Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 03-10-2006, 11:15 AM   #1
v8kev
67 XR Fairmont

Question 351W or 351C for XR

Hi all

Really just looking for some advice from people in the know, and who have had more experience than me.

I have a 1967 XR Fairmont sedan, which I have stripped back to bare shell, and am in the process of rebuilding.

This care originally had a 289 in it (which was stolen), and for the rebuild, I am really wanting to put in a 351.

I am aware that both will go in no worries, it is just that the Cleveland will be a very tight fit due to the angle of the V .....

But does it have any benefit over the Windsor? I have asked many people - and some are pro Windsor, and some are pro Cleveland ... but for no good reason.

I am looking for approximately 350 - 380 horsepower out of it - not really any more than that.

If anyone can give me their advise and why, I would really appreciate it. Want to make this a good machine.

regards

KEV

v8kev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2006, 11:26 AM   #2
EXECJIM

As good as the 351 W is, I would say they are harder to come by now adays.

The Clevo would be a better/easier option in regard to finding bits and hot up gear too.

The Clevo will fit no drama.

Jim
Old 03-10-2006, 11:40 AM   #3
BJ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8kev
Hi all

Really just looking for some advice from people in the know, and who have had more experience than me.

I have a 1967 XR Fairmont sedan, which I have stripped back to bare shell, and am in the process of rebuilding.

This care originally had a 289 in it (which was stolen), and for the rebuild, I am really wanting to put in a 351.

I am aware that both will go in no worries, it is just that the Cleveland will be a very tight fit due to the angle of the V .....

But does it have any benefit over the Windsor? I have asked many people - and some are pro Windsor, and some are pro Cleveland ... but for no good reason.

I am looking for approximately 350 - 380 horsepower out of it - not really any more than that.

If anyone can give me their advise and why, I would really appreciate it. Want to make this a good machine.

regards

KEV
G'aday Kev. I am in the processes of doing the same, as in going from Windsor to Clevo. As Jim has said 351 Windsor's are getting hard to find these days. If you go the Clevo route you may want to move the remote booster if you have already done so. You should have no trouble with those power figure out of a 351 Windsor though or you could alway's go for a 427 stoker Windsor. Bj
BJ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2006, 01:20 PM   #4
LTDHO
The one and only

351C's are everywhere.
Parts are always easy to get.
They will make that power easy.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2006, 01:20 PM   #5
Tote
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've got a ute with a 351 Clevo in it and the only problem with fit is there is not much clearance between the remote booster and the passenger side tappet cover. Havig said that you could mod the firewall and fit an XY booster.
If you are considering fuel injection at some stage I'd go the windsor, a drive train out of an XR8 would be nice with a stroker crank as well.
Regards,
Tote
Old 03-10-2006, 01:47 PM   #6
v8kev
67 XR Fairmont

Thanks guys! Gives me something to ponder.... sounds like it doesn't matter too much - more a case of what is easier to get!
KEV
v8kev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2006, 02:17 PM   #7
BPXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My XT Ute had drums with no booster. I used XD discs and calipers with an XY booster. Everything fits in easy enough. I'm running a 351C and theres plenty of room to get plugs out and all that. I've also yanked the headers off with the motor in the car without any problems.

I avoided the windsor for the above mentioned reasons. If I stuff a head or something I can go to any ford wrecker and get another.
BPXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2006, 03:02 PM   #8
TSERIES
THE WORLD IS FORDS

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8kev
Thanks guys! Gives me something to ponder.... sounds like it doesn't matter too much - more a case of what is easier to get!
KEV

hi kev
i have a phase 1 windsor xw and a phase 2 clevo powered xw both are fantastic cars ....loads more room with the windsor , very grunty low down power and i have a complete 69 351 windsor donk for sale 2500 grand buys it virgin motor never rebuilt and not stuffed

cheers
TSERIES is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2006, 05:34 PM   #9
CaRtZ
Aspiring mr efxr

go the windsor. lighter yet just as strong. hard to come by. put 2V heads with 4V valves on it.

Standard = 99.6rwkw <!> 2.5" SuperCat cat back exhaust, Wade 1636 cam, K&N boxed pod (new dyno required
Sony headunit, splits, 6.5"s and 2 x 12" with response precision amp = 135.5 dB

Daily = Ae82 '85 corolla Fwd :togo: , 5 speed, 12" sub, 6x9's, green LED's

the course i am studying: http://www.wodonga.tafe.edu.au/01_courses/course.jsp?id=AUR30905NANA
CaRtZ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post