Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 01-12-2014, 09:30 PM   #271
ParisManfred
1971 XY 351

Default Re: Ford announces 2016 V8 Supercars withdrawal

Disappointed YES, surprised NO.

The writing has been on the wall for all to read for quite a while. Ford USA have also pulled their longterm sponsorship from John Force's NHRA funny cars at the end of this year even though Force is the most successful driver in the category with 16 championships.

Will this decision change my car buying habits, NO WAY. I have an FG X XR8 ordered, an XY and Territory already in our garage. My son who is only 14 months old already shows a healthy interest in cars and we will share our love for the Blue Oval no matter what.

Factory support may have been withdrawn but Fords will continue to race and continue to win. Prodrive and DJR have a nation of fans and they should not, I hope will not forget this as they plan for the future.

For Ford is about product not race meetings anymore and look at the great range of product we Ford buyers have to choose from, can the same be said for the Holden fans when they choose their new Holden, I think not.

As Ford fans we have history too and plenty of it.

Le Mans 24 Hour winners
1966 - Ford GT40
1967 - Ford GT40
1968 - Ford GT40
1969 - Ford GT40
Holden/GM victories - NIL

Formula 1
Ford engines powered 10 world constructors championships
Holden/GM world constructors championships - NIL

World Rally Constructors Championships
Ford - 3
Holden/GM - NIL

The list goes on and sure Holden/GM have beaten us plenty of times too but remember Australia's most iconic muscle car is the Ford Falcon XY GT HO, even Mad Max drove Falcons.

Times and situations change but Ford, Ford vehicles and most importantly Ford fans will continue to best in the world in my eyes.

Ford Falcon FG X - the last Australian Ford legend.
2016 Territory Titanium AWD Smoke Diesel
2005 FLSTFI 15th Anniversary Fat Boy

Car History:
XY Ute, XY Ford Falcon 351, ZG Fairlane, ZH Marquis, XB GT Sedan, XC Panel Van, XD Panel Van, XE Ute, EA Sedan, BA XR8, BF XR6 Turbo Ute, FG X XR8.
ParisManfred is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2014, 09:41 PM   #272
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Fords will likely be on the grid till 2017, the new rules would make it very costly to change brands in 2016 then throw most of that gear out to do the same again the following season.

This is the wrong call by Ford for so many reasons, but its their money, just like my money is mine they can spend it how the see fit, funnily enough that will effect the way many spend there's.

I will be there supporting teams running Fords well into the future, time will bring back factory money to the ATCC and they will have to dig much deeper to buy key teams and drivers, again..
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 01-12-2014, 10:01 PM   #273
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstg8a
Why are you being so obtuse?

There's nothing to stop ford using mondeo.

I reckon good on ford for getting out, they should have done it years ago, when it became obvious it was the commodore cup instead of a true parity formula.
heathen...you shall be struck down for suggesting such a thing, how can FWD become RWD? It's not right..apparently...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndrome View Post
How are Ford going to win over the future generations of children?
Ford starting winning over future generations when they started opening AU to other cars in their global range (after introducing XR6T). The Focus ST (XR5) sold far more than Ford expected and the RS, well it just commands respect. Now the Fiesta ST is getting a similar cult following for class leading dynamics.
Mustang will do the same.
Old 01-12-2014, 10:07 PM   #274
FNQracing
RAGE Engineering

Default Re: Ford Australia to pull out of V8 Supercars at end of 2015

I'm surprised the people are surprised Ford has pulled the pin. It was so going to happen the moment the moment the Falcon died.

That aside V8SC as a category has had its day. Arguably it was several years ago. The category is meanlingless. I'm sure Holden will follow suit, but at least they'll probably see it out to the end.

Another category will emerge from the ashes of V8SC, or more likely, we'll join an international category.

V8SC was largely based around the Australian Motor Vehicle Industry. With that dead in the water, I cannot see how Australia can continue to have its own unique racing category.

Still very sad, but inevitable given Ford and Holden's exit from local design and manufacture of unique vehicles.
Old 01-12-2014, 10:08 PM   #275
XDlegacy
XD legacy

In the past privateers have kept the dream alive. These days, the privateers buy their cars (or major components for them) from the factory backed teams. So it doesn't look good for ford in the future. A very sad day, but us Ford / FPV./FPR fans are getting used to disappointment lately. Maybe in the future when Ford can't sell enough hatchbacks and SUVs because they have nothing to differentiate themselves from Kias and Hyundias, Ford might start remembering their loyal fans...if they have any left then...
XDlegacy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 01-12-2014, 10:31 PM   #276
Blem
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
This is why I gave up on the brand in 2007. They don't care about Australia. With the new COTF rules Ford could stick anybody panels on the outside to match whatever product they are trying to flog in Australia.

One more new Falcon in 2016 then I am NEVER buying another ( NEW ) Ford as long as I live.
What goes around comes around FoA/FORD
Blem is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2014, 11:01 PM   #277
Blem
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberWasp View Post
How many million people watched the end of Bathurst this year to see Ford win in the last quarter of the lap?
How many the year before with a similar result.
I might be stupid and dumb but money can't buy that kind emotion and coverage.
People can argue it hasn't translated into sales for Falcon, but imagine were Ford would be right now if they had pulled out of the series 5 years ago.
Owned other brands of transport like a mini, a Val, even bought my wife a newish Magna, etc but never a Holden.
My 10yo son is I believe & sort of hope a FORD fella but with Ford selling out of Oz production, racing & telling us what to buy, I feel less inclined to direct him.
Ford owners & enthusiasts...Forgive me
Blem is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2014, 11:16 PM   #278
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blem View Post
Owned other brands of transport like a mini, a Val, even bought my wife a newish Magna, etc but never a Holden.
My 10yo son is I believe & sort of hope a FORD fella but with Ford selling out of Oz production, racing & telling us what to buy, I feel less inclined to direct him.
Ford owners & enthusiasts...Forgive me
But WHY do you hope he will be a Ford fan? Ford is just another brand of consumable product. Its like hoping he'll buy an LG fridge when hes older, and be an LG fridge guy all his life just because you were and just because your father had an LG fridge out in the mancave.
Whats becoming clear with the millennials is that motor car ownership isn't high on the to do list when they come of age.

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 01-12-2014, 11:24 PM   #279
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Ford Australia should rename themselves to Ford Global.or simply Ford, when they pack up in 2016. They will be about as australian as McDonalds, well hold on at least McDonalds manufactures their food here and don't import it from Thailand .
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 01-12-2014, 11:28 PM   #280
XR8putts

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellw View Post
It's not a great decision in light of the legacy that Ford Australia has in racing our home-grown tin-tops but it is also fair to say that despite the popularity of the series, it has become less and less relevant to the average punter.

We are different as we are predominantly enthusiasts of the brand and the reality is that as long as Ford provide a product that roughly fits our selection criteria at the time, then we will buy it regardless of whether something similar looking runs around in circles on a track or not.

It is, ironically, of more value to Volvo as it helps lift both brand awareness and brand image (hat wearing old man's car for example) despite the fact that you can't buy a V8 Volvo. The intrinsic value is enough and that's why they are in it.

The Ford product mix ahead will have some exciting cars but none of them a Falcon and on that basis the current V8 series is of no value to the brand. Potentially the production series might be and I'd not be surprised to see some dollars heading that way if that series can actually manage to get itself a decent TV deal and develop a real presence. The racing is inherently close, the cars largely unmolested and the budgets required are considerably smaller. It's a bit like the ATCC of the 70's.

The reality is that performance models are a small percentage of the volumes that are needed for a vehicle line / model to be successful and the performance variants (like Focus ST) exist to both fill that niche market and to impart a halo effect on the lesser models or represent an aspirational choice. They probably make up less than 5% of any model sales which is where the (recent years) Falcon has been something of an aberration as those percentages have been a bit higher than normal. Performance leaders like Mustang (another aspirational / hero car) are a different case but their volumes will never be sufficient to justify the investment in a series lice the V8's (or whatever they brand themselves as post 2016).

I have an appreciation for the history left behind but this racing series outgrew itself well before COTF which was really just the final nail and I really think it's the right time to get out. All we can hope is that the FG-X look-alike gets a decent season (or two) send off.

Cheers
Russ
Thanks Ford Public Relations.
XR8putts is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 02-12-2014, 12:10 AM   #281
GCRXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FNQracing View Post
I'm surprised the people are surprised Ford has pulled the pin. It was so going to happen the moment the moment the Falcon died.

That aside V8SC as a category has had its day. Arguably it was several years ago. The category is meanlingless. I'm sure Holden will follow suit, but at least they'll probably see it out to the end.

Another category will emerge from the ashes of V8SC, or more likely, we'll join an international category.

V8SC was largely based around the Australian Motor Vehicle Industry. With that dead in the water, I cannot see how Australia can continue to have its own unique racing category.

Still very sad, but inevitable given Ford and Holden's exit from local design and manufacture of unique vehicles.
Thumbs up...quote of the thread....
Old 02-12-2014, 12:41 AM   #282
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
How are Ford going to win over the future generations of children?
With good product.

Just like people are less likely to vote for the party mum/dad voted for, people are less likely to show brand loyalty. Features win, not history.
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2014, 12:44 AM   #283
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV8U View Post
just like my money is mine they can spend it how the see fit, funnily enough that will effect the way many spend there's.
Your definition of many is probably different to Ford's, and the biggest reason why they're leaving.
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2014, 04:36 AM   #284
OZQUAD44
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This just sucks, losing the falcon sucks, no ford representation in motor racing sucks, the general apathy of so called "Australian ford enthusiasts" on an Australian ford forum sucks, and worst of all the total disregard by the parent company of the greatest rear wheel drive sedan ford has ever produced.... It just Sucks

As some bright spark once said, Stand for something or fall for anything. I have stood for the Falcon for many years. I believed in the Falcon, what it represented, and the rich history of Australian Motorsport it helped create. I took my hat off to the many people behind the falcon, and the quality of the car they produced despite the meagre budgets allocated to each model. I applauded the high Australian content in each car, an achievement that never got the air time it deserved.

I cursed reading reviews of the Falcon by so called journalists who clearly had a FoA axe to grind, or had their pay checks provided by the opposition. I looked on with great suspicion at Motorsport officialdom who managed to introduce rules which managed to hobble the Falcon just prior to the great race, or alternatively never seem to react when the falcon aero package was clearly inferior to what was applied to other makes.

I was always proud of the way blue oval race teams, in a sea of red, managed to claw their way to the top of the podium despite being out numbered, out supported, and out financed. And I have always been proud of how long the falcon nameplate survived in Australia despite poor government policy, short sighted unions, a strong Australian dollar, poor marketing of the product, at times poor dealer service, and a parent company who clearly does not give a toss.

Unfortunately, I am part of a dying breed in this country. Someone who wants to buy an Australian rear wheel drive sedan. Even if it means I get no lane departure warning, I have to reverse parallel park all by myself, or have to endure a seating position that is ever so slightly different to other cars..... God forbid! I think a few too many of us have been living a little to high on the pig of late, and I suspect we have lost our way a little.

So, yes, I lament the loss of the Falcon, and I lament the loss of Ford from Australian motor sport, and I'm ****ed that I am so disappointed about the loss of the falcon but it appears not many other Aussies share this view.

But I have determined it's not all bad:

No longer will I have to endure one sided automotive media "reviews" by people who don't give a toss or completely missed the point,
No longer will I have to care about a car because after 2016 they are all "fridges" to me,
No longer will I have to ruin my weekends sitting inside watching V8 super cars,
No longer will I have to put up with lousy ford dealer service departments, and
There is a good chance my Falcon in the shed will start appreciating in value.

Good luck to anyone who got to the bottom of this post. No insult intended to anyone in particular. I suspect I'm just getting old!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
OZQUAD44 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2014, 06:25 AM   #285
Guzz226

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretched View Post
for the third time, do the V8 supercar series support a two door shell?
If they dont then what do Ford run? A car that won't exist?

I think their options were limited by the series.

Open your eyes and have a look around the world and you can see where these cars are raced.
The COTF II white paper to be released at Sydney 500 is supposed to purpose both 2 doors and engines other than v8s

Specs to come in 2017 - a year earlier than originally intended and due to the end of local manufacturing.

Sadly this seemed to have Mustang written all over it.
Guzz226 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2014, 06:49 AM   #286
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Only ever owned fords but you know what..my next ride may well be a GEN F..
GS608 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2014, 06:49 AM   #287
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by puts99 View Post
Thanks Ford Public Relations.
Another quote like that and you'll be having a holiday. If you don't like my POV then feel free to debate it.

Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2014, 07:06 AM   #288
jandj

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisManfred View Post

The writing has been on the wall for all to read for quite a while. Ford USA have also pulled their longterm sponsorship from John Force's NHRA funny cars at the end of this year even though Force is the most successful driver in the category with 16 championships.

Will this decision change my car buying habits, NO WAY. I have an FG X XR8 ordered, an XY and Territory already in our garage. My son who is only 14 months old already shows a healthy interest in cars and we will share our love for the Blue Oval no matter what.

Factory support may have been withdrawn but Fords will continue to race and continue to win. Prodrive and DJR have a nation of fans and they should not, I hope will not forget this as they plan for the future.

For Ford is about product not race meetings anymore and look at the great range of product we Ford buyers have to choose from, can the same be said for the Holden fans when they choose their new Holden, I think not.

Le Mans 24 Hour winners
1966 - Ford GT40
1967 - Ford GT40
1968 - Ford GT40
1969 - Ford GT40

Formula 1

Ford - 3
Holden/GM - NIL

The list goes on and sure Holden/GM have beaten us plenty of times too but remember Australia's most iconic muscle car is the Ford Falcon XY GT HO, even Mad Max drove Falcons.

Times and situations change but Ford, Ford vehicles and most importantly Ford fans will continue to best in the world in my eyes.

Exactly my thoughts mate, I am I disappointed with the decision yes. The number of years I watched V8 super cars where there rules favoured another brand, how's is that fair. Also how ford have been treated by the media, there's only so many times you get knocked down.
On the other hand if ford are serious about selling a product here in oz, they really need to work on there customer support/ relationship. It doesn't matter whether your buying a base model or top line model, we as the customer should be number 1.
Will it stop me from buying another ford no.
jandj is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2014, 07:28 AM   #289
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Has anybody stopped and thought for a minute.

• Next year, the V8sc's will only have 6 free-to-air races shown in Australia.
  • The people that watch the races can be split in two basic catagories:
    • those who are passionate about the brand, know the product and by the product regardless who wins.
    • those that follow the races, perhaps a team, driver or make...but aren't swayed by the race wins when it comes to purchasing the product.
  • For 20 years, the category has been about the Falcon for ford fans, no doubt that's why many of us watch it, with the falcon gone, so will some veiwers...
  • Its only the V8sc's that ford are talking about, the rest of the racing catagories in Australia could be open. Who knows? Ford might feel a Mustang winning at the Bathurst 12hr might be more marketable?
  • Toyota, Mazda, Volkswagen, Hyundai etc have done well without racing here In the V8's.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 02-12-2014, 08:03 AM   #290
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

Quote:

Spot on. Take the emotion out of it and this post sum's it up........
Old 02-12-2014, 08:15 AM   #291
MethodX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisManfred View Post

Le Mans 24 Hour winners
1966 - Ford GT40
1967 - Ford GT40
1968 - Ford GT40
1969 - Ford GT40

Formula 1

Ford - 3
Holden/GM - NIL

Cosworth made the f1 engines, they just had Ford on the rocker covers.
The Le Mans wins were done by using a big engine and spending advantage.
MethodX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2014, 08:18 AM   #292
Moby Vic
Cynical Idealist

Quote:
I recently read an article in Racecar Engineering about the upcoming changes to DTM. They're switching from naturally aspirated V8s to turbo fours. The rules for DTM, IMSA in the US, and GT500 in Japan will all be the same for 2017, opening the possibility of true global competition.

I suppose V8 Supercars could do the same thing, but they'd have to come up with a new name!
Old 02-12-2014, 08:46 AM   #293
mytgxl
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ford said they want to pay more attention to consumer experience! I can`t see how Ford are going to do that when they don't have any consumers! Try bloody listening to your consumers in the first place and you would quickly learn that we don`t want you to pull out of racing in Australia you stupid idiots!
Old 02-12-2014, 09:30 AM   #294
xr6tjet
[AUT-747]

Funny thing is that at the Falcon Fanatics event, Bob Grazino announced that Ford will be in the V8 supercars as long as they are around... Only for this **** to happen..?
xr6tjet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2014, 10:13 AM   #295
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr6tjet View Post
Funny thing is that at the Falcon Fanatics event, Bob Grazino announced that Ford will be in the V8 supercars as long as they are around... Only for this **** to happen..?
Well he was right in a way. Ford Aus is finishing in 2016.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2014, 10:27 AM   #296
Moby Vic
Cynical Idealist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mytgxl View Post
Ford said they want to pay more attention to consumer experience! I can`t see how Ford are going to do that when they don't have any consumers! Try bloody listening to your consumers in the first place and you would quickly learn that we don`t want you to pull out of racing in Australia you stupid idiots!
But staying in racing means investing millions of dollars. As someone else has mentioned, Ford is cutting racing programs in the US as well. (But maybe they're just cutting John Force loose because he used to race in Australia and Ford clearly hates Australia.)
Old 02-12-2014, 10:28 AM   #297
Moby Vic
Cynical Idealist

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr6tjet View Post
As long as Falcons are around, yes, apparently.
Old 02-12-2014, 11:36 AM   #298
Lukeyson
Right out sideways

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtremerus View Post
Holden in the same boat.
Ford just happened to make the announcement now.
Holden will follow, just like announcing their production closure after Ford did.
Except Holden at least committed to HRT & 888 for a further 2 years (2015/2016) falling in line with when local production ends, which has me wondering that Ford are aware they probably will be ending production early, or once they have finished building the XR8's on order

Sucks this news is out already, already copping so much crap from Holden mates. But oh wells, I really hope when the new regs come in, there will be some official Ford presence on track.

Just glad I made it to my first (and probably last) Bathurst 1000 this year
Old 02-12-2014, 11:49 AM   #299
Guzz226

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
exactly.

also, FPR losing Ford backing is no different to them losing Pepsi Max backing. manufacturers are just sponsors. the bonus is they usually have deeper pockets than most other companies (apart from redbull, vodafone etc)

what does Ford give v8sc other than financial support??
Financially in terms of dollars in they are both sponsors.

Changing the "car" you race has a lot of technical and manufacturing ramifications for a race team - it is much easier to change your decals and race shirts from Pepsi to Coca-Cola than it is to change your cars from Ford Falcons to Mazda 6s.

It is much harder and involved to change brands than it is to change naming sponsors.
Old 02-12-2014, 11:59 AM   #300
Guzz226

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Vic View Post
I recently read an article in Racecar Engineering about the upcoming changes to DTM. They're switching from naturally aspirated V8s to turbo fours. The rules for DTM, IMSA in the US, and GT500 in Japan will all be the same for 2017, opening the possibility of true global competition.

I suppose V8 Supercars could do the same thing, but they'd have to come up with a new name!
The name V8Supercars and branding is changing after this weekend.........