Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 07-06-2006, 07:13 PM   #1
turboute
turboute

Default Anyone been to the Auctions lately?

Hi guys,

I am starting to consider getting a new (read - secondhand) car, I was thinking about going to the auctions and seeing what was availible.

The two cars that I have had on my mind were either
1. AU II / III XR6 VCT (if I can find one) these are selling at dealers for about 15k
2. BA XT falcon (maybe a fairmont if at the right price) these are also about 15k at dealers

Has anyone seen how much these / anything similar have been going for at auction? And would it be worth getting the XR6 over the XT (assuming similar km's) considering I would get alloys/LSD?suspension upgrades etc.

Has anyone seen how much either of these cars

BTW if anyone is selling something similar in WA wants to PM me - Please do

turboute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2006, 08:24 PM   #2
clontarf_x
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Haha funny you should mention it, I am just retrieving my AU III XR6 VCT ST from it's holding position atm. Just missed out
clontarf_x is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2006, 10:10 PM   #3
Zed7fiddy
Temporary Australian

Dyam, im watching this topic with care, im looking for the same cars same prce bracket, but am startign to consider a 4runner or wrangler as well
Zed7fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2006, 10:23 PM   #4
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

Have a look at the Pickles auctions site. If you look at the listings, SOME of them will have a fixed price listed. Gives you a rough idea of what to expect.

I got my car at Pickles, and 18 months later it's STILL worth more than what I paid for it.
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford
Feathers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2006, 11:19 PM   #5
Kryton

i was at Pickles just yesterday. XTs with 40-50000km were selling for around $10-11000.
a 2000 AU Futura with 165000km went for $3700 as well.
i missed out seeing what the turbos/GT-P and Pursuits were going for but i would say it was cheap.
there was a 2001 Porsche Boxster there that went for $44000.
i knew that cars were cheap at the auctions but even i was amazed at what the prices were.
you may also be interested in knowing that all fixed price cars at pickles will be sold by auction on each tuesday if they havent been bought.
one that took my attention was a 2006 WRX, 2 months old, 3000km, stolen/recovered (ONLY missing the front seats) sold for $15000. go check out what they cost NEW (which this one was basically still).
we bought a car on fixed price yesterday and will be going back to collect it on friday. its not a Ford but its a 2000 model with only 85000km....and its an ex ambulance car with all the emergency service equipment (same as the police pack).
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2006, 12:01 AM   #6
fordy-two
Starter Motor

I recently went looking for a second car and went to Pickles and Fowles. $15k sounds good for the right AU3 XR6 but $15k sounds way too dear for a BA XT unless it is an 04 model.

I found a lot of the AU XR6 seats look very sad very quickly. The side bolster is a bad design and has crap foam that looks flattened very quickly. BA has same kw's as XR6 and is dual VCT ! I know, I know, not as much torque, not as much fun.

BA's in unpopular colours were $1000 cheaper for the same car.

You can buy a "what people paid" guide from pickles, or register to view an auction online at no cost. There is a South Australian govt auction site that lists prices of sold cars and cars for sale.

I found the price listed "for sale" was often up to $2k+ over what they sold for on auction day. At every auction there were always 2 bargains, no more, no less, you just had to be ready, they just happened out of the blue for no reason !

Not many VCT's, a few XR8's. I saw an AU3 XR6 go for $13,800 online but I don't know what nick it was in. I bid on a prime AU3 non VCT XR6 with 90000k's but it was passed in at $13.5k and back the next week. Don't know the reserve, I think about $15k. They usually do drop the reserve if it doesn't sell for a few weeks, but not always - saw the same Berlina for 5 weeks, each time the bids got lower !

XT's can be damn cheap, especially for anything 2002 or over 100k's. Would you believe a $9,200 for an ex govt with books 2002 Acid Rush XT with 160,000 km's in VGC ? The cheapest XT I saw, worth a chance at that money. 2002 Lightning strike Futura 100k's with books for $12,100 (one of the 2 bargains that day I missed ! Missing this one hurt, I had it listed as too dear to bid on so wasn't paying attention) .

some eg's from around April this year, ex telstra & govt cars:

02/03 BA Futura 42000 kms sold 14,200
10/04 BA2 Futura with side airbags sold 17,800
04/04 BA Fairmont 24,000 kms sold 18,800
02/03 BA Fairmont Ghia 98,000 kms, little rough, sold 17,700
02/03 BA Fairmont 85,000 km sold 16,000
01/03 BA XT 103,000 kms sold 12,400 ice mint colour (excellent condition, should have bought it)
03/03 BA XT 103,000 kms sold 12,900 ice mint colour(missed this one too ! And I like ice mint !)
04/03 BA XT 60000 kms sold 13,500
04/03 BA XT 60,000kms sold 13,500
11/03 BA XT 57,000 km sold 13,750 lightning strike
03/04 BA XT 41,000 kms sold 14,500
06/04 BA XT 66,000 kms sold 14,500
08/04 BA XT 51000 kms sold 14,300 Blue Pearl
08/04 BA XT 51,000 kms sold 14,300
11/03 BA XT 51000 kms sold 13,750
11/03 BA XR6 42,000 kms passed in $23,000 - will never sell at this price ! Cheapest I saw was 18,500 for a purple one. Don't know if it sold at that price. Most were $21k or more.

trouble is big crowds of people happy to save $1000 off car yard prices. I want to save at least $2000. I reckon you could get a 2002 BA XT with under 100,000 kms for around 12,500 with a little effort, once again depending on the crowds and car colour.

Fowles govt cars are usually dearer but the cars are much nicer, but you won't find many 2002 or higher km models. People bidding at Fowles also bid to ridiculous levels, often past car yard prices.

Fowles repo & lease are cheaper than Pickles govt cars and in good condition.

Pickles repo are cheapest ! Up to $2k cheaper than the prices above, but less choice and often no books. But I could have got a schmick 2000 AU2 model XR8, Red with service history and only 90,000 km's in very very good condition (even the drivers seat !) for $18,500. Instead, somehow I ended up with a (eghad !!!) 10/03 77,000 km TL Magna wagon for $12,000. How the hell did that happen ?!!! I still hear that V8 rumble in my dreams...Be careful what you bid on my boy 'cos you might just get it !

Make sure you go in a day previous and check the books. You can even sit in them and start them up, just not drive them.

Most importantly, unless you go XR6, Futura or Fairmont, factor in to bid more for cars with mags if you are going to want them. A cheaper XT with no mags could end up dearer than a Futura after you buy the mags.

good Luck.
fordy-two is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2006, 12:05 AM   #7
fordy-two
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by davway
i was at Pickles just yesterday. XTs with 40-50000km were selling for around $10-11000.
looks like prices have dropped dramatically ! Sure this wasn't the passed in price ? Was this for ex government cars ?

They usually do drop just before the end of the financial year as fleets update. good time to buy, I may have to update my other car...

My Pickles was the tullamarine one.
Old 08-06-2006, 12:17 AM   #8
fordy-two
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Co8ra
Dyam, im watching this topic with care, im looking for the same cars same prce bracket, but am startign to consider a 4runner or wrangler as well
Wasn't looking for a 4wd but when I walked by the Fowles Melbourne auctions seemed very cheap for 2003/2004 Prado's, Land cruisers etc. Don't remember the prices, just remember thinking that they seemed very cheap for what was on offer... I'm guessing low to mid 20's ?
Old 08-06-2006, 01:27 AM   #9
Kryton

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordy-two
looks like prices have dropped dramatically ! Sure this wasn't the passed in price ? Was this for ex government cars ?

They usually do drop just before the end of the financial year as fleets update. good time to buy, I may have to update my other car...

My Pickles was the tullamarine one.
no this wasnt the passed in price, this was the SOLD price. alot were ex gov, some repos. it was Tullamarine too.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2006, 11:50 AM   #10
Iphido
Guy that posts stuff

Going out to the auctions this weekend in sydney.

Girl friend needs a new car. Looking at:
- single cab utes
- any weird sort of car
- older BMW

A few 90's BMW's, a Subaru SVX, and there are heaps of utes (hilux/rodeos etc).. Even thinking about a prius 2001.

I got a feeling I might get a car if I see something I like at a good price.

Has to be <$10k with a target of $8k.. Puts most newer ex government out of reach.. too bad, lots of bargins.
Iphido is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2006, 01:06 PM   #11
turboute
turboute

Just looked at the pickles auction site - you guys over in Melbourne / sydney get alot more choice than us here in perth - we dont even have a repo'd vehicle section (damn).

Hey Iphido, can you give us a report on how it goes (av prices that cars are going for)?
Would really appreciate it.
turboute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2006, 07:13 PM   #12
Falchoon

Quote:

11/03 BA XR6 42,000 kms passed in $23,000 - will never sell at this price ! Cheapest I saw was 18,500 for a purple one. Don't know if it sold at that price. Most were $21k or more.
$23K is the price you would expect to see a XR6T go for at auction, seen some go privately for ~$25K. Adam sold his 9 sec XR6T for ~$30K, hate to think how much he'd spent on it!

Quote:

Most importantly, unless you go XR6, Futura or Fairmont, factor in to bid more for cars with mags if you are going to want them. A cheaper XT with no mags could end up dearer than a Futura after you buy the mags.

good Luck.
Wouldn't want to pay more than $500 more for a car with mags, plenty of BA XR 17s around for that sort of money on forums like this or eBay (check newspaper and Trading Post as well). Obviously you will pay a lot more for mags if you buy them new.

Good review of pricing and models available.
Falchoon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2006, 08:58 AM   #13
AC/DC
" Let there be Rock "

You guys obviously get cars much cheaper in southern states.. In Nth Queensland, I paid $15k for a perfect 03 BA with about 45000k. From the Govt Auctions.

This was about Oct last year, , when in car yards they were 19000 - 20000.

I cant believe how much people lose on these cars ( well its our taxes ).. These are bought for $34000 new, then sold at a $20 000 loss in about 20 months...

Amazing, , but a good deal for us ! . I am just about to go back and get a Camry / Magna for the wifes car !

AC/DC
AC/DC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post