Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 21-06-2012, 11:39 PM   #481
Xauterus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Toyota 86 price $29,990!

Like cheap Altezza lights? Do you mean like the Toyota Altezza?
Old 22-06-2012, 08:38 AM   #482
Poetic Justice
NOT A TOYOTA :/

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstg8a
while i like the sound of the 86, i do think some are perhaps over stating how good this thing will be.
much like the original, it will require time and money to be spent on it to be the mad drifter. what it does have, is the base dna to make it a worthy drifter/track car/ weekend toy

some i think have let themselves get a bit caught up in the hype.
How does how you've described it not make it good?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Monty
Ummm, ones a rear wheel drive built SPECIFICALLY for being balanced, and to teach the dynamics of drifting, the other is a front wheel drive hatchback.
Seriously, those not understanding what this car is about, PLEASE GO AND WATCH INITIAL D. Once you learn about Tak, the Fujiwara Tofu shop, and the Takahashi brothers, come back and discuss why this car is such a good idea.

I'm not sure that many buyers of these things, based on the people my staff and I have sold these cars to, would have the absolute drifting and modifications in mind. And then you can compare these vehicles quite easily with things like the Polo GTi for the afforementioned criteria.
Old 22-06-2012, 08:49 AM   #483
Polyal
The 'Stihl' Man
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by The G6ET Spot
Saw one of these on the road today and they do look good.

The only thing that I could pick on was the hideous tail lights, they look like cheap **** Altezza lights.

Other than that a very nice looking car.
Ill agree with that..same goes for ALL Mazdas...the light style is pox.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 22-06-2012, 08:52 AM   #484
Poetic Justice

Did you know the exhaust pipe diameter is 86mm? ;)
Old 22-06-2012, 09:18 AM   #485
Nic85
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCUD
Did you know the exhaust pipe diameter is 86mm? ;)
On what? The 86? That's 3.4 inches. Wtf would it want an exhaust that big for on a NA 2L? Even highly modified Evo's only need a 3 inch exhaust and they're a turbo 2L. You sure 86mm is right?
Old 22-06-2012, 09:36 AM   #486
_Ben
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nic85
On what? The 86? That's 3.4 inches. Wtf would it want an exhaust that big for on a NA 2L? Even highly modified Evo's only need a 3 inch exhaust and they're a turbo 2L. You sure 86mm is right?
He means tip, I think.
Old 22-06-2012, 09:46 AM   #487
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xauterus
Like cheap Altezza lights? Do you mean like the Toyota Altezza?
Altezza's were a cheaper version of a Lexus LS200 IMO a good looking car tail lights included.
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Old 22-06-2012, 10:02 AM   #488
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotAU
Why cant we see through the smog? Its a corolla sportivo in a fancy dress. 200nm of torque wont make for much of a drive. 147kw power? Didnt the vt commodore get 147kw.

Sure it looks pretty but surely noone is fooled.

Buy a falcon fg xt with a set of rims and it would bolt away from it from a set of lights.200kw and 391nm.
NFI, would you seriously prefer to be driving a taxi?
Old 22-06-2012, 10:17 AM   #489
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
The car this one was supposed to be a tribute off was a Corolla, the AE86.
They only got the Corolla badge in Australia I believe, plus a 1500cc carb engine.
Elsewhere the AE86 was a Levin or a Trueno (pop up lights) sporting the legendary 4AGE engine
kind of like comparing an XT to a GT Falcon
Old 22-06-2012, 10:47 AM   #490
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevsta007
They only got the Corolla badge in Australia I believe, plus a 1500cc carb engine.
Elsewhere the AE86 was a Levin or a Trueno (pop up lights) sporting the legendary 4AGE engine
kind of like comparing an XT to a GT Falcon
Correct...everywhere else they were a Sprinter, with Levin and Trueno levels of spec. Here they were sold as a "Corolla Sprinter", instead of just plain Sprinter. Most of them sold here also had the 4A-CE engine, a carbed or EFI DOHC engine with one cam drive wheel for the timing belt, and the second cam driven off a gear on the driven cam. Great engine...just not a great as the 4AGE...
I missed out on a Levin back before I bought my Celica four years ago...factory air con, had a few kilometers on it, but the 4ACE engine was still sweet, five speed manual, faded red, great interior. Guy wanted $3000 for it. I rang, but he said it sold probably five minutes after the ad posted on Carsales.com and his phone had been ringing off the hook ever since...

A young guy at one of the mines out here has an import, a proper Sprinter Trueno, in the Panda paint job (white with black trim), the same as the one in the Initial D manga and TV show (and live-action movie, if you can find it!). His has the 4AGE and pop up lights. I think he paid $11,000 for it, which I thought was a pretty good deal. All it needs is a Fujiwara Tofu sticker along the drivers door and he'll be set...
Old 22-06-2012, 01:19 PM   #491
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hul......DotAU
Why cant we see through the smog? Its a corolla sportivo in a fancy dress. 200nm of torque wont make for much of a drive. 147kw power? Didnt the vt commodore get 147kw.

Buy a falcon fg xt with a set of rims and it would bolt away from it from a set of lights.200kw and 391nm.
Well I have just taken one for a reasonable test drive and it will eat anything with an FPV or Falcon badge for breakfast around corners.

Straight line is reasonable but really only shows its style at 80-110++ due to aero which would make it not suitable for show pony bogans who just want to pose outside maccas from the lights in a 60km/h zone.

Turning circle is brilliant and brakes are not bad although I drove the bottom of the range "GT" with the 16" rims and small brakes. It also comes with a full size spare tyre not a space saver or can of goo.

Visibility is actually better than my FG and the interior is bland but functional. The GTS has a much more luxurious interior and better brakes etc.

As far as sportyness I heard a story that one was recently driven at a bit over 200km/h on a private road in another country nowhere near the "Popular Peoples Democratic Republic of Speed-Cameralia " and it felt surefooted and reassuring.

It is a genuine sports coupe and I hope it sells so well that Ford take notice and bring in Mustang or develop their own "RWD Focus ST".
Old 22-06-2012, 01:31 PM   #492
dimka100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Well I have just taken one for a reasonable test drive and it will eat anything with an FPV or Falcon badge for breakfast around corners.
So will any sporty japanese grey import from the 90s, but so what? The Falcon was never a benchmark of handling by any stretch of imagination ...

I just don't see the point in this car ... if you want silly rear wheel drive fun then get yourself a second hand 200sx or a GTS-T, both will destroy this car in any sporty situation (handling, braking, acceleration, top speed, circuit ... )

Actually coming to think of it any sporty Nissan was and still is a much better sporting proposition
Old 22-06-2012, 01:37 PM   #493
stevanford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotAU

Cars aren't all about straight line. ;)
Old 22-06-2012, 01:39 PM   #494
stevanford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimka100
So will any sporty japanese grey import from the 90s, but so what? The Falcon was never a benchmark of handling by any stretch of imagination ...

I just don't see the point in this car ... if you want silly rear wheel drive fun then get yourself a second hand 200sx or a GTS-T, both will destroy this car in any sporty situation (handling, braking, acceleration, top speed, circuit ... )

Actually coming to think of it any sporty Nissan was and still is a much better sporting proposition
The last of the 200sx and GTST skylines are about 10 years old now. There are lots of people who would want something newer.
Old 22-06-2012, 01:57 PM   #495
Poetic Justice

And why would a 200sx or GTS-T automatically out handle it?

Good observations flappist. And believe me when I say they will sell a lot. A real lot. We're only a smallish dealer in the scheme of things and we are up to around 12 orders for the week.
Old 22-06-2012, 02:00 PM   #496
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Really?

Hmm, now if only we could find a AFF member who has recently driven 90,000km in a Nissan 350Z Track Coupe and may be able to actually compare the cars rather than going on hearsay from maccas car park......
Old 22-06-2012, 02:06 PM   #497
dimka100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Really?

Hmm, now if only we could find a AFF member who has recently driven 90,000km in a Nissan 350Z Track Coupe and may be able to actually compare the cars rather than going on hearsay from maccas car park......
So you think that everyone who drives an old grey import Nissan must be hanging out at maccas??? wake up man

And as for the 350z, if you really feel that your car is slower then the 86 in every way then i'm sure that you could easily sell yours and buy yourself a brand new 86, you will probably even have some money left in the exchange Just don't complain when some maccas dude drives by next time ...
Old 22-06-2012, 02:08 PM   #498
EFFalcon
Last warning

Quote:

These cars were available new at some stage too.... were you then telling people to buy older second hand versions of said cars because they can do the same thing for cheaper?
DAILY - BA Fairlane Ghia, Boss 260 Turbo
OFFROADER - Ford Explorer
Old 22-06-2012, 02:31 PM   #499
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
So you think that everyone who drives an old grey import Nissan must be hanging out at maccas??? wake up man

And as for the 350z, if you really feel that your car is slower then the 86 in every way then i'm sure that you could easily sell yours and buy yourself a brand new 86, you will probably even have some money left in the exchange Just don't complain when some maccas dude drives by next time ...
You really are rather bitter and twisted about this car.

You do know you can show Toyota just how wrong they are by exercising your obviously superior motoring acumen and just not buying one. I am sure they will be devistated......
Old 22-06-2012, 02:48 PM   #500
dimka100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
You really are rather bitter and twisted about this car.
Nah I'm not ... it's just that I don't like when companies over hype their products so so much with absolutely nothing to substantiate their claims ... reminds me of Apple ... btw in the EVO test this car lapped a whole 5 seconds slower than the 265 CUP, and its real funny how Toyota has never actually compared the car on the track with any other manufacturer/model ... I guess they kinda know what to expect
Old 22-06-2012, 02:56 PM   #501
FRD888XR8

Mate is looking at one, 33k drive away manual !

want to trade his Kluger for it !

yes, he is a big tall bloke ... can wait to see him getting in and out of the car .....awesome !
Old 22-06-2012, 03:03 PM   #502
stevanford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Nah I'm not ... it's just that I don't like when companies over hype their products so so much with absolutely nothing to substantiate their claims ... reminds me of Apple ... btw in the EVO test this car lapped a whole 5 seconds slower than the 265 CUP, and its real funny how Toyota has never actually compared the car on the track with any other manufacturer/model ... I guess they kinda know what to expect
Don't forget that the Renault Megane sport is about $45,000 brand new.
Old 22-06-2012, 05:06 PM   #503
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:

Are they new cars...?

No.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Old 22-06-2012, 05:15 PM   #504
nstg8a

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCUD
How does how you've described it not make it good?

dont get me wrong, i love the very idea of them, and if i was in the market for something like this i would definitly be taking one for a test drive, i just think 'some' have just been sucked intot he hype a little bit.

im not saying the car is a lemon or anything like that.
Old 22-06-2012, 06:18 PM   #505
BadMax
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This thread displays just how shallow the gene pool can be...
Those who want to draw comparison to a family saloon should be slapped in the back of the head...real hard.

Now if Fraud built the same thing and sold it to us for 29K, you'd all be justifying it's existance!
Single hump hard lid.
XR8 Bonnet
Colour coded mirrors.
Tint.
Reverse camera.
K&N.
More down the track...
Old 22-06-2012, 06:28 PM   #506
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Straight line is reasonable but really only shows its style at 80-110++ due to aero which would make it not suitable for show pony bogans who just want to pose outside maccas from the lights in a 60km/h zone.

Turning circle is brilliant and brakes are not bad although I drove the bottom of the range "GT" with the 16" rims and small brakes. It also comes with a full size spare tyre not a space saver or can of goo.

Visibility is actually better than my FG and the interior is bland but functional. The GTS has a much more luxurious interior and better brakes etc.

As far as sportyness I heard a story that one was recently driven at a bit over 200km/h on a private road in another country nowhere near the "Popular Peoples Democratic Republic of Speed-Cameralia " and it felt surefooted and reassuring.

It is a genuine sports coupe and I hope it sells so well that Ford take notice and bring in Mustang or develop their own "RWD Focus ST".
How did it feel stop and start sort of driving? Is the torque offset by the weight?

Anyways lol 200SX and GTST. I'm sure they would win straight line and perhaps overall but the 86 would carve both of them up in the twisties no problem, is new and has plenty of potential.

They are both good cars now and many years ago but the 86 has hit the mark by all reports.

It has never promised outright speed and it does not deliver that.

It's easier to add power later on but Toyota have provided the base with chassis to begin with which is much more harder and costly to improve later on. That is the point.

You can over hype any car you want but people won't buy it if it doesn't meet up to that hype or expectations.
Old 22-06-2012, 06:40 PM   #507
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As soon as I can convince the missus that we should unload the G6E this year while it still doesn't have too many kilometers on it, we'll buy one...

With speed cameras, point to point cameras, and other stricter and stricter enforcement, the fun is in the twisties in something that's enjoyable (a sense of "fun" in the words of the Toyota head honcho), not straight line 0-100 and quarter mile times...

The point about having the chassis (the expensive bit) and cheaply adding power later is a good one. Suzuki has done it with the excellent AWD Kysashi Sport...that thing handles like it's on rails, and is a great drive, but it could use a bit more power. A turbo version is coming out apparently.
The original AE86 had a normal carbed 1.6 in it, hardly a fireball, but for a few bucks more you could spec it up with the storming 4AGE.
My '82 Celica, the last of the rear-drivers, in Australia only had the woeful 20RC 2 liter "California Spec" engine putting out 80hp, but you could up spec it with the much better 2.4 liter EFI engine. The chassis is the same though...amazing handling, and you forget about the lack of power.
Old 22-06-2012, 07:45 PM   #508
sneaky
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Well I have just taken one for a reasonable test drive .....
did you drive an auto or manual?

found out the other day my MIL is getting an auto.. was hoping she would get a manual and i could take it off her hands in a few years time
Old 22-06-2012, 08:53 PM   #509
calais
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I was able to spend quite a bit of time with one of these today at my local dealer. Even though it was pre-sold the dealer principal didn't mind me going over the car before the pre-delivery had been completed.

It was a white GTS manual and my lord it is an attractive bit of kit. It is definately built to its price point without feeling stingy. It is a very well proportioned car as far as I am concerned, it if definately gave me a cosy feeling with the dark rooflining and snug seats.

I am booked in for a test drive of their demo manual GT on monday, and to be honest if the driving experience shapes up, I will be buying one, maybe not straight away..... But definately in the next 12 to 18 months.
Old 22-06-2012, 10:18 PM   #510
duaned
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevanford
Cars aren't all about straight line. ;)
The boys on boost would dis-agree with that!
Closed Thread