Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 14-06-2006, 02:25 PM   #61
blutura
ZX-6R & Falcon pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iphido
BF got new front bumpers, new alloys, new colours, fog lights and chrome for ghia, new rear lights, some interior changes too....

did BF get new taillights? I thought they were exactly the same as BA's.
Pics anyone?

You can only have two.
blutura is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2006, 02:39 PM   #62
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blutura
did BF get new taillights? I thought they were exactly the same as BA's.
The BF rear lights are clear (and fantastic IMO) while the BA rear lights have lines thru it. Kinda like the VT to VX change that Holden made.
vztrt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2006, 05:31 PM   #63
Iphido
Guy that posts stuff

Although Ford has offically told me back when BA first came out. No Fairmont Ghia turbo, they then went and made the Territory Ghia Turbo. At which point everyone gave them thumbs up and said DO IT.

Given the turbo engine will migrate to the territory in two diffrent specs, I can't see a real reason why they won't make a Fairmont Ghia turbo. Given the 6 speed will start showing up in the rest of the lineup as will DSC the Ghia needs some spices, there are some good reasons to make a Ghia turbo.

My Prediction for Fairmont Ghia turbo:
-245Kw 470nm
-6 speed auto only
-Possibly no LSD (no cluncks but lesser performance than XR6t)
-Territory brakes
-Black centre console ala Territory Ghia turbo and Fairlane

Like you I sure hope they do. It would be nice to see Ford do something exciting other than make the loud big wing/body kitted XR models.
Iphido is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2006, 07:40 PM   #64
Iphido
Guy that posts stuff

DTI seem to be Ion II.. Same managers same factory, same gearbox.

The web site states they make 4 speed, 5 speed, 6 speed and 7 speed gearboxes (6/7 look like early computer models esp 7 speed).

They also have a hybrid gearbox with a electric motor instead of a torque converter.
http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum...ad.php?t=25275

Possibly for a LPG falcon? LPG hybrid?
Old 14-06-2006, 10:45 PM   #65
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ford don't necessarily have to apply the ZF A6 across the range as there are other gearboxes available from within :. Maybe also of interest to some, on the Territory forum it was stated that the over-the-counter spare parts price for the ZF and latest BF A4 are very close approx $7000+. Now, obviously this doesn't mean the cost price is the same for both as I would be staggered if the ZF wasn't at least several hundred dollars more expensive, yet this doesn't guarantee that Ford will make the ZF standard across the whole range. I guess when the supply contract from Ion runs out we should be at the release of Orion and we'll see what eventuates.

Edit: Thanks to Iphido's link it states that the new A6 from the "old" ion is rated at 400nm which is too fine a margin for the Falcon I6 (and who knows where Orion's I6 output might be) so I'd guess Ion won't be supplying this box to Ford for the Falcon.
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2006, 12:06 AM   #66
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Smith
Ford don't necessarily have to apply the ZF A6 across the range as there are other gearboxes available from within :. Maybe also of interest to some, on the Territory forum it was stated that the over-the-counter spare parts price for the ZF and latest BF A4 are very close approx $7000+. Now, obviously this doesn't mean the cost price is the same for both as I would be staggered if the ZF wasn't at least several hundred dollars more expensive, yet this doesn't guarantee that Ford will make the ZF standard across the whole range. I guess when the supply contract from Ion runs out we should be at the release of Orion and we'll see what eventuates.

Edit: Thanks to Iphido's link it states that the new A6 from the "old" ion is rated at 400nm which is too fine a margin for the Falcon I6 (and who knows where Orion's I6 output might be) so I'd guess Ion won't be supplying this box to Ford for the Falcon.
Dont expect the I6 to be across the range for BFII or Orion.
Old 15-06-2006, 12:35 AM   #67
FGX-351
Supercharged Mang-mobile

Carpoint stated that they will be releasing info today on possible the bf mk2, I keep refreshing the page but it doesnt seem like it's going to be added tonight:(
09/00 VX HSV XU6 Build #0001 of 0171
http://fordforums.com.au/showthread....09#post5571209
-- Best E/T: |14.982 @92.12mph | R/T:0.013 | 60' 2.213| 330: 6.283 | 1/8: 9.624 @ 73.17mph | 1000: 12.529 | 25Deg, N/A Hum, 1010mb | Willowbank Raceway 7/12/16

Tickford EL Falcon XR6 RIP
-- Factory Manual
-- Best E/T: |14.991 @ 92.71mph | R/T: 0.607 | 60': 2.215 | 660': 9.665 |13Deg, 86%H, 1024mb, 184RA @ Willowbank Raceway
FGX-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2006, 08:14 AM   #68
The Stylist
Automotive Designer

Nothing new - yet.

So far Carpoint has only shown what we already know: BFII later this year and the Orion in 2008, although they did chuck in a picture of the Iosis concept car.
The Stylist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2006, 08:53 AM   #69
banarcus
hmm eyebrows

Its up, and just a story with a pic of a iosis concept, nothing that hasn't already been mentioned here anyway. Sorry to dissapoint.
Carpoint
Old 15-06-2006, 09:23 AM   #70
freaky

yeah, dissapointing.

we already know at some stage there will be a BFII.
freaky is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2006, 11:06 AM   #71
5.4 GT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

what a let down...
2011 Audi A4 2.7 TDI - gone
2012 Audi A5 3.0 Quattro Coupe - gone
2007 FPV GT - gone
1996 EFII Fairmont Ghia - gone
5.4 GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2006, 11:37 AM   #72
Polyal
The 'Stihl' Man
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveO_SP
what a let down...
thats carpoint!
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2006, 03:26 PM   #73
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
Err, are you implying that the Falcon Inline 6 (I6) won't be across the whole Falcon range for BFII or did you think I was referring to Ion 6 speed when I wrote I6? We already know BFII can't be all A6 as Ford have a contract for supply up until Orion is released, unless they were the company that the old Ion managers claimed has extended a contract. Ssangyong(?) could have been the one instead (lets hope!)
Old 15-06-2006, 04:04 PM   #74
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Quote:
Quote:
Err, are you implying that the Falcon Inline 6 (I6) won't be across the whole Falcon range for BFII or did you think I was referring to Ion 6 speed when I wrote I6? We already know BFII can't be all A6 as Ford have a contract for supply up until Orion is released, unless they were the company that the old Ion managers claimed has extended a contract. Ssangyong(?) could have been the one instead (lets hope!)
Thanks for pulling me up on that, I been out of it being sick.

I meant the the 6sp auto and not the I6. That'll be there for years to come.
Old 15-06-2006, 04:15 PM   #75
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

On the topic of fuel consumption, I couldnt be happier with my BF XR8 manual. But my driving conditions might be alot differnt to city folk. My average is 11.9 litres / 100. I only use BP ultimate or Caltex vortex. My drive to work does not have any traffic light and the speeds are 100 + on the highway. Distance to work is 27k. The car rarely gets driven around town. My wifes fiesta usually does this work. So if ford improves on this they will have done very well indeed, IMHO.
Outbackjack is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2006, 04:57 PM   #76
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Thanks for pulling me up on that, I been out of it being sick.

I meant the the 6sp auto and not the I6. That'll be there for years to come.
No probs, I guess as you inferred something will replace the Ion A4 while the ZF stays the premium box...would be great if the exchange rate worked in our favour so that the ZF became the cheaper option.

Last edited by Dr Smith; 15-06-2006 at 05:37 PM.
Old 15-06-2006, 06:42 PM   #77
Iphido
Guy that posts stuff

I belive DTI new 6 speed is rated at over 400nm its just the hybrid electric version thats rated at 400nm.

They aren't targeting the locals tho, they are targeting asia. Ford will no doubt want DTI to sign another automanufacturer before agreeing to go in on the new 6 speed. Other wise Ford has to prop up the new BTR/Ion just like it had to before and we end up with a gearbox with no development dollars.

I would belive that the new 6 and 7 speeds would be targeted at premium markets, and 400nm wouldn't be enough, Hyundia has a 3.8L V6, there are diesels, etc. China beckons.
Old 15-06-2006, 06:49 PM   #78
Iphido
Guy that posts stuff

I belive DTI new 6 speed is rated at over 400nm its just the hybrid electric version thats rated at 400nm.

They aren't targeting the locals tho, they are targeting asia. Ford will no doubt want DTI to sign another automanufacturer before agreeing to go in on the new 6 speed. Other wise Ford has to prop up the new BTR/Ion just like it had to before and we end up with a gearbox with no development dollars and a dead end company. Australia has moved on from that so this new DTI must have a more global outlook.

I would belive that the new 6 and 7 speeds would be targeted at premium markets, and 400nm wouldn't be enough, Hyundia has a 3.8L V6, there are diesels, etc. China beckons.

The ZF ford oz uses are built in the USA. given that the VE doesn't even get a 5 speed in base models I think we won't see it across the board yet. Ford has 4/5 speed auto's it could source from the USA if needed at possibly cheaper rates.

Carpoints story was a whole lot of twaddle. It speaks very little, but then again I guess its suppose to report facts and press releases not wild forum speculation even if it is accurate.
Old 15-06-2006, 07:39 PM   #79
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Quote:
No probs, I guess as you inferred something will replace the Ion A4 while the ZF stays the premium box...would be great if the exchange rate worked in our favour so that the ZF became the cheaper option.
Yeah the 6sp will be the premium, but the 4sp will be gone (sorta) when Orion rears its head.
Old 16-06-2006, 01:11 PM   #80
charles_wif_xf
Purveyor of filth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iphido

The ZF ford oz uses are built in the USA. given that the VE doesn't even get a 5 speed in base models I think we won't see it across the board yet. Ford has 4/5 speed auto's it could source from the USA if needed at possibly cheaper rates.
I think the ZF's are German designed and built, correct me if I am wrong.
charles_wif_xf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2006, 10:03 PM   #81
DODDO
Can man

My old mans got a BF futura, just a stocker. We got it in april, in its first month it travelled 6500km.
I drove from Campbelltown (southern sydney) to Yass (Southern tablelands N.S.W) in 2 1/4 hours sitting on 115 kph, averageing, on regular shell unleaded 8.4 litres 100km. BUT, on the way back, on the same fuel and speed, averaged 7.4 litres 100km.
Before this new car we had a BA Futura and doing the same trip we would be lucky to get 9.0 litres 100km.
A huge difference in economy and power. Its a fantastic car. Its now got 13000k on the clock and hasnt skipped a beat.
Ive had one up on the hoist at work. Theyve done a couple of changes visibly. The transmission cooler is no longer integrated with the radiator, its a seperate unit around 200mm long and 100mm high, made from aluminum bolted onto the side of the sump. Its made by KTM, i believe this is the samr manufacturer that makes KTM motorbikes.
Theyve also added another exhaust temp sensor AFTER the catalytic converter aswell as another muffler.
If anyones looking to buy a BF, its been a great car to us so far.
Old 16-06-2006, 10:10 PM   #82
MoreHPformyXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DODDOAU
My old mans got a BF futura, just a stocker. We got it in april, in its first month it travelled 6500km.
I drove from Campbelltown (southern sydney) to Yass (Southern tablelands N.S.W) in 2 1/4 hours sitting on 115 kph, averageing, on regular shell unleaded 8.4 litres 100km. BUT, on the way back, on the same fuel and speed, averaged 7.4 litres 100km.
Before this new car we had a BA Futura and doing the same trip we would be lucky to get 9.0 litres 100km.
A huge difference in economy and power. Its a fantastic car. Its now got 13000k on the clock and hasnt skipped a beat.
Ive had one up on the hoist at work. Theyve done a couple of changes visibly. The transmission cooler is no longer integrated with the radiator, its a seperate unit around 200mm long and 100mm high, made from aluminum bolted onto the side of the sump. Its made by KTM, i believe this is the samr manufacturer that makes KTM motorbikes.
Theyve also added another exhaust temp sensor AFTER the catalytic converter aswell as another muffler.
If anyones looking to buy a BF, its been a great car to us so far.
The BF Futura is that a ZF 6 speed auto?

BA XR6 Mk II Shockwave Sedan - Now Sold - gone but not forgotten

mods: 20% under drive, Pacemaker Comps 4495' (ceramic coated) , 3' Metal Cat, XR6T exhaust - twin 3' tips, F6 CAI, K&N panel filter, PWR trans cooler, customed tuned by Heinrich Performance Tuning HPT 183.7rwkw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATMO SIX
You have become the new SLOANY mate, no real quality to your current post(s).
MoreHPformyXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2006, 10:28 PM   #83
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreHPformyXR6
The BF Futura is that a ZF 6 speed auto?
Can't be, they aren't available with the 6 speed, but they also get the new trans cooler.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2006, 01:16 PM   #84
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DODDOAU
I believe that the VCT changes that were made from the barra 182 to the 190 would give the BF this advantage.
Old 17-06-2006, 03:25 PM   #85
Iphido
Guy that posts stuff

Higher compression ratio and VCT and second knock sensor changes improved actual engine economy a lot. Mostly in the highway cycle.

Going to BF the LPG engines actually lost compression and have worse fuel consumption than LPG BA.

But on all other models fuel consumption has been greatly improved.