Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 18-09-2013, 10:43 PM   #31
LTDmonger

Default Re: Ford targets premium market with Vignale flagship that could make it to Australia

That aint no flagship.
Fairlane
LTD
....RIP....
Gone but not forgotten.
LTDmonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2013, 11:09 PM   #32
Hawkeye84

Default Re: Ford targets premium market with Vignale flagship that could make it to Australia

I like the idea, but If they want to chase the luxury car market, they are going to have to do better than giving it a slight exterior upgrade, diamond pressed interior and a fancy name.

People who buy BMWs, Mercs, etc don't want to pay the dollars for a ford that looks very similar to the base model which every Joe blow can buy.

Drop the Lincoln brand (because they have done jack all), make Vignale the new luxury ford brand and make it look considerably different from the base model ford. They have the designers and engineers capable of making an awesome luxury product....i can still dream i guess
Hawkeye84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2013, 11:43 PM   #33
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDmonger View Post
That aint no flagship.
Fairlane
LTD
....RIP....
Gone but not forgotten.
Remember the Galaxie ???
Old 19-09-2013, 01:42 AM   #34
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Vignale is a proposed trim level above Titanium and titanium X...

I doubt you would get anyone in Australia to sit still for a premium priced Mondeo,
the $49,000 Titanium was a hard sell...
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2013, 01:42 AM   #35
1TUFFUTE
Banned

I love the name...the way it's pronounced(looks a little strange spelled out,although the badge looks great). What would people like ford to do.....develope the best Eco engines in the world....package them in small to medium cars and leave it at that. that's STUPID......taking advantage of global ford vehicular architecture by stepping up further into the premium range is exactly what ford should be doing.
And I don't know about yous but unlike EVERY other car brand out there....ford seem to be nailing down nice sleek sharpish with a Austin Martin touch in all their cars for awhile now.
VINYALE...love it
1TUFFUTE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2013, 01:11 PM   #36
NX74205
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1TUFFUTE View Post
I love the name...the way it's pronounced(looks a little strange spelled out,although the badge looks great).
I actually prefer the 'Ghia' name to be reserved for the flagship luxury model, personally, but since Ford sold the rights to that name, they can't use it anymore.

Nevertheless, I agree with the rest of your post.
2005 Ford BF Fairmont (2006-2019)
1989 Ford EA Falcon GL (2000-2007)
1982 Ford KA Laser Ghia (1999-2000)
NX74205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2013, 01:39 PM   #37
Kieron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Never been a fan of numbering in cars names such as the likes of the G6/G6E etc to designate the top line Falc as it's non descriptive and meaningless.

Liked the Ghia badge but I think it's now outlived itself. This new name instantly sounds fresh and sophisticated in my view, as did the Ghia badge when Ford used in in the 70's.
Kieron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2013, 01:42 PM   #38
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDmonger View Post
That aint no flagship.
Fairlane
LTD
....RIP....
Gone but not forgotten.

It's ok.
Old 19-09-2013, 01:51 PM   #39
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Not coming to AU

Quote:
...Ford Australia brand communications manager Neil McDonald says the local division has no plans to launch the Vignale sub-brand here however, revealing it has been designed to specifically target European buyers.
http://www.caradvice.com.au/249864/f...ium-sub-brand/
Old 19-09-2013, 02:17 PM   #40
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by au2000 View Post
Wtf is with the seat pattern? If this is fords future direction I'm stunned & not in a good way
I agree here, usually I'm the odd one out for liking the left of field dodgy looking crap.

Its like Kenworth and their interiors that look like 1920's couches, with the red leather with buttons all over it.

Total crap IMO.

EDIT: Reminds me of old people and their golf uniforms with the V neck vest with colourful diamonds on it. Oooooooo yes I would love some earllllllllllllll greyyy tea!

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 19-09-2013 at 02:24 PM.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2013, 02:48 PM   #41
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieron View Post
Never been a fan of numbering in cars names such as the likes of the G6/G6E etc to designate the top line Falc as it's non descriptive and meaningless.

Liked the Ghia badge but I think it's now outlived itself. This new name instantly sounds fresh and sophisticated in my view, as did the Ghia badge when Ford used in in the 70's.
I like the GHIA badge..

Last edited by csv8; 01-10-2013 at 10:14 AM.
csv8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2013, 02:48 PM   #42
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked View Post
Hopefully the FU gets some ideas from this...diamonds!

The front end changes look very Lincoln-ish...

This car, with the Focus ST's 2.0 EcoBoost (and AWD) would be a winner IMHO.
LeadFoot81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2013, 03:30 PM   #43
Polyal
The 'Stihl' Man
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeadFoot81 View Post
This car, with the Focus ST's 2.0 EcoBoost (and AWD) would be a winner IMHO.
Agreed, but for the love of god give us the EB V6.

I never thought id be saying I want a V6.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2013, 05:30 PM   #44
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

Vignale - still ugly enough for the dogs to bark at. Sounds like a salad dressing too!

RTV Power
FG G6ET 50th Anniversary in Sensation.
While the basic Ford Six was code named Barra, the Turbo version clearly deserved its very own moniker – again enter Gordon Barfield.
We asked him if the engine had actually been called “Seagull” and how that came about.
“Actually it was just call “Gull”, because I named it that. Because we knew it was going to poo on everything”.
Burnout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2013, 05:40 PM   #45
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretched View Post
And rightly so. The Ford brand name is mud here, and no badge snob would ever buy one over a similar Audi, BMW or Merc. It's just not snobby enough. People buy these cheap Euro trash cars just so they can tell people they drive a Merc, BM etc.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2013, 06:08 PM   #46
Kieron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
And rightly so. The Ford brand name is mud here, and no badge snob would ever buy one over a similar Audi, BMW or Merc. It's just not snobby enough. People buy these cheap Euro trash cars just so they can tell people they drive a Merc, BM etc.
You hit the nail on the head mate, Ford AU's brand is mud, they are forever associated with the Falcon which is great for us Ford/Falcon fans, but the public has moved on.

They have to re-brand and shake that 'Falcon Motor Company' image. May not be the time to lift the Ford brand to a higher Euro level yet with Vignale then.
Old 19-09-2013, 06:39 PM   #47
Bossxr8
Peter Car

You can't pin it all on Falcon, Fords have always been an everyday brand, never premium.

That's always been the case for everything they have ever sold. Maybe a few exceptions like the 70's LTD's which were true flagships.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2013, 08:32 PM   #48
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

What a shame its not coming to Australia, huge market gap. The Vignale range could have done well...even if the name needed adapting for the aussie market.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2013, 11:07 PM   #49
MethodX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Vignale was an italian coachbuilder like Ghia.
later bought by Detomaso.
MethodX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2013, 12:16 AM   #50
Kieron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
You can't pin it all on Falcon, Fords have always been an everyday brand, never premium.

That's always been the case for everything they have ever sold. Maybe a few exceptions like the 70's LTD's which were true flagships.
We're getting off topic here but there's not doubting, Fords Australia's past success can be firmly pinned on the Falcon and quite rightly so. Unfortunately, it's time has come as. The buying public have far more choice nowadays.

Ford have to shake that image and re position the brand above the Koreans, Japanese etc the logical and truthful way is to differentiate the brand by going euro, pitching it in the Peugeot, VW, Citroen class (not BMW or Merc) but keeping pricing competitive, I see ford appear to be doing that.
Old 20-09-2013, 06:29 AM   #51
JG34JA

If Ford are selling about 500 Mondeo per month, and 11-14% are private sales as mentioned here previously, that's circa 75 cars private sale per month, Australia wide.

Perhaps the delayed new model, plus a top-of-the-range variant might increase this, but I can see why Ford isn't bringing it here.

At the pricing you'd expect, there's plenty of appeal for many in RWD BMW and Mercedes' cheaper models, not to mention their badges...

Recent trip to UK saw very few Mondeo's in my travels. Plenty of Focus/Fiesta. Ford could do better rebuilding their badge via Focus and Fiesta + spin offs of these like CMax + great ST models: affordable European on the lines of VW but with more reliable drivetrains - and lift customer service and satisfaction!
JG34JA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2013, 08:08 AM   #52
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuthin' fancy View Post
The interior reminds me of a spice girl's jacket in winter.
<deleted: I have a dirty mind that isn't forum appropriate sometimes>

In all seriousness I actually like the looks of it... needs more sc v8 though.
My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Current Ride: Not a falcon, the struggle is real
grandpa_spec_F6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2013, 11:47 AM   #53
max_torq
From the Futura

If it is a ford luxury touring wagon... finally! Make sure it has a panoramic sunroof, good stereo/entertainment system and an HUD, please.
Old 21-09-2013, 03:37 PM   #54
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo View Post
I agree here, usually I'm the odd one out for liking the left of field dodgy looking crap.

Its like Kenworth and their interiors that look like 1920's couches, with the red leather with buttons all over it.

Total crap IMO.

EDIT: Reminds me of old people and their golf uniforms with the V neck vest with colourful diamonds on it. Oooooooo yes I would love some earllllllllllllll greyyy tea!
You guys r complaining about the pattern on a high end sedan.....you realize the Holden Cruize has this pattern. How's that for turning the world upside down
1TUFFUTE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2013, 03:47 PM   #55
Ismegordo
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Smith View Post
http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mell...A#!prettyPhoto

Maybe some further jig saw pieces ...re future models and Falcon replacements. IMHO the new 2014 Mondeo rear end still isn't as upmarket looking as the front.. bet the FG rear upgrade looks better.
Well it's not a bad looking car, But does anyone reall believe it's going to come to Australia, I for one don't think it will.
Ismegordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2013, 04:32 PM   #56
neptune blue
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In the words of Homer J Simpson .......BORING
neptune blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2013, 05:51 PM   #57
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Quote:
Originally Posted by neptune blue View Post
In the words of Homer J Simpson .......BORING
In the mind of Homer Jay Simpson...

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2013, 06:22 PM   #58
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

It's an overpriced Mondeo
It's a Ford
It's ugly
It will be marketed by FOA

This car has no hope here in AU.
Whitey-AMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2013, 07:26 PM   #59
eb2fairmont
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

exactly, cant walk into a ford dealership or service centre and get premium experience...
eb2fairmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2013, 09:45 PM   #60
Cuyper

Quote:
Originally Posted by au2000 View Post
Wtf is with the seat pattern? If this is fords future direction I'm stunned & not in a good way
Looks like left over trimmings from the back of the undertakers shop
Cuyper is offline   Reply With Quote