Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 27-04-2007, 08:40 PM   #271
nb_351
building the xe...

congrats xwgasaxe
im in total admiration and jealousy...
cant imagine what it feels like to own a real piece of history...
im sure it wont be molested, and will be tastefully maintained...
had a feeling it would go to someone on here...
if only it was me lol
Old 27-04-2007, 08:45 PM   #272
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xwgasaxe
Nicholas,
Thanks for giving me the oportunity to purchase this low milage GTHO, It will look excellent parked next to my XW and give the missus something to drive to the shops.
YOU WISH!!!!!!!!!lol nice try.

The more I know ppl the more I love my DOGS.
2011 SY Territory Limited Edition TS
2000 AUII SE ute IL6
Old 27-04-2007, 08:57 PM   #273
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yes... i think that "purchase" was "tounge in cheek"...

Old 27-04-2007, 09:41 PM   #274
OLDFORDNUT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

strange thing to say you are the buyer, will know tomorrow where its going if i catch him at home.
Old 27-04-2007, 09:47 PM   #275
naughts
Hmmmmm Mulberry....

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholas
well it has sold for an undeclared amount (new owner asked it to be kept private)over last offer but less than asking price.mate promised some more photo's soon ,
i will post as soon as i get any.
cheers Nicholas,
and to all those who inferred it was dodgy somehow,it passed all inspections by at least one of Australia's HO experts,
So, It made 800k or not then??????
Old 27-04-2007, 09:53 PM   #276
eb_5litre
It'll Buff Out.

I wouldve thought the "mrs something to drive to the shops" comment made it obvious.
Old 27-04-2007, 10:28 PM   #277
Gammaboy
Grinder+Welder = Race car

OK, i can completely understand $700k for a Racer with history, but $800k with a 1mil ask is absolutely recoculous.
Old 27-04-2007, 11:17 PM   #278
F6BF

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperRoo69
This is not true... the car has not been sold... and is not for sale!!! Confirmed by the owner today!!!
Thanks for confirming......saw that info posted on another forum
XR8 Sprint winter white
GTF Octane manual

FS: ZF 6 sp trans & converter out of stock BF mk2 typhoon
Old 27-04-2007, 11:21 PM   #279
Unco
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

that's a beautiful car. it's worth what people are willing to pay now. supply and demand. every year you hear people saying that they are no longer able to afford their first home and every year you hear the same people saying 'damn, i should have bought that house 5 years ago when i could'.

yes, it's a risky investment, but what investment isn't risky? even real estate. i'm sure the guy who bought it knows a little bit about risk vs potential return and i'm sure he doesn't have all his eggs in one basket. also, i just love how some people have come here giving us all free financial advise lol. sounds like a case of sour grapes to me.

but anyway, congratulations to the guy that sold it, also congrats to the guy who bought it and thank you nicholas for sharing those awesome pics.
Old 27-04-2007, 11:22 PM   #280
[Tonko]
What's green is gold

Funny how everyone seems to know someone with 1 or more P3's locked away, but of course its always a mate of a mate, or dads bosses brother or something, There must be more in sheds in 2007 than in showrooms in 1971....
I personally have only ever seen 3, but i dont go looking for them...
And i saw a GTHO glovebox for sale at a swap meet for $15,000... dreamin....

EF XR8 - Koni's - Cam and Headwork -3.9s - Ex VIC TMU -

1982 Nissan Patrol - 460 ci Big Block soon - Semi Gloss Black - Dark Tint - 4x 6" Infinity Kappa Perfect Splits - 5" Kappa 2 ways - Kappa 6x9's - 2x12" Kappa perfect subs - 2x4 Channel and 2x Mono Kappa amps-

Old 27-04-2007, 11:25 PM   #281
GXL078
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Some nut job had an XC Cobra on E Bay for $1,000,000 because that's what it was worth to him :
Old 28-04-2007, 12:08 AM   #282
OLDFORDNUT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by naughts
So, It made 800k or not then??????
somewhere between $800,000 and $950,000
Old 28-04-2007, 01:53 AM   #283
northey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Nick,
thanks for posting this great story. What a fantastic find. I think the car is in excellent condition for having sat in storage for so long. I am of the view that seeing a couple of HO's have sold for around the $700 + that car was worth just over 1 million.

If the new owner wishes to share photos of the car some of us would be grateful to see them. It's a shame that some can't see what the car is but maybe they don't know what they're looking at.

You mentioned "they've always been out of the price range of most people." I agree.
In 1974-5 there was an electric blue Ph 3 HO in my town for sale at a car dealers for about 6 months for $5000. I never went and even looked at the car because I couldn't come close to buying it. It was way out of the price range of a 17 yo. I just used to keep aiming my car in that direction so I could see it. I believe it eventually went to Brisbane to be sold on consignment.

Car dealers up here, apart from one, would not even look at a GT/HO then; they just couldn't sell them.
Old 28-04-2007, 08:05 AM   #284
athol

I think the people that are buying these cars are straight out investors and the heritage behind them would mean very little, they are being bought to make a tidy profit when resold, You only have to look at the prices being paid for any old muscle car, it is only a matter of time before the powers to be slip a capital gains tax on them.

Athol.
Old 29-04-2007, 07:55 AM   #285
OLDFORDNUT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by athol
I think the people that are buying these cars are straight out investors and the heritage behind them would mean very little, they are being bought to make a tidy profit when resold, You only have to look at the prices being paid for any old muscle car, it is only a matter of time before the powers to be slip a capital gains tax on them.

Athol.
at least they can honestly say I used to own an XY GT HO.i wish i could.some of you really miss the point,
so what if you will never own one,its nice to dream .
there are literally hundreds of my dream type cars that i will never be able to afford but that will never stop me admiring them.
cheers Nick
Old 29-04-2007, 08:29 AM   #286
Phase II
High Performance

Quote:
somewhere between $800,000 and $950,000

Bloody hell thats alot of money for that car thats had a very short hard life.
Yes its original with a few deleted options which makes it even rarer (sp?) But it needs work, Our XW sat it our shed for 19 years untill recently and looks brand new to that with 90 000 miles. No im not jealous of this car, its just a silly amount to be paying for something that needs a resto that in fact will devalue the car.

Please prove me wrong with pictures in the daylight all clean and worth the coin

Great thread tho its been a great read.
Old 29-04-2007, 03:30 PM   #287
starkersEB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by yift
isnt the phase 3 the only car in australian history, possible one of few cars worldwide, not to depreciate in value less than the sticker price from new?
Not an Australian car but the MY99? WRXsti sold for 60.000 from a dealer and then you could sel them the same day for 80,000, like i said not an aussie car but it was in australia
Old 29-04-2007, 04:58 PM   #288
smally289
growing up is optional

Quote:
Originally Posted by starkersEB
Not an Australian car but the MY99? WRXsti sold for 60.000 from a dealer and then you could sel them the same day for 80,000, like i said not an aussie car but it was in australia

But wont keep appreciating like a Ph3 ...
Old 29-04-2007, 06:07 PM   #289
athol

Quote:
at least they can honestly say I used to own an XY GT HO.i wish i could.some of you really miss the point,
so what if you will never own one,its nice to dream .
there are literally hundreds of my dream type cars that i will never be able to afford but that will never stop me admiring them.
cheers Nick
I don't know what point you mean Nick, I didn't bag the car and I didn't say I wouldn't have one, and yes it would be nice to say I once owned one, what I was saying is that they have turned into a pure money making investment.

Athol.
Old 29-04-2007, 07:24 PM   #290
42 PHASE3

[QUOTE=Phase II]Bloody hell thats alot of money for that car thats had a very short hard life.
Yes its original with a few deleted options which makes it even rarer (sp?) But it needs work, Our XW sat it our shed for 19 years untill recently and looks brand new to that with 90 000 miles. No im not jealous of this car, its just a silly amount to be paying for something that needs a resto that in fact will devalue the car.

that car just needs a good clean, i agree any cosmetic touch ups will hurt its value as an unrestored orig car and be obvious to the trained eye, in a way its important to preserve the car the way it is as a resto reference for all the blokes that get it wrong with their restos because their too busy copying each other.
the magnificent original trim alone backs this cars status as a genuine low miler, the fact that all the correct date coded parts remain in place, many of which are made of unobtainium, underpin the cars high value alone.

rod
Old 30-04-2007, 07:44 PM   #291
gngtho
Banned

Ok here is one that made headline and $680 k

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegrap...006009,00.html
Old 30-04-2007, 08:13 PM   #292
Phase II
High Performance

Quote:

Whoever was a passenger for 30,000 miles needs a good kick for scuffing that kick pannel like that and the carpets worn badly and that side also.
Old 30-04-2007, 10:37 PM   #293
starkersEB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by smally351
But wont keep appreciating like a Ph3 ...
Of course not I never said that, I was just making a point that the value went up after leaving the show room..
Old 01-05-2007, 12:40 PM   #294
OLDFORDNUT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Heres the last photo's ive just received,
the new owner has specifically asked the seller not to reveal his name ,final price,or any other details,and no ive not been told details either, all i can say is its staying in VICTORIA,

Old 01-05-2007, 12:47 PM   #295
TZENU
XY Driv3r

Nice pics again Nicholas... And to think that they were selling for 50k not so long ago... Very depressing indeed.
Old 01-05-2007, 01:00 PM   #296
OLDFORDNUT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sorry if any pic has been done twice,i forgot to mention before that car has not been photographed outside or cleaned,it was sold as is in shed and he did not want it cleaned,buggered if i know why,maybe he plans on getting some pro to do it ?who knows.also buyer did not even want where in Victoria he lives revealed.
Old 01-05-2007, 01:02 PM   #297
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Quote:
Heres the last photo's ive just received,
the new owner has specifically asked the seller not to reveal his name ,final price,or any other details,and no ive not been told details either, all i can say is its staying in VICTORIA
Thanks for these new photos Nick.

I hope the new owner has a clear mind on what he wants to do with it. I think it could be a real problem what to do, whether to keep it the same (and not drive it), or keep it the same condition but running, or restoring it back to its former glory.

I would think to keep it the same condition but running would be the best option, hope the new owner thinks likewise, as it would be good to be able to see it on the road, which it was built for.
Old 01-05-2007, 01:05 PM   #298
DirtyHarry
Do you feel lucky?

Quote:
Originally Posted by athol

Athol.
Yes, and no. There may be an investment (or risk-taking) element to the purchase decision, but I couldn’t see anybody buying his car unless he was, at heart, a car enthusiast.

A straight-out investor who knows nothing about cars would probably be unwilling to risk buying something like this.

On the other hand, an enthusiast, who also happens to have some spare dollars, (well OK, a lot of spare dollars), would be more likely to buy something like this. His logic would be that he’s not so much buying the car for its investment potential, he’s buying the car because he genuinely wants it. He would probably regard himself as more of a “collector” than an “investor”.

I’m a bit of a Valiant buff myself, and some time ago I came across this article about a guy named Ivan Smith who owns 17 of the things:

Ivan Smith's Valiants

Sure, this guy has a couple of mill or more tied up in these cars, but I couldn’t call him an “investor”. First and foremost he’s an enthusiast, who collects these cars as a hobby.

I would expect that the HO has probably gone to a similar kind of person - somebody who isn’t just buying the thing with the idea that he will make a squillion on the investment – maybe he will and maybe he won’t. He would be an enthusiast who loves GTs, and has been presented with the opportunity to collect a totally original and very low mileage specimen at a price he can afford. So he’s bought it, and good on him.

Just because something costs a lot of money, or doesn't get driven, doesn’t mean it’s an “investment”.
Old 01-05-2007, 01:06 PM   #299
OLDFORDNUT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Ghia
Thanks for these new photos Nick.

I hope the new owner has a clear mind on what he wants to do with it. I think it could be a real problem what to do, whether to keep it the same (and not drive it), or keep it the same condition but running, or restoring it back to its former glory.

I would think to keep it the same condition but running would be the best option, hope the new owner thinks likewise, as it would be good to be able to see it on the road, which it was built for.
after not wanting them to even wash it id hazard a guess its not been restored as such,i dare say it will be on view somewhere in Vic before too long.
Old 01-05-2007, 01:06 PM   #300
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Quote:
[IMG]Sorry if any pic has been done twice,i forgot to mention before that car has not been photographed outside or cleaned,it was sold as is in shed and he did not want it cleaned,buggered if i know why,maybe he plans on getting some pro to do it ?who knows.also buyer did not even want where in Victoria he lives revealed.
Seems like he knows what he's doing then.
Closed Thread