Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 18-08-2005, 03:47 PM   #361
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin
Hmm Factory released dedicated LPG XR8 making similar/same power (with correct tuning)- I'd buy that.
LPG is for barbeques....!! :

Old 18-08-2005, 03:50 PM   #362
HSE2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bathurst77
There wsa a thread on here while back people saying their fuel economy.

MOST I6 cars were about 10-12 litres 100Km.. MOST V8s were 16-18 overall.
Sounds good doesn't it. But is useless. Unless age, type, tyre pressure climate, maintenance are all taken into account that by itself doesn't mean anything. If you had a lot of people in QLD participating it is likely they were using Aircon more then Southern states. Is everyone having the same split of highway and city driving? There are many factors. In most cases V8 owners will drive them accordingly and not drive for economy. If one has a 6 it’s probably for the reverse reason. What people claim as economy is not indicative of what the engine is capable of doing.

I have come from owning sixes and V8s and I can tell you there isn’t much in it.
BREAKING NEWS: The Pity Train has just derailed at the intersection of "Suck It Up & Move On" after it crashed into "We All Have Problems" before coming to a complete stop at "Get the Hell Over It." Reporting LIVE from Quitchur Bitchin'
HSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2005, 04:00 PM   #363
Citric GT
Its yellow, NOT green!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSE2
I have come from owning sixes and V8s and I can tell you there isn’t much in it.
Me too. You're right. I've owned a BA XR6 a BA XR6T ute and an EL XR8 and all of them were within 1L/100KM of each other.

I'll soon have an XR6T 6 speed and I'm not expecting much difference there either.
Old 18-08-2005, 04:01 PM   #364
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
LPG is for barbeques....!! :
mmm bbq's.... :
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2005, 04:07 PM   #365
HSE2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citric XR6
Me too. You're right. I've owned a BA XR6 a BA XR6T ute and an EL XR8 and all of them were within 1L/100KM of each other.

I'll soon have an XR6T 6 speed and I'm not expecting much difference there either.
I agree with you. The point we seem to have stumbled on here that is taking this off topic is about fuel getting expensive and that Ford are correct in acting as they "look" to have done. I don’t agree with that sentiment and that is based on personal experience not just with Ford but with other V8 companies as well. The key is if the car has to be driven in the same manner in order to make a comparison.

There is a very good point regarding fuel consumption that people have missed and it should be on Fords to do list. It would certainly cut the cost of V8 ownership but people seem to have missed it.
BREAKING NEWS: The Pity Train has just derailed at the intersection of "Suck It Up & Move On" after it crashed into "We All Have Problems" before coming to a complete stop at "Get the Hell Over It." Reporting LIVE from Quitchur Bitchin'
Old 18-08-2005, 04:54 PM   #366
Axle-F
AU - YEA YOU!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSE2
I thought I read that Ford did develop the 5.4 3 valve? Did it not increase 10kws and 30 nm? Please correct me if I am wrong
Sh1t. yea forgot about that lol

Then again i was just thinking about XRs when talking about fords development approach.

but still would be interested to compare xr6t with xr8 insurance costs...i really wouldnt know either way
Old 18-08-2005, 04:59 PM   #367
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axle-F
but still would be interested to compare xr6t with xr8 insurance costs...i really wouldnt know either way
go do an online quote at www.nrma.com.au

i predict there will be bugger all difference,
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2005, 07:17 PM   #368
Axle-F
AU - YEA YOU!

Estimated insurance for a $40,000 car with a 35 y.o driver:

XR6T - Annual Amount $1,266.98, Basic Excess: $500
XR8 - Annual Amount $1,592.63 , Basic Excess: $500

Thats over $300 more a year on just insurance to own an XR8. I'd say that tips the higher ongoing costs firmly towards the V8. But you already knew that :the_finge
Old 18-08-2005, 07:32 PM   #369
mrngo
ED Fairmont

Wonder if there is going to be a facelift? Maybe its just going to be mechanical
*Pacemaker Extractors*
*2.5" High Flow Cat*
*2.5" Straight through to the Tip*
mrngo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2005, 07:41 PM   #370
Paxton
Cobblers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrngo
Wonder if there is going to be a facelift? Maybe its just going to be mechanical

Read the thread in WHOLE. We have seen pictures of the BF Falcon, and there is some FaceLifting Involved.

-Andrew
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2005, 09:20 PM   #371
Falchoon

Pete/Ian, you are right about the XR8 and V8 FPV vehicles being constantly behind in power and performance when compared to similar model Commodores but remember when the Typhoon was released with it's 550Nm (most of any Aussie production motor including V8s) Ford/FPV received a caning by all the do-gooders like Harold Scruby and friends for it being a lethal weapon.

Don't worry about little things like the Commodores are faster and more powerful...the media seems quite biased towards Holden at times but to save deviating further off-topic we will save that discussion for another thread.

There was even talk of another 1972 GTHO Phase IV banning happening again.

I'm sure Ford are still licking their wounds over this one and would avoid at all costs repeating history again.

Ford have stated for a long time that their vehicles are about the whole driving package, not just raw power or speed.
Falchoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2005, 09:49 PM   #372
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

A little bit of quick analysis from the old Drag Racing Analyser produces some interesting numbers.

For control purposes the first table is based on the current BA FPV GT-p auto - the figures produced are almost exactly what I ran at heathcote last weekend so they can be considered accurate for both ET and MPH.

The next table uses the same base specs with the 6 speed auto and the (potential) 2.73 rear axle.

The final table uses all the same data but changes the rear axle ratio to 3.46

I've made no allowance for weight reduction or the improved efficiency of the new transmission nor any allowance for the availability of torque converter lock up on all gears.

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2005, 12:50 AM   #373
JPFS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks for those numbers.

I've got now doubt that they will be a fair bit quicker, i've driven the new XR6T and XR8 with the new auto, it is such a good box. Not only will the cars gain from the better box, they will gain from new calibrations, and i've even heard that there are suspension changes, not just spring rate and shocks, but new materials, so i would think that we may even weigh in slightly lighter.

I believe there is still a significant amount of detail yet to be revealed.
JPFS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2005, 12:53 AM   #374
EFFalcon
Last warning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donut King
pity about the diff ratios with the 6 speed auto...
Barra 190 – Falcon: 2.73
Barra 230: 2.53
Barra 245T / Boss 260: 2.73
Barra 190 – Territory: 3.46
so get a BA I diff put into ur BF ;)
BA diffs will be cheap!
wala, killer gearing
DAILY - BA Fairlane Ghia, Boss 260 Turbo
OFFROADER - Ford Explorer
EFFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2005, 01:12 AM   #375
Lawsy

The ZF apparently has 2 1st gear ratios, and we got the shorter one. 4.17 or something? The other is what, 3.9x?

That longer ratio, coupled with a 3.46 diff gear, would make the BF an absolute weapon of mass distruction.... To bad it now can't happen because of Fords inability to negotiate for the better gear...

In any case, the 6 speed with any diff gear higher than 2.72 is going to kick ****....
Source the 2.87 (i think) center out of the Jag diff (if its a similar diff) and you'll be laughing all the way down the quarter mile...
I can't wait to upgrade our Ghia now....
Lawsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2005, 10:08 AM   #376
RED_EL_XR8
Banned

Thanks for the tables Russ, point five on a baseline isn't an improvement to be sneezed at. Plus some weight reduction etc...
RED_EL_XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2005, 10:14 AM   #377
Psycho Chicken
Banned

I'd have a stab and say those gear ratios are to do with emission laws. XD was the same, better economy than the smaller engined, lighter Commodore, all in the gear ratios.
Psycho Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2005, 10:21 AM   #378
prdreilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perana XR8
Low 1st would make up for the tall diff ratio though...
BA XR
Overall Gearing (XR8 Autos)
1st
BAII 8.63:1
BF 11.38:1

2nd
BAII 5:1
BF 6.38:1

3rd
BAII 3.45:1
BF 4.14:1

4th
BAII 2.35:1
BF 3:11:1

5th BF 2.38:1
6th BF 1.88:1
Don't know how hard it is to come up with these figures, but would it be possible to calculate and compare BF auto to MkII 6speed manual ratios, along with final drive to arrive at "overall gearing" figures?
prdreilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2005, 01:07 PM   #379
RATT

Another interesting point regarding the 3 valve V8:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford

Unique Ute application

Reddington explained two versions of the 3-valve V8 would be offered with the BF Falcon programme, with unique versions for sedan and ute.

“The torque output resultant from the upgrades to the Barra 230 demand the use of a high-torque transmission.

“As a result, sedan buyers opting for the Barra 230 will have their engine matched to the ZF six-speed automatic transmission.

“We conducted a lot of research with our commercial buyers, for whom price sensitivity is a key factor.

“Those customers overwhelmingly reinforced the fact the power and torque of the Barra 220 teamed to the updated four-speed automatic transmission was more than adequate.

“As a result, XL, XLS and RTV ute customers opting for a V8 will have a version of the engine with power and torque remaining at an extremely healthy 220 kW and 470 Nm.

“Ute customers wanting a more performance oriented vehicle have the option of the XR range, with the XR8 and Turbo versions offering the ZF six-speed automatic or Tremec T56 six-speed manual transmission.”
Old 19-08-2005, 01:10 PM   #380
RATT

BF Futura
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bf futura.jpg (29.1 KB, 120 views)
Old 19-08-2005, 03:43 PM   #381
macca_779
Turbine Power

I'm really surprised guys there is more information on streetcommodores fourm about the BF than here whats going on is no one interested
macca_779 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2005, 03:47 PM   #382
HSE2

We are punishing Ford for not upgrading the XR8 engine- what’s it look like?

Kidding -we are all very excited on the inside
Old 19-08-2005, 03:50 PM   #383
Donut King
Officially Unemployed!

the info on stcomms was actually copied and pasted from the same place the info here was copied from, so if there is more there than there is here, I would be very surprised... Just that we merged 2 threads together here, so the information is a bit mor split up throughout the thread...

Donut King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2005, 04:19 PM   #384
matto76

just wondering does anyone know what the price increase is going to be on the new xr range
Old 19-08-2005, 04:24 PM   #385
RATT

Far from knowing that. But you can safely assume it will increase.
Old 19-08-2005, 06:40 PM   #386
UNR8D
FORMER T3 OWNER

http://www.drive.com.au/editorial/ar...vf=2&bg=1&pp=0

182 to 190!!! WAHOOO

and the 6 speed should be good!

Drive.com give a good report

you can sleep in your car, but you cant drift your house...
UNR8D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2005, 06:44 PM   #387
RED_EL_XR8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by matto76
just wondering does anyone know what the price increase is going to be on the new xr range
There was an upgrade price mentioned in one of the articles of around $1800.00, I'm guessing at this for a very rough bench mark probably more more like $2500.00 starting for the bigger V8's. But that is purely a guess.

Re-reading that price quoted is for the 6-speed over the 4-speed. my bad.
I think Ford will be trying very hard to keep the increases reasonable.
RED_EL_XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2005, 09:01 PM   #388
BA-Fan
Formerly SM0KED

Guys if that was the BF XR8? then what is this?
I think that what we have seen is actually the BA Mk III!

Jeremy.
BA-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2005, 09:05 PM   #389
BA-Fan
Formerly SM0KED

Looks like they have gone for new headlights this time around along with GT style stripes on the XR8.

BF XR8 Photo
BA-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2005, 09:06 PM   #390
XplosiveR6
Viper FG XR6 Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SM0KED
Guys if that was the BF XR8? then what is this?
[/IMG]http://www.brockcommodores.com/Other%20Stuff/bfxr8-202.jpg[IMG]

I think that what we have seen is actually the BA Mk III!

Jeremy.
lol, one of your photochops?
XplosiveR6 is offline   Reply With Quote