Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 09-08-2006, 11:54 AM   #1
foxtrot
Blood, sweat & tears

Default Opinions on Extended Warranty?

Hi Guys,

I got myself an AU1 XR6 5 speed 2 weeks ago.

Since I've had it... in the whole 2 weeks.. It seems my uni joints are gone.. they clunk when you tap the throttle on and off cruising along.. there is a hell of a lot of driveline slack which wasn't originally there and the Diff makes a constant whining and droning noise. (Now i get to hear this rather than the sweet noise of the engine purring along)

A belt started squealing and has since stopped..

Battery light stays on when the cars cold then eventually turns off and the gauge goes above half way (dying alternator?)

I can feel a knocking through the Foot rest and a VERY slight noise (Im guessing this is a disc problem from another thread i read through but the brakes feel fine??)

When under load (say going up a hill) when you first start accelerating i get a noise like a tin full of rocks from the front left.. once the revs pick up it seems to die.

Anyway.. car is in for a service today back at the dealer with all these problems.. I'm guessing they will tell me it's all normal and not replace anything! I have provided Oil, Oil Filter and Petrol Filter for them to change for me for around $100.

Car only has 113,000k on the clock.

Now with all these problems in 2 weeks im getting worried.. the dealer only offered 3months/ 5000k warranty and i turned away extended warranty.

They say i have till the end of the week if i want extended warranty so i still have a chance... Do you think any of these problems are major.. it sounds like Common AU problems from what i've read.. but thing is it wasn't there 2 weeks ago when i got the car.

Would you say it would be smart to pay $1215 for 36 months "Classic" Warranty..

I know this might sound stupid and it's really up to me but im just after some advice and what are the forums for..

Im only 18 and 12 months Compo insurance just set me back 2 grand.. I don't want to part with another $1200 If i dont need to! and it seems worn out LSD's etc aren't covered in any of the warrantys anyway.. grr

Momo Gear Knob
Schmick Pioneer Headunit w/ Dolphinvision :
4 Channel Kicker Amp to decent speakers;
Alpine Monoblock to Pioneer Subwoofer;
Tuned to perfect clarity-

Outside:

Pure Sexy Falcon w/18" BA XR8 Factory Option Mags
Clear Side Indicators

Coming soon:
Pedders lowered Sports Ryders all 'round
Extractors/Exhaust/Hi-Flo Cat
foxtrot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2006, 12:13 PM   #2
WILDTRAKPX2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mate, don't try and handle this yourself. Get on to a family member or friend who has experience in this sort of thing ASAP. Only being 18, you will be eaten alive in this situation without strong backup. You need to get the car checked independently and get experienced advice about further warranty etc.

Good luck.

http://www.fairtrading.qld.gov.au/OF...5?OpenDocument
WILDTRAKPX2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2006, 12:40 PM   #3
foxtrot
Blood, sweat & tears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockwave XR8
Mate, don't try and handle this yourself. Get on to a family member or friend who has experience in this sort of thing ASAP. Only being 18, you will be eaten alive in this situation without strong backup. You need to get the car checked independently and get experienced advice about further warranty etc.

Good luck.

http://www.fairtrading.qld.gov.au/OF...5?OpenDocument
Family is no help... Hopefully someone on the forums can help. I just don't want to pay the 1200 bucks unless things do go wrong and things are fixed up to this value.. so that it pays for itself in a way.

My mum drives a crappy old EB fairmont.. which has a nice big ding in the back from a pole (my bad)

Dad drives an old 351XD and an old XD panelvan

I have the newest car in the family.. the only decent car lol.... my parents seem to be anti-insurance... anti-debt kind of people.. Dad hates the idea of loans and is heaps tight with his money, im the only one who drives a fully insured vehicle so they won't be much help at all..

I am pretty disappointed that the diff has developed this whining and all the problems within 2 weeks! I had a bit of money put away to get a scrape on the car fixed and have a crack in the body kit plas-welded... also a cut and polish to re-juv the paint job.. but this might have to go towards extended warranty intead.. which means more time for more rust to develop on the scrape while i save up again... grrr
Momo Gear Knob

Outside:

Clear Side Indicators

Coming soon:
Old 09-08-2006, 12:41 PM   #4
foxtrot
Blood, sweat & tears

Oh Cheers for the link
Momo Gear Knob

Outside:

Clear Side Indicators

Coming soon:
Old 09-08-2006, 12:41 PM   #5
HLC
Audi S3

ive taken up Extended warranty on my AU2 fairmont. i didnt wanna part with the cash either, im 18 too. but it's already paid for itself when the radiator cracked. there was more than enough coolant and everything too, so they paid for it, cause obviously it cracked through no fault of my own.

also took it out on my mum's AU2 Fairlane. and it has paid for itself when the aircon died.

ive had no problems with it, but a lot of people say otherwise.
Old 09-08-2006, 12:42 PM   #6
RATT

Quote:
the dealer only offered 3months/ 5000k warranty and i turned away extended warranty.

I'll clear this one up for you real quick.

The dealer MUST cover you for a minimum of 3mths or 5000km provided the car is less than 10yrs old and has less than 160000km on it. In your case the AUI does fit into this category.

So therefore they must sell you a roadworthy vehicle and warrant it.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2006, 12:43 PM   #7
foxtrot
Blood, sweat & tears

Today while its in getting serviced they are replacing a radiator hose which was leaking (I had to top up the coolant/water after a day of owning it) and fixing the rear vision mirror which was broken when I purchased.. they are also replacing blown front left indicator which was blown when purchased and the passenger front seatbelt which was frayed and almost broken when i purchased the car.

Im hoping they fix the mystery battery light which turns itself off after a while and I REALLY hope something can be done about the whining diff and driveline shunt.
Momo Gear Knob

Outside:

Clear Side Indicators

Coming soon:
Old 09-08-2006, 12:46 PM   #8
foxtrot
Blood, sweat & tears

Quote:
Originally Posted by RATT
I'll clear this one up for you real quick.

The dealer MUST cover you for a minimum of 3mths or 5000km provided the car is less than 10yrs old and has less than 160000km on it. In your case the AUI does fit into this category.
Well apparently this doesn't cover radiator hoses from what I read on the contract thing. Nor does it cover blown bulbs... They are replacing both though so I can't complain. I'm leaning towards saying YES and getting extended warranty because of HLC's AUII Fairmont.... mmm how rare is it for radiators to stuff up like that?

aahh decisions and parting with money.. I'm no good at either!
Momo Gear Knob

Outside:

Clear Side Indicators

Coming soon:
Old 09-08-2006, 12:49 PM   #9
HLC
Audi S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxtrot
Well apparently this doesn't cover radiator hoses from what I read on the contract thing. Nor does it cover blown bulbs... They are replacing both though so I can't complain. I'm leaning towards saying YES and getting extended warranty because of HLC's AUII Fairmont.... mmm how rare is it for radiators to stuff up like that?

just put plenty of pressure on them about the diff and driveline. if you have to pay for the bulbs and hose, so be it. cheaper than a new diff or tail shaft.
Old 09-08-2006, 12:54 PM   #10
2002auxr6
Drunk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxtrot

he dealer warranty doesnt cover hoses or consumable items, in regards to the warranty you better off putting the $$ aside for future repairs, and it just sounds like wear related anyway so probally wont be covered by the exteneded warranty

PS i work for a warranty company
Old 09-08-2006, 12:58 PM   #11
2002auxr6
Drunk!

and also ive had the same problems with my car, the dealer has to fix it, even though it is just noisy and still servicible theY STILL HAVE TO FIX IT, JUST THREATEN THEM WITH fAIR tRADING AND THEY WILL FIX IT STRAIGHT AWAY
Old 09-08-2006, 01:11 PM   #12
LG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I got the Extended Warranty on mine. Still have a while left in it. Really, if you can spare it... go for it.

It's just like having insurance on your house. Fires always seem to happen in homes, where people don't have insurance. It's life, but if you hit an unlucky patch with your car, you can find yourself spending more than $1200, fixing your car... where it could have been covered under warranty.

It's all up to you though. It depends if you can get cheap parts, and do the work yourself. If not, you should consider it.

Goodluck.

LG
Old 09-08-2006, 02:49 PM   #13
foxtrot
Blood, sweat & tears

thanks HEAPS guys! gawd I love this forum..

Well my moods a bit better now, just had a call from the guy in the service dept @ the zooom zoom mazda dealer where i bought my car..

They said my front brake pads were low, so they replaced with new ones
My coolant filler bottle was leaking, so they've ordered a new one in.
They've ordered a new passenger front seatbelt in.
They say the whining noise isn't the diff, it's a wheel bearing and they've ordered one in..

They fixed my rear vision mirror and replaced the broken indicator

So I have to take it back another day and they'll change the 3 things on order.

If it still whines i'll take it back again and use that threat recommended if they don't fix it.. but hopefully it is just the bearings.

I doubt I'll need to threaten them they seem very good so far.. no hassles and great service... dropped me off at work this morning and had my car for the day. Go Mazda

$91 bucks is all it cost me and that's because i requested they change the oil and filter (I supplied)
Momo Gear Knob

Outside:

Clear Side Indicators

Coming soon:
Old 09-08-2006, 02:55 PM   #14
foxtrot
Blood, sweat & tears

mmmm that clunk when im cruising along and tap the accelerator on and off.. I forgot about that though.. I will complain when I take the car in for those replacement parts I guess. 2002 AU XR6... Do you think anything will go wrong in 3 years that IS covered by the warranty. I doubt I'll have any engine troubles .. it covers $1500 to the engine block, transmission though.

How long have you had your AU.. although being a series 3 yours would have less problems i guess.
Momo Gear Knob

Outside:

Clear Side Indicators

Coming soon: