Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 12-09-2006, 01:46 PM   #1
janek
Ripping it up

Default Looking for a tow machine.

Just as the title says. Im starting to get more seriously into boating, having recently upgraded to an 18' boat with a 175 evinrude. This animal is the limit of what i would tow with my car, and even so, it uses up HUGE amounts of juice moving it.

So, the time is coming to look to invest in a tow vehicle. At the moment, i cant afford brand new, so 2nd/3rd/11th hand will have to do.

I am, however, chasing a 4wd. Was thinking explorer/escape, but am open to suggestions.

Cheaper is better, of course!

Have had a look at Mazdas range, and none of them take my fancy... I am a big fan of the mid 80's Patrols- theyre unbreakable, but use too much fuel.

Summer is coming, and going by last years stats, there will be minimum of 10,000km towing distance. I dont want to root out my falcon.

janek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 02:02 PM   #2
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If you want something for towing, you can't go past the tourque of a diesel. It'll also cost a bit less in petrol due to the efficiency of diesel engines.

As a comparison, my auto EL Falcon has a towing capacity of around 1600kgs.
My 2.0L Manual Turbo Diesel Peugeot 307 has a towing capacity of 1400kgs.
Half the engine size, 200kgs difference in the towing capacity.
Old 13-09-2006, 04:29 PM   #3
VSSII

65 or 75 Series diesel Landcruisers are cheap and cheerful. And you can't kill 'em. But as a result they will always cost a little more than Patrols
VSSII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2006, 04:32 PM   #4
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

I just towed my TS50 on a tandem to Bendigo and Back, some decent rises and declines on that stretch of road, and the Territory kept driving along nicely at 100ks.

Had to look back once or twice thinking the trailer had dropped of back end the ride was that smooth and effortless.

A 2nd hand AWD should be around $25 - 30k, but i stand corrected
Laminge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2006, 05:22 PM   #5
Fairlane
V8 Powaah

80s F-250 on LPG.

Otherwise a Diesel 80 series Landcruiser. My old man used to tow a 24" Mustang cruiser with a 60 series Landcruiser and it did it easy.

XF S pack Sedan- AU 302 Windsor, T5, 2.77 LSD, Many Mods
Fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2006, 05:30 PM   #6
LUXO_8
windsor user

thought about using an old fairlane (ie ZH)??

they're cheap enough, V8, most are on gas and are a weapon of a tow car....

just another to think about:P
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2006, 05:30 PM   #7
StookEB

I agree a F-250 on gas, there's a local fisherman who tows old wooden diesel boats with it, it's never broken down.
StookEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2006, 05:35 PM   #8
tickford2001
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i tow my race car everywhere on a GQ patrol. I picked the patrol because it was cheap, unbreakable, and its on gas so its pretty good to run as well. I can also load up the team, some gear and still have room for the esky :hihi:

another mate has just started towing his around with an old F100 with 351 on gas, also seems to tow very well, but no room for extra people etc.

your choice really depends on how much you want to spend as well
Old 13-09-2006, 05:47 PM   #9
Dezza
Parts bin special

I'd go 4WD because of the extra traction you can get on sand (you can also back up further into the water making it easier to get the boat on and off the trailer). My dad uses his 89' Rodeo Diesel 4WD to tow the boat. It's non-turbo so it struggles a fair bit up hills, but it's reliable and saves getting bogged. I'd go a mid-90s 4WD twincab ute. I'd probably go either the Nissan Navara or Mitsubishi Triton. Both of them have plenty of torque and aren't as big and heavy as Patrol or Landcruiser.

Daily 2014 SZII Territory diesel - basic runabout

Previous Cars 1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - Tickford engine, 5 speed, SVO wheels, bodykit, much more
2000 AUII Fairmont - XR wheels, Ghia interior
2010 FG XR50T ute - XR8 bonnet, Streetfighter intake
Dezza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2006, 05:54 PM   #10
northey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by janek
Just as the title says. Im starting to get more seriously into boating, having recently upgraded to an 18' boat with a 175 evinrude. This animal is the limit of what i would tow with my car, and even so, it uses up HUGE amounts of juice moving it.
Is it a ski boat or a pleasure craft? What weight?
Turbo diesel is the go. Later model Patrol with 4.2 litre engine if you can afford it. Any petrol car I can think of uses too much fuel.
Manual box also gives the advantage of using gears to brake.
northey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2006, 07:06 PM   #11
Twinpiston
Finally rollin on 20's

If you can find one, a 3.0 diesel patrol, better on the gas and more torque.
K&N, F6 Snorkel, Debung, 20" Enix Turbine in Gunmetal, 7 seat rear springs.
Twinpiston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2006, 07:13 PM   #12
glenneaux

A range rover or disco with 5speed manual and worked v8

mm Ritter or Vitesse developements...
glenneaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2006, 07:46 PM   #13
Green X
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

“If you can find one, a 3.0 diesel patrol, better on the gas and more torque.”

Sorry mate but defiantly NO, these things are a time bomb waiting to go off, they have a habit of burning a hole in Piston no4 and a host of other engine related problems Ranging from MAF sensor to Turbo.

The best bet would be a GQ Nissan patrol 4.2 diesel< Turbo if you can get it. These things are unbreakable and there LSD is the best in the business, The NA diesel is nothing spectacular as with most old stile NA diesels but it will slug away all day every day the hole engine and driveline is ********* bullet proof.

A explorer would do the Job but would be thirsty when towing the boat, but would pull the boat **** easy, I would recommend fitting some Aftermarket rear springs or Firestone airbags to the existing ones as they are to soft for towing IMO. I have custom made HD Lovells on mine as I 4WD the thing.

Cheers.
Green X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2006, 08:26 PM   #14
460cixy
burn out king

turbo diesels defenders and discos are around 10.5k now and rated to tow 2ton with trailer brakes and dispite what the jappers say there no as much of a pos as thay would have you think. im about to buy a 110 defender ute and as far as im concerned far better value than a patrol or cruiser 4wheel disk brakes constant 4wd turbo diesel that gets around 800 to 900k out of a tank of diesel coil springs all round cheaper spares than toyota or nissan bigger pay load and towing capacity around the same payload as diesel f350 and cheaper than the toyota or nissan of the same year with drum brakes part time 4wd and leaf springs
Old 13-09-2006, 10:23 PM   #15
apolloxbgt
cross breeder

The best i've used to tow with is a turbo diesel 80 series cruiser,I've towed cars on trailers all over the place and the only way you"ll better one of these is with a truck.
Old 13-09-2006, 10:31 PM   #16
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A mate of mine uses a mid - late 80's patrol on gas to tow his caravans arround and he swares buy it

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2006, 10:41 PM   #17
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laminge
I just towed my TS50 on a tandem to Bendigo and Back, some decent rises and declines on that stretch of road, and the Territory kept driving along nicely at 100ks.

Had to look back once or twice thinking the trailer had dropped of back end the ride was that smooth and effortless.

A 2nd hand AWD should be around $25 - 30k, but i stand corrected
Agreed ... I tow horses arouns all of the time with the Territory ... effortless and comfortable. I have to keep checking the mirrors to see if i am towing something as well ... doesn't even feel like there is another behind it.

Another vehicle is the TD Navara's ... the later model 4WD duel cabs ... they are a pretty strong machine indeed ... quite comfortable as well.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2006, 09:17 AM   #18
S3SR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

you can pick up a 99 model ST Patrol (dont no model) for $13k or less

or just give the f/ghia more power...lol

2002 Ford Falcon AU S3 SR
2006 BF MKI Falcon XR6
2008 Mazda BT50 SDX
2004 BA XR8 ute
2006 AUDI A4 B7
2013 FG II XR6 Ute
2006 Ford Territory TX
2003 Ford Falcon XR8
2009 Territory Turbo Ghia

Current: 2012 Audi A4 B8 2.0T Quattro
S3SR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2006, 10:19 AM   #19
janek
Ripping it up

Quote:
Originally Posted by FALCONSR
you can pick up a 99 model ST Patrol (dont no model) for $13k or less

or just give the f/ghia more power...lol

Lol ive contemplated that many a time, but a sedan towing a boat equal or greater size doesnt quite fit... I know my ghia can handle it, but I'd prefer not to...

As for boat size, at the moment, im at 5.3m, loaded weight approx 900kg. Its only going to get bigger from here. I can see within the next 3 years that being pushed up to about 12-1300kg (approx 6.3m 'glass)

I'm leaning towards the old deisel mongers (the l/c and patrols)... I have seen these things being driven off cliffs and driving back up...

I would LOVE a territory, but somehow, i cant seem to afford one. The only reason i have a boat the size i do, is because i build them. Buy a hull, customise the rest... I end up paying 6k for a boat worth easily double that.

Diesel/Tdiesel patrols or landcruisers seem to be the go.

Now where to find one thats in reasonable cond, rego'd (or roadworthy), and most importantly, CHEAP... Im spewing i missed that one that went for 750 on the forums here... :S

Anyone know of any going for cheap?? If i get a 4wd, she will be doing some 4wding
janek is offline   Reply With Quote