Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 09-04-2006, 07:42 PM   #31
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Joshf2 - A UHF CB is handy for road information. Road channel is 40, but on the Pacific Highway, for some unknown reason lost to history, they say channel 29 is used. That said, a lady friend sits on 40 regardless, on that road and still hears radio traffic, go figure. . .

Make sure your cars in top notch. Carry some safety gear, torch, fire extinguisher etc.

Steer clear of Victorian registrations (likely fatigued and confused, kindalike 'dementia'). The Queenslanders, well:-)

Viva NSW!
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2006, 07:50 PM   #32
Bluehoon
Hoon On The Rise

Off topic,

29 was originally used as all other areas.

40 was used by lindsay fox for all their blokes to chat on, needless to say, everyone got on board.

29 is basically dead between Sydney and Brisbane, they all sit on 40...

FGX-XR8 Manual, BFII E-Gas, '11 GSXR 1000 - Love 'em!
FPV Tickford Club of NSW - www.fpvclub.com
Bluehoon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2006, 07:52 PM   #33
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluehoon
Off topic,

29 was originally used as all other areas.

40 was used by lindsay fox for all their blokes to chat on, needless to say, everyone got on board.

29 is basically dead between Sydney and Brisbane, they all sit on 40...
AND that is appropriate!!
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2006, 07:56 PM   #34
TURBO_GHIA
hmmm boost

i do blue mountains to byron a few times a year it took me last time 9 1/2 hrs
TUNED BY JEM
TURBO_GHIA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2006, 08:30 PM   #35
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSparkle
Well I'm up here now (Gold Coast)..... I left at 3am pre-daylight savings time, and got up here at lunchtime. It's a pretty easy drive up if you do it at the right time. If you can manage to do a full overnight run (leave Sydney 8pm or so), you'll have the road to yourself for the entire trip! As mentioned, there are plenty of opportunities to stop and grab a bite/drink/slash/poo/nap.

I refuse to do the trip during the day - the Pacific Hwy is just rubbish once you get more than 3 or 4 cars in a row on it! I've always said that I'd MUCH rather take my chances with animals and the night, than with other people.
What he said.
Dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2006, 07:51 AM   #36
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshf2
at the moment, i'll be driving this one solo, so my concerns are quite predominant in my head, ie, never driven the route, never driven that far in one hit, and doing it at night as well.

the camera's dont really concern me, i can keep reasonably level headed about my speed.

The first drive up along there is a best one usually ... it's a well signposted ... so you won't get lost at all (unless you are blind .... hee hee).

If you start feeling tired ... there's plenty of places to pull over and get a quick nap to refresh yourself ... and plenty of 24 hour food/servo stops.

It's a fairly easy drive ... and the problems associated with the road are due to road users ... not the road itself.

Although between Grafton and Ballina ... there are a couple of long "NARROW" bridges that trucks love to fly along (and cops like to hide behind as well) ... these would be the only places I'd be wary of.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2006, 09:03 AM   #37
BlackLS

Hey Josh, I'm on holidays now as well and should be heading up around the same time as well.

Speed cameras.
http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/roadsafety...ydney_dl1.html

Id take the Pacific, New England can get very boring at the best of times. I've done the drive before, people normally cruise at 120 on the 2 lane bits, on single lane they go about 5 below the limit if theres a caravan.

Last time i drove there and back was on my L Plates and it took about 9 hours with the breaks cut out.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2006, 12:29 PM   #38
HOON69
Banned

my advise and i do this run all the time as i have to go from brissy to canberra etc a few times a year etc

always leave in the wee hours to get through sydney without any hassles etc
worst thing is thinking that a 6am would help as it doesnt

i went from one side of sydney and out the other in less then 1/3rd the time as there was hardly a car about

then once you've cleared sydney,its easy sailing be careful of road works and the such
driving straight and not taking detours is the best bet(of course take your hourly/2hourly stops etc)

canberra to brisbane 11hours 30mins so you'll be right ;)

mainly watch around kempsey-coffs harbour area for heavy police activity and newcastke to kempsey for road works etc

every time i head away you go from 110-100-40-80-60-100 its never ending
and of course dont speed as theres plenty of cameras and they give plenty of warnings as they have big mofo signs stating the obvious

and most of all leave a day before the holidays as everyone seems to leave the friday etc
me i always leave 36-48hours before the holidays as to not get caught up in the hysteria on the hwy's
HOON69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2006, 02:54 PM   #39
Buf-Phoon
Starter Motor

Do this run pretty regularly , from the Hills district to Surfers is usually 10-10.5 hours door to door including a quick snack and refuel at Coffs average speed around 95 kmph.

That said a few trailer house convoys or a bingle and you can make that a fair bit longer

Personally I would not like to be driving this over Easter as from Taree to Ballina will be sh*tfull
Old 10-04-2006, 04:45 PM   #40
nat_daly
Nat D

at aq good speed it took me and my mum 9 hours and shes pretty much a nazi when it comes to speeding and that was in january
old ride#1: ED XR6 5 speed-gone to new home:(
old ride#2:dumped EL fairmont 5l
new ride: Winter white AU2 XR8-manual
nat_daly is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post