Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 13-12-2013, 06:47 PM   #331
OCTANEBOSS

Default Re: Holden closure

Would it be possible to bring back tariffs on imported cars that could cover the shortfall the Australian car manufacturers need to keep people in jobs for a bit longer so we can come up with a better solution to the manufacturing problems we have. If the offshore manufacturers don't like it they can always import them somewhere else. No doubt there will be a hundreds of reasons this cant happen, but who cares, its our country, our jobs & our future. Listening to whats been happening recently has made me realize some things are worth protecting. Are car industry is one of them along with the others
This user likes this post:
Old 13-12-2013, 06:50 PM   #332
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by redloamrules View Post
Would it be possible to bring back tariffs on imported cars that could cover the shortfall the Australian car manufacturers need to keep people in jobs for a bit longer so we can come up with a better solution to the manufacturing problems we have. If the offshore manufacturers don't like it they can always import them somewhere else. No doubt there will be a hundreds of reasons this cant happen, but who cares, its our country, our jobs & our future. Listening to whats been happening recently has made me realize some things are worth protecting. Are car industry is one of them along with the others
Too late now. The horse has bolted

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Old 13-12-2013, 06:59 PM   #333
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 
Default Re: Holden closes in 2017 official announcement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Express View Post

That’s my slant on it. Good cars were let down by not keeping pace with the creature comforts most people love. If the buying public were all performance enthusiasts Ford and Holden would out sell everything on the market but most people care little about performance and those things that mean less to us killed these two brands.

And, to follow on from this, one main aim of the "Button Plan" was to help improve the technology and features of the local made cars...

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Old 13-12-2013, 07:34 PM   #334
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Would you say then that if someone like FPV spent the money on tit bits rather than a supercharger and stuck with the n/a 5.0 ...... would that have boosted things along? Same as Holden. Drop both Omega and XT (Both stupid and downgrading names) and concentrated on the cup holders, keyless start etc? Possibly worked on a smaller sized model like C'dore was back in the day when the VB vs XD big vs small was happening?

Would have there been a different scenario to what is today?

While the S/C GT is what made me buy one, I cannot beleive the amount of people who wanted it, would buy it and then didn't. It wasn't because of the lack of HP. HSV have less but sold more!

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
7 users like this post:
Old 13-12-2013, 07:42 PM   #335
OCTANEBOSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by kypez View Post
Too late now. The horse has bolted

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Agreed & the gate has been open for decades. The problem with our leaders today is that they do not have big enough testicles or front bums to stand up and do anything about it.
2 users like this post:
Old 13-12-2013, 08:16 PM   #336
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Holden closes in 2017 official announcement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by superyob View Post
Hypothetical scenario (and I am not trying to be smart here) - I am going to trade in my old ZD for a new Jap/Euro... What gadgets will they have that are so important that would impress me?
its subjective, so I don't know what you'd find useful. but for me, things like Bluetooth, MP3 playback, reverse camera, parking sensors, seat heating, blindspot warning, etc... they are certainly handy for me to have, and would sway me from another vehicle that wasn't much better to drive.

go have a look at the std equipment list on a VF redline for example... it puts FPVs to shame which cost a bunch more.

performance isn't everything. for a daily driver, creature comforts can make a big difference to some, certainly explains why HSV continue to flog FPV in the sales charts.
Old 13-12-2013, 08:21 PM   #337
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auslandau View Post
Would you say then that if someone like FPV spent the money on tit bits rather than a supercharger and stuck with the n/a 5.0 ...... would that have boosted things along?
look at the VF redline. big on equipment, low on power (compared to HSV/FPV), and Holden cant make enough of them. the same is true of HSV, not as much go but way more bling, for more money.
Old 13-12-2013, 08:48 PM   #338
stevz
Banned

So if there was a choice between a Hyundai Getz loaded to the brim with luxury items and gadgets, or a GT 335 stripped to basic bare bones spec, which would people take?
Going by the logic of some here, they would take the Getz. How sad.
7 users like this post:
Old 14-12-2013, 12:28 AM   #339
TC200six
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

http://www.facebook.com/generalmotors

I see a lot of protesting on the General Motors Facebook page, mostly by a user named Matt Brokenbrough. They want GM to overturn their decision and continue making the Commodore forever. Yeah, good luck with that.
Old 14-12-2013, 12:43 AM   #340
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

I think another four years production of Commodore is very optimistic.
Old 14-12-2013, 12:43 AM   #341
flooded one
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevz View Post
So if there was a choice between a Hyundai Getz loaded to the brim with luxury items and gadgets, or a GT 335 stripped to basic bare bones spec, which would people take?
why are you comparing two completely different types of cars??? the average person that buys a Getz isn't gunna go after a supercharged V8 and likewise, someone looking at a GT 335 isn't going to look at a Getz.
6 users like this post:
Old 14-12-2013, 01:00 AM   #342
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by redloamrules View Post
Hmm...force people to buy a near-$40,000 (or more) large six cylinder sedan when they don't actually want or need one by artificially raising the price on vehicles that they actually need or want...?

Yep...got good idea written all over it, doesn't it...

One of the "reasons it can't happen"...probably the main reason...is a simple one-word answer: "retaliation". If we heavily penalised imported cars to the extent needed to bring their price up to be equal to or more than the locally built pair of large cars (because it's only Falcon and Commodore we're talking about, two minor badges in a huge local line-up from both makers), then good luck trying to export food, minerals, or anything else to those countries affected. The trade barriers would come up overnight and we'd be ruined in ways that would affect us far worse than the dropping of two low-selling unpopular models of car.

As hard as it is for some people to believe, when the overwhelming majority of buyers go to purchase a car, they couldn't give a rats rectum about 0-100 times or quarter mile times...hell, beyond "how many cylinders has it got?", nearly all buyers don't even know or care how much power a car has, or which end is doing the driving.
That's the reality that Ford with the Falcon and Holden with the Commodore don't seem to have understood. Produce a car that people want in economically viable numbers, at a competitive price, and buyers will come.

Last edited by 2011G6E; 14-12-2013 at 01:26 AM.
2 users like this post:
Old 14-12-2013, 01:24 AM   #343
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
I think another four years production of Commodore is very optimistic.
if the sales remain at reasonable levels, I imagine they'll want to recoup as much of their VF investment as possible. it remains to be seen what the effect on sales this decision has.
Old 14-12-2013, 03:24 AM   #344
UberKnee
The One Who Knocks

Quote:
The thing that alot of enthusiasts don't seem to understand is that we are a minority. Most people aren't enthusiasts, they just want a car to drive around in. They dont need a blown 5 litre V8 putting out 400kw they just need a nice enough car that's reliable and can fit all the kids in. In those 2 cars you offered up there a comfortable, well spec'd, reliable Getz would be more desirable to the average buyer than an uncomfortable, featureless GT that's basically just a motor with wheels and seats. For daily commuting the Getz would tick alot more boxes than a stripped out GT, and even without being stripped out the GT's are very lacking when it comes to features.
Old 14-12-2013, 03:38 AM   #345
fte50
T3FTE -099. OnTemp Loan

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberKnee View Post
Most people aren't enthusiasts, they just want a car to drive around in. They dont need a blown 5 litre V8 putting out 400kw they just need a nice enough car that's reliable and can fit all the kids in.
Your right in saying majority are'nt enthusiasts, but the only thing most of this lot care about is the badge and the perceived image they think it brings.
They would tolerate driving a road grader if it adorned the badge of luxury.

Warning - This users posts are classified (G).

G (General) – Contains material intended for general viewing. The content is very mild in impact.
IT IS STRONGLY ADVISED SENSITIVE ADULTS VIEW IN THE COMPANY OF CHILDREN
Old 14-12-2013, 07:05 AM   #346
stevz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildrider View Post
why are you comparing two completely different types of cars??? the average person that buys a Getz isn't gunna go after a supercharged V8 and likewise, someone looking at a GT 335 isn't going to look at a Getz.
Have you not read anything in this thread?
Old 14-12-2013, 09:01 AM   #347
PepeLePew
Workshop & Performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberKnee View Post
The thing that alot of enthusiasts don't seem to understand is that we are a minority. Most people aren't enthusiasts, they just want a car to drive around in. They dont need a blown 5 litre V8 putting out 400kw they just need a nice enough car that's reliable and can fit all the kids in. In those 2 cars you offered up there a comfortable, well spec'd, reliable Getz would be more desirable to the average buyer than an uncomfortable, featureless GT that's basically just a motor with wheels and seats. For daily commuting the Getz would tick alot more boxes than a stripped out GT, and even without being stripped out the GT's are very lacking when it comes to features.
To be a tad fair in our scathing comments about GT's features VE was no better. FG has had a long stay between drinks and next year we'll have gadget city sans GT unfortunately. It's interesting to reflect that one vehicle that did a great job in shifting the market to the SUV style vehicle was the Territory. Did we shoot ourselves in the foot? For once Ford Aus spotted a niche, made a helluva successful pitch at it that still works today. But IMHO a cannibal factor in Falcons numbers.
Old 14-12-2013, 09:44 AM   #348
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son View Post
if the sales remain at reasonable levels, I imagine they'll want to recoup as much of their VF investment as possible. it remains to be seen what the effect on sales this decision has.
You can't trust GM, they say one thing and then do another..

Cruze model change over break point is late 2015, early 2016 so a big chunk of production will end then.
Sales of Commodore have barely cracked 3,000 even when coupled with heavily discounted VEs.
Plenty of SS stock at dealerships but everyone wants SSV, go figure, Omega and SV6 sales coming back
as fleets buy up the last of VE stock..

If the parts supplier base is terminal, logic dictates all three will probably cease around the end of 2016..
that's about 3-6 months after the next election in 2016.
Old 14-12-2013, 09:47 AM   #349
jamies

The company that do HSV fusion Automotive they are already looking for other options of cars once HSV close..
Old 14-12-2013, 09:54 AM   #350
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Have you not read anything in this thread?

Have you?

The original point was that for the amount of money you fork out for a $75000 + local car, its equipment levels didn't reflect the (subjective) value in the price, given that imports have (again, subjective) a higher level of equipment.

The original point also showed that this bloke still bought the Australian product based on his basic needs (a V8) not gizmos, untill the W427 that is in Euro territory...

You are the only one that brought up a getz, miss comprehending the whole point (like a Getz is the epitome of equipment level), drawing ridiculous assumptions and ridiculing those who fail to side with your miss judged opinions.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
5 users like this post:
Old 14-12-2013, 10:30 AM   #351
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I do notice that the media is in a frothing frenzy saying "Holden is closing!!!!!!!!".
It's not. As with Ford, Ford is not "closing", they're just stopping building one unpopular model that people aren't buying in numbers that make it economic to continue with.
There will still be dealerships, there will still be servicing and parts and a wide range of cars for sale with the Holden badge on it. As with Ford, after a certain date you just won't see a "Falcon" or "Commodore" nameplate sitting on the car yard forecourt.

And you can't avoid the fact these guys have very generous exit packages, a staggering four years notice, and surely will get a sympathetic government at the time to give them handouts and support that other workers simply don't get.
If I was them I'd start looking around for other options with the abundant time they have to plan for the future. I'm sure many of us here have been forced to make equally huge family decisions in a period of weeks, not years, when a job has finished or we have been given notice.
5 users like this post:
Old 14-12-2013, 10:55 AM   #352
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Good points 2011G6E.
I don't remember the same levels of fuss when Ford announced it was closing.
Then again, they only took half the subsidy of Holden over the same amount of time and (1.1 billion over 12 years to Holdens 2.2 billion over 12 years), then again, bashing Ford became a national sport as many deluded members of this forum have done repeatedly.

Could it be that the debate has become so politically motivated and the cheer-squad of the media are making more of a fuss to protect their AMWU mates and the "solidarity brother" mantra? Short-willy should know better than to politicise this immediate and tragic loss of jobs......... in four years time.

Maybe I'm cynical but when there's imposts on costs of production of over 100 million per year (carbon tax) for Holden, then the sitting government tries to repeal it and then those most vocal saying "We have to do something" block the repeal in the senate - then that makes them political hypocrites. This has more to do with their politician-incubator mates in the unions who they've acquiesced to repeatedly over the last 6 years. Now the free handouts have come to an end they're all crying foul.
Ford, Holden and Toyota are gone. They've ALL said it's too expensive to make cars here and they've all echoed the same reasons. Deal with it. Meanwhile, the future of the AMWU is in doubt:

Quote: