you're at it.

If you can start your car then your stereo will have ample volts to run preset memory (draws just millivolts from the battery). Again as per zoomzoom's suggestion make sure the wire for the memory has been connected to constant power (not accessory power) and that the casing of the head unit is securely fastened to the car's chassis. Look at this carefully, you will not get a good earth unless you screw the wire on to an UNPAINTED metal part of the car. If the earth is screwed to a painted part of the frame, remove it and scratch some paint off, and rescrew it on with one of those washers that will bite into the metal.

As far as your lights dimming with the bass use a heavy guage wire run straight from the battery positive terminal. Make sure you install a heavy duty fuse on the wire AS CLOSE AS POSSIBLE to the battery (for safety reasons in case of a short). This should fix your light dimming problems provided your battery and alternator are ok.
My AU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2006, 11:54 PM   #13
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Replacement Battery - around $130
Replacement alternator - around $350 to $650, depending on whether you go reco or new. They are cheaper on ebay, but no idea what quality they would be from there.

I reckon it's the alternator as well. Check the water level in the battery - top up if required (distilled water only). Then check alternator belt, and tighten if necessary (at rest, it should move in about 1/2 inch when squeezed).
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2006, 01:38 AM   #14
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

it can't be a loose belt guys, the serpertine belt self tensions and other than an idler bearing collapsing which sounds TERRIBLE i have never seen a tensioner fail

Another thing to have a look at before you replace the alternator, is check the power steering pump and high pressure lines for leaks,, Oil in the alternator is the number one cause of premature alternator deaths on the i6. No use spending good coin on an alt if it will only fill with oil.

Racecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2006, 08:53 PM   #15
onfire
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks guys.

Old 14-03-2006, 08:26 PM   #16
onfire
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Iv got a bit of a theory.. Im guessing as Revs increase the engine requires more power from the battery.. my problem is that when I hit high Revs, the light flashes on and off.. instead of being an alternator problem, could it simply be the battery not being able to supply enough power?

Old 21-03-2006, 06:13 PM   #17
onfire
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Got it checked out last week.. besides the battery being the original and needing to be replaced.. he said nothing is wrong with it.. and can only put it down to maybe a fault. He said the alternator is working fine. Weird.

Old 21-03-2006, 07:21 PM   #18
TwistedEL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Iv got a bit of a theory.. Im guessing as Revs increase the engine requires more power from the battery.. my problem is that when I hit high Revs, the light flashes on and off.. instead of being an alternator problem, could it simply be the battery not being able to supply enough power?
Once the car is warm all power required to run the engine should be coming from the alternator. If it's the original battery it should have been changed long ago anyway, so change it and then see if your light still comes on. If it does you have another problem. It will either be stuffed alternator or current drain from your dodge audio setup . What rating is the fuse on your amp (if it was done properly you should find it in the engine bay very close to the battery)? If there isn't such a fuse then your car is a firetrap on wheels and I suggest you disconnect the amp immediately.

Seriously it can't be stressed enough that the amp line has to be fused as soon as it leaves the battery.
TwistedEL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2006, 08:51 PM   #19
onfire
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedEL
Once the car is warm all power required to run the engine should be coming from the alternator. If it's the original battery it should have been changed long ago anyway, so change it and then see if your light still comes on. If it does you have another problem. It will either be stuffed alternator or current drain from your dodge audio setup . What rating is the fuse on your amp (if it was done properly you should find it in the engine bay very close to the battery)? If there isn't such a fuse then your car is a firetrap on wheels and I suggest you disconnect the amp immediately.

Seriously it can't be stressed enough that the amp line has to be fused as soon as it leaves the battery.
Changed the battery.. the alternator was checked and apparently its fine. The stereo was professional installed. And the problem was occuring prior to the stereo being put in.

My moneys still on the alternator, dispite the battery guy saying its ok.