Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 12-04-2006, 09:48 PM   #1
niko
likes falcon's

Default ve write up

http://www.theage.com.au/news/news/v...521322551.html

Old 12-04-2006, 09:50 PM   #2
Falcon Freak
Banned

The last paragraph sums it up perfectly:

"The only problem is: the bigger, heavier and (likely) thirstier Commodore will arrive in a market that has turned its back on big Aussie sedans, the meat-and-three-veg of the automotive world. Given that our palates have changed, the new Commodore will need something more than special sauce."

FF
Falcon Freak is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2006, 11:19 PM   #3
chief
FTF Club Moderator

A very good read. Here are some of the paragraphs tha I liked best.

It also explains why the next Commodore will be the most multicultural model Holden has ever produced, with more foreign parts than before. Will buyers be able to notice where Holden has cut costs - and corners?

With previous Commodores, Holden boasted about the local content of its cars. Now it refuses to divulge details. Taillights from Korea, fuel injectors from China, wheels made in Thailand, body-moulding tools made in Japan. And that's just a taste. "We don't discuss that level of detail," is the stern response from Holden's spokesman Jason Laird. "We don't discuss local content."

Since General Motors' European division Opel killed off its large rear-drive sedan (it was originally called the Commodore, then the Senator and then the Omega) three years ago, Holden has been faced with the proposition of developing the car itself.

Falcon Tickford FPV (FTF) Car Club of NSW

Fords in the Park 2010

I use and recommend Stingray Car Security.
http://www.stingraycar.com.au/
chief is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2006, 12:51 AM   #4
2kool4u

Location: I live in my own little world, but it's alright, the people know me here

another whinge about ve thread
Old 13-04-2006, 07:35 AM   #5
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kool4u
another whinge about ve thread
This from a man whose ancestors once said "Gee what a lovely wooden horse, of course I'll sign for it".

Quote:
Powered by GE
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2006, 09:34 AM   #6
niko
likes falcon's

well i hope the locals dont loose to many jobs.
Old 13-04-2006, 09:37 AM   #7
Poetic Justice
NOT A TOYOTA :/

Why is it such a case that it's going to be a thirstier car?

Perhaps Holden have been working on a lot of methods to improve the fuel economy.
Old 13-04-2006, 10:10 AM   #8
jmc-007

yeah exactly. like the BA company car I have is heavier and uses less fuel than my 1992 Falcon S

:
jmc-007 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2006, 10:47 AM   #9
niko
likes falcon's

cough, new and efficient vs tired motor/components.
Old 13-04-2006, 12:20 PM   #10
Thunder
I.B.S is a pain in d'***

"But Holden has switched from some local suppliers in favour of foreign suppliers who are cheaper. Holden does not apologise for this."

Sign of the times?
Old 13-04-2006, 12:40 PM   #11
big_pete
Sublime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder
"But Holden has switched from some local suppliers in favour of foreign suppliers who are cheaper. Holden does not apologise for this."

Sign of the times?
indeed, i cant see it getting any better either........
Old 13-04-2006, 01:00 PM   #12
XplosiveR6
Viper FG XR6 Turbo

i realy dont understand all the fuss about the new commodore, its just going to be the same old running gear under a new refreshed shell, thats it. what makes this more different to any other new commodore model? Holden does very little engineering of mechanical components and most are outsourced, it may have a couple of technical advancements, but these would most likely be off the shelf components woopee.

For example, the last all new model from holden was the VT, it had the exact same gearbox, engine and suspension as the VS, all it was was a different shell.
XplosiveR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2006, 03:05 PM   #13
max
LWBforME

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_pete
indeed, i cant see it getting any better either........

Now sit down everybody, 'cause I'm gonna tell you a story. Back in 1967 my dad was wanting to update his EH Premier. Well, off he went to his favourite Holden dealer at the time, Freeman Motors, here in Adelaide. He looked at some HR Premiers on the showroom floor and said to old Cyril the sales manager: "You know Cyril, I kinda like these new HR Premiers, and I do want to update, but in the ol' EH, there was a white steering wheel which I really liked, is it possible to make a white one for a HR? and I really want a radio with speakers in the back and the front with fade adjustment. Also I don't like the white-wall tyres standard on Premiers, and I want radials not cross-plies. Yeah, and I don't like the HR hub-caps, could we get new EJ ones with the red emblem in the centres and fit them? And sorry Cyril but I'd really like a Lukey Muffler, just for a nice note, if you follow me. By the way Cyril, all these new Premiers are Powerglide auto trans standard equipment, and you know I definitely want a manual? Cyril, the final thing is, I don't like the color range of the new HR Premiers. I'd like mine to be the same color as my old EH Premier, which was Roebuck Pearl". When dad got home he remembered one crucial thing and frantically rang Cyril back: "Cyril, the last thing is, I want the 186S motor with the 2bbl. carby, not the standard 161 or 186".

Well, old Cyril patiently filled out a special customer order form, and in a few weeks dad had his GMH Adelaide built-to-order, custom HR Premier which he happily kept for many years. That was when GMH was a great local company. Holdens were truly a genuine Australian product. Those times are well and truly over. What a pity.
max is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2006, 06:52 PM   #14
big_pete
Sublime

Quote:
Originally Posted by max
Now sit down everybody, 'cause I'm gonna tell you a story. Back in 1967 my dad was wanting to update his EH Premier. Well, off he went to his favourite Holden dealer at the time, Freeman Motors, here in Adelaide. He looked at some HR Premiers on the showroom floor and said to old Cyril the sales manager: "You know Cyril, I kinda like these new HR Premiers, and I do want to update, but in the ol' EH, there was a white steering wheel which I really liked, is it possible to make a white one for a HR? and I really want a radio with speakers in the back and the front with fade adjustment. Also I don't like the white-wall tyres standard on Premiers, and I want radials not cross-plies. Yeah, and I don't like the HR hub-caps, could we get new EJ ones with the red emblem in the centres and fit them? And sorry Cyril but I'd really like a Lukey Muffler, just for a nice note, if you follow me. By the way Cyril, all these new Premiers are Powerglide auto trans standard equipment, and you know I definitely want a manual? Cyril, the final thing is, I don't like the color range of the new HR Premiers. I'd like mine to be the same color as my old EH Premier, which was Roebuck Pearl". When dad got home he remembered one crucial thing and frantically rang Cyril back: "Cyril, the last thing is, I want the 186S motor with the 2bbl. carby, not the standard 161 or 186".

Well, old Cyril patiently filled out a special customer order form, and in a few weeks dad had his GMH Adelaide built-to-order, custom HR Premier which he happily kept for many years. That was when GMH was a great local company. Holdens were truly a genuine Australian product. Those times are well and truly over. What a pity.
haha, too true
did you make that up yourself!
Old 18-04-2006, 09:54 AM   #15
max
LWBforME

Nope its true. Couldn't make up bullИИИИ like that if I tried. The old man WAS a bit of a stickler for individualism.
Old 18-04-2006, 10:12 AM   #16
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You should have kept the car........
csv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2006, 03:42 PM   #17
max
LWBforME

Yeah, many is the time I wish that I had kept it!