Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 07-06-2006, 03:13 AM   #1
mattp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Changing woodgrain to metallic?

Hey all, anyone got any experience or ideas as to how one would go about changing the look of the woodgrain dash inserts and auto shifter surround to say a brushed aluminium look? I'm after the T series look if possible, without spending a million bucks! Obviously genuine parts are out; I know there's places around that replate etc, but I've heard they're pretty expensive too. Thoughts?

mattp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2006, 09:24 AM   #2
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

This is a longshot , but if done properlly could look ok and professional , if your after a alloy color that is ?

I have seen in most auto shops , in the spray paint section where they sell the chrome paint you can also get gold, brass and alloy color . Maybe a repaint with some of that stuff in the alloy color then a few clear coates over it after to stop it coming off.

That chrome , gold ,brass, alloy paint allways seems to have like an oily texture to it , which sorta rubs off if rubbed hard , and leaves darkened unremovable fingerprint marks on it if you don't clear coat it a few times after its dry.

:eclipsee_
XR6-VCT-2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2006, 09:28 AM   #3
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

Modicoat do it

http://www.modicoat.com/index.htm

Racecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2006, 02:13 PM   #4
mattp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I just had a look at that modicoat site, that looks awesome. I spoke to the guy as well, he said it'd be around 200 bucks to do the dash strip and the gear shifter surround. Anyone know where I might get some door spears, it'd be good to get them done too? Also, I'm still not definite, but apparently modicoat gets cheaper the more people that get it done, so if any others are keen let me know. Thanks for the advice racecraft!
mattp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2006, 03:48 PM   #5
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Did you know the woodgrain surrounds go for around $80 second hand. You would be better off selling that one, buying a standard grey one and getting the grey ohne modicoated. IIRC, Botch was after a woodgrain surround - PM him first if you want to sell yours - he may even be able to do a swap with you.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2006, 04:14 PM   #6
HLC
Audi S3

i want to get that big woodgrain dash strip around the trip computer/climate control etc, and the black plastic surrounds around the power window switches chromed but i have eff all money so thats a long way off. hopefully by the end of the year