Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

View Poll Results: What you you do with a HEAP of old Motor and Wheels magazines since 1996?
Toss them! Not really worth anything anymore and they take up space 9 11.54%
Keep Them! Possibly worth something one day, your've kept them for this long! 39 50.00%
Ebay Them! Anything sells on that site, might aswell try and get some cash 30 38.46%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-09-2006, 04:58 PM   #1
Polyal
The 'Stihl' Man
Donating Member2

Default Old Motor and Wheels Magazines: What to do?

Right, well I am in the middle of moving hosue at the moment, so I am being ruthless and tossing stuff out left, right and center.

But one thing (actually its a crap load of them) that I am umming and ahhing about is my old wheels and motor magazines. They are not 1960's or anything, but I have had them for ages and for whatever reason I haven't had the heart to throw them out.

Im not sure, well pretty sure, they are not worth that much, but when I was a bit younger I saved up to buy those mag's while in school.

I have every Wheels and Motor magazine since some month in 1996, I cant remember the exact month (I could go look, I think it was the issue with the Dodge Copperhead Concept).

I remember counting how much Ive spent on them and its quite a large number, thats probably another reason why I still have them.

I also have every single issue (except the first, how annoying is that!) of a magazine called "Car News". It didn't last that long, not even 12 months I think, but it was fortnightly and it was awesome. Had alot of spy pics and stuff, like a womans weekly for cars.

Thing is they all fit in one box, so thats not such an issue.

So on one hand they are slightly sentimental, but on the other hand they are just magazines that are pretty worthless now.

What would you guys do?

I know some people want certain issues from time to time, but I dont think I CBF'd splitting it up.

• 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2006, 05:00 PM   #2
Zed7fiddy
Temporary Australian

What i would do is when i moved fromt he terrirtory to qld

is cut out all the technical articles that are of interest to me out of my street machine mags and put them in a folder

may or may not be relevant lol, but id just ditch them bud, too much cost and heart ache involved in moving to worry about that stuff haha!
Zed7fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2006, 05:07 PM   #3
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I keep em for the performance figures in the back. Never know in a few years time what car you may end up buying - good to have the figures to fall back on when researching.
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2006, 05:09 PM   #4
RavenLS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

give them to me!
Old 12-09-2006, 05:10 PM   #5
XRchic
Hello

My Dad had every single Wheels and Motor (including Modern Motor) since their very first issue back in the 1950s I think it was. He had not missed an issue up until 1989. They were all stored in a massive chest in the back shed. The shed burned down in 1989, with the entire collection along with it. He was heartbroken.

The insurance assessor was absolutely blown away by the whole idea of the collection and allowed $3000 on the claim for the chest of mags. That was back in 1989 as I said...

Keep them, is how I voted. One day you will look back on them with wonder, as will your kids and their kids! My Dad wishes he had his very first editions from the 50s to show my son, his 9 year old, car mad grandson!

Jac

: Cobra :
XRchic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2006, 05:46 PM   #6
PepeLePew
Workshop & Performance

Many many moons ago I ran across a neighbour in a similar situation. I was about 14 I think. Anyway, this guy knew I was a young fella and a had a budding interest in cars. He did the WORST thing he could do, gave me the whole bloody stack.

And here I am today, my bank balance still suffering from the seed he sowed.

I think my point is Id find a nephew or other relly and unload on the next generation
Old 12-09-2006, 06:00 PM   #7
Brute6
Lurvin' my Ute!!!

I can't throw mine out. I've got every Wheels and Motor from '92, but I go right through the collection probably twice a year and read about what the auto industry was like back then. For me i think its just the sentimental value, cars are my major passion, and I keep everything related to it....

HERS: SZ Territory TS, Havana

Proud Member "FPV & XR Owners Club of Vic"

Brute6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2006, 08:40 PM   #8
T3ts50
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just chechked Ebay out, Motor and wheels arent sellinf that much, but Australian Muscle Car are going for quite a bit
T3ts50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2006, 08:49 PM   #9
normxb
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Location: Sitting on the Dunny , Contemplating "What to do Next".

Hang on to 'em , the number of times I've used mine as a reference over the years for cars/drivers/dealers/accessories etc. Wheels , Modern Motor , Racing Car News , Chequered Flag , Custom Cars , Restored Cars & a few more from early 70's - 90's Got about 10 boxes of them , "crap to lots of people , treasures to me"

Keeping FORDS in the family

(Embarressment :yeees: , Son now has a "Camira" : )
"Look Right , Look Left , Look Right , BEFORE crossing Roads"
normxb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2006, 09:03 PM   #10
thefargo
black xb
Donating Member3

keep 'em, you never know! you may even want to look at them again...one time
thefargo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2006, 09:48 PM   #11
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

I have a whole collection starting from the '70's.

They take up a lot of room, but on the other hand its great to go back to them every now and then, and reflect on certain cars that spring to mind for some reason.
Like a late 70's Wheels article on the XYGT Phase 3 that were then worth $20,000 (a lot of money then), and predicting they would be a great investment for the future. Makes me feel sick.

I dont have the heart to throw them out.
Silver Ghia is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2006, 01:36 AM   #12
Steffo
LPG > You

Keep them. That's a far more impressive collection then mine. If you don't want them, I'll take everything from 1996-2001 (before my collection starts) off your hands.
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2006, 01:48 AM   #13
Lukeyson
Right out sideways

if you have the motor or wheels with AUII XR8 reviews in it ...... and you like ..... dont want it taking up space no more ....... lemme know ;) i have money and stuff .... lol

EDIT: nothing suss
Old 13-09-2006, 02:36 PM   #14
Sledgehammer
Banned

I stockplie them much to the distress of the better half...
Sledgehammer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2006, 02:48 PM   #15
b2tf
not here much anymore

Keep them for sure.
Old 13-09-2006, 03:51 PM   #16
Polyal
The 'Stihl' Man
Donating Member2

hmm ok, looks like Ill be packing them up then, and continue the collection.

Is there a certain way I should do this? Previously they either sit on a shelf or in a box. Perhaps one of those sealable plastic tubs?
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2006, 04:36 PM   #17
Kenaz
Donating Member
Donating Member1

My bedroom cupboard is full of all sorts of magazines going back to about 1999. I don't want to throw them out. I sometimes go back to the old ones to find performance figures and reviews of second hand cars I might be interested in purchasing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheels Nov 02
It's suave, more subtle, and yet no less stirring. In fact, the boosted Ford is more polished than any big sedan Australia has ever produced. It's just so damn good, it makes the SS feel crude... Ignore the WRX. Forget the E49. Falcon XR6 Turbo is king.
Kenaz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2006, 05:29 PM   #18
XD 351 Ute
Excessive Fuel Ingestion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
hmm ok, looks like Ill be packing them up then, and continue the collection.

Is there a certain way I should do this? Previously they either sit on a shelf or in a box. Perhaps one of those sealable plastic tubs?
Keep them.

The plastic boxes with lids are the go.
I got mine from the Warehouse or Overflow or whatever they're called & stuck all my mags in them. I have 5, 50 or 60 litre bins full of mags.
They cost $18 each & have little castors on them.
I packed the mags away with some insect stuff so they don't get eaten.....
At least they don't look so untidy now!

Ed
XD 351 Ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2006, 05:41 PM   #19
nugget378
Weezland

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to impart knowledge in the technical areas. 

A donation to a car dedicated museum?
or some type of library,that will preserve them,and keep them for
others to enjoy,well into the future??
nugget378 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2006, 05:49 PM   #20
2smooth
xygtho

keep em i say. ive got about 1000 mags in my shed every thing from street machine to austrailan mucsle car,custom rods etc etc. 1\4 of it is street machine from the 80's , they got given to me buy a old panlebeater and since then ive just added to it.
2smooth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2006, 03:35 PM   #21
xr8ted

Yeah I agree, keep them...they always make good dunny material...I have not thrown one out for about 10 years, I am always re-reading them.
Old 14-09-2006, 04:04 PM   #22
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Damn i was gonna ask for the AUII T series ones but thats kool if your keeping em. I had a heap used to buy every wheels and motor when i was at school and threw the lot out about 100-150 mags now i wished i had kept them.
Old 14-09-2006, 04:22 PM   #23
FASTXR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have (Modern) Motor mags going back to the late 50's, with every issue from about '82.

A big chunk of them are still at my parent's place, and I can't tell you how many times they've asked when I'm going to take them away! The remainder are with me and when I moved on the weekend I seriously started to question my wisdom! I have about 4 plastic tubs full of them and also several year's worth of Street Machine.

I just find them really useful to have on hand when buying a new car or just for a bit of a reminisce at how things were 10 or 20 years ago!
FASTXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2006, 12:59 AM   #24
bf tubs

wat ever its worth i am a closet reader of old car mags their predictions mostly but the performance figures are also good
 bf tubs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2006, 03:53 PM   #25
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Its always good to have them as reference material if you buy an older model to see what times they run and how the journos thought they drove. Can give you tips on how to improve them.

I'm in the same situation as you and have decided to box them up and leave them in a cupboard. Have every Wheels and Motor from about 1997 and every Street Machine from 98.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post