Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 27-04-2006, 02:38 PM   #31
marcosambrose

On another point - If a company isnt sustainable, it shuts down.

You guys have to think economically about Ford Australia, if its not selling enough cars it wont make a profit.
marcosambrose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2006, 02:50 PM   #32
Mark351
Built Ford Tough

As already discussed, fuel economy is on Ford Aus's radar. Fleets also buys cars for practicality, and sometimes a small car isn't practical.

The volume of cars sold is not strictly proportionate to profit made. If they sell enough vehicles with a healthy profit margin on each unit, then they will make a profit. Ford Aus also sell engineering expertise, as demonstrated by their work on the Indian Fiesta. One area you're forgetting as well is parts. Parts make car companies big bickies. Ford's existing customer base, plus that which it maintains by selling more locally manufactured vehicles = a steady profit stream.

...and unlike Ford in the US, Ford Aus is not burdened by the same outrageous demands of industry-destroying unions.

However, unlike the US again, Ford Aus does not financially benefit from Ford Credit Australia, as FCA is wholely owned by Ford Credit US, so profit go back to the parent company (and is part of the reason Ford is still alive...)

I guess some of us are thinking more economically than you yourself are marcos - think outside the 'car manufacturing/selling' business. That's only one part of Ford Aus.
Mark351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2006, 02:53 PM   #33
marcosambrose

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathXR
As already discussed, fuel economy is on Ford Aus's radar. Fleets also buys cars for practicality, and sometimes a small car isn't practical.

The volume of cars sold is not strictly proportionate to profit made. If they sell enough vehicles with a healthy profit margin on each unit, then they will make a profit. Ford Aus also sell engineering expertise, as demonstrated by their work on the Indian Fiesta. One area you're forgetting as well is parts. Parts make car companies big bickies. Ford's existing customer base, plus that which it maintains by selling more locally manufactured vehicles = a steady profit stream.

...and unlike Ford in the US, Ford Aus is not burdened by the same outrageous demands of industry-destroying unions.

However, unlike the US again, Ford Aus does not financially benefit from Ford Credit Australia, as FCA is wholely owned by Ford Credit US, so profit go back to the parent company (and is part of the reason Ford is still alive...)

I guess some of us are thinking more economically than you yourself are marcos - think outside the 'car manufacturing/selling' business. That's only one part of Ford Aus.
well said and points taken, although the Orion Falcon will definitely be released, i cant help but see that we are heading towards a Kiwi style of car industry, that it - somewhere between the UK and Australia, large cars are still sold in numbers but majority sold are hatches and mid size sedans ala Mazda 6, Honda Accord, Ford Fusion/Mondeo.
marcosambrose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2006, 04:00 PM   #34
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcosambrose
And why are the fleets dropping the Falcons and Commodores?

Fuel Efficiency.

And what counts for half of falcon's sales? Fleet.

Go Figure.
Yeh all the fleet vehicles I see are not falcons or commodores except for....

Telstra, Police, State Gov, Fed Gov, Council, actually ALL the fleet vehicles are falcs and commies.

Maybe it is the rental market, a couple of weeks ago at Tulla, choice of falc, fairlane, commie, statesman (which is what I got, what a BOAT).

Who said the fleets are going away from falcadores anyway? Some journo or is it just your personal oppinion?
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2006, 04:04 PM   #35
WILDTRAKPX2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
And why are the fleets dropping the Falcons and Commodores?

Fuel Efficiency.

And what counts for half of falcon's sales? Fleet.

Go Figure.
Totally wrong.

Yes, the BASE model Falcons and Commodore fleet sales have dropped. Because of fuel?? No.

The level of expertise among fleet managers and fleet buyers has changed/improved and they are now effectively future traders for cars. They recommend that their clients diversify their portfolio (the types of cars in their fleet) so that the fleet company doesn't get stuck with 1000 white Commodores and Falcons to sell at auction time. Used large and medium 4WDs, medium-sized cars, 6 cylinder sports such as the Falcon XR6 and luxury models are an added attraction to private buyers than just base model Falcon or Commodore.

Some more fleet sales facts:

The growth in business employees who can have any car they want provided it costs the same as the Falcon or Commodore to which they're entitled. And guess what? Fewer are opting for the base Commoders and Falcons.

The reduction in 'short-cycling'. In years gone by many company and government fleet buyers (such as local councils) would replace their cars, say, every six to nine months and then sell them back to the local dealer.

It worked well when resale values were strong but with weak resale values it's less viable, so many fleets are holding onto their cars for longer. The NSW police, for example, now runs its cars to 60,000km instead of 40,000km.

NOT fuel related.

Last edited by WILDTRAKPX2; 27-04-2006 at 04:39 PM.
WILDTRAKPX2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2006, 04:19 PM   #36
WILDTRAKPX2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
On another point - If a company isnt sustainable, it shuts down.

You guys have to think economically about Ford Australia, if its not selling enough cars it wont make a profit.
The market for small 4 cylinder fuel efficient electric/solar/air/diesels will know doubt increase if current fuel prices continue to rise, BUT as Flappist said earlier, to many (and I mean many) people who enjoy the V8 or 6T, that won't make a scrap of difference. The Performance market in Australia is extremely buoyant and Ford are recording outstanding record sales in this segment. Explain that.
Old 27-04-2006, 04:37 PM   #37
Grasshoppr
GTI ist ehrfürchtig

This new Mondeo is actually based on the global Ford platform. It was mentioned some time ago (at the launch I think) that the Iosis was an indication of the future styling cues for most Ford's world wide.

I have no doubt that our falcon, either the next model or the one after, will have some styling hints from this car - the Iosis.

To say that we will have a Mondeo as a replacement to the Falcon just because of higher fuel prices is ridiculous. They are 2 totally different market/segment to the Falcon.

Just remember that the Mondeo is the first model to begin this global platform of styling not a global styling platform inspired by the Mondeo.

Our Events cater for all types of people.
Grasshoppr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2006, 04:39 PM   #38
Redrum
Force Fed Fords

No, new falcon is not Euro sourced.
Old 27-04-2006, 04:51 PM   #39
MeestaNob!
XR5T - Sea Grey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey t
not going to happen.

falcon is deep into its development phase now. very deep.

and expect it to be a slightly bigger car than the current one, too...

on the mondeo, though, Ford Oz is under some pressure to bring it back to Australia. dunno why. do they never learn???
Can you give us a little something more to go on regarding the Falcon, something, ANYTHING! Have you seen it? Thumbs up or down? Any suprises you can at least hint at?

Re: the Mondeo, who is applying the pressure to get it here, punters or executives (and from where, US/Europe or here in Australia)?
MeestaNob! is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2006, 05:09 PM   #40
WILDTRAKPX2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

For anyone interested... read all about the landboat that is the Mondeo: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Mondeo

An amusing extract:

Some years back, Ford claimed the Mondeo was a "world car", but in a letter to Autocar Magazine in the UK, a Ford dealer retorted "What world was it designed for?"
Old 27-04-2006, 05:52 PM   #41
Gadgetman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

But how on earth can a 5.4 Kompressed V8 fit in the Mondeo engine bay???
Gadgetman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2006, 05:53 PM   #42
mickey t

well, can't say much, but the in line six will stay.

V8 is a worry to ford. i know it's loved by many here, but not by many there. realistically, it's too heavy, doesn't have enough torque where it need it and won't rev. look for changes here.

and gearboxes. and, and and.

i'd be more concerned with Ford's rampant de-contenting of the current range if i were you. take a look at a BF launch car (territory, too) and what's in it versus what's in it now. and what's gunna be in it in a year or so...
mickey t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2006, 06:58 PM   #43
MeestaNob!
XR5T - Sea Grey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey t
well, can't say much, but the in line six will stay.

V8 is a worry to ford. i know it's loved by many here, but not by many there. realistically, it's too heavy, doesn't have enough torque where it need it and won't rev. look for changes here.

and gearboxes. and, and and.

i'd be more concerned with Ford's rampant de-contenting of the current range if i were you. take a look at a BF launch car (territory, too) and what's in it versus what's in it now. and what's gunna be in it in a year or so...
And what does your magic eight ball say about the Hurricane V8? Will it fit?
MeestaNob! is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2006, 10:09 PM   #44
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iphido

The new falcon is only months away now. I would expect to see wheel base grow ~ 40mm for more interior comfort and to better compete as a all in one model (no LWB). Lighter, roomier, faster, quieter, more economical, new style outside and inside, new technology and a 5 star accident rating.

By now tooling should just about be complete. Any spy shots yet?
Only months away? Your info source must have no clue. Its a 2008 model. Scott Strong hasn't even finished the styling yet let alone a pre production mule. You wouldn't expect to see spy shots for at least another year.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2006, 10:20 PM   #45
Deadman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Maybe after the Orion model run. No chance before then.

On a side note, I noticed someone say that fleet sales accounted for half of Falcon's sales. I thought fleet sales made up more like 75% - can anyone confirm? Just curious.
Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2006, 10:43 PM   #46
INJECTED_250
Custom user title

THe DAy ford australia stop making the falcon in australia... is the day we know we are in the ... Pretty soon australia wont produce a thing.. . Its good seening mr and mrs jones buy ther new hyundai "im thinking to my self congratulations you just paid 1000 korean workers wage for a week", and just made it that little bit harder for ya kid to get a job in the future..
I carnt see the falcon getting produced any where but australia for a long time, The l6 engine still has lots of development work left in it.
INJECTED_250 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2006, 10:51 PM   #47
Falcon Freak
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by INJECTED_250
The day Ford Australia stop making the Falcon in Australia... is the day.....
....I stop buying and driving Fords!

FF
Falcon Freak is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2006, 12:13 AM   #48
tbearz

Quote:
Originally Posted by INJECTED_250
THe DAy ford australia stop making the falcon in australia... is the day we know we are in the ... Pretty soon australia wont produce a thing.. . Its good seening mr and mrs jones buy ther new hyundai "im thinking to my self congratulations you just paid 1000 korean workers wage for a week", and just made it that little bit harder for ya kid to get a job in the future..
I carnt see the falcon getting produced any where but australia for a long time, The l6 engine still has lots of development work left in it.

totally innacurrate representation of international labour rates, do your homework mate, labour rates for korean car manfacturers is actually equal to that of british worker which would be close enough to your cousin gino down at fishermens bend or wherever....
tbearz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2006, 12:33 AM   #49
FGX-351
Supercharged Mang-mobile

marcosambrose hold up for a second, take a quick time out to think about what your saying, sure fleets maybe pulling out of the big aussie sedans but as it was pointed out in a previous post in a smaller car the gains are not that much better and alot of fleet buyers probly arent car enthusiasts either. so where does that leave things? well im gonna tell ya, it leaves them to believe the 4 is better propaganda when really if you take a good long hard look at the facts it makes not that much difference and ild rather drive a big safe comfy falcon that i have fun driving then a small fwd tuna can and have no fun what so ever, even if petrol prices increase to $2 im still gonna drive my falcons, there will be curse words at the petrol pump but i love my car :eclipsee_
09/00 VX HSV XU6 Build #0001 of 0171
http://fordforums.com.au/showthread....09#post5571209
-- Best E/T: |14.982 @92.12mph | R/T:0.013 | 60' 2.213| 330: 6.283 | 1/8: 9.624 @ 73.17mph | 1000: 12.529 | 25Deg, N/A Hum, 1010mb | Willowbank Raceway 7/12/16

Tickford EL Falcon XR6 RIP
-- Factory Manual
-- Best E/T: |14.991 @ 92.71mph | R/T: 0.607 | 60': 2.215 | 660': 9.665 |13Deg, 86%H, 1024mb, 184RA @ Willowbank Raceway
FGX-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2006, 01:54 AM   #50
INJECTED_250
Custom user title

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbearz
totally innacurrate representation of international labour rates, do your homework mate, labour rates for korean car manfacturers is actually equal to that of british worker which would be close enough to your cousin gino down at fishermens bend or wherever....
THat wasnt realy the point i was making in the post, but if you gota get ya 2 cents in go for it.. couldnt realy care how much they get paid the point was it goes to making jobs in some other hole county
INJECTED_250 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post