Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 22-08-2006, 02:04 PM   #1
kryzak260
Brembo Lover

Default AU1 to AU2 Brake Upgrade

Hi Guys,

I am looking at doing a brake upgrade on my Series 1 fairlane to the Series 2 premium brakes. I have searched around here, and it doesnt seem anyone has ever done a tutorial or a writeup that i can see.

Is it possible for one of the guys that has done it to do a writeup (with pics if possible) including parts required, etc for aufalcon.com? It would be a very handy resource to have on the site...

Cheers,
Michael

Hers: 2006 BF Super Pursuit in Vixen
kryzak260 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2006, 02:05 PM   #2
OZFORDAU
Banned

Its goona cost u at least $1,000- its not worth it mate
OZFORDAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2006, 02:09 PM   #3
Smoked
Burnin Rubber

There is a bit involved in doing the change. Infact, i cant recall anyone who has done it and found it worthwhile.
***Coming Soon: Clear Side Repeaters***
Quote:
Originally Posted by The-ShowStoPPa
...dont get me wrong this 3.8v6 is pretty special, it does come with the popular shake rattle and roll option and the auto compliments this with the ever popular snap crackle and pop feature
Smoked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2006, 02:20 PM   #4
anakha

I would think it would come down to how the car is driven. If the car is going to see sustained high speed driving and/or track use I would think it was.

Given its a Fairlane I would think likely not however.
anakha is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2006, 02:22 PM   #5
OZFORDAU
Banned

Yeah its really not worth it as smoked said i can't recall someone on here or not on here thats even tried to do it....It's not worth the time or money!

Cheers

Simon
OZFORDAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2006, 02:22 PM   #6
kryzak260
Brembo Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZFORDAU
Its goona cost u at least $1,000- its not worth it mate
Hrm,

2 tonne luxobarge hurtling down a mountain pass (which i drive often where i live) with **** brakes. Not cool.

$1k to improve the braking to a far better level is nothing to me. keep in mind im not talking about the standard twin pot brakes off a forte or anything, im talking about the premium brake option that pops up occasionally on wrecked cars.

Old 22-08-2006, 02:28 PM   #7
poolkeeper
Its Resonating!

4000 Series DBA
Performance Pads
Braided Lines
Thats all you need....
poolkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2006, 02:49 PM   #8
loxxr6
XB in parts...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryzak260
Hi Guys,

I am looking at doing a brake upgrade on my Series 1 fairlane to the Series 2 premium brakes. I have searched around here, and it doesnt seem anyone has ever done a tutorial or a writeup that i can see.

Is it possible for one of the guys that has done it to do a writeup (with pics if possible) including parts required, etc for aufalcon.com? It would be a very handy resource to have on the site...

Cheers,
Michael
I sent Casper a write up for the aufalcon.com site with this info on it (based on everything people had posted on the forums). I don't think it's been published on the site yet. Maybe PM him for it (or I can see if I still have it at home) and get him to post it up on the au falcon site while he's at it.

Daily Driver 2019 Ford Escape...looking for XR6T's.

loxxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2006, 02:51 PM   #9
kryzak260
Brembo Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by loxxr6
I sent Casper a write up for the aufalcon.com site with this info on it (based on everything people had posted on the forums). I don't think it's been published on the site yet. Maybe PM him for it (or I can see if I still have it at home) and get him to post it up on the au falcon site while he's at it.
OK, thanks. Will do

Old 22-08-2006, 02:51 PM   #10
loxxr6
XB in parts...

....otherwise FTG Autosalvage do the conversion kit for $1000~ or so.

I wouldn't mind the upgrade myself although I'm interested in seeing what one of my local repair shops is doing with a kit that includes imported mustang brakes.

Daily Driver 2019 Ford Escape...looking for XR6T's.

loxxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2006, 06:36 PM   #11
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

for the hell of it if you really want to do it, why not get the brakes from a T2 or T3 TS50 and put them on instead? but its up to you, as people have said for ~$1000 you can probably buy a lot batter aftermarket stuff for that price, as D1XR2C said dba 4000 series either slotted or wiper slot rotors front and rear, decent pads and braided lines...this will probably cost less than $1000 and you will probably get better results...but as i said ultimately its up to you as its your car and your money

also someone correct me if im wrong but dont you have to replace basically the whole front end if going from a S1 to S2?
bodes-sh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2006, 06:55 PM   #12
EvilChief
Boost Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoked
There is a bit involved in doing the change. Infact, i cant recall anyone who has done it and found it worthwhile.
i did the conversion about 3 years ago and did a writeup ... and there bucketloads of threads about it ever since ...

am going to sell my premiums sometime this year
EvilChief is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2006, 07:00 PM   #13
HOTC2R
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodes-sh
for the hell of it if you really want to do it, why not get the brakes from a T2 or T3 TS50 and put them on instead? but its up to you, as people have said for ~$1000 you can probably buy a lot batter aftermarket stuff for that price, as D1XR2C said dba 4000 series either slotted or wiper slot rotors front and rear, decent pads and braided lines...this will probably cost less than $1000 and you will probably get better results...but as i said ultimately its up to you as its your car and your money

also someone correct me if im wrong but dont you have to replace basically the whole front end if going from a S1 to S2?
As far as I'm aware that's correct. FTG Auto salvage have S1 to S2 upgrade kit at around $1k but that is still standard S2 brakes not premo. They had premo fronts from a T series and they wanted $1250. That's to go on a S2 or S3. Don't know what else you would need to put it on a S1.
PM Darren at FTG. He is very helpful
HOTC2R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2006, 07:24 PM   #14
onfire
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You would only need to change the front brakes wouldnt you..? IMO the rear are big enough.

onfire is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2006, 07:39 PM   #15
EvilChief
Boost Addict

the rear are the same
Old 22-08-2006, 07:51 PM   #16
onfire
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That would make sense.

onfire is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2006, 07:59 PM   #17
lotus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think you will find that the Tickford twin piston calipers fit all Au's. This was spoken of on another thread. Spoke of changing the caliper position from front to rear and the location of the bleeder.
Old 22-08-2006, 08:59 PM   #18
EvilChief
Boost Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotus
I think you will find that the Tickford twin piston calipers fit all Au's. This was spoken of on another thread. Spoke of changing the caliper position from front to rear and the location of the bleeder.
tickford twin pistons bolt only on S2 and S3

the calipers in the S1 are rear facing and have a very wiered bracket.

U will need to change to S2 to S3 as they are front facing calipers with a bolt on bracket. i got the diagrams here somewhere ... :alien2:
LN65 Hilux Turbo - sold
EL31 Corolla Turbo - sold
Ford AU Ute Turbo - sold
Ford AU XR8 Sedan - 5.4l V8 Turbo (in the build)
Ford BA XR6T Ute - daily driver
Ford FG XR6T Sedan - cruiser

do you see a general trend? I DO

Can't live with it, can't live without it!
Old 23-08-2006, 01:48 AM   #19
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i remember reading a few threads on this

FTG would be the ones to go see for the kit..

cebco want 2500 for just the front for some decent brakes(brembo style)

you need the
swaybar. and brackets
uprights(part the brakes go onto)
lower control arms
discs
calipers
and im unsure on the lines them selves..
some of the other guys can point you in the right direction im sure!

slotted rotors do help a hell of a lot tho!!

i did a spirited run with some fordlaser.com folks over mt glorious/nebo etc and my brakes were still working alrite by the end of it!
not as good as the start but still ok (used gears as much as possible tho with 2nd gear most of the way down) and that was with 18" wire rims(heavy)
Old 23-08-2006, 10:12 AM   #20
2SLOAU
Starter Motor

Default Brake upgrade

Hi there i have a s1 au ute i did a brake upgrade about 3 months ago to BA xr8 u need the up rights complete hub lower contol arm sway bar i had no dramas with lines i also changed the shocks n springs to ba xr8 not only does it brake 10 times better but handles better to .there are a few fun mods like drilling out the new sway bar mounts .u will need bigger wheels to clear .
every thing u need will cost some where between 1000 to 1200 aprox .
i can sorce all parts and organise fitting if any one wants or u can come check mine out for yourself call 0406 284 664 for details

IF Im GOING TO HELL Im GOING IN A FORD out:
2SLOAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-10-2006, 02:41 PM   #21
sprjenkins
Spr Jenkins

ok so then whats involved with fitting larger diameter rotors?
sprjenkins is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-10-2006, 02:53 PM   #22
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by loxxr6
I've gone looking for that article Lox and cant find it anywhere.
The reason it hasnt gotten onto te site yet is because we are in the process of upgrading the whole site (yes, its happening right now, its going to look fantastic. Dauphin has written some software just for it.. stunning!!).

As for worth it, I think it certainly would be. So much so that I'll be doing it myself next year. A nice set of BA or BF brakes will be the go I think. BF front rotors are about 322mm I think, thats a massive increase on the pathetic AU1 rotors. Not to mention the bigger calipers!

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-10-2006, 02:57 PM   #23
jonbays
TL40 Wagon?

FTG are doing the Territory ones the BF use and they would be great for any AUII. AUI stil needs to be converted and run 16" plus wheels.
jonbays is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post