Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 02-09-2006, 10:29 PM   #31
protd
TUFF FORDS

Quote:
Originally Posted by nugget378
Not true, total crapola,my mate built his chev at the same time I built mine,in the same shop,very similar specs,377-383,alloy heads,roller cams, the chev was not one bit cheaper.
And it dosent make as much HP....:thebirds:
thats cause chev's suck the c@ck
protd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2006, 05:06 AM   #32
MethodX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ones been around since 55 and still being made.
Powered all sorts of classics

Other was only used a short time in US.

neithers suck the C@ck
MethodX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2006, 12:25 PM   #33
BPXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by nugget378
Not true, total crapola,my mate built his chev at the same time I built mine,in the same shop,very similar specs,377-383,alloy heads,roller cams, the chev was not one bit cheaper.
And it dosent make as much HP....:thebirds:
Well that's good news. I have a 351C ute I'm wanting to dedicate to the strip in the next couple of years. I was starting to contemplate selling it and getting something to drop a chev in because I'd been told they're cheaper to build.

My options are to have a motor built or drop a crate motor in. I wonder how the dollar figures stack up for a crate motor. i.e. bigger market in the states means cheap and varied chev crate motors. Not much of a market for clev in the states means not much available at a good price, that's an assumption as I haven't looked at crate motors in ages.

A question to those more experienced than I. Can a cleveland be built with similar structural integrity as a chev for a similar price? Can I get a 4 bolt cleveland and if not can a clevo block be machined for this and is it even worth it? Compared to a chev the cleveland block has thin sidewalls doesn't it? If I were starting from scratch would it be cheaper to build a strong reliable chev than it would to build a strong reliable cleveland?
BPXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2006, 02:46 PM   #34
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourBarrel
A question to those more experienced than I. Can a cleveland be built with similar structural integrity as a chev for a similar price? Can I get a 4 bolt cleveland and if not can a clevo block be machined for this and is it even worth it? Compared to a chev the cleveland block has thin sidewalls doesn't it? If I were starting from scratch would it be cheaper to build a strong reliable chev than it would to build a strong reliable cleveland?
Brenx has just dynoed his 393 Cleveland with great results, the power and torque matches our tuners 383 chev @ 6600rpm which cost him 30k just in parts!
The difference being the chev will make power to 8000rpm due to big dollar parts and titanium valves/retainers etc.....
Brenx's engine can be purchased complete form Pavtek for 18k or source the parts yourself and it can be done much cheaper.
See here: http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=63527
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2006, 03:48 PM   #35
Boss 290

putting different brand engines into other manufacturers vehicles is a joke...the last thing i want to see is a ford with a chev engine win a drag nationals and for all those bogan holden fans to say "took a chev engine to make the ford go" pfft thats a joke mate
Boss 290 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2006, 03:50 PM   #36
agony
BLOWN 383 CHEV OWNER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss 290
putting different brand engines into other manufacturers vehicles is a joke...the last thing i want to see is a ford with a chev engine win a drag nationals and for all those bogan holden fans to say "took a chev engine to make the ford go" pfft thats a joke mate
Dont you go looking at any hot rods out there will you now!! :
agony is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2006, 03:57 PM   #37
Boss 290

lol.. ive seen it before in a hot rod and i had a bogan tell me that exactlt that...thats why i think its a shame and i think it is also an insult to the brand of car wheather it be ford, holden, toyota etc
Boss 290 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2006, 04:09 PM   #38
Tote
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

One thing in the Chev's favour is the vast amount of aftermarket gear available in the states. I wandered around the Summit Racing shop in Atlanta and there was lots of SBC gear but you had to look very hard to find anything for a Clevo. Windsor bits were plentiful, however.
In Australia production wise we had the opposite situation to the states where the 350 was fitted to a limited number of production vehicles yet for many years the Cleveland was the only production ford v8 available.

Regards,
Tote
Old 29-09-2006, 05:02 PM   #39
agony
BLOWN 383 CHEV OWNER

Your right Tote, plenty of parts out there for us to buy and heaps cheaper than clevo stuff. I just got a big order of parts arrive today from Jegs mail order and its amazing the amount of different stuff you can buy and there service is that much better than any speed shop over here in Aus. And the parts you want they have in stock!
Old 29-09-2006, 06:36 PM   #40
xe351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss 290
mate i have to agree - but one thing in its favour is that often the opposition (gm crowd) will want a nice rod and its hard to find a nicer rod than a 28-38 FORD, so i guess that helps? but yeah in an ideal world........
xe351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2006, 07:10 PM   #41
DougM

I have a VERY simple answer!!!! Big power is big bucks no matter what engine you choose!!!! Alloy heads, steel cranks , 4 bolt mains , forged rods etc, etc. Blowers, turbo's,exhaust and other bolt ons are similar prices...... I.M.H.O A Ford must have a Ford engine and vice versa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
DougM is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2006, 08:08 PM   #42
agony
BLOWN 383 CHEV OWNER

Quote:
Originally Posted by xe351
mate i have to agree - but one thing in its favour is that often the opposition (gm crowd) will want a nice rod and its hard to find a nicer rod than a 28-38 FORD, so i guess that helps? but yeah in an ideal world........
Oh well Im proud to own my car, and yes its a ford with a blown small block CHEV in it and at the moment I wouldnt have it any other way!
Old 29-09-2006, 08:17 PM   #43
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Once apon a time I had a hamilton jet boat running a 350 chev. Another mate had the same boat with a 351. Both boats had a similar top speed but the 351 got there a little quicker. I dont remember to what extent the motors where modified. I think just marinised holley's and heat exchangers was all. But the chevy did sound better at full tit.
Old 29-09-2006, 08:26 PM   #44
Ruger
Bseries Moderator

you heard a clevo at 7300 rpm Outbackjack? man o man no sbc ive heard comes close.

Only those that attempt the absurd achieve the impossible.

Serviced and maintained by Mascot Auto Repairs
Ruger is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2006, 08:53 PM   #45
You Yangs
Dunnydore Destroyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by agony
Oh well Im proud to own my car, and yes its a ford with a blown small block CHEV in it and at the moment I wouldnt have it any other way!
Go on and be proud but to me and a lot of others if its a Ford car than it should have a FORD engine!
BTW can I save your '32 from being butchered and turn it back to stock with a flathead. :hihi:
Old 29-09-2006, 09:07 PM   #46
agony
BLOWN 383 CHEV OWNER

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Yangs
BTW can I save your '32 from being butchered and turn it back to stock with a flathead. :hihi:
Not in this life time mate! :the_finge
Old 30-09-2006, 01:26 PM   #47
bartaxr8

Quote:
Go on and be proud but to me and a lot of others if its a Ford car than it should have a FORD engine!
This car is a fiberglass one. You can't turn something back to stock that never was an original type vehicle.
bartaxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2006, 01:28 PM   #48
agony
BLOWN 383 CHEV OWNER

Thats true mate all fibre glass body! And why would you wont to turn it back to a stock looking one?
Old 30-09-2006, 01:33 PM   #49
bartaxr8

Quote:
Thats true mate all fibre glass body! And why would you wont to turn it back to a stock looking one?
Personally I wouldn't. I suppose the only good thing about a stock one is you don't need to jack the wheels off the ground to work underneath the car.
bartaxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2006, 08:37 PM   #50
You Yangs
Dunnydore Destroyer

Quote:
Because building Hot Rod's is not my passion it is yours.
My passion lies in stock Early V8's and seeing a car turned into a Hot Rod is hard to take, thats why I asked if I could take your '32.
Whilst I admire the workmanship that goes into building a Rod it's just not what I'm into but you obviously are so go forth and enjoy your hobbie!
Old 30-09-2006, 08:40 PM   #51
agony
BLOWN 383 CHEV OWNER

Quote:
thats why I asked if I could take your '32.
Make me the right offer mate and you can have it!!
Old 30-09-2006, 08:52 PM   #52
You Yangs
Dunnydore Destroyer

Mate I'd love to make an offer but I'm flat out looking after the cars I've got let alone getting another!
So what's the go are you selling your Cusso to finance your '32 Rod?
Old 30-09-2006, 09:03 PM   #53
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm a 350 Chev man! Don't know anything about either so I'll just leave it at that.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2006, 09:12 PM   #54
agony
BLOWN 383 CHEV OWNER

Quote:
So what's the go are you selling your Cusso to finance your '32 Rod?
Thats the plan at this point in time. But the longer it takes to sell the more chance there is that I will keep both,
Old 30-09-2006, 09:32 PM   #55
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
ah well no one perfect :
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post