Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 21-03-2006, 10:48 AM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thumbs down Ford NOT Standing By Their Warranty

Please spread the word Ford are not standing by their motors.
This did happen recently. Read on.

Sent: Monday, March 20, 2006 7:56 AM

Ford Motor Company has revealed, on all new 7.3ltr diesel F250, the fuel screen in the fuel tank is able to disintegrate within hours after receiving poor fuel. Ford are miss diagnosing this problem claiming it is an electrical fault with the fuel pump. As they are not fixing the problem, vehicles are continuing to break down. As a result the impending repairs are then no longer warranty work and are to be paid for by the customer.

Cost of repair:

Tow truck: $1000+

Fuel Screen: $1700

Fuel Pump: $1500 (X2 as they will claim the first is no longer warranty)

Tank of Fuel: $1.30 per litre

Labour: $60 per/hour

A couple in Melbourne returned to Ford 3 time to fix the problem which led to injector failure.

Friends in Mandurah returned twice to the same Ford dealer only to find they were being blamed for the poor fuel and their F250 would not be fixed under warranty.

Ford are not taking responsibility for the failure of the part, and are refusing to repair F250 with the problem as warranty.

Pass this onto anyone with or wanting to buy a F250. For what they cost - it isn't worth it????

I have just received this email a week after fighting with Ford for warranty If anyone has had or heard of similar faults please contact lsbirch@bigpond.net.au

csv8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2006, 10:56 AM   #2
tex
Broken

Not good at all.

The trucks should be recalled and fitted with the appropriate fuel screen.

What ingredient in the diesel destroys the strainer ? It must be mighty corrosive. What about other components in the fuel system, injector rails etc, etc. ?

Good luck.

11.4 @ 128, 1.88 60ft.
tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2006, 11:18 AM   #3
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

Is it the same component they use in the states?
Laminge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2006, 11:24 AM   #4
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They dont use the 7.3L in the states, it was replaced by a much better 6L TD a few years ago.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2006, 02:00 PM   #5
BA_Turbs
Allan Smithee

Sounds terrible, but the worst thing about it was the towing costs. Time to get a new towing contractor, someone's getting robbed blind.
BA_Turbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2006, 02:05 PM   #6
EvilChief
Boost Addict

1000 for a tow truck???????
LN65 Hilux Turbo - sold
EL31 Corolla Turbo - sold
Ford AU Ute Turbo - sold
Ford AU XR8 Sedan - 5.4l V8 Turbo (in the build)
Ford BA XR6T Ute - daily driver
Ford FG XR6T Sedan - cruiser

do you see a general trend? I DO

Can't live with it, can't live without it!
EvilChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2006, 02:08 PM   #7
BlackLS

Damn did they buy the tow truck
Old 21-03-2006, 02:09 PM   #8
Stampy

I guess a big *** truck is needed to tow a F250 truck
Old 21-03-2006, 02:38 PM   #9
lunatic
Lunatic

When i Had a Suburban 6.5 td on my way home one trip from Perth i could not get more than 60 out of it on the tonkin untill it was up to half way on the temp gauge took it in to citys and they said all was fine bloody machines to decided to leave early nexy morning same again took it back samo samo said heres the keys you try next morning well well but it shows no fault codes
$3500 latter and two weeks later I have read some were that is cause australia has a high sulpher content in the fuel cause the o rings in the fuel pump were just S@&t just one of the reason i have no longer
Old 21-03-2006, 04:19 PM   #10
SSBUB
SSuper SSpy

i bought my SS from Mandurah Ford (Lane Ford)
Had a few warranty claims from p/s pump, serpentine belt, electric window acenuator, central locking on passenger door...smallish stuff and they have fixed it all...moral of the story? dont buy a ford from a ford dealer lol...nah just kiddin...i dont know why you would want a big f250 anyway, they are way overpriced.
SSBUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2006, 05:41 PM   #11
nb_351
building the xe...

and they are totally unnecessary... fair enough if people put unleaded in it, but not crappy diesel, how are you supposed to know... your not, they dont say we have average diesel, but its all you can get so stiff s**t do they? it could also be water content... and the high pressures of diesel fuel system...
nb_351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2006, 09:21 PM   #12
AUXRVIII
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think there is more to this story than we are being told. For starters I can't see anything in the tank getting past the fuel filter & causing an injector to fail. Also we get farmers F-series into our dealer workshop with water & sludge buildup in the bottom of the filter bowl due to the crappy storage tanks on the farm & these things just keep going.
Ford will not warrant damage done by crap fuel, take it up with the fuel company, they have an obligation to sell quality fuel.
AUXRVIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2006, 10:38 PM   #13
MNM96
LIFELONG DJR SUPPORTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunatic
When i Had a Suburban 6.5 td on my way home one trip from Perth i could not get more than 60 out of it on the tonkin untill it was up to half way on the temp gauge took it in to citys and they said all was fine bloody machines to decided to leave early nexy morning same again took it back samo samo said heres the keys you try next morning well well but it shows no fault codes
$3500 latter and two weeks later I have read some were that is cause australia has a high sulpher content in the fuel cause the o rings in the fuel pump were just S@&t just one of the reason i have no longer

WTF Language is that. Try English, with punctuation!
MNM96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2006, 10:43 PM   #14
MNM96
LIFELONG DJR SUPPORTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
Please spread the word Ford are not standing by their motors.
This did happen recently. Read on.

Sent: Monday, March 20, 2006 7:56 AM

Ford Motor Company has revealed, on all new 7.3ltr diesel F250, the fuel screen in the fuel tank is able to disintegrate within hours after receiving poor fuel. Ford are miss diagnosing this problem claiming it is an electrical fault with the fuel pump. As they are not fixing the problem, vehicles are continuing to break down. As a result the impending repairs are then no longer warranty work and are to be paid for by the customer.

Cost of repair:

Tow truck: $1000+

Fuel Screen: $1700

Fuel Pump: $1500 (X2 as they will claim the first is no longer warranty)

Tank of Fuel: $1.30 per litre

Labour: $60 per/hour

A couple in Melbourne returned to Ford 3 time to fix the problem which led to injector failure.

Friends in Mandurah returned twice to the same Ford dealer only to find they were being blamed for the poor fuel and their F250 would not be fixed under warranty.

Ford are not taking responsibility for the failure of the part, and are refusing to repair F250 with the problem as warranty.

Pass this onto anyone with or wanting to buy a F250. For what they cost - it isn't worth it????

I have just received this email a week after fighting with Ford for warranty If anyone has had or heard of similar faults please contact lsbirch@bigpond.net.au

Firstly, The fault was siht fuel, why would Ford be responsible for that?
Secondly, how did the crud make it past the fuel filter to allow the failure?
Thirdly, how do you say "towing $1000"? this would be on a case by case basis!
Find another soap box, this ones overcrowded already!

PS, don't take offence, where running out of fences, plenty of gates however!
MNM96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2006, 10:56 PM   #15
SSBUB
SSuper SSpy

well he is a lunatic
SSBUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2006, 11:46 PM   #16
5thFordWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNM96
WTF Language is that. Try English, with punctuation!
You just need to be a local.

the tonkin = the Tonkin Highway.

citys = City Motors (holden dealer)

Now try it again!

Cheers
2016 SZ Territory TX 4.0 Petrol (6th & last?)(Sadly, written off)
2004 WRX (Retirement Toy)
5thFordWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2006, 07:09 AM   #17
Falcon Freak
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUXRVIII
I think there is more to this story than we are being told. For starters I can't see anything in the tank getting past the fuel filter & causing an injector to fail. Also we get farmers F-series into our dealer workshop with water & sludge buildup in the bottom of the filter bowl due to the crappy storage tanks on the farm & these things just keep going.
Ford will not warrant damage done by crap fuel, take it up with the fuel company, they have an obligation to sell quality fuel.
Correct. Ford is not alone in taking this stance. Car companies will not be held responsible for poor quality fuel. They will not honour any warranty claims which are due to issues beyond their control.

FF
Falcon Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2006, 07:32 AM   #18
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Freak
Correct. Ford is not alone in taking this stance. Car companies will not be held responsible for poor quality fuel. They will not honour any warranty claims which are due to issues beyond their control.

FF
.. and fuel companies will not warranty ANYTHING ..
Just TRY get compensation from a fuel company for crap fuel. I went down this track with LPG .. surprisingly I got a call from some guy on the LPG regulation board .. blah .. blah.
"We are very sorry about your problem, but it could be from any fillup, not just your last one, it could be a mechanical fault, etc, etc .."
I'd rather take my chances with Ford.
OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2006, 12:29 PM   #19
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There was a rash of pump failures down here in South Texas. They did trace it to bad diesel. My dealer repaired mine under warranty, put an inline filter on the suction side of the pump and sent me on my merry way. As I remember it it was the intank filter that would plug, This would then cause the inline pump to fail.
csv8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2006, 07:11 PM   #20
AUXRVIII
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ahh so the crud in the tank would block the pickup strainer, fuel starvation causes elec fuel pump & injector to fail, remembering that diesel fuel components are lubricated by the fuel. I wouldn't pay warranty on that either.
Old 23-03-2006, 01:00 PM   #21
Ringo
I see you....

Water is also a killer and will get past all fuel filters but hopefully be caught by a water seperator

Seen it happen plenty of times to new cars. Pump, injectors, fuel rail, filters etc etc all needed to be replaced.
Ringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2006, 06:28 PM   #22
460cixy
burn out king

we deal with them nearly every day at work if not every second or third day. thay come in dribs and drabs. but havent had any problems like this yet. i gather the strainer is a nylon type stuff like the exploders and other septic fords .
460cixy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2006, 06:44 PM   #23
nge

On Ford's Behalf that is certainly NOT GOOD ENOUGH.

Disapointed. :
Old 23-03-2006, 06:45 PM   #24
RATT

I don't see how promoting a site has anything to do with this particular thread.
Old 23-03-2006, 07:02 PM   #25
nge

Quote:
Originally Posted by RATT
I don't see how promoting a site has anything to do with this particular thread.

because clearly it is not good enough. All companies should Stand by their Warranties. I would urge the customer to seek a legal resolution through the courts if Ford Australia fail to comply with their warranty.
Old 23-03-2006, 07:09 PM   #26
eb91xr6
V8 Ute V8 Boat

Time to call the RAA
125 Thumpster 2010
Swag
All set for the weekend
eb91xr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2006, 07:11 PM   #27
AUXRVIII
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by nge
because clearly it is not good enough. All companies should Stand by their Warranties. I would urge the customer to seek a legal resolution through the courts if Ford Australia fail to comply with their warranty.
I think you need to familiarise yourself with automotive manufacturer warranties. You may then see this differently.
Old 23-03-2006, 11:30 PM   #28
RATT

Quote:
Originally Posted by nge
Well clearly the facts, meaning the truth, need to be found out first.

And fact is, you are only here to spam us with your website. :
Old 23-03-2006, 11:48 PM   #29
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

bah!

Another one always signs ups!
Laminge is offline   Reply With Quote