Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 29-08-2006, 04:23 PM   #1
Macostar

Default XR5 turbo waiting list

hey guys just wondering if any of you guys know how long it takes to pick up an xr5 turbo from dealers ?

ive heard a 1 year wait

Macostar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2006, 05:40 PM   #2
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Easily 6-12 months. The most they can get is 40 a month, they are selling like hotcakes in Europe and we were only allowed a small allocation. They probably could have sold 4 or 5 times that a month easily if they could get them.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2006, 05:58 PM   #3
AC
Saving for a Jet Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
Easily 6-12 months. The most they can get is 40 a month, they are selling like hotcakes in Europe and we were only allowed a small allocation. They probably could have sold 4 or 5 times that a month easily if they could get them.
I heard something similar from a dealer, 2 months ago they said the wait was into March 07.
We are only getting allocated a small amount... As before mentioned
AC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2006, 07:48 PM   #4
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

He'll tell you the 12 month story untill you show you are really interested by putting up ya bucks then it will be a lot less. At the moment dealers can afford to do that with the small supply.
Old 29-08-2006, 08:48 PM   #5
AC
Saving for a Jet Car

I think you need to re-evaluate and think about what you just said.

There is no "12month story" its fact.
They can only supply one car per two dealers per month at this stage, until Ford UK or where ever they make them ramps up the production or the want for them in Europe falls off a bit.

Also, what sense is there in the "At the moment dealers can afford to do that with the small supply" comment. Any business selling anything that has a huge demand for a product will want to supply as much as possible and not let thier competitors take all the sales. No business can afford not to do productive business.
Old 29-08-2006, 09:00 PM   #6
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Theres a new silver one in NSW somewhere, for $46,000 you really have to question whether they are worth it.

Its really sad how some dealers treat their customers, there would be dealers around that would have cars coming in within a few months but at the end of the day can you trust any of them?

I buy a fair few Toyota Hilux's and im just about to give a certain QLD Toyota dealer the **** as they tell me they can supply within a certain time period then it gets out to 2 - 3 months. I signed the order on the latest one I bought a week or so ago subject to them delivering it within 2 weeks of that date and guess what, the cars ready to be picked up! If i hadn't stipulated it woud have been six weeks tho.

They are a hard car to get, but unless the dealers really straight with you I wouldn't be signing up as you maybe waiting for 6 - 12 months as some have said.
2024.50 Mustang Darkhorse 6M Blue Ember + Appearance pack ETA Jan 25.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2006, 10:00 PM   #7
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

I think that there is an orange one in the new car lot up here in the Alice. I can have a look if you want.
Old 29-08-2006, 10:31 PM   #8
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

I hope FPV are sitting up and taking notice. All they'd have to do is intercept a few LX's off the ship and spruce them up.

Lukeyson
Luke Plaizier is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2006, 10:39 PM   #9
2kool4u

Location: I live in my own little world, but it's alright, the people know me here

just saw one of these in town (cairns) today, first one I've seen in the flesh. I can understand why there's such high demand for them
Old 29-08-2006, 10:49 PM   #10
Aeron
DJR Fan

Are we ever going to get the 3door? I saw one at Crift when i was in England and they hot hot hot...

EC 1:51.283
WP 1:10.190

Me Drifting on the Skid Pan **Video**
Aeron is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2006, 10:53 PM   #11
XR6Gal
Just Super Happy now :)

I went in & enquired about one, wanted to take a test drive to decide if I wanted to actually get one, but was told that I had to put down a deposit before I took it for a test drive...i was like...uh no! Then I was told that the wait is unitl March at the earliest!!! But then I went to another dealer & they said they had some coming in in September :

PhantomBA XR6 (Sold), now a VW owner (don't hold it against me )

& also a CM Valiant Wagon, gotta love the old Val's
see her progress here
NOW SOLD :( but now have a
Honda CBR250 Motorbike
XR6Gal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2006, 02:25 AM   #12
Marshy79

Basically if you shop around you can have one (if lucky) in roughly three months.

But these times seem to be getting pushed further and further back.

I was lucky and only had to wait 5 weeks for mine.
Marshy79 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2006, 03:57 PM   #13
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Dont really thiunk they are worth the wait myself but each to their own
Old 30-08-2006, 04:44 PM   #14
Focussed
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i spoke to my dealer up here in darwin, frost ford. they reckon its a 9 month wait for them. they said they had 2 come in earlier on the year & they were sold before they arrived!
he reckons ford a only bringing in 40 per month which obviously isnt enough to cope with the demand.
Focussed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2006, 04:50 PM   #15
Marshy79

Focussed....

The issue is yes there is only so many coming into Aussie at one time. And each dealer has a set number of cars he can have per year.

Now... which dealer cam have what cars?
Well quite simply the dealers that have sold the most Focus's in the past will get to sell more XR5's.

So if you call around you can find a dealer that gets more cars allocated and you will have one quicker.
In the beginning there were country dealers with cars just sitting on their showroom floor, but you'll struggle to find on of those now.

Darwin.... yeah I dunno how many you'd be getting up there but definately the wait time is shorter here in Victoria.

I personally coudnt handle a long wait on a car. It feels like just handing money over for no reason. You should be loving that impulse rush and buying a new flashy car and enjoying it straight away.
Old 30-08-2006, 05:30 PM   #16
cArSiK
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

there is three or four second hand ones on carsales that are quite cheap!
cArSiK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2006, 10:21 PM   #17
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndOwner
I think you need to re-evaluate and think about what you just said.

There is no "12month story" its fact.
They can only supply one car per two dealers per month at this stage, until Ford UK or where ever they make them ramps up the production or the want for them in Europe falls off a bit.

Also, what sense is there in the "At the moment dealers can afford to do that with the small supply" comment. Any business selling anything that has a huge demand for a product will want to supply as much as possible and not let thier competitors take all the sales. No business can afford not to do productive business.
No, and after reading some of these posts I think I've been vindicated. I don't doubt that they want to sell as many as possible but they also don't want every boy racer taking them for "test drives" just for the hell of it. If you are serious about it then you can either believe the salesman BS or look a bit further and have one in a much shorter period like 5 weeks.
Old 31-08-2006, 05:51 AM   #18
Marshy79

You'd be very lucky to get a 5 week wait these days.

It takes 5 weeks once the car is built and has just got on the ship to come to Aus.
I got mine in 5 weeks as I got a hot tip of someone cancelling their order when the car just got on the boat. (they found one in the flesh and bought that)

Most likely wait would be 3 months for a new one at the moment. Thats like best case scenario.

Buuuuuuuuuut!

I know a few guys that have been waiting for their XR5's have been looking heavily at the MPS now. So if you are lucky you could pick up a cancelled order from someone else.
Old 31-08-2006, 06:19 AM   #19
AU-MUSTD
Flat floor shifter

Much rather the mps and no waiting time. Whats the price difference between them??? With the mazda engine it'll enialate the focus which would hurt a few boy racer ego's
AU-MUSTD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2006, 06:35 AM   #20
sexy_xr6
xr lover

They are by order only. If you want one you pay a $1000.00 deposit, they will get one in for a test drive and if you don't like the drive you get all your deposit back.
sexy_xr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2006, 07:35 AM   #21
Ultimate
Pimp Daddy Pimp Pimp

Location: Queensland Events Assistant Co-Ordinator. Fiery's Little Helper

Well the worst thing about these cars is there freaking blinkers are on the left hand side of the car. It ****ed me of big time, every corner i drove i put the flaming windscreen wiper on
---------------------------------------------------
AFF Merchandise

Excellent Purchases With: AFF Team, Rooster, Russ
Ultimate is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2006, 09:03 AM   #22
Focussed
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate
Well the worst thing about these cars is there freaking blinkers are on the left hand side of the car. It ****ed me of big time, every corner i drove i put the flaming windscreen wiper on
You get used to it. We own a '06 Focus Zetec & took me a couple of weeks to get used to it. Now its second nature. When I drive the company car, which has the blinkers on the right side, I get confused. But you definitely get used to it.
Focussed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2006, 09:07 AM   #23
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU-MUSTD
Much rather the mps and no waiting time. Whats the price difference between them??? With the mazda engine it'll enialate the focus which would hurt a few boy racer ego's
My brother-in-law just bought an MPS - waited a whole 3 days - **** they are one quick car, put the foot down and it just flies like no other stock car I have been in. Not sure on fuel usage but surely a turbo 4 going to be better on the juice that a turbo 5 as well?

Though I must say the mps has been beaten with the ugly stick.
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2006, 10:29 AM   #24
AC
Saving for a Jet Car

You guys should take a look at Top Gear episode 08X06.
They did a comparo of the Mondeo ST220 vs Mazda MPS vs Vectra.

They rated the MPS highly, pity they didnt have a XR5T instead of the Mondeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by deesun
No, and after reading some of these posts I think I've been vindicated.
Whatever,
I've heard it from more than one person at Ford.
I think ill believe what i hear from someone who works for the company and ive known for many many years.
Old 31-08-2006, 02:45 PM   #25
Marshy79

Real life figures have shown an XR5 beating an MPS down the dragstrip recently.

Aparently the computer controls too much in an MPS trying to handle all that torque steering.

BUT!
I personally dont see why the XR5 should be beating an MPS down the drag strip still even with the computer (ESP) Interveining too much. I think the MPS driver just wasnt having a good day.

On the topic of "no waiting list for an MPS"... you can also haggle with Mazda on the price of them as well and maybe get a few things thrown in with the car. The XR5 you get totally shafted with Ford selling them way over RRP at the moment.
The MPS is more expensive than the XR5 but you do get cruise and something else (i forget) so it prob covers the extra cost.

I agree with the MPS being one ugly bugger too.
Old 31-08-2006, 03:09 PM   #26
ADSXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin
My brother-in-law just bought an MPS - waited a whole 3 days - **** they are one quick car, put the foot down and it just flies like no other stock car I have been in. Not sure on fuel usage but surely a turbo 4 going to be better on the juice that a turbo 5 as well?
You are right, they are very sharp.

One tried to race me on the weekend from a set of lights in Wollongong, I didn't entertain the idea as it would only proved I am as stupid as they are!
Old 31-08-2006, 03:55 PM   #27
marcosambrose

Quote:
Not sure on fuel usage but surely a turbo 4 going to be better on the juice that a turbo 5 as well?
The MPS does 10.0L per 100km
The XR5 does 9.3 L per 100km.

both mixed cycle, both taken from company websites.

Quote:
Though I must say the mps has been beaten with the ugly stick.
10-4 on that one, Mazda's niche styling is getting very sour, especially the mazda 2 and 3.
marcosambrose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2006, 04:15 PM   #28
Marshy79

Real life figures on the XR5 fuel consumption:

The odd person is getting 8L...

But realistically the figure is around 10L.

Mines been sitting on 12L per 100 (and thats not thrashing it)

In theory the 5cyl should be better on fuel. The engine is so insanely torquey you just pop it in 6th everwhere you go. Drive it at stupidly low revs. I myself obviously dont do that tho.
Old 31-08-2006, 04:36 PM   #29
tickin
FPV-Tickford Club of NSW

my sister has one on order.... ordered about 3 months ago... should be here middle(ish) of october.... hopefully...
tickin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post