Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

View Poll Results: Take the fellas money or talk him out of it?
Take his money 44 41.51%
Talk him out of it 62 58.49%
Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-08-2006, 09:09 PM   #31
Scott

Perhaps they should shut the shop and open a car yard lol.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2006, 09:55 PM   #32
thefargo
black xb
Donating Member3

if the 'shoe was on the other foot", what would you want them to do to/for you?
thefargo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2006, 10:02 PM   #33
Scott

Tell me honestly what I will get for my money and then carry out the works that I am "insisting" upon. Charge me a fair price and I'm a happy man. This guy found an XF for $500, he can't not-know what else was in the paper that weekend.
Old 06-08-2006, 09:29 AM   #34
AUIII XR8 MAN
DJR TM#54

Location: on my p.c now with internet! ok i'll still use works internet too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghia5L
If the customer still wants to have his XF fixed, that's his prerogative. Just make sure you're upfront and honest about all the costs involved, talk him through it, and if he still wants to go ahead with it all after everything's been spelt out to him, then who are you to say no? He's offering you good business, he'd be fully aware of what he's paying for after you've sat him down & gone through everthing...
I agree If you tell him everything he needs to know than repair the car correctly at a fair price if he still want too. Maybe try telling he could buy another XF in better condition, use that & use the other XF as spare & any bits he want of that XF could be transfer onto the better XF.
Old 06-08-2006, 10:08 AM   #35
AshMan
Girrrrr!!!

I personally did everything I could to discourage the guy, but being a first year apprentice I don't exactly have much sway when it comes down to bottom lines and profit margins...

I am almost upset that the trady I work with is not doing enough to discourage the person from throwing money at it.

The mechanic even suggested for the fellow to save some money by doing some of the repairs himself, such as degrease the engine, but refuses to even get his hands dirty.

At the end of the day, I guess I just have to do what I'm told...

Heritage green, isn't that a fence paint?
AshMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2006, 11:36 AM   #36
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshMan
I personally did everything I could to discourage the guy...

At the end of the day, I guess I just have to do what I'm told...
I suppose that's all you can do... Don't fret too much, you've done your bit to try & offer the XF owner honest advice.
mcflux is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2006, 11:42 AM   #37
Josh_XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The fact is this, he wants it done, ur business can provide that service, so yeh it would be a good idea to advise him that it will just overprice the car and aint really worth it, but thats as far as i would go.
Josh_XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2006, 11:49 AM   #38
fiery
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ash to be honest, as long as your mechanical repair shop has been honest with the guy and told him what it will cost etc...
Then there is no issue..

To those of you that are saying that 'tell us who you are so we can avoid you'.. be real!!!!

The guy might seriously like the car and if he does not want to listen to reason and try to save money because this is the actual car he wants.. how on earth should this be Ashman - or the other mechanics problem...

I know of people that love their car and pay out whatever money necessary to fix it just because of what it is, not what its going to cost to fix...

Ashman, you have done what is required.. it is the car owners choice at the end of the day..

I know when I bought my car and had to spend so many thousands on it a week after owning it, there was no way anyone could talk me out of it.. It was the car I wanted and it was the car I was going to have...

I am so disappointed with so many in not realising that Ashman wasn't saying about ripping someone off purposely..
He was simply asking for a bit of advice.. those of you that think he (or the business he is working for) is ripping this guy off.. couldn't you have offered some solid ground advice instead of picking...

I don't know what there is anyone could say mind you, the car owner has final say...
fiery is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2006, 07:18 PM   #39
AshMan
Girrrrr!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiery
Ash to be honest, as long as your mechanical repair shop has been honest with the guy and told him what it will cost etc...
Then there is no issue..

To those of you that are saying that 'tell us who you are so we can avoid you'.. be real!!!!

The guy might seriously like the car and if he does not want to listen to reason and try to save money because this is the actual car he wants.. how on earth should this be Ashman - or the other mechanics problem...

I know of people that love their car and pay out whatever money necessary to fix it just because of what it is, not what its going to cost to fix...

Ashman, you have done what is required.. it is the car owners choice at the end of the day..

I know when I bought my car and had to spend so many thousands on it a week after owning it, there was no way anyone could talk me out of it.. It was the car I wanted and it was the car I was going to have...

I am so disappointed with so many in not realising that Ashman wasn't saying about ripping someone off purposely..
He was simply asking for a bit of advice.. those of you that think he (or the business he is working for) is ripping this guy off.. couldn't you have offered some solid ground advice instead of picking...

I don't know what there is anyone could say mind you, the car owner has final say...

Thanks fiery, I'm glad someone can appreciate that I'm trying to do the right thing but its basically out of my hands.

As we quoted the fellow $2000, that was a VERY generous estimate, as we all know parts can be harder to find and repairs can take longer than originally thought, so I guess all I can do is do a good job, use decent parts and hopefully the fella will learn a lesson in the process when the next thing goes wrong.

Cheers

Old 06-08-2006, 08:35 PM   #40
AshMan
Girrrrr!!!

Being employed by a group training organisation, I have the advantage of being able to move from employer to employer.

I am not happy with some of the things this company does, they have basically ****ed in my pockets from day one, treat customers like crap, being quite rude etc. don't have any diagnostic equipment and understaffed.

I think the best course of action at this point would be for me to request that I be transferred to another employer.

I admit that my first post and the thread title may not have been well thought out, but it's been a trying couple of weeks and I'm tired, and I am a fairly sensitive bloke and was affected deeply by the way customers are treated and customers orders followed blindly without being properly explained and having all the options laid out in front of them.

I hope one day to be a master mechanic and to own my own shop, where I can be friendly and open to customers, where they can trust me unconditionally and take my advice and act on it accordingly, however this company does not encourage this philosophy.

Old 06-08-2006, 09:45 PM   #41
jd dad
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

By the sounds of it the only person ripping anyone off is the one who sold this poor sod a POS XF for $500 in the first place. Good on you Ashman for being honest about it all.
Old 06-08-2006, 09:54 PM   #42
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd dad
By the sounds of it the only person ripping anyone off is the one who sold this poor sod a POS XF for $500 in the first place.
That seems to sum it up nicely lol.
Old 06-08-2006, 11:46 PM   #43
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Being employed by a group training organisation, I have the advantage of being able to move from employer to employer.

I am not happy with some of the things this company does, they have basically ****ed in my pockets from day one, treat customers like crap, being quite rude etc. don't have any diagnostic equipment and understaffed.

I think the best course of action at this point would be for me to request that I be transferred to another employer.

I admit that my first post and the thread title may not have been well thought out, but it's been a trying couple of weeks and I'm tired, and I am a fairly sensitive bloke and was affected deeply by the way customers are treated and customers orders followed blindly without being properly explained and having all the options laid out in front of them.
I appreciate your conscience at work here ashman. In the end mate, you have to be able to sleep well at night. I don't know how people who rip others off so readily get any sleep at all.

Good on you!

Hope you end up with your own business. An honest and open mechanic, we all need more of them!

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2006, 09:09 AM   #44
Ringo
I see you....

I used to work at a prestige german car dealer and we had people bring back their 15 year old rusting stinking pieces of crap for service and repairs regularly. They were paying through the nose ($100+ per hour) to have the work done when the workshop around the corner would have charged half that and been a hell of a lot more honest about it all. Spending money on their car gave them a warm and fuzzy feeling I guess....

Some folks look at car completely different to how the rest of us FF people look at a car. They don't see odo's with too many klms, accident damage and tell tale signs of $$$ to be spent. This is why there are so many dodgy car yards around - they live off suckers who know nothing about cars.

You can lead em to water but you can't make em drink. Advise them of the options and the outcomes and let them decide...... and sleep well at night.
Ringo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2006, 03:16 PM   #45
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

By the sounds of things, you didn't talk to him in any detail.

I say that a 10 minute explanation is all that is required. Give the alternative.

Because he knows nothing about cars, any alternative will be foreign to him by the sounds of it.

If he still insists, then take his money. But at least that way, you've performed both options and you know that you tried to do the best thing by him, even if he didn't think so. You can then wipe your hands, say "I tried" and move on.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2006, 03:26 PM   #46
EA2BA
PM me if you want

Do not try talk him out of it, you can tell me if you bought any car for $500 the car you always wanted you would not spend just about anything to get it roadworthy.

2 choices, take the money do the repair and hope he is happy and doesnt keep coming back for stupid problems that you never caused, OR tell him sorry but we wont do the work as we dont want to take your money as it is not worth repairing.

Send me a PM if you want to know anything

2010 Ford Ranger PK High Rider (Auto) - 2011 Ford Fiesta (Auto)
EA2BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2006, 04:57 PM   #47
naroomablue

I got a mate thats selling an ED for $1500, in fairly good nick and we only replaced the head 6 months ago....The only guy doing the "ripping" here is the one that sold it to your client. If you've explained everything and he still wants to go ahead than do it, to me its a no brainer, your conscious should be clear Ashman.
naroomablue is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2006, 06:10 PM   #48
AshMan
Girrrrr!!!

thank god the fella changed his mind...

finally managed to convince him the money was better spent, however unfortunatly he's bought an equally crap magna...

I give up.

Old 07-08-2006, 07:51 PM   #49
red_hotxr6
Banned

Not enough options up there to vote on.If you have pointed out to the guy that he would be better off spending his $2000.oo on another car and he still wants to go ahead and have the work done to the xf, well by all means, it,s what the customer wants.
red_hotxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2006, 08:42 PM   #50
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

My son bought a top condition E.D Fairmont for $3250.00 with body kit exhaust and suspension mods....
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2006, 08:49 PM   #51
AshMan
Girrrrr!!!

Not being racist, but the fellow didn't speak english very well, I could of talked to him till I was blue in the face and it wouldn't of made a scrap of difference...

Old 07-08-2006, 08:52 PM   #52
Scott

Quote:

finally managed to convince him the money was better spent, however unfortunatly he's bought an equally crap magna...

I give up.
The poor bastard. What's his number? I've got an EA here he can have.
Old 07-08-2006, 08:54 PM   #53
AshMan
Girrrrr!!!

Ha I'll even throw in a MPFI to CPI conversion kit... yeah thats not a typo :P

Old 10-08-2006, 10:44 AM   #54
fiery
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

I give up.
He should have stuck with the XF :
:
fiery is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2006, 02:31 PM   #55
Belle_Hemmi
Fords & Hemi's

Default Put yourself in his shoes

Put yourself in the poor guys shoes who got ripped off to start with by paying $500.00 for it. What if it was you trying to buy a house / jet ski what ever and didn't know exactly what to do or look for, Someone would proberly rip you off. We all make mistakes. I beleieve WHAT DOES AROUND COMES AROUND. it will come back and bit you if your not honest. TRUST ME
Belle_Hemmi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2006, 05:39 PM   #56
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I believe this thread is over.

He advised the dude to drop his XF and get something better, so he got a beat up Magna. "I give up" was among the final statements.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2006, 11:39 AM   #57
atec77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Okay,

Bloke gets his *new* XF towed into work the other day for a roadworthy.

Has like 350,000km + on the clock.

The car failed miserably, with items like rust on the firewall, oil leaks, coolant leaks, possible blown headgasket, 3 bald tyres, unsecured drivers seat... the list just keeps going.

Firstly, the fella said he paid $500 for the car, and that he knows nothing about cars. (to prepare for the roadworthy all he did was drown the interior in deodrant...) He is very insistant on having the repairs done so we quote him an abitrary figure of $2000 to try to discourage him from bothering...

He still wants the repairs done!

Now, my opinion is that he bought the car because it had brandnew looking chrome 12 slotters and had a nice exhaust note.

The mechanic wants to take his money, yet I would prefer to convince the fellow not to bother and to spend his money on an ED/EF...

Do I just shutup and take the money or talk him out of it???
Take the money if he is understanding of the options , he says yes ?
do it , 2k into an xf will build a great car ... but then it may not take that much to sort it ?
and of course you will charge honestly /
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post