Toyota Yaris 18 15.65%
Honda Jazz 14 12.17%
Mitsubishi Colt 4 3.48%
Suziki Swift 17 14.78%
Mazda 2 18 15.65%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-08-2006, 04:22 PM   #31
dandaman

I'd go a Focus Hatch even though it's not on their i'd say the price wouldnt be much dearer than any of the options you've given
dandaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 07:51 PM   #32
MoreHPformyXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Still like to know from anyone that may know if the Polo's repair/service costs would be as opposed to Japanese cars on the list. Also would the Fiesta be a similar repair/service cost to the Japanese cars being German?

BA XR6 Mk II Shockwave Sedan - Now Sold - gone but not forgotten

mods: 20% under drive, Pacemaker Comps 4495' (ceramic coated) , 3' Metal Cat, XR6T exhaust - twin 3' tips, F6 CAI, K&N panel filter, PWR trans cooler, customed tuned by Heinrich Performance Tuning HPT 183.7rwkw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATMO SIX
You have become the new SLOANY mate, no real quality to your current post(s).
MoreHPformyXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 09:32 AM   #33
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreHPformyXR6
Still like to know from anyone that may know if the Polo's repair/service costs would be as opposed to Japanese cars on the list. Also would the Fiesta be a similar repair/service cost to the Japanese cars being German?
Asked my dad about his gf's Polo, normally service cost was around $300.

Don't know how much my Fiesta is yet, haven't taken it to Ford yet (their next interval is 30,000km, 10k away for me), though I do change its oil and spark plugs myself, their spark plug change interval is stupidly long. So is oil.
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 08:23 PM   #34
MoreHPformyXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffo
Asked my dad about his gf's Polo, normally service cost was around $300.

Don't know how much my Fiesta is yet, haven't taken it to Ford yet (their next interval is 30,000km, 10k away for me), though I do change its oil and spark plugs myself, their spark plug change interval is stupidly long. So is oil.
Thanks Steffo

mods: 20% under drive, Pacemaker Comps 4495' (ceramic coated) , 3' Metal Cat, XR6T exhaust - twin 3' tips, F6 CAI, K&N panel filter, PWR trans cooler, customed tuned by Heinrich Performance Tuning HPT 183.7rwkw.

Quote:
Old 03-08-2006, 05:00 PM   #35
MoreHPformyXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So far the Mitsubishi Colt hasnt seen 1 vote they dont get a good write up by the Motoring guru's (except in the looks department they rate higher than some of the other models in the poll)

Quote:
Old 04-11-2006, 06:15 PM   #36
MoreHPformyXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well started the process today. Had a look at two cars Toyota Yaris (Hatch boot is tiny so thats out) Mum may consider sedan but she wasnt a huge fan. Test drove a Jazz GLi CVT auto 1.3 as 1.5 was on a test drive. Mum loved it, I thought it would be fine for her. We both loved the space & how the seats can be folded flat etc. My question is with the CVT trans that is just one speed salesman tells me belt driven. We both noticed if your not gentle on gas pedal it just seems to rev a bit but no really go anywhere. We where advised this b4 we went for a drive by salesman (salesman just let us go by ourselves ). It seem to go alot better with gentle accelaration. Would this also be the case with VTi 1.5L CVT with 7 speed sequential shift? Or if needed could you accelrate firmly if needed without the revs you seem to get from 1.3L CVT auto without actually it going anywhere? It went far better with a gentle pressure on the accelarator.

Quote:
Old 05-11-2006, 10:16 AM   #37
Scott

Be "awake" when you get the Polo serviced (if you get one!) I bought my wife a V6 4Motion Bora and when VW service it, they seem to think that "changing the pads and disc's" is part of a major service...... they aren't cheap from VW either and a major service can run well over a grand.

Check out the Euro forums about the Polo, here is a couple of links I use pretty regularly to chack on Euro car problems before I buy them:

http://www.carsurvey.org/model_Volkswagen_Polo.html

http://www.ciao.co.uk/VW_Polo_11826_4

Below is a link to a good Australian VW Forum:

http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 12:21 PM   #38
jabba
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I would get the VW over and above anything else.... They are a far better car then anything else in that line up... You can't beat VW quality

Tuned by Elite Automotive

11.91 @ 117mph Vid
jabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 12:23 PM   #39
MoreHPformyXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks for that. I think the Polo is off her list as she feels it would be to expensive for service & repair. Plus she's a big fan of Japenese cars. Although to Ford Fiesta will be part of test drive process. With my question a couple posts earlier with CVT transmissions is it the case you cant really sink the boot quickly or they just seem to rev & not go anywhere. (like to Jazz yesterday but worked fine with gentle acceleration) Unlike the traditional auto of fiesta/yaris if you accelerate hard it will work in way you expect.

Quote:
Old 05-11-2006, 12:25 PM   #40
05MkIIFutura
SV6000. Yum

Smile

Quote:
It's an automatic 1.4 petrol, with 3 of us in the car (me 112kg, my dad 80kg and her about 55kg) plus luggage, in summer, with the a/c on, we went for a trip to Canberra, 25L took us there, drove us around there for 3 days, drove is back to Sydney. 4.35L/100km it used on average on that trip.
I wouldnt sell that car Steffo, according to the manufacturer that car should use 5.6l/100km on the highway and 8l/100km on the freeway.

Assuming you live in Liverpool, the trip to Canberra and back is 505km

Assuming you do 35km per day for 3 days while driving around Canberra (those who know Canberra will agree that is very optimistic due to the spread of Canberra suburbs), you would have travelled 105km

Thats 610km on 25 litres, or 4.09l/100km, including 105km of urban driving, with 250kg of people, air-con, a slush-box, and luggage.

Thats ASTRONOMICAL. Volkswagen would have quoted you close to 40litres to do that same trip, but with the car empty.

WOW!!!! Whats your secret?? Bugger buying a Prius, get an 01 Polo.
05MkIIFutura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 01:13 PM   #41
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabba
I would get the VW over and above anything else.... They are a far better car then anything else in that line up... You can't beat VW quality
My mums mate has a 4 year old Polo and shes had nothing but trouble with it. Of course different people have different experiences.
Whats the hype with VW quality? My 18 year old Mercedes and BMW are built better than them, or are we talking about the quality of cars these days?
smoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 02:52 PM   #42
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think the whole VW thing is perception. EVery car has problems. But VW if you can afford it is a good bet.

Otherwise, either the 2 or the Swift.
Toyotas are reliable, but they are bland and unimaginative.
If she wants to actually enjoy the car, 2 and Swift for mine (of the ones listed).
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 04:00 PM   #43
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Quote:
With my question a couple posts earlier with CVT transmissions is it the case you cant really sink the boot quickly or they just seem to rev & not go anywhere. (like to Jazz yesterday but worked fine with gentle acceleration) Unlike the traditional auto of fiesta/yaris if you accelerate hard it will work in way you expect.
I've driven a few Colts and they seem to rev for a second before they start to really get going. In sport mode they are quite good. Just need to get used to it. Interior is a bit weird. Car feels alot bigger than what it is due to the windscreen being 50m away. Usual Mitsi thing. Apart from that not a bad car with good warranty.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 04:38 PM   #44
SNB05T
Dan Brown Photography

if price is unlimited, ralliart colt or focus xr5, otherwise mazda 2 is fairly good car my father in law drives one (yeah i know sad ) economy and power are good but too small for me :
Old 05-11-2006, 04:45 PM   #45
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05MkIIFutura
I wouldnt sell that car Steffo, according to the manufacturer that car should use 5.6l/100km on the highway and 8l/100km on the freeway.

Assuming you live in Liverpool, the trip to Canberra and back is 505km

Assuming you do 35km per day for 3 days while driving around Canberra (those who know Canberra will agree that is very optimistic due to the spread of Canberra suburbs), you would have travelled 105km

Thats 610km on 25 litres, or 4.09l/100km, including 105km of urban driving, with 250kg of people, air-con, a slush-box, and luggage.

Thats ASTRONOMICAL. Volkswagen would have quoted you close to 40litres to do that same trip, but with the car empty.

WOW!!!! Whats your secret?? Bugger buying a Prius, get an 01 Polo.
The car was traded on a brand new Golf 2.0 FSI Comfortline, six-spd auto just under a month ago. Oh and to whoever it was that said you'd only get 8k for a trade-in on an A03 Polo 1.4 16V earlier in the thread, they traded the Polo for $12k.

I find that VW's fuel consumption claims are quite conservative. VW claims 8.5L/100km combined average for the 2.0 FSI auto Golf (click here) however both our Golf and an identical 2.0 FSI auto that my best mate's mum bought are averaging 7.5L/100km. Coindidentally, that's the same amount of petrol that my 400cc smaller capacity, 300kg lighter, manual Fiesta is using. And far ahead of any of its competitors.

:
Old 05-11-2006, 05:00 PM   #46
punkin
having time of her life!

the mazda 2 rocks, great zippy little car with HUGE amounts of room inside - the only one of your list that could fit tent poles, glaive, haulberk & rapier inside, with room enough for chainmaile, tent, bedding & chest with clothing in it - which was my criteria for purchasing a small car - something I could take to reenactment events (and sleep in if need be).

1963 Chev Impala | Black | 2 door : <- Angel
Mazda 2 | Turbo (custom) | Spicy Orange <- punkin
punkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 06:31 PM   #47
nb_351
building the xe...

if i say the polo, will you come over to sydney and buy it from my work? i can get spotters fee for that... lol
they are a great little car thogh...
would she like a diesel? or is sheone of these people that think diesels only for 4wds and trucks...
they are a top little car...
so is the 2... we have a 3 aswell, and that is one of the best cars i have ever driven/owned... definitely the ebst ive owned...
not the quickest, but if its for your parents, then im sure that doesnt sit high on their list... although the diesels get up and go, theyre very torquey...
nb_351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 08:12 PM   #48
pecker73
Falcon Addict

If we are talking about bang 4 your bucks... The Swift is brilliant.

My sister has one and its a very nice ride and not too slow for the $$$

Hey, if your Mum can wait... Get her in the Swift Sport !!!

Carsguide got a spin in one and think its great value.

Check it out..

http://carsguide.news.com.au/story/0...003140,00.html

Happy Hunting.... Just DON'T do what my old girl did.. Bought a FREAKING VOLVO S40.... Oh the shame.... :

DAILY-2006 BF Falcon XR6 Turbo Sedan. 6 Speed Auto.

1/4 Mile......13.84sec/103.38Mph BF XR6T with an official 211.0 rwkw :

Last edited by pecker73; 05-11-2006 at 08:56 PM.
pecker73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 08:50 PM   #49
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by pecker73
If we are talking about bang 4 your bucks... The Swift is brilliant.

My sister has one and its a very nice ride and not too slow for the $$$

Hey, if your Mum can wait... Get her in the Swift Turbo !!!

Carsguide got a spin in one and think its great value.

Check it out..

http://carsguide.news.com.au/story/0...003140,00.html

Happy Hunting.... Just DON'T do what my old girl did.. Bought a FREAKING VOLVO S40.... Oh the shame.... :
The Swift Sport is not turbo. Its a 92kW 148Nm n/a 1.6 4cyl.

And the S40 is a far better car then the Swift will ever be... no shame in that whatsoever.

:
Old 05-11-2006, 08:58 PM   #50
pecker73
Falcon Addict

Talking

Quote:
The Swift Sport is not turbo. Its a 92kW 148Nm n/a 1.6 4cyl.

And the S40 is a far better car then the Swift will ever be... no shame in that whatsoever.

Doh : :

I did mean to type sport... Dam XR6T drivers... Go to bed thinking of turbo's, dream turbo's, wake up... more turbo's.

Addicted to Boost !!

DAILY-2006 BF Falcon XR6 Turbo Sedan. 6 Speed Auto.

1/4 Mile......13.84sec/103.38Mph BF XR6T with an official 211.0 rwkw :
pecker73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 09:00 PM   #51
Paris Hilton
Custom User Title

The Peugeot 207/307 HDi is another choice that fits the requirements...or a run-out 206.
Paris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 09:01 PM   #52
XR8-260
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The Jazz and the Mazda 2 for me.
XR8-260 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 09:15 PM   #53
MoreHPformyXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
So far the Mitsubishi Colt hasnt seen 1 vote they dont get a good write up by the Motoring guru's (except in the looks department they rate higher than some of the other models in the poll)
Ok who voted for the Colt lol.

Quote:
Old 06-11-2006, 10:55 PM   #54
MoreHPformyXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Well started the process today. Had a look at two cars Toyota Yaris (Hatch boot is tiny so thats out) Mum may consider sedan but she wasnt a huge fan. Test drove a Jazz GLi CVT auto 1.3 as 1.5 was on a test drive. Mum loved it, I thought it would be fine for her. We both loved the space & how the seats can be folded flat etc. My question is with the CVT trans that is just one speed salesman tells me belt driven. We both noticed if your not gentle on gas pedal it just seems to rev a bit but no really go anywhere. We where advised this b4 we went for a drive by salesman (salesman just let us go by ourselves ). It seem to go alot better with gentle accelaration. Would this also be the case with VTi 1.5L CVT with 7 speed sequential shift? Or if needed could you accelrate firmly if needed without the revs you seem to get from 1.3L CVT auto without actually it going anywhere? It went far better with a gentle pressure on the accelarator.
Update Mum's booked a Ford Fiesta for a test drive this Saturday LX 5 Door Auto & later saturday VT-i 1.5 CVT Honda Jazz (as she only got to drive the 1.3 GLi last weekend)

Quote:
Old 07-11-2006, 09:09 PM   #55
blackahcdx

go the swift
blackahcdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 09:46 PM   #56
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Hey MoreHPformyXR6,

Just wondering how you're going to work the Fiesta into your Poll results that doesn't include the Fiesta. I assume you didnt include it to get an unbiased opinion.

I'm still trying to pick between the Polo, Fiesta and Swift for my wife. Trying to work out whether the Polo is worth the extra couple of grand over the Swift, and whether the Fiesta is to the same standard as the Swift. Still quite a bit undecided.

Went for a test drive in the Swift, and was a little disappointed with the performance, though it was a brand new car with only 10km on the clock so didnt get the revs up.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 01:02 AM   #57
Uni

Polo.. far and away the most mature car in that group. pricier servicing is offset by the fact it will last for years and years.. especially in the diesel, which, from experience, is an absolute winner. quite rapid too for a wee little thing

Uni/.
Uni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 07:44 AM   #58
MoreHPformyXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Ghia
Hey MoreHPformyXR6,

Just wondering how you're going to work the Fiesta into your Poll results that doesn't include the Fiesta. I assume you didnt include it to get an unbiased opinion.

I'm still trying to pick between the Polo, Fiesta and Swift for my wife. Trying to work out whether the Polo is worth the extra couple of grand over the Swift, and whether the Fiesta is to the same standard as the Swift. Still quite a bit undecided.

Went for a test drive in the Swift, and was a little disappointed with the performance, though it was a brand new car with only 10km on the clock so didnt get the revs up.
G'Day Silver Ghia

Re the Fiesta as my first post says I decided to exclude the Fiesta from the poll. As I didnt want a skewed result. As for the Polo I think its a great little car but as its Mum's decision its now out as the service costs would be higher than the Japenese cars (plus she's a big Japenese cars) Thinks for feedback on the Swift from what ive read its performance is only average compared to some of its best in the class. I personally like the Swift not haveing driven it yet, but I dont think that or the Mazda2 are going to be given a gurnsey. Mum doesnt like the shape of the 2 & thinks of the Suziki as a bike manufacturer. As its her $$$ buying the car the call is her's.

Cheers

Scott

Quote:
Old 11-11-2006, 07:51 PM   #59
MoreHPformyXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well car has been signed up for today. Mum decided on the Ford Fiesta LX 5 Door Auto (Prestige Paint).

The deal was pretty good IMO. Drive away no more to pay in the Fiesta with 6 months rego as above for $19000 (including Dash mat Feista Floor mats & First Aid kit). Less trade Mitsubishi Mirage 2000 (Silver) 1.5L 5speed. With 76K standard CE Hatchback with a/c. (note no power steer) which they gave 5k trade (change over 14k)

Now mum's deciding on the colour she would like. She seems to favour tonic & also like's tango. If it was me id probally go tango or sublime. Thanks to everybody for there input. None of the three colour's I mentioned above in the flesh or anything like whats on Fords website.

Quote:

Last edited by MoreHPformyXR6; 11-11-2006 at 08:05 PM.
Old 11-11-2006, 08:09 PM   #60
Steffo
LPG > You

Very good choice. The absolute best car you can buy for under 20k. Best of luck with it.

: