Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 25-08-2006, 09:38 PM   #31
OLDFORDNUT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

what you need to remember is cheap helmets are made from plastic and even worse most have a join down middle, (usually covered by large stick on murals) these i have seen split down the centre, so not worth touching ,I dont even know how most sub $150 ones even pass the Australian design rules.
OLDFORDNUT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2006, 10:49 PM   #32
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellw
I still have a preference for an open face Bell Mag 4 - I don't like the lack of peripheral vision in a full face unit for track work and am happy to accept the additional risks associated.

They aren't cheap but they are amongst the most comfortable I've stuck my head into.

Cheers
Russ
I find motocross style full face give much better peripheral vision than
road race while still having good protection.
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2006, 11:02 PM   #33
flathead 276

MO & pertuan have hit the nail on the head so to speak, pun intended. I personally would not risk it, head injuries should not be taken lightly.
flathead 276 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2006, 12:10 AM   #34
aquahead2001
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Having been in several “get off’s” on two wheels, I can testify that you pays for what you gets… There is only one way to buy a helmet, go in to a reputable shop (be it motor sport or motorbike) and try on all the different brands and styles that are available until you get one that fits you.

In a previous post it was mentioned that helmets develop a kind of “memory” when they start to conform to bonce inside them.

Totally true, but also certain helmets fit certain heads. My big fat head is very comfortable in only one brand. I’ve tried dozens of different brands and found that I could never fit into some and was only comfortable in one. They weren’t cheap but what price my life???

On one of my rubber side up excursions, my helmet took a fair beating, I’m sure the only reason I’m here today is because of it. Anyway a group of my mates decided we needed to celebrate my survival and we had a little party. Before long the engineers and scientists were pulling my not that old but well and truly worn out helmet to bits to see if they could see any internal damage.

Oh yeah! Although the fibre glass / composite shell had only what looked like superficial damage (360 degree scratches and marks), there didn’t appear to be an impact point. But when we ripped the foam inner liner out it was very clear that there had been a very major impact.

The helmet was toast and the right decision was to have it destroyed.

I still ride and I have a selection of full face and open face helmets that I wear depending on the situation.

Facial damage & chins ripped off with open face? Jaws & teeth smashed to bits with a full face? Just remember that without a helmet you’d be in a coffin most likely. The choice is yours, choose wisely.
aquahead2001 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2006, 06:29 PM   #35
Sledgehammer
Banned

What is your head worth is the question?

Mine's worth more than a cheap hat.....

I have a kevlar one and I know that whilst funds can always go in other places this is one area that I believe should not be shortchanged, also their are differences between motorcycle helmets and thoses designed for car racing......

Just some thoughts
Sledgehammer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2006, 06:42 PM   #36
fiery
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledgehammer
also their are differences between motorcycle helmets and thoses designed for car racing......
So far I have not commented in this thread even though this original argument on helmets started in a Qld Events section... My reasons for not commenting are simple - I am not an expert on the subject nor will I pretend..

Stu, out of curiosity, you say there is a difference between the motorcycle and car racing helmet.. so does this mean that those coming to the Qld event and doing the track work need a car racing helmet - or is a motorcycle style one ok??

I have asked this question to the person that will be checking ever single helmet on the day but have not had a reply as yet..

Would appreciate any information from anyone that is in the know on this..

Thanks
Kerri
fiery is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2006, 06:47 PM   #37
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

I beleive a motorcycle helmet will be fine, some motor bike helmets have a larger openeing on the full face helmet to alow for better vision, it does not seem important until you are using a car helmet with a small opening on your bike and trying to tuck down behind the screen looking out a very narrow opening. Also some M/C helmets are shaped for airflow purposes

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2006, 06:59 PM   #38
Gammaboy
Grinder+Welder = Race car

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratter
I beleive a motorcycle helmet will be fine, some motor bike helmets have a larger openeing on the full face helmet to alow for better vision, it does not seem important until you are using a car helmet with a small opening on your bike and trying to tuck down behind the screen looking out a very narrow opening. Also some M/C helmets are shaped for airflow purposes
The Simpson Bandit is a prime example of the tighter opening on a car helmet, they're a real "bunker slit".
Motorcylce helmets typically have vents etc to provide airflow to the riders head, while in a closed car these vents are next to useless. High end single seater helmets are often shaped differently to anything else for aerodynamic reasons. Finally, one of the major distinctions is that Motorcycle helmets are not set up to be fitted with a HANS device, while many car helmets are (And in 2011 HANS device use will be mandatory in CAMS sanctioned events).
Basically if a Bike helmet has marking indicating it meets one of a list of about 10 different national standards (my CAMS manual is a few years out of date, so rather than post potentially misleading info, hopefully someone with an up to date copy of the NCRs and can post them?), then it acceptable for circuit use, although if its a FIA sanctioned event theres a shortened list of standards the helmet is required to meet.
Old 27-08-2006, 07:02 PM   #39
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

brand spank'n new open face helmets go for around $100/$150 and they look good...

new motox helmets are freak'n like $300 !!! i was like come on... it's only a helmet with an australian approved tick :(
kyro_02 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2006, 07:35 PM   #40
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyro_02
brand spank'n new open face helmets go for around $100/$150 and they look good...

new motox helmets are freak'n like $300 !!! i was like come on... it's only a helmet with an australian approved tick :(
So you only have a $100 head ?:

$300 is still cheap, you can easily spend over $1100 for a decent helmet

Old 27-08-2006, 08:25 PM   #41
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyro_02

This depends on whether you want a helmet to look good or one lets you walk away when you fall off the road..

Hell if you just want to look good, buy a beanie and paint it!
Old 27-08-2006, 08:29 PM   #42
fiery
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I am gathering that some that are saying about buying a cheapish helmet are actually talking about a helmet they would use for track work every now and then.. maybe the drags every few months etc..

I am unsure but would think people riding a motorbike would take far greater care in their choice of helmets... Just the way I see it, and I could very well be wrong..

Mind you, some people riding a bike need a better helmet if some of their riding on the roads is anything to go by..
Old 27-08-2006, 08:32 PM   #43
XRchic
Hello

My kids have brand new, rather expensive helmets for riding their pushbikes, since they ride 6 km per day, to and from school, every day. On busy roads, with a lot of cars. They also have good bikes with reliable gears and good brakes and tyres, the bikes are always serviced... but that is another point.

For drag racing, my kids have their own full face, motorbike helmets. $200 each or thereabouts, brand new. Had them fitted for them at Yamaha World here in SA.

I have worked as a nurse in a large ED in a large public hospital on nights at weekends, and have seen the effects of motocycle accidents, particularly those who didnt wear a) helmets at all b) open faced helmets and c) crap/if any decent leathers. The injuries for bike riders compared to car drivers in an identical accident are very serious, so its very important to maximise all the protection you can get, as far as I have seen. No metal shell surrounding you, no airbags... may as well spend the money you saved on a car on good safety gear for the bike.

Im not big on second hand anything, just personally.

: Cobra :
XRchic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2006, 09:02 PM   #44
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiery
I am gathering that some that are saying about buying a cheapish helmet are actually talking about a helmet they would use for track work every now and then.. maybe the drags every few months etc..

I guess some of them may be right, I guess you only need a good quality helmet if you are going to crash and hit your head, all other times a cheap or 2nd hand helmet will be fine : :

Old 27-08-2006, 09:05 PM   #45
fiery
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratter
I guess some of them may be right, I guess you only need a good quality helmet if you are going to crash and hit your head, all other times a cheap or 2nd hand helmet will be fine : :
You missed my point totally... I was getting at the full faced or not full faced helmets etc.. meaning that the ones for track don't have to be like a motorbike helmet.... Meaning that maybe the ones for track aren't quite as expensive as ones needed for riding a motorbike!!
That was the point I tried to make!!!
Old 27-08-2006, 09:08 PM   #46
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

OK my final word...buy second hand RISK your life...buy new and be safe.

The more I know ppl the more I love my DOGS.
2011 SY Territory Limited Edition TS
2000 AUII SE ute IL6
MO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2006, 09:11 PM   #47
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiery
You missed my point totally... I was getting at the full faced or not full faced helmets etc.. meaning that the ones for track don't have to be like a motorbike helmet.... Meaning that maybe the ones for track aren't quite as expensive as ones needed for riding a motorbike!!
That was the point I tried to make!!!
fiery...are your events CAMS sanctioned..if so then the CAMS rules apply for helmets.

If not well............you know the rest.

The more I know ppl the more I love my DOGS.
2011 SY Territory Limited Edition TS
2000 AUII SE ute IL6
MO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2006, 09:14 PM   #48
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MO
OK my final word...
Whoa, you told a fib!.... almost your final word maybe? :
Old 27-08-2006, 09:39 PM   #49
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

lets keep the discussion about helmets.

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2006, 04:40 AM   #50
outback_ute
Ute Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

Fiery the motorbike helmets are cheap! You could pay as little as $100 for a full face helmet, although I believe it is worthwhile spending a little extra for a better grade of helmet than one that "just" passes the Australian Standards. That's what I did for use at the drags etc, mine is a full-face that cost $180 or $200. If I was going to do more competitive stuff on the racetrack I would be getting a "proper" racing helmet and would look seriously at the Hans device, given that if the hit is hard enough it is possible to headbutt the steering wheel even when wearing a full harness.
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2006, 12:38 PM   #51
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As said before, to save 100-200 bucks by purchasing a second hand helmet is dangerous as you don't know its internal integrity and its capacity to save your brain from a pummelling. You can't place a price on your life or the condition of your brain, which adversely will affect your quality of life. Being a veggie isn't fun!

Buy a new helmet. Sure, it may not be cheap, but at least you'll be on the road confident that should you have an accident, your brain won't end up being pickled.

I think that's all that needs to be said.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2006, 12:58 PM   #52
Mark s
1.3 Litre Suzuki power

There are plenty of bike shops around that have sales on Helmets. All new helmets in Australia have to meet the Australian standards and have the approved sticker attached.

As I ride I brought a Suomy Spec 1 R which cost me 750 bucks. I tried on a variety of helmets and found for my head shape the Suomy and Shoei where the 2 helmets which were firm, but comfortable.

You could try websites like HERE Check the red hot specials or you can go further and check the road apparel for the whole range of helmets.

I would not buy a helmet without trying it on first. Imagine buying a helmet, it's tight and uncomfortable and you have to spend a day on the track. Will you be able to concentrate 100% with the helmet is uncomfortable.

EF 4lt 1995 in Green on LPG. To and from work hack.

XY Fairmont 1971 in Bronze Wine, 302, Top Loader, 9" Still trying to find out if she is a GS or plain jane Monty.

Mustang 1966 coupe, Silver frost, A code, C4, factory bench seat, A/C, P/S rally pac, AM radio with 8 track. Awaiting funds for resto.

K6 Hayabusa....Dead Stock and why would one need to spend thousands on mods.................
Mark s is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post