Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 22-03-2010, 12:43 AM   #271
04redxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by trippytaka
The football codes are able to bounce back from one anti-social behavioural crisis to another. Why? Because they have an organised, well funded business models behind them that puts good PR and marketing people and a lot of money into moulding and fixing public opinion of the players and the codes.

The only way for the motoring community to change the way we are perceived would be to create an official representitive body that helps look after our interests. Rally, drag, circuit, street, business etc... all combined under the one roof. (Please don't anyone mention the PRTC - completely toothless thus far).

Set up like a political party, it would take donations from lobby groups, invite paying members. It would blast the media with feel good angles and stories about the amount of good work we do, like charity cruises and car shows. It would hold huge annual fundraising events. It would have celebrities (like Eric Bana etc) as spokespeople. It would publicly denounce the anti-social behaviour. It would seek to boycott businesses and drag teams that are involved in illegal activities - we all know the kinds of groups I mean. It would pour money into nurturing young racing talent (much like the CAMS rising stars). It would become the face of driver training, nationally. It would fight to get into schools to change the attitudes of young people towards driving. It would fight for the license systems and tests to include driver training (through our training centres, of course).

Benefits for fully paid members would include discounts to workshops and vendors that sign up, much like the NRMA. Discounts to driving events like V8 Supercars etc. It would work with other community groups and events (V8 Supercars, charities etc) to legitimise itself.

It would take a solid 5-10 years to gain any kind of solid momentum in the media, but at least we'd be doing something. Hell, maybe in 10 years it would become a fully-fledged political party at a state level to try and raise awareness against revenue raising using motorists etc.

An no, I haven't been toking on the crake pipe. I'm just living in a fantasy for a second. Anyway, it's a completely legitimate idea and could be self-sufficiant... it's just that no one out there has the kind of vision or $$$$ behind them to get the ball rolling.
This is what I was trying to say. Not a fantasy if others would get in on it. It would be a huge undertaking, but a worthwile one.
Old 22-03-2010, 12:46 AM   #272
bcnyah351

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9triton
got this from another forum
hhmmhhhmmm bull dust in nice words calder is happy to run the event
Old 22-03-2010, 12:53 AM   #273
xdc351
X-Series Club Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcnyah351
What, Bob Jane/Calder Park pull the pin on an event because they can't have complete and total control? Never!
Old 22-03-2010, 01:01 AM   #274
xdc351
X-Series Club Moderator

trippytaka I don't want to assume here, but that is essentially what I've been trying to say this whole time.

We don't have a voice, so instead we remain silent while all this happens assuming that being quiet is somehow not aligning ourselves to the actions of fools. I for one don't think this is an effective strategy. Modified car owners are already less popular than garden snails in the eyes of the public so anything in our favor from here on in is a blessing. You only have to look at the fallout from these riots and the the complete and total lack of a sensible figurehead standing up for us to realise just how deep we're in it at the moment.

If this could be done in a genuine and realistic manner that actually held some voice to the people that matter it would be brilliant and I'm putting myself in to assist in any way possible.
Old 22-03-2010, 01:04 AM   #275
bcnyah351

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdc351
What, Bob Jane/Calder Park pull the pin on an event because they can't have complete and total control? Never!
no the promotor cancelled 120 paid entrants
Old 22-03-2010, 01:13 AM   #276
04redxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
trippytaka I don't want to assume here, but that is essentially what I've been trying to say this whole time.

We don't have a voice, so instead we remain silent while all this happens assuming that being quiet is somehow not aligning ourselves to the actions of fools. I for one don't think this is an effective strategy. Modified car owners are already less popular than garden snails in the eyes of the public so anything in our favor from here on in is a blessing. You only have to look at the fallout from these riots and the the complete and total lack of a sensible figurehead standing up for us to realise just how deep we're in it at the moment.

If this could be done in a genuine and realistic manner that actually held some voice to the people that matter it would be brilliant and I'm putting myself in to assist in any way possible.
Is that now 3 of us?
Old 22-03-2010, 01:15 AM   #277
xdc351
X-Series Club Moderator

Quote:
no the promotor cancelled 120 paid entrants
And the reasons were expained above.
Old 22-03-2010, 01:16 AM   #278
xdc351
X-Series Club Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04redxr8
Is that now 3 of us?
Ha ha, I believe it is. Sorry, was being a little self focused as I wrote that before :
Old 22-03-2010, 01:18 AM   #279
bcnyah351

Quote:
And the reasons were expained above.
so how is it calders fault and dont get me wrong l will not race there l hate the place but he did not get the numbers as in cars to go
Old 22-03-2010, 01:25 AM   #280
xdc351
X-Series Club Moderator

Quote:
so how is it calders fault and dont get me wrong l will not race there l hate the place but he did not get the numbers as in cars to go
There have been many events cancelled or relocated from Calder Park in the last few years for the exact same reasons.

I'm not getting into it here, but if you really want to know what its like dealing with Bob Jane talk to anyone that owns/owned a NASCAR/AUSCAR and I'm pretty sure they'll clear it up for you real quick.
Old 22-03-2010, 01:28 AM   #281
04redxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Ha ha, I believe it is. Sorry, was being a little self focused as I wrote that before :
No apology needed. I would love to get something like this happening. Still can't believe despite only 120 entries, that 2000 odd turned out to riot.

We do need a well respected voice to distance ourselves from these fools. I believe it can be done. A show and shine, a charity run, anything positive that can draw media attention that can be used in a positive light to overshadow the bad.

At least the media didn't try and pin this riot on enthusiasts.
Old 22-03-2010, 01:36 AM   #282
xdc351
X-Series Club Moderator

Quote:
No apology needed. I would love to get something like this happening. Still can't believe despite only 120 entries, that 2000 odd turned out to riot.

We do need a well respected voice to distance ourselves from these fools. I believe it can be done. A show and shine, a charity run, anything positive that can draw media attention that can be used in a positive light to overshadow the bad.

There is a lot more to the cancellation of the Easternats than we've heard, but if you read Jon Davison's comments in the post above carefully... you'll see he was faced with massive changes to the contracts and an apparent failure to obtain the nessesary council permits for the event to be run, which were supposed to be organised in advance but were instead ignored and Jon's managemant company were copping the brunt of it. Add to that he accepted the cancellation from "guess who", not initiated it.

I think small events are a start, but considering how many people not just on this forum but in the country in general, why can't we have a voice that gets heard not just in the media but in the government?
Old 22-03-2010, 01:40 AM   #283
bcnyah351

Quote:

if you read thought the posts only a few knew what it was about
Old 22-03-2010, 01:42 AM   #284
04redxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
There is a lot more to the cancellation of the Easternats than we've heard, but if you read Jon Davison's comments in the post above carefully... you'll see he was faced with massive changes to the contracts and an apparent failure to obtain the nessesary council permits for the event to be run, which were supposed to be organised in advance but were instead ignored and Jon's managemant company were copping the brunt of it. Add to that he accepted the cancellation from "guess who", not initiated it.

I think small events are a start, but considering how many people not just on this forum but in the country in general, why can't we have a voice that gets heard not just in the media but in the government?
You are right, I dont know fully what the reason for the cancellation. So far Jon Davison has blamed Calder and BJ. Calder have blamed Jon Davison. BJ has remained quiet.

None of this excuses the rioters. Your also right about starting small. These type of things need to be built up. We need people who want to give up their own time to dedicate to this. The more people we have, the less time we each need to give up.
Old 22-03-2010, 01:43 AM   #285
bcnyah351

Quote:
There have been many events cancelled or relocated from Calder Park in the last few years for the exact same reasons.

I'm not getting into it here, but if you really want to know what its like dealing with Bob Jane talk to anyone that owns/owned a NASCAR/AUSCAR and I'm pretty sure they'll clear it up for you real quick.
and that would be why l do not race there :evil3:
Old 22-03-2010, 01:47 AM   #286
04redxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Quote:
if you read thought the posts only a few knew what it was about
My post was actually about the rioters themselves. Not who was to blame for the event not happening. There where factors behind the event not being held, but that was no reason to cause a riot and destroy private property.

Just trying to say that the 2000 odd rioters were not supporting the event to begin with. How could they, they didn't enter. I wonder if any of them (the rioters) even knew why it was called of?
Old 22-03-2010, 01:52 AM   #287
bcnyah351

Quote:
My post was actually about the rioters themselves. Not who was to blame for the event not happening. There where factors behind the event not being held, but that was no reason to cause a riot and destroy private property.

Just trying to say that the 2000 odd rioters were not supporting the event to begin with. How could they, they didn't enter. I wonder if any of them (the rioters) even knew why it was called of?
sorry l applyed to the wrong post l agree with you
Old 22-03-2010, 01:55 AM   #288
xdc351
X-Series Club Moderator

Quote:
None of this excuses the rioters. Your also right about starting small. These type of things need to be built up. We need people who want to give up their own time to dedicate to this. The more people we have, the less time we each need to give up.
Agree 100%. Nothing excuses the rioters. Nothing anyone, anywhere could say would excuse them. But those few genuine (albeit misguided) souls that tried to protest the Easternats being cancelled, with good intentions and trying to raise support for their cause, I do genuinely feel sorry for. Sorry they didn't think about who else might want to capitalise on their naivety, sorry that the police ignored them until it was too late but most of all sorry that they didn't have a sensible leader to go to for advice and for a voice. That is why car enthusiasts are considered a minority when were much more than that, because we're faceless bar a few rioting morons.
Old 22-03-2010, 08:31 AM   #289
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Quote:
so the promoter officially released statement is a pack of lies?
His terms of contract were changed and this isn't the 1st time this has happened dealing with CP and many in the industry are not surprised it ended up like this, it never ends.
-----------------------------

*Statement from Jon Davison the Promoter of the EASTERNATS 2010*

Re: The Calder Park Agreement

After reading a number of inaccurate statements from Ian MacArthur

– General Manager of Calder Park in regard to the EASTERNATS 2010, I outline the following.

An Agreement for hire of Calder Park Raceway to host the EASTERNATS was first provided to me on or about Friday the 26th February 2010. For your information I had on a number of occasions inclusive of December, January and early February, requested a copy of the Agreement.

The Agreement as provided was not in line with the terms outlined in the document headed EASTERNATS Summary which was provided to me by representatives of Calder Park in November 2009, particularly in relation to the period of license which was to be... “(5 year x 5 year with renewable options)”. Since the 26th February I had been informed on the 9th March by email that the Agreement was “suspended” and then further on the 11th March that the Agreement was cancelled and by further letter dated the 12th March I was advised by Bob Jane of the following;

“So I’m now faced with two options, to maintain the position of the cancellation of the event at Calder Park or alternatively to continue the event under the management of Calder Park and protecting your perceived value of the EASTERNATS ongoing basis in the future”.

Bob Jane’s letter 12th March then outlined the basis for a new Agreement, which entailed a new option arrangement at the option of the owner year by year.

As the Promoter I had at all times acted and negotiated in good faith, however under the circumstances I could not accept the terms as proposed and acknowledged that... I had been unable to reach any satisfactory long term agreement, and in accordance with Bob Jane’s correspondence, I accepted the cancellation. It is important to note Bob Jane suspended and then cancelled the event.

On or about the 1st March I was provided with a copy of correspondence from Carey Patterson, Manager Building Services & Municipal Building Surveyor advising Calder Park Raceway that, “the owner of the property is required to have an Occupancy Permit issued prior to any event at which admission is charged for the purposes of public entertainment”.

I was advised by Bob Jane that he had this matter under control and that the issue was being resolved by his lawyers and Brimbank Council.

I received from Maddocks solicitors representing Brimbank City Council (BCC) dated 12th March 2010 that Calder Park the Venue had failed to obtain an Occupancy Permit for Calder Park to act as a place of public entertainment.

Maddocks threatened legal action against Rapid Corporation as the Promoter of the EASTERNATS, unless an application for a Certificate of Occupancy was made to Council by 4:00 pm on the 18th March 2010. As of Monday 15th March 2010, Calder Park had not made the application to Council.

This issue combined with threatening... legal correspondence regarding the Occupancy Permit and the changes to and subsequent uncertainties of the commercial agreement, were totally unacceptable. I had always proceeded on the assurance that the venue Calder Park had all the necessary planning permits and satisfied all regulatory requirements for the conduct of public entertainment.

Under the circumstances as of Monday 15th March I was unable and unwilling to proceed. My case rests.

Yours sincerely

Jon Davison
Promoter EASTERNATS

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
Old 22-03-2010, 08:43 AM   #290
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Has anyone explained why the protest (peacefull) was arranged for 11pm, in all my years i have never heard of anyone anywhere having one at that time of night for any reason, this was just a disaster waiting to happen, and those that organised it need a swift kick up the ****......

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
Old 22-03-2010, 09:31 AM   #291
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJR-351
Has anyone explained why the protest (peacefull) was arranged for 11pm, in all my years i have never heard of anyone anywhere having one at that time of night for any reason, this was just a disaster waiting to happen, and those that organised it need a swift kick up the ****......
They need more than just a swift kick up the **** they need to go to jail that is the only justifial (spelling ) result that i think is needed

Jason

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 22-03-2010, 10:44 AM   #292
RedHotGT
Long live the Falcon GT

I hope they review the CCTV and charge everyone they can ID...

Idiots...

(i'd say more, but there are 290 posts previous to this that will have covered it anyways)
Old 22-03-2010, 10:53 AM   #293
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJR-351

This is what i have been saying over and over.....

You dont hold a protest at 11PM at night!

This was an organised riot and had nothing to do with Easternats.

Look at the video footage and all you see are a bunch of 20somethings wearing hoddies or not wearing shirts.

These are probably the same morons who rioted and destroyed the video shop just down the road from Sandown in 2007 just weeks before the Easternats. Have we all forgotten already??

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Old 22-03-2010, 10:55 AM   #294
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don't think that ute or business would be covered by insurance. Most contracts will have exclusions for "acts of war or public rioting".
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
Old 22-03-2010, 11:00 AM   #295
Sorted
OzEcruisers PRESIDENT

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: For all the contributions you make to the AFF community. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin
I don't think that ute or business would be covered by insurance. Most contracts will have exclusions for "acts of war or public rioting".
All depends on his policy exclusions - it may or may not be covered

CGU cover it under their Motor Trades Policy - unsure about others

Excess wil still have to be paid and renewal will increase due to claim

Tuned by DYNOMOTIVE

200BUX - AFF Drag Nats 2019 EF Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednose View Post
Common knowledge that the more weight you take out of the car the less power you need to run the time.

Last edited by Sorted; 22-03-2010 at 11:14 AM.
Old 22-03-2010, 11:54 AM   #296
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

Why don't a huge number of members on here band together and just flood ACA/Today Tonight/News papers....whatever with hundreds of emails showing our disgust and that they are not car enthusiasts, etc etc.

It's easy to ignore a combined cruise and a few emails....but hundreds of emails bombarding a single address all on the same topic...You can't look past that.

I'm sure we could devise a generic email template, change it to your details and have it so people can modify it if they wish...

Easy done. Send the same email every day until we get noticed, simple as that.

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
Old 22-03-2010, 01:22 PM   #297
silvergsvan

Quote:
I believe it can be done. A show and shine, a charity run, anything positive that can draw media attention that can be used in a positive light to overshadow the bad.
The outlaw bikers do it with the toy run every year, great positive coverage for those who are normally seen as social outcasts.

If they can do it, car enthusists should be able to.

Does anyone have Max Markson's number?
Old 22-03-2010, 01:27 PM   #298
Wheezy031

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6_661
Why don't a huge number of members on here band together and just flood ACA/Today Tonight/News papers....whatever with hundreds of emails showing our disgust and that they are not car enthusiasts, etc etc.

It's easy to ignore a combined cruise and a few emails....but hundreds of emails bombarding a single address all on the same topic...You can't look past that.

I'm sure we could devise a generic email template, change it to your details and have it so people can modify it if they wish...

Easy done. Send the same email every day until we get noticed, simple as that.
Can anyone say "DNS attack".

Knowing TT and ACA they will claim "HOONS" attempted to hook up with "HACKERS" in an attempt to overthrow the great Aussie fire wall and create anarchy for Joe Bloggs and his family who are terrified of some young runts who need the backhand of their parents to keep the little ********ers in line.
Old 22-03-2010, 01:40 PM   #299
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
I believe it can be done. A show and shine, a charity run, anything positive that can draw media attention that can be used in a positive light to overshadow the bad.
People do realise that a public rally was held 3 weeks ago??? ... over 20,000 people attended with over 500 drag and modified cars on display here in Melbourne to gain support for an ANDRA sanctioned complex.

No real coverage in any aspect, quiet and very well organised. It takes a few nut jobs to get the media attention while anything positive is brushed aside.

It is now done and dusted. There is no way any government here would support any type of sport that is remotely associated with the word 'drag' and the media will help in keeping the term associated with 'hoons'.

Heathcote will be the place for drags for as long as they are supported and that will be it from now to eternity. At least there is somehwere to go. Sorry Adelaide

| [/url] |

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 22-03-2010, 06:47 PM   #300
Spanrz
Hmmmmmmm!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvergsvan
Does anyone have Max Markson's number?
You've got to be joking! eh!
He is the biggest w.nker of them all. Nothing about cred or the lives he has destroyed, just about how much money can be earned.
Where's Corey Worthington now? I'd bet he isn't basking in the sun on an island at all.

Quote:
So far Jon Davison has blamed Calder and BJ. Calder have blamed Jon Davison. BJ has remained quiet.
Big mess isn't it.

I mean, if these guys can't agree, there ain't going to be much agreeance/help from the Gov either.
Who's to say the Council would have blocked the "easternats"??

Seems Davison was "cornered" so to speak to agree to new terms. He should have used "Heathcote" as the trump card, saying you don't want it, Heathcote will have it.

What I cannot understand is why BJ denies having anything to do with it??
Particularly when Davison shows clear evidence of his interactions (among others).

If that statement is true, which seems that way, I've lost cred with BJ and the management of Calder Park.
Seems that anything anymore to do with Calder Park is a disaster.
But business is business and noone wins. (Greed is good)
Closed Thread