Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 25-08-2006, 01:25 PM   #1
DanielXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Ford on Ford: 'We're looking at radical changes'

Ford on Ford: 'We're looking at radical changes'
CEO says he is seeking alliances but wants family to stay in control

Fellas you have to check out this link:
http://msnbc.msn.com/id/14499465/

Its a long article, so I wont paste it here. There is also a very interesting video link off the article called "How to fix Ford".

My take on this article.

Bill Ford Jnr is softening up the financial markets and his own employees for some radical sell offs and staff redundancies - way beyond what has already been announced.

Ford will look very seriously at any other manufacturer who can help Ford survive.

Fords US vehicle (as opposed to trucks) range is a disaster. People don't like them and arent buying them. Mustang is a halo car, but it can't save a company the size of Ford on its own. They need new product that excites the North American market badly.

GM gets more then one mention by Bill Ford as a partner to Ford on some projects. Bob Lutz style character is mentioned on the video as someone who Ford needs to save it.

GM is also mentioned on the video because they "at least have exciting product due out in 2008". Of course a big part of that is the Zeta platform that Holden has been so involved with. Thats good news for our local car industry.

The final thoughts I have are that this opens a huge opportunity for the Falcon to finally make it back to North America after forty odd years. A lot of the "not made here" arguments that Ford USA have always put up, will crumble now that the president of Ford has laid the cards on the table. Orion would have to be a candidate for export and possibly manufacture in the US, just like the Commodore/Zeta is, as its a quick way to get some new product and from what is rumoured, is being tooled up for left and right hand production anyway.

Alternatively and I hope this doesnt come to pass, Ford US will resist taking on Falcon and Territory and will strip the local Ford of all viable assets, along with any of the other satellite operations around the world, in the hope of propping up the parent company. Here's hoping that doesnt happen.

Whatever the case, you just don't give interviews like this one to the market, unless you are planning BIG changes. It should be an interesting next couple of years.

Daniel

DanielXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2006, 02:16 PM   #2
WASP
Whipple Induced

So in summary the 'experts' think that the US Ford product line is too conservative and unexciting and they need to get someone like Lutz to inject some new innovation and excitement.

Ford have been too conservative for years now, even in Australia. Hopefully this will come as an eye opener for Ford Australia, which has done much better excitement wise but still has the tendancy so slip back into conservative mode.
Old 26-08-2006, 12:14 AM   #3
MeestaNob!
XR5T - Sea Grey.

There are just too many car manufacturers in North America and at least 1/4 of them have to go.

Ford already have a car thats doing well in the Fusion and they're still paddling upstream.

They need to ditch the 'only americans know what americans want' mentality and get some good foreign cars in the joint. They need Falcon and Focus now. It will never ever happen though.
MeestaNob! is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2006, 12:59 AM   #4
rushing on acid

easy fix for mr ford jnr and its only across the pacific ocean

START SELLING AUSSIE FORDS IN AMERICA! FORGET THE RUBBISH THEY HAVE (EXCEPT THE STANG).
rushing on acid is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2006, 01:14 AM   #5
16wantsI6
iRegular crossmember

yeah what is that crown victoria? is that supposed to be there version of the falcon? if so its so old tech its not funny.

5 spd manual
2 1/2" manta S/S exhaust
After market alpine/soundstream stereo

18" tyhpoons
superlows waiting to go in....
spoilerless
16wantsI6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2006, 03:44 AM   #6
Smoked
Burnin Rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by rushing on acid
easy fix for mr ford jnr and its only across the pacific ocean

START SELLING AUSSIE FORDS IN AMERICA! FORGET THE RUBBISH THEY HAVE (EXCEPT THE STANG).
Alot of american and english for that matter are suprised when they come here by the type of cars we have.

Infact, Aus has more V8's per capita then USA, so our crs over there with the muscle image would probably sell a treat.
***Coming Soon: Clear Side Repeaters***
Quote:
Originally Posted by The-ShowStoPPa
...dont get me wrong this 3.8v6 is pretty special, it does come with the popular shake rattle and roll option and the auto compliments this with the ever popular snap crackle and pop feature
Smoked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2006, 04:42 AM   #7
owl

Ford should re-learn old lessons about quality .look at the success of Toyoto and BMW .not producing well engineered and consistant quality vechicles costs manufactures dearly both in sales and warranty .the auto building business is very competitive and to be honest when you look at what goes in to a making a car i think there bloody cheap
owl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2006, 07:33 AM   #8
DRU842
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ford US really need to learn from their off-shore divisons & subsidaries; most of whom are quite profitable now; OZ included. Market focus & quality products are the way forward.
2017 Mustang Lightening Blue, Cobb Intercooler, CAI, AccessPort, Turbo Blanket & V2 Exhaust, Mishimoto Down-Pipe & Overflow Tank, GFB DV+, Custom CRD Tune. Ford Performance Short Throw Shifter & Strut Brace. DBA T3 Brakes & Pads. Braided Brake Lines. H&R Coilovers. Anderson CF Track Pack Spoiler & Tailgate Panel. Blue CF/Leather Steering Wheel.
DRU842 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2006, 08:32 AM   #9
quest

The Mustang sells great here... but...they need something else that appeals to the truck crazy market.
The FPV "Pursuit" seems to be a good candidate only GM has a lock on that name here
Somehow the name " SVT Ranchero" just doesn't cut it so what else could they call it?
quest is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2006, 08:47 AM   #10
Polyal
The 'Stihl' Man
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by quest
Somehow the name " SVT Ranchero" just doesn't cut it so what else could they call it?
HAHAHA

That does sound a bit weird, bit to Texas perhaps....

There have been alot of LHD articles of late, so who knows, at very leats perhaps the platform could be shared with the US for their Crown Vics etc etc.

As long as we keep our shells, they can style there how they like, the last thing I want to see if a "global car".

Global platforms make sense, but IMO body design needs to stay local.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2006, 09:10 AM   #11
Paxton
Cobblers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
HAHAHA

That does sound a bit weird, bit to Texas perhaps....

There have been alot of LHD articles of late, so who knows, at very leats perhaps the platform could be shared with the US for their Crown Vics etc etc.

As long as we keep our shells, they can style there how they like, the last thing I want to see if a "global car".

Global platforms make sense, but IMO body design needs to stay local.
So true. The AU was the epitome of that - Taurus with a hint of Square.

The Falcon won't be sold in the USA. Neither will the Territory. The Seppos are too stuck in their "NMH" or Not Made Here mentality, and the sad truth is, that if the Falcon went to the USA, they would sell like Hotcakes, ONLY if they don't play with the design. If they touch our Falcon, and make us follow suit, it is Game Over Man!
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2006, 10:31 AM   #12
BlueRaven
Dual O2 sensors

I think America, from what i've heard, has been making **** cars for too long, whilst also importing japanese and european cars that have better quality.

A similar thing happened here and you know what we did? We built better ****ing cars.
Old 26-08-2006, 10:36 AM   #13
birdman941
Boss equipped 2004 Cobra

As an American, and seeing what you folks have,
we NEED the Australian Fords here in the US.
Especially the Pursuits.
Everyone who I show pics of them to loves them.
404 HP
387 lb./ft. torque NA

301Kw/525 Nm. at the wheels
Need parts from the States? PM me
Happy to help
birdman941 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2006, 10:49 AM   #14
Dazza XLT
Back in a Ford

I showed my BA to some Americans last year.... All they could say was "We want one"
They couldn't get over it! Kept calling it a pick-up too.
Slowly but surely, I trained them to say Ute! :
Old 26-08-2006, 11:05 AM   #15
Dazza XLT
Back in a Ford

How did Ford get into its current financial mess? * 2949 responses

Car designs are boring
16%

Quality is not Job One
18%

Too many SUVs and trucks, not enough small, mid-sized cars
34%

Promised workers more than they could deliver
10%

Too many tired brands
8.7%

The company is too big and bureaucratic
13%
Old 26-08-2006, 03:10 PM   #16
Iphido
Guy that posts stuff

50%+ Over capacity. Low margins. Crap products. Lack of direction.

I can see how a falcon based product would do wonders. As SWB and LWB rwd sedans and smaller "pickup".

Cheaper to make, higher profit margins, better product, higher flexability. Pickups not selling? No worries, just make more sedans. SUV going great, just make more territories.

Australia does more with one automotive plant than the US does with 10. They should have a few FWD plants, a Few RWD plants and a few Truck plants. Each plant makes several vechicals off one platform.

Not only that but the low cost RWD sedan market is one the Japs and koreans have not been able to tap.
Iphido is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2006, 03:58 PM   #17
ondori
Addicted User

Simple steps
1 let loose with the Euro models in America its easy start. and bring the s-max here.
2 World wide Model rangers
3 optional, world domination (after a merger with Toyota, Hyundai or something late 2020)

Bold Moves anyone, please, maybe.
Old 26-08-2006, 04:42 PM   #18
parawolf
beep beep

Bold move? Falcon to be re-produced in China and exported to USA and Australia in 2010. All engineering data done in Australia for all markets however the majority of the product will be manufactured in one of the *MANY* upcoming Ford-Mazda-Chinese Government factories.
Old 29-08-2006, 09:47 AM   #19
Ohio XB
Compulsive Hobbiest

There is a buzz at Ford (at the plant level) that the Falcon could be headed for the US market. I certainly hope so, especially having heard about the LHD models going into production. I think it would sell at a better price if it were produced here, but I am not sure Ford would be willing to tool a plant to do that.

The US was the only country that I know of that did not get the redesigned Focus. Ford's explanation for that is the converting of manufacturing methods (how some parts are actually executed) and the converting for meeting US standards for automobile safety and manufacturing technique. Sometimes certain parts are not even made of the same material between Europe/Asia and the US so an equivalent has to be engineered. Crash test standards are also different. Anyways Ford felt it was wiser to pass on revamping the US Focus and, again, letting it die on the vine, whether intentional or not the outcome is the same. It will fall behind the competition.

Ford is very excited about the Mustang, and they should be....it's the only exciting car they have. I feel they are trying to ride it as hard as they can to help bring in some revenue, so hard they are lacking giving attention in other areas.

The Fusion line of cars is a nice car, or rather a nice Ford, compared to what they have been trying to sell to the public. My wife's Aunt has a 4 cylinder automatic Milan (Mercury version of Fusion) and it is one of the nicest Fords I have been in in a long time. It even has very ample power, but the engine is loud when it revs and the car doesn't feel as solid as other cars it competes with. Ford is really big on these cars, but just because you did "better" doesn't mean you did "good enough". At least it is progress. Personally I would buy one.

It has been said many times that Ford has made money in spite of itself. Now it isn't even making money accidently anymore. The market has changed so much, and Ford has got so bland and concerned with bean counters making the decisions, that they are in probably the deepest hole they have ever been in. Now that the grave digger is throwing the dirt on the body that is Ford at the bottom of the hole it is time to change or die. I don't have a degree in business so I may not know, but it seems like those with those degrees in the company couldn't do their job. I've done mine, but I can't counter their actions.

Chrysler was in worse shape on 1978-79 than Ford is now so anything is possible. I have a lot of confidence in Mark Fields. I just hope that he is able to get those that he needs to execute his vision to do what needs to be done.

Steve

My XB Interceptor project

Wife's 1966 Mustang

My Artworks and Creative Projects Site
Oil Paintings, Airbrushing, Metal Sculpture,
Custom Cars, Replica Movie Props, Videos,
and more!
Ohio XB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2006, 09:53 AM   #20
Abacus
Life's a Gas

If Ford were to sell the Falcon in the US they would have to tool up a plant over there. Ford Australia simply doesn’t have the manufacturing capacity to export a mainstream vehicle to the US in quantities that would make any meaningful difference to Ford US’s financial position.

[Edit] A bigger problem than retooling an assembly plant would probably be setting up an engine plant. Ford Australia's I6 is unique in the Ford world. They would probably have too look at adapting a V6 for it.

Last edited by Abacus; 29-08-2006 at 10:08 AM.
Abacus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2006, 10:02 AM   #21
Abacus
Life's a Gas

These links have been reposted several times, but they are on topic and a good read:

http://www.caranddriver.com/features...-ghia-awd.html

http://www.caranddriver.com/specialt...xr6-turbo.html
Abacus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2006, 11:13 AM   #22
JG66ME
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Great tech articles and assistance to all in the Classics arena. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by quest
The Mustang sells great here... but...they need something else that appeals to the truck crazy market.
The FPV "Pursuit" seems to be a good candidate only GM has a lock on that name here
Funny you should mention it though, the Aussie XR,XT,XW,XY, XA and XB utes where all sold in South Africa as the Ranchero.

Steve
JG66ME is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2006, 01:29 PM   #23
crYnOid

Radical all right!

from freep.com

Quote:
The revelation of Nasser's interest came the same day Robert E. Rubin, the former U.S. Treasury secretary and current chairman of Citigroup Inc.'s executive committee, resigned from Ford's board.

Rubin cited a possible conflict of interest for the move. If Ford is going to sell pieces of the business or go private, Citigroup might like to handle those deals without being scrutinized and second-guessed.
crYnOid is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post