Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 09-08-2006, 01:16 PM   #61
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoney!
I'm sure it would come no surprise to a few of you here that I agree with Bradcad, after reading some of the things he has been saying, its refreshing some old thoughts.

I remember I had the VY and the boss still had the awful AU Wagon (to transport stuff between branches) Anyway i had to take it up to another branch to pick some stuff up and I also was quite grossed out with the power, now the VY wasn't the nicest car to drive, with heavy steering and a rickety ride, but it was at least faultless.

I noticed that if the AU hit second and then you wanted a bit of power it simply wasn't there. Apart from that was the god awful loud transmissions whines, clunking and flaring (all of which the VY had done but to no where near the extent, and no tranny noise)

Then there was the annoying offset driving position wich i hated, unspportive seats and strange seat height, not no mention the boring as bat **** dashboard.

I would prob own a BA over a VY, BA and VZ is a tricky one, but id own a VT over an AU any day, it was horrid!!!!

After the VY I was scared to get a BA after driving that AU but it was a much more pleasent car, far from perfect, but deffinatly better, then I found myself at home in a VZ SV6 Before I left the company, It was great, smooth as silk, good power, sure footed handling, average but not bad ride quality, very quiet, but **** throttle response from the Drive by Wire.

Overall I think the VZ is a great car and looking at a lot of car reviews point people in the same direction, sure some may say the BA is a better car (which opinions can differ between certain people) but no where does it ever say the VZ is a bad car.

I remember driving a VT once, and I thought it was nice, I hear a lot of brake issues but I recall it having really nice brakes, I might have to test drive a few more of them before i buy one and read up a bit more on the VT's

Stoney!
i think you should be comparing the VZ with the BF mate.. which is a completely differrent kettle of fish. The 6 speed auto XR6 compared with the 5 speed auto VZ SV6 was a whitewash - you may be interested to read this article - CLICK HERE FOR IT
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2006, 01:37 PM   #62
bradcad

cool...
bradcad is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2006, 04:19 PM   #63
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Very Interesting article. Enjoyed it. Makes the BF sound totally kickarse, which makes the BFII sound even better!

And bradcad, this thread has been most enjoyable, regardless of what has been said. Really enjoyed people sharing their thoughts on ELs, AUs and BAs. Helped me out a lot too. Well done.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2006, 05:40 PM   #64
Poetic Justice
NOT A TOYOTA :/

I owned an AU2 Fairmont Ghia with a fair bit of external work done to it and fully optioned for a fair while and loved it.

Test drove a fairly modified VT SS S2 (gen3) and whilst it was an impressive car, lacked the strength and comfortability that the AU2 offered.

Thats my opinion
Old 09-08-2006, 07:32 PM   #65
Tropicsnude
Old & New Ford Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantz
i think you should be comparing the VZ with the BF mate.. which is a completely differrent kettle of fish. The 6 speed auto XR6 compared with the 5 speed auto VZ SV6 was a whitewash - you may be interested to read this article - CLICK HERE FOR IT
This wheels article was one of the many motivations for me to recently buy my BF XR6 during my research process.
I test drove more than 2 cars, including SV6, 380 VRX (as compared in article) as well as a Lexus and BMW.
No doubt the Lexus & BM felt a little more luxurious, and were definitely quieter than any Oz vehicle I drove, but to justify the extra 40K plus was totally impossible ! A little less tyre noise, and a few more buttons to get confused by aint worth 40K in my book !
The BF certainly compared though to them in "feelable" power and handling, not to mention the loads of extra space.
See..... I'm not a die hard Ford fan.... but I'm certainly sold on the BF, along with all reputable motoring journalists.
Sure, I've spent some $$$ on mods since buying, but the basic vehicle is already world class, and with a few goodies added becomes a world beater !
This thread is titled new(er) falcons, and my car fits this perfectly.... it was built April 06.
In my mind there is simply nothing else out there at present that can compare in the same class, without spending **** loads more for very little gain.
Cheers
Tony
Old 09-08-2006, 07:32 PM   #66
GTWHOA
Just cruisin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoney!
I noticed that if the AU hit second and then you wanted a bit of power it simply wasn't there. Apart from that was the god awful loud transmissions whines, clunking and flaring (all of which the VY had done but to no where near the extent, and no tranny noise)
no power in second lol. mine has plenty : no but seriously VT's are pretty awful. Maybe the falcon had flat tyres lol
Old 10-08-2006, 06:42 PM   #67
samftr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

put it this way on performance. a stock standard EB 2 automatic sedan is quicker off the mark and in every gear than a stock standard VT sedan auto. I asked a guy we get in at work who drops off boot loads of stuff to us there. and he says his au series 2 Fairmont wagon was a better car than his current ba fairmont wagon. the au had 350,000 kays on it when his company traded it. and he by no means gives his cars an easy life. with the car used to lug crap around all day long at work.
his arguments were
1: The AU drove nicer,
2: He didnt like the BA's drive by wire (and i must admid I'm not a fan of this either)
3:The AU was better on fuel than the BA - by a fly poo but it was better none the less.
(just remember wagons have still got leaf suspension in ba's)

another note that I have found, was that with standard ef suspension that had 300,000 + kays on the clock the car still was predictable under heavy acceleration on a corner, whereas the ba was a bit erratic and tended to bite in if the rear end came out*.

apart from that if you shop around most models EB II onwards were pretty good value for money if you bought one with a service history and looked after it.

different story if you are driving under medium/light acceleration on a bumpy road where the rear suspension gets upset in the live axle setup.

Felcen!
samftr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2006, 09:08 AM   #68
bradcad

I did like the EB II when the old lady's fella bought one. Pity it turned out a bucket though. I almost bought an ED at one stage but finances....

thanks for the responses people it's good to see that people can make a judgement based on merit, not just a badge.
bradcad is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2006, 05:02 PM   #69
samftr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

lol at the bucket comment. I had an ea *shudder* but apart from the few lemon problems it was a comfy car to drive that went well occasionaly. If you look around you can get relatively good condition cars for the 5 grand mark. from eb to au2 falcons. commodores are the same story with the 5 grand cash. even if you wanted a magna, theres a few in brisbane for around 5 - 8 thousand mark with round 100,000k mark auto/manual etc. good buys if theyre looked after.

Felcen!
samftr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2006, 06:05 PM   #70
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Like others have said it's the gearing that makes these cars. I've driven a few XT's with the four speed and was so glad that I bought a manual as the it felt like a slug. But the other day I drove a BA MKII XR6 with the four speed and it was much better than the XT. The different diff ratio's did alot for the XR. I wouldn't be disappointed in owning this car.

Now the exec VX I have is slow, feels like it's hurting at higher revs and has scary body roll, and has only done 60,000k's of mostly nice old lady driving (the folks drive it alot). You cant drive a base model car and compare it with a higher spec car, of course the higher spec car is going to win.

Too bad you didn't try an AU XR6 I reckon it would left a smile on your face.
vztrt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2006, 06:11 PM   #71
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
Like others have said it's the gearing that makes these cars. I've driven a few XT's with the four speed and was so glad that I bought a manual as the it felt like a slug. But the other day I drove a BA MKII XR6 with the four speed and it was much better than the XT. The different diff ratio's did alot for the XR. I wouldn't be disappointed in owning this car.

Now the exec VX I have is slow, feels like it's hurting at higher revs and has scary body roll, and has only done 60,000k's of mostly nice old lady driving (the folks drive it alot). You cant drive a base model car and compare it with a higher spec car, of course the higher spec car is going to win.

Too bad you didn't try an AU XR6 I reckon it would left a smile on your face.
if you liked the 4 speed auto xr6 you should try the 6 speed ;p
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2006, 06:15 PM   #72
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantz
if you liked the 4 speed auto xr6 you should try the 6 speed ;p
Yeah I have, I've driven a few 6sp's XR6/XR8 ute's/sedan/terri's.

Still love driving manual more than auto, the 6sp manual is fantatstic but I lucked out that I got a 5sp that has a tight driveline.
vztrt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post