Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 21-04-2006, 09:35 PM   #1
WILDTRAKPX2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default The New Mitsubishi VR-X 4WD

The look is... well, very Freelanderish but with an unusual small headlight design.
The power is very inadequate (149kw) for a 3.8L V6 24V SOHC Petrol.
Only a 5 speed manual/auto and around 14L/100 economy.
The Territory has nothing to worry about, just like the Falcon didn't with the 380.
What do you guys/girls think?

http://www.mitsubishi-motors.com.au/...roVRXflyer.pdf

WILDTRAKPX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2006, 09:46 PM   #2
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

hmm sorta looks like a cross between a rangie and a landcruiser too me, looks ok but as you say Shockwave XR8, the territory has nothing to worry about
mik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2006, 09:49 PM   #3
XR8 queen
Starter Motor

yawnnnnnnnnnn.... not for me fanx!!!!
XR8 queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2006, 10:03 PM   #4
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Looks like Mits got some of their PD staff at one of the dealers to do a quick fibreglass mock up for the lights, as for the grill it looks like something you see ont eh front of an airconditioner..

Very very non original looking.
2024.50 Mustang Darkhorse 6M Blue Ember + Appearance pack ETA Jan 25.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2006, 10:04 PM   #5
blutura
ZX-6R & Falcon pilot

149kW? my microwave makes more power than that, plus its cheaper to run.

You can only have two.
blutura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2006, 10:05 PM   #6
AnthonyQLD
Boss power

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShockWaveXR6na
as for the grill it looks like something you see ont eh front of an airconditioner..
thats what i was thinking
Old 21-04-2006, 11:04 PM   #7
pertuan
Focus on my Focus

I dont mind it. I'd like to see it in person though before I pass judgement.

Now normally when we have these races, Jeremy goes in the car and says "Powerrr" alot.... - James speaking about Jeremy (Top Gear S7 E05)

American parts... Russian parts... ALL MADE IN TAIWAN! - Russian guy in Armegeddon
pertuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2006, 11:12 PM   #8
Matty4
Banana

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShockWaveXR6na
Looks like Mits got some of their PD staff at one of the dealers to do a quick fibreglass mock up for the lights, as for the grill it looks like something you see ont eh front of an airconditioner..

Very very non original looking.
Well Mitsubishi do have an air conditioner company, maybe they raided their parts bin by mistake???
Old 21-04-2006, 11:32 PM   #9
Big Mike
Acid Rush XB Coupe

For those of you playing at home - that is not some crazy new car trying to compete for your soft-road dollars, and is in a completely different league to the Territory. That is a MITSUBISHI PAJERO, albeit a rather underdone attempt at a sporty version when you see it up close - there is no new model or sheetmetal, it is merely a new spec level for an existing, excellent, though dated, Pajero 4x4. And while I think I understand what the guys were getting at (when you see it in the metal/fibreglass) I personally think it missed the mark.

Just to add to ShockwaveXR8's comment - dude it also comes with the 3.2L DID which is a pretty remarkable feat of engineering in itself - and I gotta tell ya'll I was pretty surprised with the DID's performance back when it first came out. It has very flat power and torque curves peaking with 373Nm @ 2,000 revs, and the Mitsi 5spd autos find the torque very well. With 10.7L/100k combined cycle and being its a great big Prado competitor (not Territory/Klugger at all) the diesel version would get a test drive if I was in the market!
Big Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2006, 12:46 AM   #10
Steffo
LPG > You

Territory > Pajero VR-X.
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2006, 12:53 AM   #11
Deadman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Dissapointed Mitsubishi has gone down the tubes. :(
Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2006, 02:13 AM   #12
MAFIA
Grange killer!!!!

U know what if i ever buy a new car it would be a Black 380 GT. Love the style of this car and it agressive apperance. They drive really nice too! Damn i want one and i don't know why but they appeal so much to me.

INSURED BY MAFIA. YOU HIT US, WE KILL YOU!

FORD FTE AU T-SERIES CLUB OF AUSTRALIA
www.tseriesclub.org
MAFIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2006, 09:27 AM   #13
Doogstar
B-Series Moderator

My girlfriend has a 2005 Mitsubishi Outlander VRX. Very nice car, has leather, alloys,sunroof and all electrics. Only a few minor issues with it that the dealer fixed.

Not quite enough power for me, (2.4lt 4cy)l but she is very happy with it. It was only about 36K brand new. It now comes with DVD and GPS, which she missed out on by a couple of months. I think it looks better than the Pajero IMHO.

380rwkw - 11.68 @ 120.94mph 60ft=1.97
Custom Tune, Exhaust. injectors.1.2K Plazmaman 1.2K Plenum kit

Now with bigger turbo and 426rwkw.
Doogstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2006, 11:31 AM   #14
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Yep seen these at work. The lights look very cheap up close but the grille doesnt look too bad.

I think Mitsubishi should of put a bit more effort in to it. Its still got the same wheels as the other models. And the only real difference inside is the chrome auto shifter :
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2006, 11:42 AM   #15
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Now that's odd. Hyundai's Terracan is based on the Pajero platform and uses it's sheetmetal but with their own style and bits. That pajero however looks alot like a Terracan. And that V6 petrol engine isn't that bad, they do get up and go. My parents have one and are quite happy with it.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2006, 11:57 AM   #16
MeestaNob!
XR5T - Sea Grey.

I reckon I could live with the grill, but the headlight mods need to stay in the late 80s where they were found.
MeestaNob! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2006, 01:09 PM   #17
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeh, the indicator looks like something youd stick to your box trailer, if they had of perhaps fitted an LED indicator it would have looked good, the grill looks aftermarket and crap, i hate it.
2024.50 Mustang Darkhorse 6M Blue Ember + Appearance pack ETA Jan 25.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2006, 08:38 PM   #18
Big Mike
Acid Rush XB Coupe

Green EL: Terracan and Pajero sharing underpinnings? I wasn't aware of that at all - the Pajero is a monocoque design, and certainly driving the Terracan I was sure it was an inferior ladder-frame style like the Prado as it felt simillarly truck-like and nothing like the Pajero. I'm not saying you're wrong - but I was never aware of the two sharing anything. I had a Terracan for a weekend (I used to work at a car yard you see) and found it cumbersome and thirsty, very dissapointing and overpriced.
Old 23-04-2006, 06:16 AM   #19
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Mike
Green EL: Terracan and Pajero sharing underpinnings? I wasn't aware of that at all - the Pajero is a monocoque design, and certainly driving the Terracan I was sure it was an inferior ladder-frame style like the Prado as it felt simillarly truck-like and nothing like the Pajero. I'm not saying you're wrong - but I was never aware of the two sharing anything. I had a Terracan for a weekend (I used to work at a car yard you see) and found it cumbersome and thirsty, very dissapointing and overpriced.
Sit them next to each other and you'll see that i'm right. I read about it in motor magazine so i'd hope that they are right.
Old 23-04-2006, 07:15 AM   #20
outback_ute
Ute Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

Terracan is based on the previous generation Pajero not the current one
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2006, 07:21 AM   #21
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by outback_ute
If that's right, I stand corrected.
Old 23-04-2006, 09:50 AM   #22
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by outback_ute
And the present generation Pajero is the previous generation's technology. This new one is simply a dinosaur tarted up to bring it forward into the paleolithic era. The Territory has nothing to worry about.
Old 24-04-2006, 09:38 PM   #23
Big Mike
Acid Rush XB Coupe

"new2ford" The Territory has nothing to worry about because the Pajero is of no relevance to it. Mitsubishi's equivelant is the Challenger which is old hat by comparison. Why on earth would you lot compare a Prado/Pajero/Pathfinder to a Territory? Do Territories come with 7 seats at all? They certainly aren't AWD/4WD standard that's for sure. Territory sits well amongst its league of Challenger/Murrano/Klugger/Jackaroo cars I don't argue with that. But comparing a Territory and a Pajero is no less stupid than comparing it with Outlander/Escape/Tribute/Forrester/Rav-4/X-Trail/etc, or with Patrol/100-Series Landcruiser vehicles.

And as for previous generation's technology, well actually the monocoque of the current Pajero is better than its competitors and the M.A.T.T. system standard accross the range is far superior to the electronic aids only found in the $72,000 Prado Grandé's yet surrounded by such hype in the succesful Toyota fashion. I don't intend to cause any kind of argument, but I feel your statement is incorrect. Though I do agree the existing Pajero is starting to feel dated by comparison relative to how superior it once was; and its soon-to-arrive replacement couldn't come soon enough, I still think the existing model is a better car than ITS competitors - and don't understand why ANYONE would think a Territory would be on par with it.

Outback_Ute/Green_EL Based on the older version makes sense. With fairly spongee suspension too. That's certainly a possibility - and makes more sense the more I think about it!