Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 06-06-2011, 10:43 PM   #31
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Ford's near future plans

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
FG 2 needs to be really, really good to get Fords goolies out of the fire. ie it must stand out on the road, not blend in with the traffic.It must be a car that stops people in their tracks and say "whats that" to continue to be"plain jane" isn't going to work. Yeah,I know Holden hasn't changed much past 5 years. But FG2 must be different to save Falcon...
I don't understand why people think FG2 is going to look much different from FG? It is FG2, not FH!! You'll get a bumper here, different colour blinder & a small twick there..
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2011, 10:45 PM   #32
Bossxr8
Peter Car

From what i've heard they aren't even going to advertise it, as only fleets buy it. The stupidity is beyond belief.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2011, 10:48 PM   #33
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe5619
I don't understand why people think FG2 is going to look much different from FG? It is FG2, not FH!! You'll get a bumper here, different colour blinder & a small twick there..
I think we could be suprised. Ford got stung by people saying it looked too similar to BF, and more than likely they will want to differentiate it away from FG as much as they can.

Supposed to have a front end more like Territory.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2011, 11:11 PM   #34
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
No one has actually said whether it will be FGII or 'FH'...all Ford has said is 'FG update'. The forum has applied the FGII moniker but this may be incorrect, time will tell.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2011, 11:14 PM   #35
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Ford builds the ZF6HP under license in the US as the 6R80,
I wonder if FGII will see a running change to this gearbox....
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2011, 11:18 PM   #36
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
I reckon you could be on to something there John.

May even bring the unit vehicle price down a bit?

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Old 06-06-2011, 11:22 PM   #37
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
I think we could be suprised. Ford got stung by people saying it looked too similar to BF, and more than likely they will want to differentiate it away from FG as much as they can.

I was under the impression that any external changes, along with interior and systems updates, will take place with Ecoboost next year, and that will mark a new model?

As good as the lpi is I can't see why they'd bother with any Mk2 badges.

We need to remember, Ford are not Holden. Holden put a new badge on with no changes to the car apart from the badges and then call it a Series II, and get away with it.
I'll bet that one day Holden might decontent a car in some way and signify these "changes" with an exciting press release like, "The Alloytec now has less power for better economy" or some other spin like AFM.
Old 06-06-2011, 11:23 PM   #38
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
I reckon you could be on to something there John.

May even bring the unit vehicle price down a bit?
The difference is that box uses Mercon LV not Mercon SP like the ZF,
Ford USA sells the oil for get this...$5 a quart (litre)
Old 06-06-2011, 11:27 PM   #39
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Quote:
From what I've read it's nowhere near as good; Ford's tolerances aren't anywhere near ZF's. It also explains why the 6R80 is heavier than the "identical" ZF6HP.
Old 06-06-2011, 11:29 PM   #40
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falc'man
I was under the impression that any external changes, along with interior and systems updates, will take place with Ecoboost next year, and that will mark a new model?

As good as the lpi is I can't see why they'd bother with any Mk2 badges.

We need to remember, Ford are not Holden. Holden put a new badge on with no changes to the car apart from the badges and then call it a Series II, and get away with it.
I'll bet that one day Holden might decontent a car in some way and signify these "changes" with an exciting press release like, "The Alloytec now has less power for better economy" or some other spin like AFM.
I seem to recall a quote from Mr Graziano saying that an FG update is due September/October.

Old 06-06-2011, 11:37 PM   #41
Paxton
Cobblers!

Quote:
I'd doubt this for the simple fact that the Petrol Territory got the ZF. If the 6R80 was to go across the board, the Territory would have gone 6R80 first.
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2011, 11:38 PM   #42
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Quote:
I seem to recall a quote from Mr Graziano saying that an FG update is due September/October.
Cool. I was under the impression it blew out till next year. The earlier the better.
Old 06-06-2011, 11:42 PM   #43
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxton
I'd doubt this for the simple fact that the Petrol Territory got the ZF. If the 6R80 was to go across the board, the Territory would have gone 6R80 first.

I agree, I don't think Ford would bother unless they would have to.
Old 06-06-2011, 11:45 PM   #44
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Which is odd...why do the copy for just the TDi when they could have done it across the board...couldnt be that many more "unique" parts for the petrol version. bell housing and a couple of things perhaps? Although the bellhousing points must be close the the ZF...dont know.

They installed that trans for what, 12,000 units per annum? ~1000 TDi's per month would be around their target I would have thought.

The frog 5 speeder now completely gone?

I reckon FG2 will be here in September'ish...with new centre console, front and tweaked rear.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2011, 11:46 PM   #45
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falc'man
Cool. I was under the impression it blew out till next year. The earlier the better.
Here 'tis.

http://www.carpoint.com.au/news/2011...in-march-24336

Quote:
Meanwhile, the four-cylinder Falcon has been delayed until 2012 because it won't be ready in time for the October facelift.

"Rather than launch it very late in the year, we decided to hold it back until the start of next year so we can get the most attention on that vehicle," Graziano said.
Notice how he said "that vehicle" as opposed to that engine in the Falcon, or words to that effect. Hmmm...

Old 07-06-2011, 12:20 AM   #46
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Don't get me wrong here, the ZF is a great move across the board and kudos to Ford for signing up
I suspect they have a long contract with ZF, either time or gearbox number but either way the engineering
is all done the boxes work fine and a later fine tune might be changing to a a Ford copy of the same box.

Don't know when but maybe when it suits Ford to switch all the I-6 gearboxes at the same time....
Old 07-06-2011, 12:26 AM   #47
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
IF !! Ford want to save the Falcon..it needs more than mild face lift. It needs to be very different or there will be no FH!!!!
Old 07-06-2011, 09:01 AM   #48
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8

Unless there is metal changes (which I've read nothing about) I can't see how plastic bumper changes can make it look much different to what we already have??
Old 07-06-2011, 11:23 AM   #49
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Unless there is metal changes (which I've read nothing about) I can't see how plastic bumper changes can make it look much different to what we already have??
Take a look at the Camry and Aurion then...they share the same platform, passenger cell and hanging panels. Yet they look different because they have manipulated the looks via changing the cheap and easy stuff (the bumpers and lights) to achieve a different look.

Old 07-06-2011, 11:55 AM   #50
HaLLiS

Quote:
IF !! Ford want to save the Falcon..it needs more than mild face lift. It needs to be very different or there will be no FH!!!!
IMHO there is nothing wrong with the current FG falcon in terms of looks, most people who own one will agree.

But in saying that im holding out for FG2 fpv. Cant wait.
HaLLiS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2011, 11:55 AM   #51
dimka100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hope they bring on a bit more power and economy for the I6 a bit less weight at the front like the Terri update would be great too and finally fit proper 275 tyres for all performance models …
dimka100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2011, 12:14 PM   #52
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Take a look at the Camry and Aurion then...they share the same platform, passenger cell and hanging panels. Yet they look different because they have manipulated the looks via changing the cheap and easy stuff (the bumpers and lights) to achieve a different look.
Agreed, but light shapes are totally different on those cars & to do that on FG would required metal change.. Not going to happen, so light shapes will stay the same. We might get a different desgin colour pattern, maybe. I'm happy for FG2 to look different, just dont think people should except much.

Does the Camry & Aurion have the same doors, qtr pannel too, bonnet, boot?? Don't know that one.
Old 07-06-2011, 12:16 PM   #53
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Joe surely the FG2 will fall in line with the Tez and use that style front end..

The interior wont stay the same, again drop the Tez style in.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 07-06-2011, 12:25 PM   #54
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
Joe surely the FG2 will fall in line with the Tez and use that style front end..

The interior wont stay the same, again drop the Tez style in.
hearing you.. but, let me put it this way.. The Tez got a totally new front from front window forward & totally different rear end lights & eveyone still says it looks like the old one.. FG2 is not going to get anywhere near this amount of change..
Old 07-06-2011, 12:33 PM   #55
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Anyone that says the new tez looks anything like the old one needs to see spec savers.

Yes its not a drastic change, but the front is heaps different.

The falcon is going to look like an orphan (perhaps a precursor) as the Fiesta, Focus, Mondeo, Ranger and Tez will all wear the corporate look.

Its going to be a tragedy if the FG2 isnt tarted up a bit, because regardless of the LiLPG, EcoBoost etc etc if it looks old then it will struggle.

The only thing that goes against my theory is the Commy..it still sells and it looks old. But there are so many other reasons why that is so too.

Ah..very frustrating.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 07-06-2011, 12:45 PM   #56
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Agreed, but light shapes are totally different on those cars & to do that on FG would required metal change.. Not going to happen, so light shapes will stay the same. We might get a different desgin colour pattern, maybe. I'm happy for FG2 to look different, just dont think people should except much.

Does the Camry & Aurion have the same doors, qtr pannel too, bonnet, boot?? Don't know that one.
Yes, the lights are totally different shapes, but next time you see a current model Camry or Aurion, look real close at the shape of the shutlines in the bodywork and where the lights meet. Particularly in relation to the back end of the cars - follow the Z-shaped shutline around the bumper and tail lights:

Essentially it's a smoke and mirrors trick to give the impression that they are 2 different cars whilst being not that different at all. IMO its a great idea to save costs when bringing a new model to the market (or a facelift) as it can save having to change sheetmetal which costs a bomb with having to change dies etc. Although I think the Aurion may have a different bonnet.

As for the references to the SZ Territory styling, I seem to recall that it was Ford's new global design theme for SUV's - not sedans or cars. It may not make an appearance. In fact, I seem to recall the 2013 Taurus styling to have been mentioned for the FG facelift??

Old 07-06-2011, 12:57 PM   #57
DanielXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
FG 2 needs to be really, really good to get Fords goolies out of the fire. ie it must stand out on the road, not blend in with the traffic.It must be a car that stops people in their tracks and say "whats that" to continue to be"plain jane" isn't going to work. Yeah,I know Holden hasn't changed much past 5 years. But FG2 must be different to save Falcon...
It must also work and if it doesn't work it should be recalled and fixed properly. Not on a case by case basis or when the media make it too hard to ignore. Standing by their local products and issueing recalls when needed is something Ford have never done in the past and have been paying the price for with each successive local model as it underperforms in the market next to its competitors. They always grossly underestimate the harm that approach causes the brand.

The main risk to Falcon and Territorys future is Ford and how they treat their customers. If that doesn't change, no amount or marketing, sheet metal changes or tech will help. At best it will just delay the inevitable.

That said FGII needs to be a winner on all fronts as they are the underdog and need to start acting like they are. They aren't a niche player, as some on here like to explain away their failings in the market, they are a mass production car company that keeps screwing up and loosing customers. Time is well overdue they changed their attitude towards product and customers.

Terri pricing suggests they haven't realised that yet.
DanielXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2011, 01:14 PM   #58
MONSOON

the delay on the ecoboost Falcon is not good, many fleets have a 4cyl only policy, which puts falcon off the list, I don't know if it would fit but maybe the tezza's diesel should be considered for the the falcon too as diesel cars are popular these days.
Having seen the new focus on ford's website, I don't think it will sell any better than the current outdated car, it really looks crook IMO

I do beleive the hanging panels are different between camry and aurion

Last edited by MONSOON; 07-06-2011 at 01:18 PM. Reason: extra word not needed
MONSOON is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2011, 02:11 PM   #59
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Ford really needs to sort out its customer service and build quality..

The last 7 - 8 years Ford has had a terrible reputation for building cars that are troublesome, and having representative dealers who don't give a damn!! I've been to hell and back with Ford and one dealer with some major issues on one of my cars, to the point where I'd rather drive a Holden then buy another Ford product no matter how much I like them!! They would have to be the most unhelpful bunch of individuals I have ever dealt with in my entire life.. Everythings the customers problem, they do as little as possible to help you so you just give up and walk away, when theres an issue you have to prove to them its an issue at your own cost.

Then they wonder why they are losing customers. No good having all these beaut cars with no customers because they simply won't buy your product anymore! How can you strive to survive in a tough market where you can't even look after the customers you have, let alone try and market to new ones is beyond me!

Last edited by Smoke Pursuit; 07-06-2011 at 02:19 PM.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2011, 02:49 PM   #60
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Those pics are interesting... I didn't realise just how much these 2 cars a the same...