Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 19-05-2006, 03:57 PM   #1
HP Dude
Tickford Rules!

Default Rattle on cold start-up

Hi guys,

Have noticed in the last couple of weeks that when I start my XR8 after it has been standing for a few days, that just after the engine fires, there's momentary metallic sounding rattle coming from the engine. It goes away after a second, and doesn't return on additional start-ups when the car is warm. Also, if I start the car the two days in a row (i.e when it just sits overnight), the rattle is much more quiet, or not really noticeable.

Any thoughts? All comments/suggestions appreciated

HP Dude.

1969 Ford Fairmont XW
1999 AU I Falcon XR6HP
1999 AU I Falcon XR8 (sold)
2007 Mitsubishi Evolution IX
2009 Lotus Elise S
HP Dude is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2006, 05:07 PM   #2
sbutler
335 kw of goodness

There is a thread about this very thing. But I will anwser you anyway.
Give your XR an oil & filter change, use a 10/40 oil [non synthetic]
Helix plus 10/40 is what I use in my TE50 I sure that will fix the rattle at startup. Change your oil every 8 to 10,000Ks..

2012 GTP 213 black what was I thinking? NOW FOR SALE>>
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11439680
sbutler is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2006, 05:44 PM   #3
HP Dude
Tickford Rules!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbutler
There is a thread about this very thing. But I will anwser you anyway.
Give your XR an oil & filter change, use a 10/40 oil [non synthetic]
Helix plus 10/40 is what I use in my TE50 I sure that will fix the rattle at startup. Change your oil every 8 to 10,000Ks..
Thanks, I'll give it a try.

I did a search but couldn't find that thread. Sorry for the repost.

1969 Ford Fairmont XW
1999 AU I Falcon XR6HP
2009 Lotus Elise S
Old 19-05-2006, 06:44 PM   #4
howesy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Dude
Hi guys,

Have noticed in the last couple of weeks that when I start my XR8 after it has been standing for a few days, that just after the engine fires, there's momentary metallic sounding rattle coming from the engine. It goes away after a second, and doesn't return on additional start-ups when the car is warm. Also, if I start the car the two days in a row (i.e when it just sits overnight), the rattle is much more quiet, or not really noticeable.

Any thoughts? All comments/suggestions appreciated

HP Dude.

Sounds silly I know but start it cold and while you hear the rattle spray or throw some water on the idler pulleys and belt, noise will go if culprit. If its a rattle more than a knock then this can sometimes be the culprit and new idlers are cheap as chips. Found that to be the problem also on sons EF XR8.
howesy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2006, 07:13 PM   #5
HP Dude
Tickford Rules!

Quote:
Originally Posted by howesy
Sounds silly I know but start it cold and while you hear the rattle spray or throw some water on the idler pulleys and belt, noise will go if culprit. If its a rattle more than a knock then this can sometimes be the culprit and new idlers are cheap as chips. Found that to be the problem also on sons EF XR8.
Thanks! The XR8's due for a service so if the oil and filter change doesn't work, I'll look at the idler.

1969 Ford Fairmont XW
1999 AU I Falcon XR6HP
2009 Lotus Elise S
Old 19-05-2006, 11:26 PM   #6
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Muzza had a rattle at startup - only when cold. Replaced his battery and no more noise/rattle. Turns out the old battery was probably not supplying enough power to the starter to retract the little cog from the flywheel, which was causing the rattle. At least that's our theory, anyway.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2006, 11:34 PM   #7
EBFalcs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

what are all these strange answers, everyone knows that in cold weather the oil goes thick when cold and has drained to the sump and takes a while to get pumped up to the rockers. that's all there is to it
EBFalcs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2006, 02:08 AM   #8
HP Dude
Tickford Rules!

Thanks guys, appreciate all input. The battery is an interesting suggestion, as it was recently flat due to the car being under used. Might change the battery in the course of servicing.

EBFalc's suggestion also makes perfect sense as it occurs when the car stands for days on end without being started, although we have other cars that are rarely driven, and I don't recall them making the same rattle on start-up. Anyway, as long as it is not symptomatic of a more serious (read expensive) problem, then I'm happy!

1969 Ford Fairmont XW
1999 AU I Falcon XR6HP
2009 Lotus Elise S
Old 20-05-2006, 02:23 AM   #9
jimt3te50
My kids think I'm cool

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Jim has consistently for some time now shared his life, and his passions in his XY GT and more so his FG GT in a way so everyone here feels part of the journey, which helps make AFF such a worthwhile place to be.  An outstanding contributor in my book. 

Hypeurtectic pistons can rattle on start up too, until they come up to temperature and expand......

Probably not it, but they do
2018 Ford Ranger RAPTOR
2013 Audi SQ5
jimt3te50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2006, 12:22 PM   #10
SirHenry
Falcon Unbelievable!

I had a very similar noise a metallic type rattle on start up only when cold, turned out to be the exhaust touching the sump.
SirHenry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2006, 07:15 PM   #11
You Yangs
Dunnydore Destroyer

My AU Fairmont V8 has had this sound for 4 years and 100000 kms
Tried all types of filters and oils with no difference whatsoever
I don't think its a flat battery ive replaced 2 in that time but the pulley and belt thing that howesy talks about could be it
You Yangs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2006, 05:57 PM   #12
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimt3te50
Hypeurtectic pistons can rattle on start up too, until they come up to temperature and expand......

Probably not it, but they do
Sounds like a monaro problem! LOL!

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post