Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 30-05-2006, 10:56 AM   #61
HOON69
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gammaboy
Best of both worlds?
You mean to big and heavy for anything dirtier than gravel roads, and nasty knobby tires and soggy suspension that make them walk around in the twisties, and a lack of straightline HP that make them average at best on the road? No thanks.

A SuperMotard (Crosser on sticky 17" sportbike rubber) would be fun if all you rode were places like Mt. Nebo, but useless for more than a couple of miles in a straight line.
so you reckon
i personally know of a few good ones on the market that are capable of hwy use and basic off road use,since when does you need a bike that can do double the speed limit and jump over tree tops?

:monkes:
HOON69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2006, 01:16 PM   #62
Gammaboy
Grinder+Welder = Race car

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOON69
since when does you need a bike that can do double the speed limit and jump over tree tops?
The correct English is "Since when DO you need"
Why? For the same reason I have anything else I own... because I can
Old 30-05-2006, 01:24 PM   #63
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Best of both worlds?
You mean to big and heavy for anything dirtier than gravel roads, and nasty knobby tires and soggy suspension that make them walk around in the twisties, and a lack of straightline HP that make them average at best on the road? No thanks.

A SuperMotard (Crosser on sticky 17" sportbike rubber) would be fun if all you rode were places like Mt. Nebo, but useless for more than a couple of miles in a straight line.

Yeah, well you set them up for what you like, my Dakar (in the pictures earlier) will do 190 or so, my mates KTM 640 does near that too. They have heaps of power for dirt, and soak anything up you can hit, sure are a little heavier than pure dirt bikes, (KTM 640 is only 150kg, BMW is 165 or so(I lost near 10kg with an exhaust swap!). You can go down most single lane dirt tracks anything could, just a bit slower. On the road they are fine too. Sure is enough power for fun riding, and I dont mind the handling either. getting near 300kmh isnt really that useful that often!

One of the best things about them, is that you can go travelling for thousands of km in the outback and be comfortable, can take all your gear, and its no problem to sit on 150kmh or whatever along dirt roads all day. They go anywhere.
Are adjustable so you have it doing what you want, ie, just change oil thickness in forks for less bouncy travel, theres an adjustable rear shocker, adjustable ride heights, you can put DIFFERENT rubber on! I have Michelen desert tyres cos thats what I like, you of course can put more 50 50 tyres on, or road tyres.

hmm,, Im going for a ride right now. Just love the sound of a straight through exhaust 650 single cylinder!!(dont know about the neighbours!)
EDManual is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2006, 01:57 PM   #64
TotalDriver
Dedicated to Safety....

Why don't you ask this guy, he can help with your decision

Cheers,
Old 30-05-2006, 02:05 PM   #65
OLDFORDNUT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

ok ok thats enough now i feel the need to get another bike,crikies you blokes stir up the feeling of being lost without a bike, but having gotten old (44) i cant ride sports bikes anymore as my back and wrists ache too much,maybe a good road trail or even an old K1 Honda again i dont know .But what i do know is if never being on a bike before you really need to do a rider training course as they are invaluable for safety reasons ,
you have to be very aware of the road and drivers so trying to learn to ride and keeping alert are not good combinations, do a course that are in every state.
OLDFORDNUT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2006, 02:19 PM   #66
HOON69
Banned

Quote:
The correct English is "Since when DO you need"
Why? For the same reason I have anything else I own... because I can
omg one word,omg omg omg
:

still stand corrected on the whole,speed limit and tree statement i see ;)

want a fast bike go to willowbank

want a dirt bike go to black duck etc

want the best of both and go crosscountry./road go every where

point proven case closed,thanks for coming Mr English teacher
have a nice day.
HOON69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2006, 02:26 PM   #67
GreenMachine
Mopar/No Car

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Sensational write up about drum brakes. 

Sadly, the modern motorcycle has no windows to lick...

'72 Plymouth Scamp
'80 Courier
'13 Kawasaki ZX14-R
'13 Berlina
'92 Suzuki DR650

If you don't fight - You lose
GreenMachine is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2006, 02:33 PM   #68
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by TotalDriver
Why don't you ask this guy, he can help with your decision

Cheers,
hahaha . at 80kg i'm about the size of that guys leg. :
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2006, 02:34 PM   #69
klawsterfobik
Bad Music and Litre Bikes

i think bikes a great, riding has made me a lot more alert of my surroundings both when im riding or driving.

I try and ride to work atleast twice a week, I rode to work this morning when it was 1.5C, it was chilly yes, but still nice. That was until i came off when i hit some ice going around a round about. Yes i was going slow, but i plain didnt see it.

Getting out in the country, finding some nice twisting roads on a bike is like nothing else on 4 wheels. Go for it, but be careful.
Anyway. Enough reality, back to the topic.
klawsterfobik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2006, 04:58 PM   #70
Gammaboy
Grinder+Welder = Race car

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOON69
omg one word,omg omg omg
:

still stand corrected on the whole,speed limit and tree statement i see ;)

want a fast bike go to willowbank

want a dirt bike go to black duck etc

want the best of both and go crosscountry./road go every where

point proven case closed,thanks for coming Mr English teacher
have a nice day.
I'm not quite sure what point you're trying to prove? And what case is Closed?

If by "go to Willowbank" you mean drag racing, then you've missed the whole point of sports bikes.
I spose anything would feel faster than an eseries wagon full of kids, but to me the majority of those big Dual purpose bikes are much like a modern landcruiser, sure, they can be run offroad and onroad, but they're so massively compromised that they're not particularly good at either...

I like light fast nimble bikes, particularly two stroke sports bikes. Despite its small size and light weight, my RG500 is a pretty good sports tourer when you need it to be (even has a 22litre tank!). At 6'2" and 90ish kg its even comfortable for sustained highway speeds.
Some of the best rides i've ever had were flogging the guts out of a Cagiva Mito 125 with a mighty 33 hp, but razor sharp handling, which pinpoints my main gripe with the big DP bikes, they're just too top heavy and floaty, and the riding position is too upright for highway work. The old Katana I had was great for long trip type stuff, none of the vibes of a big single and effortless power....

I'd rather a 2nd hand Cagiva Mito, a 2nd hand crosser and a mid 80's GPZ or GSX for the same money as one brand new big old compromise.

Two Strokes:
If it ain't smoken its broken.
Old 30-05-2006, 05:36 PM   #71
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm bored....Insert gratuitous picture of my daily commuter:

1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2006, 10:01 PM   #72
nothin' so gr8
Please Mum, I want a Ford

I've been riding for about 8 years, on and off. Grew up on the back of a bike and decided to take the plunge and get my own license late-20's. I consider myself to be reasonably sensible and mechanically very capable...
I started on a 250 Ninja and was terrified on my first ride, maxing at a sedate 40k's in my local streets!! Within a month it was my transport to work every second week, rain hail or shine.
My second (and most recent) bike was a GSX750 Slingshot. More balls than anything I'd ever ridden before (wink wink!). I sold it when I became pregnant with my son.
I'm now looking to buy another bike, but am determined to keep the power down... I've got a hair-trigger for adrenalin at times and I've got littlies to think about.

It's all been said - it's a dangerous pastime for a lot of reasons, but nothing compares. Know that the culture amongst all riders (bikers and bikies alike) is that as a learner you'll be given all the room you need to get your confidence and you can take your time, setting the stages to suit yourself. I went on a full day ride recently with a pack of absolute idiots (skilled riders, for sure, but still lunatics!). With them was a guy who was on his first group road ride, having ridden trail bikes for years but only new to his road bike. At every key point in the ride they all stopped, waited for him to catch up, and cheered him on.

Good luck - go for it!! If you're looking to fight boredom that's the way to do it alright!
nothin' so gr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2006, 09:11 AM   #73
GreenMachine
Mopar/No Car

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Sensational write up about drum brakes. 

Looking at getting back on a bike when the EB sells (hint: Buy my EB!)... Was thinking something along the lines of:

$8k on road, brand new bike, designed in the 40's, made by 5 year olds chained to torque wrenches in India...

'72 Plymouth Scamp
'80 Courier
'13 Kawasaki ZX14-R
'13 Berlina
'92 Suzuki DR650

If you don't fight - You lose
GreenMachine is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2006, 10:19 AM   #74
gunslinger

I would highly recommend it to anyone, not only for the adrenaline rush, freedom and fuel savings but also for the different view it gives you of the road.
However, you also need to ask yourself: Do I have the restraint to keep myself safe?
In my case it was no and I paid the price, only a small price but my hand will never be the same and the scars will only fade so much.
I got cocky, riding to and from work day in and day out I got complacent and overtook a van turning with a late indicator.
All the stuff the others have said is good advice.
Go get your license, if you dont buy a bike afterwards, so what? its only a couple hundred bucks and worth it anyway.
Do I have a bike now? No, because I cant guarantee that I can keep myself in check.
Will I have one in the future? Yes, when I can afford to be a fair weather rider.

And yes, I do count myself lucky.

Stay safe.

JB
gunslinger is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2006, 12:05 PM   #75
PH47
Ford Power, in a Merc?

Quote:
You left out the bit about dressing like the village people....
..and needing to be a mechanic just to get through daily rides ;)
PH47 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2006, 12:42 PM   #76
pennybrain
Heart of Blue

I ride a YZ 125 and love it to bits. I only ever ride off road and it is unreal.

I am a bit scared of riding on the road. I go pretty hard on my dirt bike and I have the theory that there are 2 speeds - Flat out or stopped so I don't think I would trust myself or other cars if I were to go on the road.

I still think I am going to get my bike license and do the stay upright course as it is apparently a really good way to learn a few tricks of the trade no matter what type of bike you are riding.

I recommend getting a bike as it is fun, terrifying, exciting and adrenalin pumping all at the same time!

Protective gear is also not something to cheap out on. Like I did with elbow pads and I came off and the elbow pad fell off my arm and I lost half the skin on my elbow to a steep grassy slope.
pennybrain is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2006, 01:25 PM   #77
Neeek
65 Galaxie Hardtop

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMachine
Was thinking something along the lines of:

You know you HAVE to buy that now. Only because I want to touch it.

My view on motorcycles is that I will always want another one but will never have another one. Not since my KR1-S high-sided and threw me through a hedge backwards back in about 1993...

The trouble with bikes, and it's a small but important point, is that they dramatically increase the chances of you accidentally killing yourself. Especially if you're like me and you know you'd cane the hell out of it if you were ever so foolish as to slip your leg over one.

Maybe I'd trust myself in a few years... here's hoping.

Neeek is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2006, 02:52 PM   #78
gtfpv
GT

interesting indeed . sounds like the majority of people here blame them selves for coming off the bike , something car drivers never do.
it appears its the moment you forget what your doing ( something car drivers do at least 50% of the time ) on a bike its this brief moment that accidents appear to happen . and the rider blames himself/ herself. cheers . i guess thats inspiring to some degree. i just love the thought of getting a bike . i guess i'll start ;looking at a few more bike shops.
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2006, 06:22 PM   #79
Wokkas
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger
I would highly recommend it to anyone, not only for the adrenaline rush, freedom and fuel savings but also for the different view it gives you of the road.

Yeeeeeaaah, "fuel savings" depends largely on the type of bike. It used to cost me more in fuel to ride my VTR to work than it did to drive my XR8. I could easily empty the 19L tank in less than 100ks. But that MIGHT have had something to do with the way I rode

Picture time.

Wokkas is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2006, 01:06 PM   #80
cj429
Starter Motor

Don't give yourself too much credit, VTR's were always going to give you poor fuel economy and get carved up by every 600 out there. Get a modern 1000, lay big darkies with your knee on the ground and then tell me your worried about fuel economy. Any fool can put the boot into their car and think they drive like Senna.
cj429 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2006, 01:27 PM   #81
dansedgli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ive had my licence for a bit over 2 years and ridden to work everyday except for about 30 days max where the bike was either broken or it was ****ing down rain before leaving home. I dont mind riding home in the rain but getting wet on the way to work sucks.

Ive got a CBR 250 and get about 200kms to about $12. Its way cheaper than getting public transport and I dont have to wait around for trains or sit next to losers on the train packed like sardines.

Ive crashed once on the road at about 80km/hr. A car cut in front of me and as I turned my head to do a headcheck so I could go around her she slammed on her brakes. :( I hit her rear right hand side, the bike slid down the road and I went under her bumper bending her exhaust down and slid down beside her car.

It was a bit scary at the time. My face slid across the concrete and I watched my bike slide away from me.

I didnt get any major injuries. I bruised my shoulder and hip where I fell and my knee got grazed up pretty bad. I couldnt lift my shoulder and walked with a limp for a week.

I still ride everyday. Im just a bit more careful now.

I cant wait to get off my restrictions so I can get a bigger bike. Im torn between a SV1000s or a sports 600 or 750.
Old 08-06-2006, 01:36 PM   #82
dansedgli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

On a side note.

Is it feasible to get a motard and use it for both road and off road use?

Would it only require a change of wheels and sprockets to make it good for the dirt?

I wouldnt mind something I can take off road but I dont really want 2 bikes.
Old 08-06-2006, 05:36 PM   #83
herbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansedgli
On a side note.

Is it feasible to get a motard and use it for both road and off road use?

Would it only require a change of wheels and sprockets to make it good for the dirt?

I wouldnt mind something I can take off road but I dont really want 2 bikes.
Yep, get a set of motard wheels and you're almost set, there might be a few other mods required, depending on the bike. I've seen a Husaberg 550 set up so it could be changed from enduro to motard mode in an hour, or vice versa. :
herbs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2006, 05:47 PM   #84
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Dan you could set the spring pre load for you're weight, then give it a few extra clicks of compression damping for better cornering on the road, i think a bigger front disc and higher gearing (sprockets) would be preferable for road use as well.
Falcon Coupe is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post