Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 23-08-2015, 09:23 AM   #31
HULK_I6T
Banned

Angry Re: Toyota has revealed a new-look LandCruiser ahead of its local debut in October.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6 Martin View Post
Toyota only have the aura of reliability on their side.
Their drivetrain technology is atleast a decade behind on most of their cars.
In terms of handling and ride their cars are sub par too.
For example the new Kluger still doesnt drive as nice as the 12yo Territory.
Cool story bro. The lotus evora uses the same 3.5 litre v6 found in toyota aurion, klugar and most of the lexus range. (Is350, rx350, es350 etc etc). Lotus also uses a toyota gearbox.

Have you driven a new toyota kluger? I also didnt know they made territorys 12 years ago in 2003.

Last edited by HULK_I6T; 23-08-2015 at 09:49 AM.
HULK_I6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2015, 10:31 AM   #32
irish2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Toyota has revealed a new-look LandCruiser ahead of its local debut in October.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HULK_I6T View Post
Cool story bro. The lotus evora uses the same 3.5 litre v6 found in toyota aurion, klugar and most of the lexus range. (Is350, rx350, es350 etc etc). Lotus also uses a toyota gearbox.

Have you driven a new toyota kluger? I also didnt know they made territorys 12 years ago in 2003.
Lotus is also now owned by proton, and have been slammed by most motoring editors world wide for their constant weight gain.
irish2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 23-08-2015, 10:35 AM   #33
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Toyota has revealed a new-look LandCruiser ahead of its local debut in October.

Quote:

Ive got Klugers at work, along with every other Toyota.
Klugers are comfortable sure, but just dont try and take a corner like you would in a Terry.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2015, 10:58 AM   #34
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Toyota only have the aura of reliability on their side.
Their drivetrain technology is atleast a decade behind on most of their cars.
In terms of handling and ride their cars are sub par too.
For example the new Kluger still doesnt drive as nice as the 12yo Territory.
Yeah but by same token , being older tech doesn't mean bad, in fact I would buy some older tech any day of the week over a lot of the hi tech stuff on the market today.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2015, 11:02 AM   #35
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

Handling and drivetrain, Toyota are a generation behind?

Here I was thinking 200 Series Cruisers were they way they are because they can do this in comfort and safety. People don't know how much punishment a vehicle takes while they sit in comfort.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTE4On69kXQ

Would be interesting to see how other "superior" 4x4's handle a typical outback road.
cheap is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2015, 11:02 AM   #36
HULK_I6T
Banned

Quote:
Ive got Klugers at work, along with every other Toyota.
Klugers are comfortable sure, but just dont try and take a corner like you would in a Terry.
Im not sure a kluger or territory were ever intended to rush through corners. Judge them on what they were intended to do.
HULK_I6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2015, 11:13 AM   #37
DK30RB

Having owned 22 cars I would have to say that my 200 series is the best car I have ever owned. It's my third cruiser. Had a 6 cylinder petrol 100, a v8 petrol 100, and the 200 is a diesel. Nothing else comes close in terms of comfort, towing and off road ability. In 70,000km it's only needed regular servicing. Not a single warranty issue.

If you want a high performance vehicle then don't buy any 4wd. All those that talk about how slow it is etc are fools. If you want something fast get and xr8 or something similar as I have done.

Just don't expect the ford to last as long as the cruiser or be anywhere near as reliable. I have seen that first hand.

If tomorrow I had to choose only 1 of my cars to keep it would be bye bye xr8. Wouldn't even think about the decision for a second.
DK30RB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 23-08-2015, 11:15 AM   #38
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I've got a few customers with 200 series Land Cruisers, the top spec variants are circa $120K, better off with a new F series IMO.

Only one of my customers used to use his offroad, was his daily and he used to race it, until he sunk it into a dam.

They're not that nice to drive.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2015, 11:21 AM   #39
duaned
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Another updated Toorak tractor to hit the streets! I just don't see the benefits of these when people only buy them for normal road use.
duaned is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 23-08-2015, 11:40 AM   #40
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheap View Post

Would be interesting to see how other "superior" 4x4's handle a typical outback road.
Well Land Rover's products do this in addition to being excellent on-road vehicles. The latter is something Toyota (or Nissan) hasn't managed to achieve - and Land Rover on the other hand hasn't achieved their reliability!

But as they're off-roaders, they shouldn't really be judged by that shortcoming, except to the extent that they spend a lot of time on-road and in the cities where they're a danger to their occupants and everyone else. If they stayed in the outback they'd be fine. Horses for courses.

That interior of the cruiser looks a bit girlie. As my uncle who owned a sheep station used to say, you couldn't throw a dead sheep in there could you?!
Old 23-08-2015, 11:46 AM   #41
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Im not sure a kluger or territory were ever intended to rush through corners. Judge them on what they were intended to do.

FFS, not another person who doesn't understand the crossover! They're high step-in cars, not off-roaders. They're meant to be driven like cars, just that few manufacturers succeed in designing them to do that. BMW succeeded with the Xs. Ford succeeded with the Territory. Toyota failed with the Kluger. Most other manufacturers produce meh or downright bad results, although Hyundai/Kia are edging forward a bit. Front wheel drive puts a limit on them.

Last edited by new2ford; 23-08-2015 at 11:55 AM.
new2ford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 23-08-2015, 01:30 PM   #42
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2ford View Post

FFS, not another person who doesn't understand the crossover! They're high step-in cars, not off-roaders. They're meant to be driven like cars, just that few manufacturers succeed in designing them to do that. BMW succeeded with the Xs. Ford succeeded with the Territory. Toyota failed with the Kluger. Most other manufacturers produce meh or downright bad results, although Hyundai/Kia are edging forward a bit. Front wheel drive puts a limit on them.
You call it a crossover so I went to BMW.com.au to see what they say about their X5 and X6 .
"The BMW X5 unites worlds that normally appear contradictory. An off-road vehicle that also shines when it’s back on the road. An SUV with powerful petrol and diesel engines and low fuel consumption. In addition, the intelligent BMW xDrive four-wheel drive system provides perfect traction on every road, around any bend and in every driving situation.
The BMW X6. Outstanding in performance, impressive in appearance. Powerful engines equip it with the dynamics of a sports car, while the chassis combines the athletic contours of a coupé with the thirst for adventure of an off-road vehicle. Get miles away from it all in a vehicle that’s miles away from average.
Whether you’re looking for a new or used BMW X model, find all the information here. You can also find a BMW Dealer for that all-important test drive.
If you love the power and innovation of BMW vehicles, spread the word and show your support for the BMW X Range #bmwXRange (#bmwX1, #bmwX3, #bmwX4, #bmwX5 and #bmwX6) "

They call it an off-road vehicle which presumably means it can go off road? Off road being defined as grass area in front of the owners house ( definition of off-road maybe somewhere in small print ).
SumoDog68 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2015, 02:16 PM   #43
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumoDog68 View Post
You call it a crossover so I went to BMW.com.au to see what they say about their X5 and X6 .
You should know better than to quote manufacturer spin!

The X5/X6 - wouldn't go too far off the beaten track at all, you wouldn't buy them for that.
X1/X3 - not at all.

What I think they mean is that they're good in the snow (being from Bavaria and all)!
Old 23-08-2015, 02:40 PM   #44
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by duaned View Post
Another updated Toorak tractor to hit the streets! I just don't see the benefits of these when people only buy them for normal road use.
fair comment, but these days there are a lot of toorak tractors ? for general use around the burbs does anyone really need an AWD SUV ? the same could be said for all the dual cabs getting around .
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2015, 02:56 PM   #45
DK30RB

Quote:
Originally Posted by duaned View Post
We'll. .I would bet a lot of the to toorak tractors may not go off road, but how many are used for towing.

I don't bush bash in mine, but i do use it to tow a 3200kg 24 foot caravan.

Nothing comes close to the landcruiser's towing ability in the price bracket. Consider 3500kg with 350 tow ball weight and 650nm of torque.
2 users like this post:
Old 23-08-2015, 04:58 PM   #46
Matty4
Banana

Quote:
Originally Posted by DK30RB View Post
We'll. .I would bet a lot of the to toorak tractors may not go off road, but how many are used for towing.

Nothing comes close to the landcruiser's towing ability in the price bracket. Consider 3500kg with 350 tow ball weight and 650nm of torque.
I do like the 200's but they are well overpriced.
My top spec Jeep has 3500kg and 350kg on the ball. It also has a diesel chip giving 215kw and 670nm of torque, and cost $50K less than a top spec LC200.
It too has been flawless in the 3 years I've had it.
Old 23-08-2015, 05:36 PM   #47
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8 View Post
Diesel is $3k extra
I was looking at second hand ones. A lot more than 3k difference in the used market. Usually about 10k difference.

Quote:

If you want a high performance vehicle then don't buy any 4wd. All those that talk about how slow it is etc are fools. If you want something fast get and xr8 or something similar as I have done.
They are not performance vehicles, but when you have a V8 under your foot you sort of want reasonable acceleration when you do plant it. The original petrol 200's only have just over 200kws and 400 odd NM. That's not much for something the size of a LC.
Im sure the diesels go a bit better with just under 200kw and 650nm.

Last edited by Ben73; 23-08-2015 at 05:49 PM.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2015, 05:42 PM   #48
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty4 View Post
My top spec Jeep has 3500kg and 350kg on the ball. It also has a diesel chip giving 215kw and 670nm of torque, and cost $50K less than a top spec LC200.
Tow something reasonable, +2500kg for +10,000 km's offroad in the Jeep and then come back and tell us how it went. Hint, make sure your Jeep is covered under warranty when you do so.

You will find that the Jeep's butter soft wheel bearings, bushes, drive shafts and differentials are very expensive to replace. Similar experiences await with the POS Land Rover.

Now you can continue to believe what you want, but there is a big difference quoting from a brochure V's what goes on in the real world.
cheap is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2015, 05:50 PM   #49
Matty4
Banana

I tow a 2.5T caravan with it without issue.
I know what it's capable of.
Old 23-08-2015, 05:58 PM   #50
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:

Whats the price of your variant new?
Old 23-08-2015, 07:43 PM   #51
DK30RB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo View Post
Whats the price of your variant new?
true story. Believe this or not

I purchased my black ttd gxl v8 new in Feb 2013. Delivered with 12km on the clock.

Got options added which included leather trim, 8inch sat nav, roof bars, tow kit, mats, weather shields, bonnet protector, factory driving lights etc

RRP on Toyotas website at the time was $99k plus my options. Everyone pays between 81 - 83k for a gxl on the Toyota forum.

I happened to be in the right place at the right time. Dealer had a dec 2011 build with march 2012 compliance in his showroom. Could not sell it after 11 months on the showroom floor.

After much haggling over 2 weeks. I signed at $60k in the dot.

It was raining when I did the deal. On pickup I noticed 3 minor blemishes in the paint... got another $3k off. Final price of $57k for a brand new ttdv8 cruiser.

It has been flawless.

I normally upgrade my cars every 2 years (I have 2 cars, so every year buy a new car - call me crazy....). I am looking at a new Sahara and the rrp is $126k. I am down to $105k and think there is more in the deal.

I have an offer on mine which is more than I paid for it.

Yes my deal is unique and exceptionally good. Yes its more expensive than a jeep But landcruiser resale is brilliant no matter what. Its brilliant for a reason.

Lets see what a three year old jeep is worth?

In addition I know 2 jeep owners that have been waiting over 12 weeks for critical components for their grand Cherokee.

Most people I have spoken to in caravan parks have said that they bought their jeep over the landcruiser because of the price. Not because of the jeeps reputation or ability.

I looked at trading the cruiser in on a jeep. The jeep dealer told me I was crazy and to keep the cruiser for towing. I drove the jeep, there is no chance I would have it over a landcruiser.
2 users like this post:
Old 23-08-2015, 07:48 PM   #52
DK30RB

Quote:
I tow a 2.5T caravan with it without issue.
I know what it's capable of.
Try a 3.2t van. It would be a very different story.
Old 23-08-2015, 07:50 PM   #53
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
true story. Believe this or not

I purchased my black ttd gxl v8 new in Feb 2013. Delivered with 12km on the clock.

Got options added which included leather trim, 8inch sat nav, roof bars, tow kit, mats, weather shields, bonnet protector, factory driving lights etc

RRP on Toyotas website at the time was $99k plus my options. Everyone pays between 81 - 83k for a gxl on the Toyota forum.

I happened to be in the right place at the right time. Dealer had a dec 2011 build with march 2012 compliance in his showroom. Could not sell it after 11 months on the showroom floor.

After much haggling over 2 weeks. I signed at $60k in the dot.

It was raining when I did the deal. On pickup I noticed 3 minor blemishes in the paint... got another $3k off. Final price of $57k for a brand new ttdv8 cruiser.

It has been flawless.

I normally upgrade my cars every 2 years (I have 2 cars, so every year buy a new car - call me crazy....). I am looking at a new Sahara and the rrp is $126k. I am down to $105k and think there is more in the deal.

I have an offer on mine which is more than I paid for it.

Yes my deal is unique and exceptionally good. Yes its more expensive than a jeep But landcruiser resale is brilliant no matter what. Its brilliant for a reason.

Lets see what a three year old jeep is worth?

In addition I know 2 jeep owners that have been waiting over 12 weeks for critical components for their grand Cherokee.

Most people I have spoken to in caravan parks have said that they bought their jeep over the landcruiser because of the price. Not because of the jeeps reputation or ability.

I looked at trading the cruiser in on a jeep. The jeep dealer told me I was crazy and to keep the cruiser for towing. I drove the jeep, there is no chance I would have it over a landcruiser.
at $60K, yeah it won't be beaten, but at $100K you're in RAM/Silverado and F series territory.

Customer of mine got a 2014 Dodge RAM to tow his 3500kg 5th wheeler van for around $110K I believe.
Old 23-08-2015, 07:57 PM   #54
DK30RB

Quote:
at $60K, yeah it won't be beaten, but at $100K you're in RAM/Silverado and F series territory.

Customer of mine got a 2014 Dodge RAM to tow his 3500kg 5th wheeler van for around $110K I believe.
A new gxl now is 79 - 80k since the new trade agreement came into effect.

Its still 30k cheaper than the ram.

Cruiser is probably more versatile than a ram or f series. I have young kids and their friends to drive around. 8 seats come in handy.

If you are retired and travel as a couple then I could see the advantage of the ram for towing.

At the end of the day I still need to park the cruiser at the shopping centre, or car park at the local sports ground.
Old 23-08-2015, 08:29 PM   #55
andrich
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In most cases Toyota trades on its name and perceived realiability and not much else. Bar the Landcruiser not many of their cars are anywhere near the top of their respective classes. This includes Yaris, Corolla, Rav4, Kluger, Camry to say the least.

The Landcruiser seems to be a good car still but for me its overpriced for the specification levels,particularly in the lower spec cars. (the new patrol is the same, hence Nissan chopped 30k of the RRP recently).

Both the Patrol, Landcruiser and LX570 are ugly in my eyes but the new Infiniti QX80 outclasses them all when it comes to being one of the ugliest cars on sale at the moment.

-Herrod airbox, Pacemaker 1 7/8inch headers + 100 cell cats and Xforce 2.5inch catback, SSL/SSSL with bilstein shocks and whiteline swaybars, 4 pot Brembo/Red BBR's, 18% Tint, Silver Simmons FR1's in 19x8.5 and 19x9.5 , XR50 tail lights, 4.1 diff gears
andrich is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2015, 08:42 PM   #56
DK30RB

Quote:
Add a chip to a landcruiser and you have 260kw and 795nm of torque.
Old 23-08-2015, 08:45 PM   #57
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Add a chip to a landcruiser and you have 260kw and 795nm of torque.
Buy a Dodge RAM and you've got 287kw/1220nm from the dealership floor

#oneupcompetition
2 users like this post:
Old 23-08-2015, 08:53 PM   #58
DK30RB

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrich View Post
In most cases Toyota trades on its name and perceived realiability and not much else. Bar the Landcruiser not many of their cars are anywhere near the top of their respective classes. This includes Yaris, Corolla, Rav4, Kluger, Camry to say the least.

The Landcruiser seems to be a good car still but for me its overpriced for the specification levels,particularly in the lower spec cars. (the new patrol is the same, hence Nissan chopped 30k of the RRP recently).

Both the Patrol, Landcruiser and LX570 are ugly in my eyes but the new Infiniti QX80 outclasses them all when it comes to being one of the ugliest cars on sale at the moment.
Perceived reliability???
My past and present cars
3 landcruisers - 1 minor trim warranty issue.
2 aurions - no warranty issues
2 Camry, 1 corolla - no warranty issues (wifes company cars)

Mum
1 Prado, Camry and yaris - 1 recall.

Neighbour
Camry, kluger - no issues

Yep Toyotas are perceived as reliable because they are reliable.

On the other hand at the opposite end of the scale
Volvo v60 Polestar. Grrrrrr
Numerous falcons
Nissan
Holden
All having nothing over Toyota reliability. And that's over the last 15 years including current models.

Yes there is a bad example in all brands but you are less likely to get a bad one from Toyota than you are from other brands. I speak from experience.
Old 23-08-2015, 08:54 PM   #59
DK30RB

Quote:
Buy a Dodge RAM and you've got 287kw/1220nm from the dealership floor

#oneupcompetition
Hehe. I'll give you that.
Old 23-08-2015, 09:58 PM   #60
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Rocky Caravan Show today Dodge Ram Laramie dual cab dual rear wheels 6.7 Cummings diesel $135 k on road. What a tank/truck !!!