Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 16-06-2006, 11:11 AM   #31
LUXO_8
windsor user

not going into this much and im not having a shot at anyone....
parts for chryslers are dear they always have been.....
300C headlights are 2500 each.....
and the plastic radiator suport is 1500......

looking back, the jeep cherokee headlights were around 1500

jeep warangler have a hella beam (which is available over the counter at bursons or similarfor about 80) but chrysler spares wanted around 350 each.

i wouldnt be too worried about that though..... it would however reflect in insurance premuims for them id imagine....
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2006, 11:58 AM   #32
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A couple of points... Car tastes have definately changed -EVERYBODY used to talk about HSVs and wanting one - the HSV website used to be one of the most visited websites, I doubt that is even nearly the case anymore.

I think the Chrysler has something the HSV lacks, and it's not just the 6.1L Hemi, it gives people something that really stands out, with European build quality, and American muscle, that is competitive to our local prices, and catering options to suit everyone 3.5L petrol V6, 5.7L with DOD, 6.1L V8 and importantly 3L CRD with amazing performance and refinement with exceptional fuel economy, which is something a lot of families want. People on these forums say the Fairlane and Statesman has more legroom in the back than the 300C, but that is not why people buy the Fairlane and Statesman, they buy it wanting something large that stands out. I think the 300C will be more appealing because of my stated reasons. HSV can no longer rely on their old concept which worked, "next model will have a bigger engine with more power" - the general public are no longer "wishing to own a Clubsport" - Maybe that could be a good topic for a thread, ideas for HSV and FPV to turn them in to a brand that will regain that brand appeal, cos they are loosing it real fast (Just look at the stock at the dealerships)
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2006, 12:02 PM   #33
seano14
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
Road Ahead June July issue, 300C is expensive to own.
12 Common parts bin items. 300C $7333. Falcon $ 2590. Maxima $3696. Hyundai $5020. VW Passat $3080.
Insurance 300C $1387. Falcon $616. Maxima $707. VW $845. Hyundai $ 765.
Service Costs $ 300C $12003. Falcon $678. Maxima $1207. Hyundai $1225. VW $1859
Interesting ! Holden couldn't supply a Calais, as none avaialble due to runout for VE.
yikes! yeah i read that article this morning but didnt notice these facts! i guess if you're looking at buying a SRT8 your wallet must be buldging already to begin with
seano14 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2006, 12:08 PM   #34
XA-Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
12 Common parts bin items. 300C $7333. Falcon $ 2590. Maxima $3696. Hyundai $5020. VW Passat $3080.
Interesting ! Holden couldn't supply a Calais, as none avaialble due to runout for VE.

I'd be betting the 300c is the only V8 amongst that lot ... so the servicing costs are going to be more just because of that .. before you get onto what the dealers will charge.
Insurance... same deal, V8s tend to cost more to insure.
Parts bin .. shows it pays not to crash them
XA-Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2006, 04:14 PM   #35
1TUFFUTE
Banned

its nice to see all the chrysler boys jump on here to defend themselves...but back on topic. The thread says nothing about personal preference...its stating FACTS about national standards for everyone to see. Of course different people will choose different cars depending on their tastes. If i misunderstood the original thread then i apolagize..

Last edited by russellw; 16-06-2006 at 07:01 PM. Reason: You were warned - and this is the last one.
1TUFFUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2006, 04:33 PM   #36
LUXO_8
windsor user

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1TUFFUTE
its nice to see all the chrysler boys jump on here to defend themselves...but back on topic. The thread says nothing about personal preference...its stating FACTS about national standards for everyone to see. Of course different people will choose different cars depending on their tastes. If i misunderstood the original thread then i apolagize..
LOL point me in the direction of "all the chrysler boys" that have "jumped in to defend themselves...."

Last edited by russellw; 16-06-2006 at 07:01 PM.
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2006, 07:21 PM   #37
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Quote:
I'd have no argument with the view that the Chrysler parts prices are appalling as those I have seen so far definitely are. That this reflects the relatively low volumes in this country (and no doubt good profit margins) is just par for the course. At least most of the parts can be sourced out of US suppliers at reasonable prices and there are plenty of sources that will supply them here. For example the shipped cost of a boot mat ex the US is $144 and the local dealer (trade) price is $245.

I think there might be a small error in the service costs posted above with perhaps one zero too many?

Insurance (for me) was slightly less than the GT-P on the SRT8 so that's an even call and my first oil and filter change (at $95) about half the same cost for the GT-P but these are all locally available parts.

The HID headlights are obviously expensive but can be sourced from US dealers at a fraction of the local parts cost but no doubt these costs will eventually impact the insurance costs as they start getting damaged.

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2006, 07:39 PM   #38
Josh_XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

lets all get back to the point, dont you just hate pants
Josh_XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2006, 08:28 PM   #39
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by XA-Coupe
The point is, just because they are journalists their opinin isnt automatically valid.
You learn there are some journos that try to work around their biases and some that are just gerbils that pump out whatever they think will sell.
Cough, Paul Gover, Cough.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2006, 08:33 PM   #40
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by XA-Coupe
I'd be betting the 300c is the only V8 amongst that lot ... so the servicing costs are going to be more just because of that .. before you get onto what the dealers will charge.
Insurance... same deal, V8s tend to cost more to insure.
Parts bin .. shows it pays not to crash them
I'd imagine they would be refering to the V6 version as all the others are 6 cylinders too.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2006, 04:25 PM   #41
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellw
I'd have no argument with the view that the Chrysler parts prices are appalling as those I have seen so far definitely are. That this reflects the relatively low volumes in this country (and no doubt good profit margins) is just par for the course. At least most of the parts can be sourced out of US suppliers at reasonable prices and there are plenty of sources that will supply them here. For example the shipped cost of a boot mat ex the US is $144 and the local dealer (trade) price is $245.

I think there might be a small error in the service costs posted above with perhaps one zero too many?

Insurance (for me) was slightly less than the GT-P on the SRT8 so that's an even call and my first oil and filter change (at $95) about half the same cost for the GT-P but these are all locally available parts.

The HID headlights are obviously expensive but can be sourced from US dealers at a fraction of the local parts cost but no doubt these costs will eventually impact the insurance costs as they start getting damaged.

Cheers
Russ
Sorry !!! 300C service cost is $2003 and at 12000KM intervals. From THE ROAD AHEAD June July issue
csv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2006, 04:27 PM   #42
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
I'd imagine they would be refering to the V6 version as all the others are 6 cylinders too.
Yes, it is the V6 on test in the magazine. Not the V8
csv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post