Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 22-03-2010, 07:42 PM   #301
Falcon_Power_06

First of all ill state that I dont agree with smashing the Bob Jane shop but i do understand the frustration of everyone who was there.

Most people on here only see the worse parts of the night through the media...Because you was not there so how can you all comment? This is how i seen the night hopefully i can shed some light on what actually happend...

It all started off peaceful....there was a petition going around and it was all fine...the police were in front of kfc for most of the time and the chopper was in the air... Time went on and idiots who were drinking got rowdy... Im gonna put it down to 2 people in holden ute's who started revving them while waiting at the lights, So the half drunk crowd all surrounded the ute's hoping for a burnout...(there was no burnout) thats when everyone poured onto the road blocking it off.

After the crowd all went onto road the police moved probably 700-800m down the road to block the road off. I assume it was to stop people getting ran over and to stop innocent motorists getting caught up in it all. Thats when the worst of it happened. Flares were lit and thrown around. From what i seen none were directed at police cars but i think that glass bottles were. From then onwards its wat you have seen in the media..A small group of the 2000+ people who were there started smashing the Bob Jane shop.
[IMG]
http://i664.photobucket.com/albums/v...9032010121.jpg [/IMG]

The cops then charge in and everyone left.
I dont agree with smashing the windows at bob jane. But the protest was a good idea. I dont know if it was organized with good intentions but i do doubt it tho. I think it should have been during the day but i do see the reason why it was held at night was because the NEW generation of enthusiasts spend there time cruising on Princes HWY friday nights.

I dont think this one single thing has ruined the modified car scene. The modified car scene has been ruined years back when most of you so called REAL enthusiasts used to go out and race, On the street just like the new generation are now. So just because you dont go out anymore dose that mean your now a REAL enthusiast?. The laws they have today must have been brought on by a precedent it couldn't possibly be the 18yo's who only just got there licence. It has to be the people who used to go out and take part in the dandy drags etc.

There is heaps of other stuff i was going to write here too but i cant be bothered mainly because this whole post will probably get deleted anyway for having a diffrent opinion.
Old 22-03-2010, 08:02 PM   #302
DTFRMONT

I wonder how long until Calder is sold off for housing.

If you don't think it'll happen, you only have to look at what the AFL did to Waverley Park..........
Old 22-03-2010, 08:19 PM   #303
artwebber

falcon power 06 totaly agree with u there i was there as well and only those who were there can realy comment on it allso yea the car scene was gone way before this i know heaps of older guys in there late 20's early 30's that used to go to the dande drags and 1 who organized them as well they were the reason the car scene has turned to ****** everyone looks back on the dande drags and how bad it was.

allso if ur affraid to go out and drive ur hotted up cars now dont cry about it nothing has changed and if u get done its ur own falt not the HOONS that caused the riot dont blame them for ur ticket or defect.
Old 22-03-2010, 10:02 PM   #304
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTFRMONT
I wonder how long until Calder is sold off for housing.

If you don't think it'll happen, you only have to look at what the AFL did to Waverley Park..........
Bob has stated he will never sell Calder Park, its also written in the family trust that his sons cant sell it, how this will stand up in years to come we shall wait and see.
Land tax alone on Calder Park is approx $350,000 a year.

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
Old 22-03-2010, 10:31 PM   #305
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

There is no defending a "protest" starting so late, there was a single reason for that which we all know.
Old 22-03-2010, 11:13 PM   #306
Argonautica
www.argonautica.com.au

Note sure if anyone has posted this prior, but James Merlino (Minister for Sport, Recreation, Youth Affairs and Minister Assisting the Premier on Multicultural Affairs) http://www.premier.vic.gov.au/minist...w&id=13...also my local member (Monbulk) stated on camera (courtesy of Channel 9):

"Why would Victorian tax payers be willing to invest up to $60 Million in the drag racing facility when we see this kind of behavior on the streets”

Words fail me...
Old 22-03-2010, 11:15 PM   #307
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Press rewind : I'll say it again.

You dont organise a "protest" at 11.30 PM, when all the little rock spiders come out at night.

ITS THAT SIMPLE.

Stop calling it a bloody protest. How many times does it need to be said??
If you cant understand why you dont organsie something in the middle of the night then go home and play your PS2.....

It was an excuse to riot.

Those who "organised" it at night have got rocks in their head and have not got one clue.
The more some of the members on this forum keep blaming the government for their woes and finding excuses for a bunch of drunken 20yrs old yobbos, the worse we all look!

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Old 22-03-2010, 11:28 PM   #308
fakegt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm a little bit dumbfounded by the way the Police handled this situation. Going by Artwebbers post(#5) on the 16th of March he clearly states that a Riot is planned for the Friday Night on the Princess Hwy http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...5&page=1&pp=30
I take it this SMS spread pretty quickly and also this sort of talk was on many car Forums.
My Question is "Why were'nt the Police prepared for this?" Surely in this day and age they should of had a few more cars out front of BJ's and if they had this thing would'nt have kicked of at all. So if the Police were there from the start(Were they?) and new about this "Protest" why did'nt they warn the francise owner prior?
I suppose what I'm getting at is if they can't prevent a pack of poorly organised yobs doing this sort of thing with all their available inteligence, how are they going to stop some well trained terrorists?

Lets not let this sort of thing happen again
Dave
Old 22-03-2010, 11:33 PM   #309
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fakegt
I'm a little bit dumbfounded by the way the Police handled this situation. Going by Artwebbers post(#5) on the 16th of March he clearly states that a Riot is planned for the Friday Night on the Princess Hwy http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...5&page=1&pp=30
I take it this SMS spread pretty quickly and also this sort of talk was on many car Forums.
My Question is "Why were'nt the Police prepared for this?" Surely in this day and age they should of had a few more cars out front of BJ's and if they had this thing would'nt have kicked of at all. So if the Police were there from the start(Were they?) and new about this "Protest" why did'nt they warn the francise owner prior?
I suppose what I'm getting at is if they can't prevent a pack of poorly organised yobs doing this sort of thing with all their available inteligence, how are they going to stop some well trained terrorists?

Lets not let this sort of thing happen again
Dave
There was a spokesman for the Police Union i think who said that staff numbers were not available etc... and said that only 100 officers could attend because of shortages and were calling on the minister to employ more Police.

He said something like "We only had 100 officers available that night and over 2000 rioters....."

Which when you consider how large Melb is, its pretty sad!

Old 22-03-2010, 11:41 PM   #310
xdc351
X-Series Club Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Goose
Press rewind : I'll say it again.

You dont organise a "protest" at 11.30 PM, when all the little rock spiders come out at night.

ITS THAT SIMPLE.

Stop calling it a bloody protest. How many times does it need to be said??
If you cant understand why you dont organsie something in the middle of the night then go home and play your PS2.....

It was an excuse to riot.

Those who "organised" it at night have got rocks in their head and have not got one clue.
The more some of the members on this forum keep blaming the government for their woes and finding excuses for a bunch of drunken 20yrs old yobbos, the worse we all look!
Jim, I'll save you the trouble of rewinding yet again. The protest was not started with the intention of being a riot! The very detailed post above by by Falcon_Power_06 has clarified this.

Even the papers are calling it a friendly protest gone wrong.

Yes, the protest organisers were dumb and should have listened to the advice given to them, but they weren't and didn't and now have to explain themselves to the police but was not an organised riot!
Old 22-03-2010, 11:43 PM   #311
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yet earlier in the week, Tuesday in fact, artwebber posted that He and others were angry and that they were going to protest and riot on princess hwy....

Old 22-03-2010, 11:44 PM   #312
fakegt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
There was a spokesman for the Police Union i think who said that staff numbers were not available etc... and said that only 100 officers could attend because of shortages and were calling on the minister to employ more Police.

He said something like "We only had 100 officers available that night and over 2000 rioters....."

Which when you consider how large Melb is, its pretty sad!
I really don't think some of those guys would of had the guts to attack the store if even only 10 armed police were out the front.
Old 22-03-2010, 11:44 PM   #313
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7news
Victorian Police have charged a man over Friday night's riot at Oakleigh in south-east Melbourne.

Maxwell ( name removed ), 21, faced an out-of-sessions court hearing at Narre Warren, charged with riotous behaviour, affray and criminal damage.

The charges relate to the protest outside a tyre dealership after the cancellation of the Easternats car-racing event.

Lawson has been remanded in custody to appear in the Melbourne Magistrates Court tomorrow.
wonder if they will throw the book at him

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 22-03-2010, 11:45 PM   #314
calais
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

100 Police and 2000 rioting morons.

Should have deployed tear gas and water cannons.

Precedents have been set in Europe to govern this time of idiotic behaviour that has beset Soccer and other sporting fans across the EU for years. As soon as there is any sign of riotous activity, the Fuzz are there with the ability to stamp it out and arrest the temporarily incapacitated offenders.

The way I see it, If the Victorian police force has enough cops to fine people for the most mundane of offences, and they let a PLANNED riot like this unfold, I'd be calling for the resignation of the Police minister and the Police chief Commissioner (The Head Cop guy, or whatever the Victorian Police call him).

Shame.

As a Vehicle and Motorsport enthusiast, I have nothing but complete contempt for the way these people (rioters) have conducted themselves. And I won't be tarred with the brush that the media are brandishing either.
Old 22-03-2010, 11:48 PM   #315
Argonautica
www.argonautica.com.au

It would be good to hear what the "AFF" collective position is on this issue.

What is the AFF going to do about this issue and the issues it has raised? (if at all)

Is there some direction from AFF for Forum members?

Thanks
Old 22-03-2010, 11:50 PM   #316
xdc351
X-Series Club Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Yet earlier in the week, Tuesday in fact, artwebber posted that He and others were angry and that they were going to protest and riot on princess hwy....
And perhaps he could explain himself on those comments because he's done himself no favours.

There may well have been an element that attended wanting to cause trouble, but I do not think it is fair to attack the misguided people that started the protest as "organised rioters" and its getting awful tiresome having to read about it over and over again.
Old 22-03-2010, 11:52 PM   #317
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdc351
Jim, I'll save you the trouble of rewinding yet again. The protest was not started with the intention of being a riot! The very detailed post above by by Falcon_Power_06 has clarified this.

Even the papers are calling it a friendly protest gone wrong.

Yes, the protest organisers were dumb and should have listened to the advice given to them, but they weren't and didn't and now have to explain themselves to the police but was not an organised riot!

Several years ago just before Easternats, did not a riot occur just up the road from Sandown raceway? Was not a Video shop trashed and robbed?

It occured (from memory) late at night with some 1000 mostly 20yr olds who were all "car enthusiasts" Read- street racing and causing mayhem.

So tell me again.... It was a "protest" at night at 11.30PM.

These uneducated morons decided to meet at night, under the cover of darkness like little criminals. Not brave enough to been seen in daylight.
Sure hey you can say a "petition" was handed out.... great.
Thoughful idea, but looking at footage im doubtful anyone there could write their name or even count to 10.

I dont think i saw the faces of anyone there who was mature enough to shave or wear anything but a training bra.

And like I said, if people don't want to distance themselves from this "car enthusists protest", then good luck to you all.

Old 22-03-2010, 11:55 PM   #318
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
And perhaps he could explain himself on those comments because he's done himself no favours.

There may well have been an element that attended wanting to cause trouble, but I do not think it is fair to attack the misguided people that started the protest as "organised rioters" and its getting awful tiresome having to read about it over and over again.
Well what's that saying? "anything you say can and will be ...."

Old 22-03-2010, 11:58 PM   #319
xdc351
X-Series Club Moderator

Quote:
Several years ago just before Easternats, did not a riot occur just up the road from Sandown raceway? Was not a Video shop trashed and robbed?

It occured (from memory) late at night with some 1000 mostly 20yr olds who were all "car enthusiasts" Read- street racing and causing mayhem.

So tell me again.... It was a "protest" at night at 11.30PM.

These uneducated morons decided to meet at night, under the cover of darkness like little criminals. Not brave enough to been seen in daylight.
Sure hey you can say a "petition" was handed out.... great.
Thoughful idea, but looking at footage im doubtful anyone there could write their name or even count to 10.

I dont think i saw the faces of anyone there who was mature enough to shave or wear anything but a training bra.

And like I said, if people don't want to distance themselves from this "car enthusists protest", then good luck to you all.
I'm not defending the protest organisers and if you read the linked thread about the easternats being cancelled you'll see I was one of many that warned it would wind up being a bad idea.

Call it whatever you want. If you have proof that everyone there was there solely to riot and cause trouble then please share it with everyone so we can all move on.
Old 23-03-2010, 12:00 AM   #320
xdc351
X-Series Club Moderator

Quote:
Well what's that saying? "anything you say can and will be ...."
And if he was one of the ones invloved I'm sure it will be found as such and he will find out about it pretty quickly.

There have been more than enough examples and even posts in this thread from people that attended purely to protest and with no intention of rioting, so what exactly is your point?
Old 23-03-2010, 12:03 AM   #321
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Im sorry im recalling my youth, that when we all were asked to meet at a place late at night it was to rumble.... not wave banners or slogans.

So it was no ones intension... it just happened that way. Interesting thought.

Old 23-03-2010, 12:06 AM   #322
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
And if he was one of the ones invloved I'm sure it will be found as such and he will find out about it pretty quickly.

There have been more than enough examples and even posts in this thread from people that attended purely to protest and with no intention of rioting, so what exactly is your point?
Anyone who attended is guilty to some extent..

Old 23-03-2010, 12:11 AM   #323
xdc351
X-Series Club Moderator

Quote:
Anyone who attended is guilty to some extent..
Everyone is guilty? Is that because you don't like the people that attended? Or you've got nothing else?

Absolutely the biggest load of pig crap I've ever heard.
Old 23-03-2010, 12:13 AM   #324
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Ok... why would ANYONE want to go to a "protest" at 11.30PM ?
What is the possible outcome given the time of night?
The chances that "drunken" yobs will be out in force?
What did they hope to achieve but showing up at 11.30PM?
The only you do by showing up at that hour is say im a street racer, this is the normal hour I attend street racing, all my street racing buddies will be there.....

Old 23-03-2010, 12:15 AM   #325
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Everyone is guilty? Is that because you don't like the people that attended? Or you've got nothing else?

Absolutely the biggest load of pig crap I've ever heard.
Were you there...?

It was obvious as early as last Tuesday this was going to end in tears and guess what.. It did.

All I'm saying is common sense to any reasonable person says stay away...

Old 23-03-2010, 12:15 AM   #326
xdc351
X-Series Club Moderator

Quote:
Ok... why would ANYONE want to go to a "protest" at 11.30PM ?
What is the possible outcome given the time of night?
The chances that "drunken" yobs will be out in force?
What did they hope to achieve but showing up at 11.30PM?
The only you do by showing up at that hour is say im a street racer, this is the normal hour I attend street racing, all my street racing buddies will be there.....
Yeah my bad, they must have been following your example and showing up for a rumble.
Old 23-03-2010, 12:17 AM   #327
xdc351
X-Series Club Moderator

Quote:
Were you there...?
No.

Do you have evidence to prove your conspiracy theories? Because I do.
Old 23-03-2010, 12:18 AM   #328
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argonautica
It would be good to hear what the "AFF" collective position is on this issue.

What is the AFF going to do about this issue and the issues it has raised? (if at all)

Is there some direction from AFF for Forum members?

Thanks
Hi Craig, Post 82 by Russellw, has outlined a direction.

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
Old 23-03-2010, 12:20 AM   #329
Argonautica
www.argonautica.com.au

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoolMan
Hi Craig, Post 82 by Russellw, has outlined a direction.
Thanks Mark.
Old 23-03-2010, 12:21 AM   #330
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yeah my bad, they must have been following your example and showing up for a rumble.
Again... I'll ask the question, for what purposes would you attend a so-called protest at 11.30PM????

Why would anyone organise a so-called protest at 11.30PM?

Its a simple question...

Closed Thread