Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 03-09-2006, 12:01 PM   #1
El_Poochino

Default Buying an imported vehicle

Hi

Just a question, I am looking at a car that has been imported from Japan. It was build in 1988. Just wondering what I need to register it? It is currently registered in Australia.

Thanks.

El_Poochino is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2006, 12:52 PM   #2
BPXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If its currently registered then its been complied I would imagine, check the details with the RTA. When I had a hard on for a Porsche 928 years ago I had to get side intrusion and other enhancements to meet certain ADR's. The compliance added serious $$$ to the price tag.

I also looked at importing a 94 Corvette when I was 21. The insurance on a powerful import made me change my mind. $5000+ per year was enough to turn me back to some home grown muscle.
BPXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2006, 04:02 PM   #3
T_Terror
The Guy You Love To Hate

It will be the same as any other car in Australia to register.

Just get a roadworthy certificate and book it in for rego.
T_Terror is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2006, 05:18 PM   #4
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

If it has been out of rego for more than 3 months (from memory) it will need a blue slip.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2006, 05:25 PM   #5
VSSII

When was it imported to Australia? If it was 15 years old or more the restrictions would have been much more relaxed. Don't muck about getting 3rd hand information. Go straight to the RTA they have tonnes of info on these matters.

Caveat Emptor
VSSII is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2006, 05:27 PM   #6
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

But seeing as the vehicle has already been complied and register in Australia ... it's just a case of going for rego like a normal vehicle.

The only issue you will have is if "said" vehicle was registered in Vic or QLD and then moved to NSW and registered ... then there's more involved in getting it registered through the RTA.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2006, 06:44 PM   #7
El_Poochino

Thanks guys, starting to make more sense.

The current owner didn't import the vehicle, nor did the owner he brought it off, probally the one before. If I do get it I want to swap the rego from its current NSW to VIC, the car still has rego till november.

So I just need a RWC?
Old 04-09-2006, 12:01 AM   #8
T_Terror
The Guy You Love To Hate

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Poochino
Thanks guys, starting to make more sense.

The current owner didn't import the vehicle, nor did the owner he brought it off, probally the one before. If I do get it I want to swap the rego from its current NSW to VIC, the car still has rego till november.

So I just need a RWC?

correct. Dont worry about compliancing and other crap its just like any other car in australia once its already been registered.
T_Terror is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2006, 09:25 AM   #9
El_Poochino

Thanks.

Just one more question, I checked with RTA about the transfer of the rego and they said the 14 day period dosen't apply as I am transfering it over to Vic. It has me confused as the chick at the RTA wasn't thrilled, or really wanted to answer my questions.
Old 04-09-2006, 10:04 AM   #10
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Don't tell the RTA too much.. Just get it registered.. There is a fed gov dept that STOPS vehicles at the ports if paperwork is not correct, trust me I know!!!...It should have an Austrailian "compliance" plate fitted ???
But anyway don't confuse RTA with stuff they don't want to know...
Blue slip and you are away....
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2006, 10:09 AM   #11
GreenMachine
Mopar/No Car

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Sensational write up about drum brakes. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebxr8240
But anyway don't confuse RTA with stuff they don't want to know...
Best advice EVER.

'72 Plymouth Scamp
'80 Courier
'13 Kawasaki ZX14-R
'13 Berlina
'92 Suzuki DR650

If you don't fight - You lose
GreenMachine is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2006, 10:22 AM   #12
VSSII

If the vehicle complied with the RTA 15 year rule it DOES NOT need a compliance plate fitted.
Old 04-09-2006, 01:41 PM   #13
El_Poochino

You'll have to bear with me, it's slowly sinking in.

Because the previous owner imported and made the car compliant with ADR to get it registered I don't have to worry about it. As far as I am concerned it works just like an Australian built car? I just need a recipt, get a RWC and pay rego, stamp duty and get my plates and stickers.

The car is currently registered in NSW. I want to register it in Victoria. Do I need to transfer it over within 14 days of the purchase date? Or can it be transfered over any time before the rego expires? Or do I have to get rid of the NSW rego so the car becomes unregistered, get an unregistered car permit and take it to get a new rego in Vic? I asked the RTA what I need to do to buy a NSW registered car and transfer it over to Victoria registration and they told me the 14 day transfer period dosen't apply as I want to transfer the rego over to Vic.

I'm confused at the transfer part :sm_drool:
Old 04-09-2006, 01:48 PM   #14
Polyal
The 'Stihl' Man
Donating Member2

Ok. Firstly, ll you need to do is get it RWC and pay for the rego, then you are free.

As for how to swap the NSW rego over, you should be able to take it to VicRoads, they refund you whats left on that rego and then you just pay for 12 months.

But I would bet on it that they will charge you for it, because thats what they do; charge you for making any kind of effort.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2006, 04:13 PM   #15
El_Poochino

OK thanks guys. Makes sense now. But if vicroads knock me back I'll run back here crying like a little girl :nutsycuck
Old 06-09-2006, 11:28 AM   #16
VSSII

If you were to stay in NSW with the car you'd have 14 days but technically if you move interstate you have 1 day to transfer the rego.
Old 06-09-2006, 12:08 PM   #17
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There's a fair bit of discussion of the pros and cons of imported second hand cars from Japan in the 'Dog and Lemon Guide' (available newsagents). It happens a lot in NZ. Worth a check.
new2ford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2006, 01:31 PM   #18
exrtnz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k
If it has been out of rego for more than 3 months (from memory) it will need a blue slip.

what about if its L/H drive , does it have to be converted, and its a recent model.
exrtnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2006, 08:13 PM   #19
El_Poochino

I know with the LHD if it is a certain number of years old it dosen't need to be converted to register. Remember cause there was an artical in the paper awhile ago about a guy holding out to register his deloran with it still in LHD conviguration.

Just wondering if there is anything else I can do. I'm gonna have a look at the car, get a reg check and a NRMA inspection before deciding. Is that about all I can do to make sure the car is on the up and up?

VSSII, what do you mean? I thought I had no limit on time (within reason) to get the car registered in Vic.

Don't know if this helps but I have a Victoria licence and address, but I'm in NSW for study. And I want the car registered in Vic, but it is currently registered in NSW and dosen't expire until November.