Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 16-06-2006, 05:25 PM   #1
STK-XR8

Default motorcraft carbie problems

need help plzzzzzzzz
xc 302 plenty of spark ,fuel ,timing set and cranks but wont fire up.
me thinkin too much fuel or any other ideas
where are the adjusting screws for the floats on the motorcraft carbies.

this motor was running 1 week ago now above happens when people wont to buy it running.

: :

thanks den

STK-XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2006, 06:03 PM   #2
banarcus
hmm eyebrows

What's a Carb????????? Seriously try spraying in some aerostart or start ya bastard and then turn over, at least this will let you know if it's a fuel problem. Don't spray in when turning over as you may blow yourself up.
Old 16-06-2006, 08:45 PM   #3
Mutley

Sounds like a crook coil?
Mutley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2006, 10:15 AM   #4
aquahead2001
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I thought that XC V8's had Carter Thermoquads on them as did XD/XE? How long has the motor been sitting without going? If it's a long time (12 months plus?) you may have some stuck valves. The left bank on Clevelands would do this on occasion.

I bought an XD writeoff back in 1987 and for the life of me couldn't get the thing to run. I ended up ringing my uncle who was a just retired Ford Product Engineering Motor Technician and within 15 minutes of him arriving, he had the thing going.

I can't remember which valves, but there were a lot siezed on the left bank. He said that it was a common problem with clevelands and one that they would always look for first.

We ended up having a few bent pushrods, a valve guide that had broken off (motor was a ford rebuilt that had new pushed-in valve guides.) and about a gallon of petrol in the sump... Check your oil if you've been pouring petrol down the carb!

If you have spark, fuel there is only one other thing to look for, compression...
aquahead2001 is offline   Reply With Quote