Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 13-07-2006, 05:38 PM   #1
robbo_23

Default Roadworthy Tips

I recently came into the possesion of an 89 EA Falcon because the guy didnt want it anymore (lucky me ). I hired a car trailer and towed it back home. Last couple of days I've just been cleaning it (typical car that lives on a farm, absolutely s**t everywhere) and now im looking to get it roadworthied.

I've noticed a few things wrong with the car (blown breaklight bulb, cracked indicator lense, etc) but have decided to not fix it until initially getting it looked at. That way the guy doing the roadworthy will have sumthing to write down i figured, then i could go get it home, screw in a new bulb and indicator lense, then take it back and get my roadworthy.

Just a few questions...

Im undecided on how i am to legally get it to the mechanics where im going to get it roadworthied. I know a guy who I might be able to borrow sum trade plates from, would this be the best way to get it there?. It drives ok, i just need to get it to the mechanics leagally. If I cant get the trade plates, is it easy enough to just get a day permit from the department of transport?

Anyway, and tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated, cos im 17 and only been driving for about 8 months.

Thanks, robbo

robbo_23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2006, 05:44 PM   #2
naughtyfalcon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

you are entittled to take it to a place to obtain a road worthy then home then to rego it.
or do both at the same time if it passes.
Old 13-07-2006, 05:47 PM   #3
Kryton

first question that needs to be asked is:
WHAT STATE DO YOU LIVE IN?
the answer to your initial question will depend on the answer to my question.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2006, 06:00 PM   #4
robbo_23

I live in qld, but according to naughty falcon im entitled to drive it there and back to get it road worthied.
Old 13-07-2006, 06:03 PM   #5
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

you can get a wreck reg and drive it anywhere... just say you're 'on your way to roadworthy joint' or.... you're 'on my way home from roadworthy joint' - even if you're not
kyro_02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2006, 06:06 PM   #6
robbo_23

and how will i obtain this "wreck reg" u speak of so highly ?
Old 13-07-2006, 06:38 PM   #7
*rayman*
454 Power

in QLD you are allowed to drive it from the roadworthy inspection station (providing it has passed roadworthy) to the transport dept to get registered, providing you have your compulsory 3rd party insurance paid and valid, and have the registration paperwork completed and present with you in the vehichle.

I was given this information by a local police officer who i am friends with... You cannot under any circumstances drive a vehicle on qld roads without 3rd party insurance.

You will have to tilt tray it or trailer it to the inspection station. The trade plates are only intended for trade business conducted by the company they are registered to.

TOY - 68 SS 454 Camaro
*rayman* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2006, 08:29 PM   #8
xxxc
tuff

just use the trade plate.......
xxxc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2006, 09:02 PM   #9
351ciofgrunt
Go Hard or Go Home

As has already been said, in QLD you have to have compulsory third party insurance and your appliaction for rego forms filled out and WITH YOU to drive to the roadworthy, if you pass you are allowed to drive to qld transport, if you fail the rwc you have to get it TOWED home
351ciofgrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2006, 09:30 PM   #10
robbo_23

Allrighty then, so I guess ive gathered that I should fix all problems that would make me fail a roadworthy test and pay for my CTP/get an application for registration. Then drive it to the roadworthy place, hopefully get it to pass. If it passes, drive it to the department of transport and get it registered . If it fails then get it towed home :(
Old 13-07-2006, 10:45 PM   #11
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

maybe it is a vic thing only than .... guess you's have some bad luck ? :P

in VIC we can get a wreck reg and drive it to "PLACES TO GET FIXED" but yeah, you can drive it around but don't forget to think of an excuse when you get pulled up :P

same with NSW .. although you have to get car towed to get a RW ... than you can drive it anywhere (old man drove a car back from NSW to VIC) didn't even get pulled up hehe
kyro_02 is offline   Reply With Quote